Acer exec says Apple's 'closed' iPad will drop to 20% market share

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

why "should"? because you are dictator of the world? because some law says so? because everything should be like what you personally want?

or "should" you be simply responsible yourself to choose products that meet your personal requirements, and stop expecting everyone to cater to your convictions and desires?

yes, Apple is arrogant and their attitude is "take it or leave it." so ... leave it. but please stop whimpering about it.

No because I am the customer that paid full price for the device which makes it mine. I know thats an odd concept for fanboys.
  • Reply 222 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

No you aren't. In 2001, Apple's total sales (including online and the first newly opened retail stores) was 5.4B. Apple made nearly 7x that in total sales for the most recent year used in that article. Just the sales from Apple's retail stores are now 1B greater than what Apple made as a company 9 years ago. I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed most of Apple's sales happen in the Apple store, the claim was that the Apple stores are one of the biggest money making retail stores around, which they are.

While I haven't gone back and read the thread again I believe the point was being made that Apple still sells more online then they do in retail stores. I don't disagree that Apple stores make a solid profit but I do agree with the othe member that most of the time when an Apple store is packed its with teens using facebook.
  • Reply 223 of 235
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If I buy a device I should have the option to install a plugin on my device.

You do have that option. There are third party solutions. Apple has the right not to do it for you. Rights cut both ways.
  • Reply 224 of 235
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

While I haven't gone back and read the thread again I believe the point was being made that Apple still sells more online then they do in retail stores. I don't disagree that Apple stores make a solid profit but I do agree with the other member that most of the time when an Apple store is packed its with teens using facebook.

I don't recall anyone pointing that out, which given the fact that there are only 300 retail stores (mostly within the US, stores in 9 other countries), anyone claiming the retail store was the main mover of Apple products would be pretty foolish. On this page, someone claimed Apple was the most profitable retailer per sq ft and then posted the data when requested. Then I corrected his interpretation of the data

As far as Apple Store usage, the only information I have for that is anecdotal. The Louisville KY Apple Store has some teens in the store, but most of the customers are typically 20s and up and are using a pretty wide variety of applications. Just my personal experience when we've gone in there, which we tend to do reasonably often as my kids enjoy the store too
  • Reply 225 of 235
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

No because I am the customer that paid full price for the device which makes it mine. I know thats an odd concept for fanboys.

did someone promise you plug-ins would work? were you deceived? no. then own up to the fact you made a mistake - it's your mistake - and just move on. or hack it, since you own it, and do whatever you can with it. or sell it on eBay. or turn it into a flowerpot or whatever. but please stop whining.
  • Reply 226 of 235
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Where did you get Apple hating out of my statement? Oh, that's right, I said something that you disagree with, so under the Appleinsider rules I am an Apple Hater. Maybe it is you that should move out of la-la land.

I never said anything about the effectivness of the stores, I didn't say anything about how much they sold, I statement an observation I made when I entered several of them, all the computers were being used by people browsing the internet.

Yawn... return to under the bridge
  • Reply 227 of 235
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

"? Apple's total sales in 2001 were $5.4 billion. Apple Stores this year: $6.6 billion. (Apple's total sales this year were $36.5 billion.)"

So am I reading this correctly. In close to ten years Apple only increased its retail store revenue by 1 billion? Wouldn't that prove the point that indeed most shopping for Apple is still done online seeing total sales were 36.5 billion.

Well, obviously (as someone else said) you are reading it incorrectly. Am I surprised? No.

Just some more stats just in case... Apple has grown 7x in 9 years and is continuing to grow at an accelerating rate. Likely Apple will do over $62-63Bn this year (FY2010) which would be >12x in 10 years. Insane. The same size as Dell, but vastly more profitable (~6.5x). That will also be about the same hardware revenue than IBM this year (though IBM GS makes them 50% bigger overall). Same net income as IBM on 65% of the revenue.
  • Reply 228 of 235
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Yawn... return to under the bridge

That's right, another typical response from an one-eyed AI user. Can you please come up with a proper response, or do you not have one?
  • Reply 229 of 235
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

That's right, another typical response from an one-eyed AI user.

Well there are a lot of pirates who post here. Besides, eye patches are hot! heh
  • Reply 230 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Before you say I'm a troll, remember the story where Jobs walks out of a restaurant cause he can't get a table? It was the lead story at AI and the photos were picked apart to see if they were fakes. Comparing shadows on objects and such stuff.

-Would you wait around if you couldnt get a table at a restaurant????? I would go elsewhere too. Im sure you would stand in the street for an hour waiting for your table, all the while trolling the Mac sites with your Android phone.
  • Reply 231 of 235
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It is now nearly a year after your prediction Mr. Wang and iPad still holds nearly 100% if the tablet market!
  • Reply 232 of 235
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It is now nearly a year after your prediction Mr. Wang and iPad still holds nearly 100% if the tablet market!

So Acer has followed up that analysis by complaining that Apple is too litigious. Yeah, that must be it.
  • Reply 233 of 235
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I love these "In Hindsight........" threads. Lots of shoes being eaten.
  • Reply 234 of 235
    More specific info from Google based on screen size. They show .9% of devices accessing the Android Market in the last 7 days to be 7" and up (extra large).

So the "maybe lots of tablets aren't running Honeycomb" idea doesn't seem to be true. I suppose we could still imagine that there are lots of tablets that infrequently access the market, but there's no reason to think that would be any more true of tablets than any other Android device, and the pie chart is showing total percentages among all devices. That is, its just as likely that handsets would be missed by this metric as tablets so the percentages are probably roughly accurate.

If actual Android tablet sales are much higher than the .9% it doesn't look like it would be by much (or could even be lower) which makes the 1.2 million figure pretty plausible. It also makes talk of 30% Android tablet "market share" absolute nonsense.
  • Reply 235 of 235
    -----