Comments

• Reply 181 of 195
    Promises, promises.
  • Reply 182 of 195
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Well what else can he say?

Exactly. He has no choice as he watches the LG tablet crash and burn.
  • Reply 183 of 195
    LG is under a lot of pressure to right their ship. Their handset business has really gone down over the past several quarters. LG's arch rival is Samsung, not Apple. Here's an interesting article about how Android simply pursues the the bottom of the barrel in the smartphone market ever since the iPhone was launched in 2007. Literally, Apple came out of nowhere to become the most profitable cellphone (not just the smartphone) maker in the world. The most telling statistic: Apple's share of the global cellphone market is 3% but Apple makes 48% of the profit (EBIT).

http://www.asymco.com/2010/08/17/and...iggest-losers/
  • Reply 184 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Just carry around a 13 inch MBP and all your problems are solved. It is the lightest best laptop on the market. And it is totally durable to.

No it's not I can assure you of that.

I carry around tools and parts and holding a laptop in your arms because there isn't a desk around is a complete pain to try and pull off because a laptop doesn't balance well. The iPad is perfectly balanced.
  • Reply 185 of 195
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

None of these hardware OEM folks seem to get that without compelling software apps, it's just another web browsing device. That's fine, but it's still the proverbial case of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Well, it is Android. They will be relying on Android market to give the code they need. Will they succeed is another question, but as other Android tablets will start emerging, I would expect there will be Documents To Go and other productivity software available.
  • Reply 186 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Just carry around a 13 inch MBP and all your problems are solved. It is the lightest best laptop on the market. And it is totally durable to.

Well, best is matter of taste (and needs), but lightest... hardly:

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/portege/R700

13" fully featured lappy that starts at 1.1kg. Short of integrated graphics, pretty nice specs.

I had it in my hands on Toshiba's 25 anniversary event, very impressive. Lighter than number of 10" netbooks.
  • Reply 187 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You'd agree that 3 years is a decade in the wireless industry.

With heavy weights that are proven like Apple and Google, LG should stick to what it does well and not bet the farm on this vision.

That is really silly thing to say here. Apple didn't stick to what they did, now, have they? They pretty much reinvented themselves by starting doing what they didn't do before.

I'm not going to say that everyone can repeat same success, but likewise I'm not going to say no-one else can either. I am hoping they will be successful at least enough to motivate others to try - I'd like to see as much competition in tablet market as I ca get, and equally awesome products coming out of that competition.
  • Reply 188 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant;

You are wrong yet again. The procedure is the same except you hit copy. I would select all 5 pictures, hit copy, and paste all 5 pics at once, not one at a time as you claim, into the replied to email. Good luck on your travels. Next time grab your tin foil hat to go along with your Air.

Yes, you are quite correct. I had forgotten all about this "capability" as it was such a pain. Perhaps you should try it after importing 4 to 7 mb pics into the Photo app. Sending them unsized is a bit unsociable and won't get through on most email services anyway. So, resize. That's another app. Then back to the Photo app. Oops, there are no file names. So, which are the resized 5 of the now 100's of pics dumped into Saved Photos?

Give me my tin hat any day. I'd rather enjoy life than screw around with an app that may be acceptable to you but is not to me. Nor, do I suspect to most who enjoy photography. At present, the gap between the iPad and a laptop, in Photos and other areas, is too large to render the iPad usable in a standalone environment. That's the point many have made. Obviously there are many who's needs are sufficiently confined that it works for them. However, for those of us who are accustomed to using the capability we purchased in a laptop, the iPad simply does not cut it for certain tasks.

As I also stated, I used the iPad as my primary device. But when I need to get something done, I guess I reach for my tin hat.
  • Reply 189 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

*sigh*

When will people get it. Tablets aren't designed for productivity. They are designed for leisurely use. Anybody who is serious about getting work done will pick up a laptop. Not a netbook, or a smartphone, or a tablet--a full featured and powerful laptop.

Actually, even if you do want to use iPad for work it can do that too, just invest in an Apple BT keyboard and a case with a good stand. When iOS4 for iPad is released it is really going to shine, and my guess would be any advantage LG's tablet could have over the iPad will be wiped out with the 2nd gen iPad.
  • Reply 190 of 195
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

It is interesting how gadgets are better than Apple gadgets when they are announced but never or hardly ever when they actually get released.

Just reading this article I'm getting higher off the vapour(ware) than even brucep is normally
  • Reply 191 of 195
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lol... "arrested and charged with possession of BS with intent to troll"

• Reply 192 of 195
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

• Reply 193 of 195
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

LG Display, an affiliate of LG Electronics, provides displays for the iPad, but has been unable to keep up with demand for the device.

Anyone else see a conflict of interest here?

Could LG be purposefully delaying iPad display production to lessen its market share in preparation for its own tablet computer's launch?
  • Reply 194 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

... If you boot a tablet and it has to load the OS from the C: drive, then you've already failed.

Brilliant!

You probably already know this but it evokes what Steve Jobs said about the subject:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by His iNess

...What we tried to do was reimagine the tablet. I think Microsoft did a lot of interesting work on the tablet. What we've done is not compete with what they did. You know, they're completely stylus based. What we said was, if you need a stylus, you've already failed.

Apple is at least a decade ahead of anyone else in this market. Conversely, in 1981 my opinion was that IBM's original PC set computing progress behind by at least that much. Windows in all its incarnations has only prolonged its inevitable demise.

Someone will eventually come up with a viable competitive product, but I don't believe it will be a behemoth like LG or Microsoft or even Google, and by that time who knows what Apple will have developed.
  • Reply 195 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Anyone else see a conflict of interest here?

Could LG be purposefully delaying iPad display production to lessen its market share in preparation for its own tablet computer's launch?

No, that's just how the industry works. Actually, things like this are common in various industries in which the OEM supplier also develops and markets their own branded products. The LG Display business unit is under a mandate to be as efficient and profitable as possible. If they don't deliver, there are other sources (like LG's archenemy Samsung) that Apple could go to in the future. LG Display doesn't really care whether they sell the displays to Apple or LG Electronics or anyone else. They just want to produce and sell, sell, sell.

That being said, an OEM buyer like Apple (or HP, Dell, Acer, Motorola, Sony, etc.) needs to spread out their supply sources and have the OEM manufacturers compete with each other for best pricing, quality, value quotient, and delivery terms. As far as chips, Apple doesn't want to rely on generic chips designed by OEM companies or by potential competitors, so that's why Apple has been snapping up small chip design companies to come up with proprietary chips that they can fine tune to the iOS.

LG and Samsung pretty much dominate the OEM production of displays and semiconductors. In fact, these businesses are much more profitable for them than selling their own branded phones. It doesn't make any sense for them to cut back OEM production when their goal is to keep the factories humming at full capacity. But, if they do come out with their own smartphones and tablets that create huge demand, then they would get priority over other OEM buyers like Apple. That's a very unlikely scenario for the near future.