Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    A quick wikipedia search reveals why iOS/Snow Leopard is required: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

It is indeed an open standard (IETF internet draft), but the only client implementations so far are in QuickTime X and iOS v3 or later. If the tech works well tomorrow, expect more implementations in the future.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    @ Olternaut: The streaming appears as HTTP downloads. You may have lucked out.

...darn, i mean to edit the other post...
  • Reply 23 of 145
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

A quick wikipedia search reveals why iOS/Snow Leopard is required: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

It is indeed an open standard (IETF internet draft), but the only client implementations so far are in QuickTime X and iOS v3 or later. If the tech works well tomorrow, expect more implementations in the future.

Open standard? Well doesn't any of the other browsers have this feature at least in a beta form?
  • Reply 24 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

Yeah, after all... why we hear only about Stevo's wi-fi problem, weren't reporters also affected by the meldown? I followed four sites in parallel and never seen any issue
  • Reply 25 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Open standard? Well doesn't any of the other browsers have this feature at least in a beta form?

Given that browsers are only now getting basic HTML5 video support, probably not.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Get this......

This year at work the IT department is clamping down (as per the friggin management) and decided to firewall all internet streaming.

Now of all times as Apple has miraculously decided to allow a livestream of their event!!!!!

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

well, it's http streaming so you may be able to watch it.
  • Reply 27 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Interesting. I would imagine the first thing people will think is this was brought on by the WiFi fiasco of the last event, but I don’t think so. That affected the recorded presentation. This is another wrench in the works.

What I think is Apple is finally going to try to put this open protocol more on the map by showcasing how well the event can stream from a single source across the globe. Well… I hope, because if they did not stress test their setup it will look bad all around. If it succeeds it could be a the silent market winner of the event.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.

HTTP Live Streaming is an open protocol Apple developed. It’s part of iOS which then became part of the QuickTime X engine. While we could argue that the decision to use this protocol was purposely limiting, the fact that only iOS 3.x+ and Mac OS X 10.6 support it is not artificial.

Quote:

Get this......

This year at work the IT department is clamping down (as per the friggin management) and decided to firewall all internet streaming.

Now of all times as Apple has miraculously decided to allow a livestream of their event!!!!!

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

Not all internet streaming is created the same. It’s possible that your IT team has ignored this protocol as it’s still not widely used.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    The rest of the internet during the keynote: NOW OBSOLETE!
  • Reply 29 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting. I would imagine the first thing people will think is this was brought on by the WiFi fiasco of the last event, but I don’t think so. That affected the recorded presentation. This is another wrench in the works.

What I think is Apple is finally going to try to put this open protocol more on the map by showcasing how well the event can stream from a single source across the globe. Well… I hope, because if they did not stress test their setup it will look bad all around. If it succeeds it could be a the silent market winner of the event.

HTTP Live Streaming is an open protocol Apple developed. It’s part of iOS which then became part of the QuickTime X engine. While we could argue that the decision to use this protocol was purposely limiting, the fact that only iOS 3.x+ and Mac OS X 10.6 support it is not artificial.

Not all internet streaming is created the same. It’s possible that your IT team has ignored this protocol as it’s still not widely used.

Yeah, problem is though I don't think the correct Apple codec is installed. We're running PCs here at any rate....old ones too!

Don't worry....I have a plan! I'm going to clock out (*sigh* yes clock out) for lunch at 1pm eastern and run down to the lobby where there is a staples store with free wifi. I'll hang out there with my iPod touch for an hour.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    Quote:

Yeah, problem is though I don't think the correct Apple codec is installed. We're running PCs here at any rate....old ones too!

Don't worry....I have a plan! I'm going to clock out (*sigh* yes clock out) for lunch at 1pm eastern and run down to the lobby where there is a staples store with free wifi. I'll hang out there with my iPod touch for an hour.

The only PCs that have access to HTTP Live Streaming are those running Mac OS X 10.6 ?Snow Leopard?. There might be some 3rd-party option since it is open, but it?s not part of Safari or QuickTime 7.x.
  • Reply 31 of 145
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Get this......

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

There's an very good chance they won't pick this up. The traffic will be going over HTTP and look like normal web traffic. Just keep quiet about it tomorrow and tune in and try your luck.

Quote:

Because they're lazy.
  • Reply 32 of 145
    Live stream...must be good.

Extra coffee and popcorn; I am sooo staying up for this. Just hope that Steve announces that TV show and movie rentals are coming to Japan.
  • Reply 33 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Because they're lazy.

For those that aren?t lazy and like stress, you can try this out?
  • Reply 34 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

So, Apple Insider and a hundred other blogs will still have it's own live coverage, resulting an another 570 base stations? So, what will be different? BTW, since Apple is going live, why doesn't Apple Insider give Apple a break...offer an intelligent analysis after the event?

I'd expect that Apple would ask them to turn them off as they enter the room or maybe even jam the cells.

The live streaming is the carrot. Expect the stick.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

well, it's http streaming so you may be able to watch it.

Well, probably not with this PC I'm running at work with IE7...yes 7...with no flash installed and no quicktime either.

It's locked down alright.

I'm going to go in the lobby where there is free wifi at the staples store and use my ipod touch. I'll hang out there for an hour.
  • Reply 36 of 145
    Quote:

Well, probably not with this PC I'm running at work with IE7...yes 7...with no flash installed and no quicktime either.

It's locked down alright.

I'm going to go in the lobby where there is free wifi at the staples store and use my ipod touch. I'll hang out there for an hour.

I suggest you test that Akami site I posted in the morning before work to see if it works at all through their routers.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!
  • Reply 38 of 145
    Who wants to take bets that Apple's servers won't be able to handle the load? I predict that people will still stick to jizzmodo, engadget or any other site hosting a live blog once Apple's servers crash.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!

If you are driving, can you stop at 1pm for a long lunch at a place with WiFi. Starbucks typically have great public WiFi speeds.

If you are not driving, will you have your iPhone with you and will there be AT&T data service on that part of the trip? so you can watch it?

Also, even if you are driving but can?t stop, if you have your iPhone with you and some data access on AT&T you could listen to it. But I would assume there are others in the vehicle that may not be so keep to partake.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Yes it is.

No it's not. It's 5pm UK time, and 6pm western continental EU time, except Portugal which has the same time as UK.