Microsoft to spend over $500m to catch up to iPhone, Android

Comments

• Reply 141 of 188
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    11) No themes or customization of the UI.

It's sad that I have to jailbreak my phone just so I can get GrooveShark, random ringtones, and an itinerary on my lock screen.

These things force people to jailbreak their phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Never underestimate your opponent, Microsoft or the power of a good marketing campaign.

The iPhone's main weaknesses:

1- Only one model for sale;

2- Only one form factor and shape;

3- No options besides storage capacity;

4- No new model or features for one year;

5- No choice of cell phone carrier in the United States;

6- No possibility to listen to FM radio;

7- No possibility to listen to music encoded with modern lossless audio codecs such as .ape, .flac or .wv;

8- No possibility to install third party software outside of software and features approved by Apple to be included in the App Store (which negates the right of property of iPhone owners and their right to choose which software to install on the iPhone they buy);

9- A 300% or 350% profit margin on iPhone units costing $200 to build and sold for $600 or $700 to cell phone carriers;

10- No real competition in smartphones until now, so no incentive for Apple to address the iPhone's shortcomings.

Apple made a fortune in a monopoly situation. Let's see how well it will do for itself once consumers have a choice of models, makers and carriers.

• Reply 142 of 188
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    11. Consistent UI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The iPhone's main strengths:

3- No wading through confusing options besides storage capacity;

4- No new model or features for one year, so you know exactly when the one you just bought will be obsoleted;

5- No wading through confusing carrier plans in the United States;

6- No crappy FM radio, listen to what you want to, when you want to;

7- No fussing with arcane audio codecs such as .ape, .flac or .wv, it just works;

8- No worries about software that trashes your phone, software and features reviewed by Apple to be included in the App Store;

9- Apple does well financially, so you know they'll be there when you need them for support, and there will always be an improved model in the future, protecting your app investment;

10- No real competition in smartphones, other phones just don't compare to the iPhone.

Apple revolutionized the smartphone. Let's see how it will continue to do so in the future.

• Reply 143 of 188
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

The education system in this country is and has been in such a shambles for years from chronic underfunding

How about if we stick to facts?

It would be hard to find anyone who disagrees with the first part of your statement. Clearly, our public education system is a mess.

HOWEVER, the statement that this is because of chronic underfunding is pure speculation (mostly fostered by the teachers' unions). My daughter's private school spends far less per student than the local public school. The public school struggles to get 60% of its students to 'satisfactory' on standardized tests while my daughter's school always has >> 95% rated as satisfactory.

There are major problems in the public school system that have nothing to do with money. Simply throwing money at the problem is unlikely to have an impact on them. So far, no one has demonstrated that more money = better education.
  • Reply 144 of 188
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How about if we stick to facts?

It would be hard to find anyone who disagrees with the first part of your statement. Clearly, our public education system is a mess.

HOWEVER, the statement that this is because of chronic underfunding is pure speculation (mostly fostered by the teachers' unions). My daughter's private school spends far less per student than the local public school. The public school struggles to get 60% of its students to 'satisfactory' on standardized tests while my daughter's school always has >> 95% rated as satisfactory.

There are major problems in the public school system that have nothing to do with money. Simply throwing money at the problem is unlikely to have an impact on them. So far, no one has demonstrated that more money = better education.

Man, where to start.

Simple question though, have you ever been a teacher?
  • Reply 145 of 188
    Quote:

9- A 300% or 350% profit margin on iPhone units costing $200 to build and sold for $600 or $700 to cell phone carriers;

Profit is strength, more is better

"$200 to build" is a dubious figure but even if it's true, I suppose engineering, R&D, marketing costs nothing
  • Reply 146 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Man, where to start.

Simple question though, have you ever been a teacher?

Yes. But what does that have to do with anything?

Oh, I get it - you don't have a rational response, so you resort to an ad hominem attack. Got it.

Quote:

A 300% or 350% profit margin on iPhone units costing $200 to build and sold for $600 or $700 to cell phone carriers;

I really hate it when people insist on babbling about things they don't comprehend. EVEN IF your costs were correct, that would be a 65-70% gross margin, not 300-350%. And that is not the PROFIT margin. Profit is what is left after ALL costs have been subtracted (marketing, R&D, admin, etc).

Please stick to thing you comprehend.

Quote:

Apple made a fortune in a monopoly situation. Let's see how well it will do for itself once consumers have a choice of models, makers and carriers.

That is one of the stupidest statements I've ever seen here. Apple has a monopoly? Since when? Apple launched the iPhone a little over 3 years ago. They had ZERO market share before that date. Even today, their market share is less than 20% of all smart phones and about 3% of all phones. What monopoly are you referring to?

Sheesh.
  • Reply 147 of 188
    Quote:

Yes. But what does that have to do with anything?

Oh, I get it - you don't have a rational response, so you resort to an ad hominem attack. Got it.

Not at all. On the other hand, someone who has not spent time teaching might not want to hear a rational response to your comments, especially since you "blame" the teacher's union for propagating what you consider a falsehood

I find it odd that a teacher would say that most of the school's problems are not money related (not to say they all are), given the poor physical condition of a large percentage of schools, old/outdated textbooks, old or lacking technology present in a large percentage of schools, and having teachers buy supplies out of their own pocket. Many teachers could/would do quite a bit more if there were more money.
  • Reply 148 of 188
    Quote:

Seriously, you're comparing the performance of students in private schools to those in public and think that proves some point about the requirements of school funding? How do you think those private schools would do if they had to take in a representative sample of students that matches the demographic profile of public school students? There's no valid comparison between the two.
  • Reply 149 of 188
    Quote:

Seriously, you're comparing the performance of students in private schools to those in public and think that proves some point about the requirements of school funding? How do you think those private schools would do if they had to take in a representative sample of students that matches the demographic profile of public school students? There's no valid comparison between the two.

No there is not a valid comparison. However, if you believe that money is largely irrelevant in education, and it is the "teacher's union" causing problem, your point does not really matter.
  • Reply 150 of 188
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    Have you not learned from every prior debacle? Does Zune ring a bell?

Put that money to good use like making AD Mac friendly. Feeding the poor. Buying a sports franchise. Curing the Microsoft Stupid epidemic...
  • Reply 151 of 188
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

What Microsoft is telling you is that right next to the bottomless pits labeled "XBox" and "Longhorn/Vista", they have a dug a fresh new hole named "Windows Phone 7" and they will (again) be dumping billions upon billions of stockholders' money into it for the next few years.

Although you might yet be right about Windows 7 Mobile (which has an almost impossible job to catch up to the iPhone), XBox is now in profit and is most definitely a Microsoft success. In fact, it could be a good analogy of what Microsoft is trying to do in the mobile space now - come from no where (Windows Mobile 6 is as good as no where) and become a real player in the market.

Vista was also not a waste of money - it was profitable, and Windows 7, which has been very successful, is built on it.

There are plenty of Microsoft failures, but the two you mentioned are not good examples.
  • Reply 152 of 188
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:

The iPhone's main strengths:

3- No wading through confusing options besides storage capacity;

4- No new model or features for one year, so you know exactly when the one you just bought will be obsoleted;

5- No wading through confusing carrier plans in the United States;

6- No crappy FM radio, listen to what you want to, when you want to;

7- No fussing with arcane audio codecs such as .ape, .flac or .wv, it just works;

8- No worries about software that trashes your phone, software and features reviewed by Apple to be included in the App Store;

9- Apple does well financially, so you know they'll be there when you need them for support, and there will always be an improved model in the future, protecting your app investment;

10- No real competition in smartphones, other phones just don't compare to the iPhone.

Apple revolutionized the smartphone. Let's see how it will continue to do so in the future.

Your points are basically all nonsense. Your first points relate to having a very limited choice as a good thing. It is not. No crappy FM radio? I'd rather have one than not. No arcane codecs, it just works? Like hell, nothing except Apple sanctioned formats work. You seem to really like restrictions a lot. And no real competion in the market is not a plus point for the iPhone, it's just the way it is.

The iPhone is currently, without a doubt, the best smartphone on the market. But the reason it is, is because it has a huge software library that is easily accessible. That is something that Microsoft are truly going to stuggle to catch up on.
  • Reply 153 of 188
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Your first points relate to having a very limited choice as a good thing.

Because it is. That's why Mac is so successful or iPhone for that matter.
  • Reply 154 of 188
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Never underestimate your opponent, Microsoft or the power of a good marketing campaign.

The iPhone's main weaknesses:

1 - Apple cannot make enough of them to meet global demand

There. Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 155 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I find it odd that a teacher would say that most of the school's problems are not money related (not to say they all are), given the poor physical condition of a large percentage of schools, old/outdated textbooks, old or lacking technology present in a large percentage of schools, and having teachers buy supplies out of their own pocket. Many teachers could/would do quite a bit more if there were more money.

I didn't say that I'm a teacher. I said that I've taught before.

It doesn't matter. I know enough teachers well (and have family members who are teachers) and they confirm my belief.

Note that I never said that more money wouldn't help. Teachers shouldn't have to buy supplies out of their own pockets. And they could probably do more if there was more money. But that's not the PRIMARY problem.

The biggest problem with education is simply that most kids just don't care. They come from homes where education is not valued, they place no priority on education, and the students have no reason to work hard. Why do you think that there's such a huge disparity between, say, black students and white students' scores in the same district? (or, on the other extreme, why do second generation Asian students typically do better than either group - in spite of language difficulties?) They all get the same amount of money (actually, under some formulas, the minority students get MORE money), yet black students typically (not always, but usually) score far lower than whites and Asians typically score higher. It's because of things that are beyond the school's control.

Or ignore the racial differences. There's an enormous difference in scores between family income groups. Those who have higher family incomes always score far higher (on average) than those with lower family incomes. Studies consistently show that it's largely a matter of parental involvement in education and a commitment to education that accounts for the difference.

On top of that are the government mandates which contribute nothing to education, but detract from the real purpose. Every teacher I know grumbles about all the things they have to do so satisfy the government but which take time from real education.

Or, look at the comparison I made earlier - which you conveniently ignored. My daughter's private school has a >95% passing rate on standardized "No school left behind" tests. Our local public schools run around 60% (some as low as 40%, a few as high as 80%). Yet the private school has less money per student than the public school.

Or, look at it on a macro scale. Countries which spend only a fraction of what we spend on education do better than we do in some cases.

Clearly, money isn't everything. It's just the easiest one for legislators to pretend to do something about. Until the underlying problems are addressed, more money doesn't solve anything. At best, it might help to slow the rotting.
  • Reply 156 of 188
    Quote:

Your points are basically all nonsense. Your first points relate to having a very limited choice as a good thing. It is not. No crappy FM radio? I'd rather have one than not. No arcane codecs, it just works? Like hell, nothing except Apple sanctioned formats work. You seem to really like restrictions a lot. And no real competion in the market is not a plus point for the iPhone, it's just the way it is.

The iPhone is currently, without a doubt, the best smartphone on the market. But the reason it is, is because it has a huge software library that is easily accessible. That is something that Microsoft are truly going to stuggle to catch up on.

Well, I disagree, although, clearly my post was a parody of sort. But, let's have a look at your criticisms.

Choice: What you really mean is choices -- i.e., options. So, this isn't about freedom of choice, it's about a multiplicity of options, not the same thing at all. Besides, research indicates that having a multitude of options is overrated and you haven't given us any reason how more options would improve the iPhone or its user experience. More likely it would just dilute the quality of the device, you know, like with all those Android "feature phones".

FM Radio and Codecs: Yeah, ok, FM radio might be nice, or maybe not. Except for NPR it's mostly crap, but there's an app for that. There are probably a station here or there worth listening to, but it's not really essential, and it's just more stuff to cram inside a phone, stuff that most people won't use most of the time. And, seriously, dude, I hate to tell you this, but no one cares about audio codecs, they just want to listen to their music. If it's that important to you, you should probably just stay home with your vibration isolated, clean power supplied turntable listening to your vintage LPs. It's a portable music player and you the available codecs are just fine for what it is, and there isn't a better solution in this regard on the planet. Sometimes picky is a good thing, and sometimes it's just a distraction.

And, the reason it's the best phone on the market is not because it has the best software library, although it does, it's because it's the best designed and built hardware and OS available.
  • Reply 157 of 188
    Quote:

... Or, look at the comparison I made earlier - which you conveniently ignored. My daughter's private school has a >95% passing rate on standardized "No school left behind" tests. Our local public schools run around 60% (some as low as 40%, a few as high as 80%). Yet the private school has less money per student than the public school. ...

He didn't ignore it, we both commented that it was an entirely invalid comparison.
  • Reply 158 of 188
    Quote:

... If it's that important to you, you should probably just stay home with your vibration isolated, clean power supplied turntable listening to your vintage LPs.

Don't forget the tube amp
  • Reply 159 of 188
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Don't forget the tube amp

LOL. Now where's my old Walkman... Sorry guys, I only go back *that far*

I'd love to get a JP8080 though. Had to sell my Juno60 several years ago *sniff*
  • Reply 160 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    To anonymouse point and the reason the iPhone is the most popular phone on the market is because Apple has crafted something that is simple and straight forward to use. You can look at that as being restricted. But from the standpoint of the average mobile phone user simple is always better than confusing.

Quote: