Apple now building 2M iPads per month to meet demand

Comments

• Reply 101 of 130
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If you used the word this way in a manuscript or paper, any editor worth their salt would underline it and suggest that you find a word to better convey your meaning. That's all I'm trying to say here.

What you are trying to say is, however, wrong. And you have move onto "best usage", which is nonsense. The word is used in the sense "supposedly". It is a perfect word and implies no wrong doing. What is confusing you is that newspapers dont want to call man a thief until the claim is proven, so they use the terms "alleged thief" as in "was claimed to be". But just because it is used with regards to wrong-doing more often than not, does not mean that the term implies wrongdoing all the time. Allegedly is fine and much better than reportedly, which means just that people are reporting it.

In fact you quoted from one dictionary when the first example was an alleged miracle. A claimed miracle. An unproven miracle.

But miracles are not criminal undertakings.
  • Reply 102 of 130
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

In fact you quoted from one dictionary when the first example was an alleged miracle. A claimed miracle. An unproven miracle.

But miracles are not criminal undertakings.

To be fair, I was the one that quoted that source, and I gave the same argument when I did.

The rest of your opinion is correct, and it seems that there is a consensus here (not including the good Dr) that AI is absolutely justified to use the word "allegedly" in the way that they did.

Thompson
  • Reply 103 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I believe that the Epic Citadel demo was a preview of what a game app will look like on an HDTV when run on the AppleTV.

And I believe you will be very disappointed.

IF Apple plays to put apps on the Apple TV it won't be this model and very possibly not the next one either
  • Reply 104 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Wizard, but all that sounds like you are directly comparing Apple mobile iOS devices to a regular computer (mac or windows)

Not at all. I'm not even sure where that idea came from.

Quote:

And that is wrong cause a regular computer has to load a full operating system and has to perform way more applications at the same time.

And iOS devices don't? IOS is a pretty complete operating system and automatically loads many things into memory on startup.

Quote:

Lots of RAM on computer has been great, no doubt about it, but iOS is not Snow Leopard or Windows and do not run on intel chip.

First; off the chip has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Second; we aren't talking about lots of RAM here. I'd be happy to see 512 MB right now. That would have a major impact on the device.

Quote:

Also the SDK allows developers to really get the most from the optimized hardware designed specifically for it.

An iPad is not a computer so it doesn't have to use the same methods or structure.

Really you need to stop now. IPad is a computer and frankly is structured just the same as the one on your desktop.

Quote:

Flash RAM is way more faster. Even used as storage allow developers to pre load stuff on it and deliver a snappy performance in their apps.

For apps where that is useful great. That doesn't mean all apps can be structured successfully that way.

Quote:

Applications that run on iOS IMHO do not have to ask nothing to regular ones found on snow leopard considering the platform and hardware. Your argument fits better applications running on windows 7 mobile that it does carry x86 atoms that share same architecture as W7.

You can't stop can you? If you were actually familiar with the SDK you would realize that iOS is more like a Mac than you are saying. It is basically a UNIX like machine with no paging of user data memory. The fact that there is no paging of data neans that your RAM limits what can be done on the device.

Quote:

The iPad is a great success cause Apple took the time to study their options and develop the best one that could allow the kind of experience they wanted.

I'd have to say it is all about Touch.

Quote:

I never had a buggy app running on my iPhone, iPod touch or friends iPad.

Then you wouldn't know a bug if you saw it in broad daylight. It is just third party apps either iOS itself has been pretty buggy.

Quote:

Regarding multitasking Apple was always straight forward about it, they where concern about battery live. When they finally got their own processor and the software tuned up for it, then they released it allowing the developer to incorporate it in their app that impact the user experience. All this done with relentless execution, quality and elegance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom

wiki about iOS:

Multitasking

Before iOS 4, multitasking was limited to a selection of the applications Apple included on the devices.[17] Apple worried that running multiple third-party applications simultaneously would drain batteries too quickly. Starting with iOS 4, on 3rd-generation and newer iOS devices, multitasking is supported through seven background APIs:[18]

Frankly I think responding to you is a waste of time. If any thing you have expressed here is true then explain iPhone 4!!!!

Dave
  • Reply 105 of 130
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Maybe Apple can leverage the accelerometer and gyro in their iDevices and/or create a new, simplified "Magic Remote." And apps would need to be re-designed to handle Magic Remote inputs as well as direct multi-touch. For example, in Angry Birds, you tap and hold the Magic Remote screen to grab the slingshot, then physically move the Magic Remote up/down/left/right in the air in 3 dimensions to pull the slingshot pouch back and get fine control of angle and power. Then you'd release your finger to launch the bird.

Another option is to put a user-facing camera on the iTV, such as Microsoft Kinect. "AI" software is smart enough now to recognize a human body in an image and track how you move your arms and legs and use that as a form of input. And since Apple added Faces to iPhoto, maybe they are already have some experience in this area.
  • Reply 106 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not at all. I'm not even sure where that idea came from.

And iOS devices don't? IOS is a pretty complete operating system and automatically loads many things into memory on startup.

First; off the chip has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Second; we aren't talking about lots of RAM here. I'd be happy to see 512 MB right now. That would have a major impact on the device.

Really you need to stop now. IPad is a computer and frankly is structured just the same as the one on your desktop.

For apps where that is useful great. That doesn't mean all apps can be structured successfully that way.

You can't stop can you? If you were actually familiar with the SDK you would realize that iOS is more like a Mac than you are saying. It is basically a UNIX like machine with no paging of user data memory. The fact that there is no paging of data neans that your RAM limits what can be done on the device.

I'd have to say it is all about Touch.

Then you wouldn't know a bug if you saw it in broad daylight. It is just third party apps either iOS itself has been pretty buggy.

Frankly I think responding to you is a waste of time. If any thing you have expressed here is true then explain iPhone 4!!!!

Dave

woah, you really are blind and close minded, if you insist that a kia is the same as a ferrari cause they are cars after all you are the one in problems. Also the way you refer what I am writting, stop this and that???? I don't share your view as many of us here in the forum or real live. Then, you stop been a baby and learn for once that even if you command, yell, insist in your silly point, most of the people and in this case myself wont change my understanding and point of view of a device cause you say so.

You say it was a waste of time to reply to me and I agree, you typed none sense. Please learn a bit more and don't get mad cause someone thinks different than you.

• Reply 107 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now give people the ability to setup and use an iPad without owning a computer, just like Apple TV.

Than I can recommend it to my Aunt.

Easy. Ask the Apple Store to activate it for you.
  • Reply 108 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Easy. Ask the Apple Store to activate it for you.

You aren't serious. Are you?
  • Reply 109 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And I believe you will be very disappointed.

IF Apple plays to put apps on the Apple TV it won't be this model and very possibly not the next one either

Care to expand on that?

Do you think the new AppleTV hardware isn't robust enough?

Do you think that the apps must be stored on the AppleTV (require an HDD or SDD)?

Do you think it is a remote controller issue-- multitouch inadequate, need for tactile feedback?

• Reply 110 of 130
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think they soon will-- but in a different way than expected.

If they were to add a camera to the device it would be cumbersome to position/hold. Further, it would be limited-- low resolution, no optical zoom, etc.

Think about it! if you are out and about, you likely are carrying a smart phone (hopefully an iPhone) in addition to your iPad.

What Apple needs to do is allow real-time input from a camera or iPhone connected via the CCK) (Camera Connection Kit).

Then, you would be able to do FaceTime on the big iPad screen while holding (or positioning) the smaller camera or smart phone.

IMO, that is preferable to adding a limited camera to the iPad!

Exactly, I'm hoping for this too with version 1 of the iPad.

Does anyone know if live video is or is not theoretically possible via the CCK?

Counting iPod touches and iPhones, we will need how many other devices to fulfill Steve's goal of 'tens of millions' of FaceTime platforms this year?
  • Reply 111 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

That's the theory at least, but wait for the posts below where people continue to complain about the device, tell us why we shouldn't like it, shouldn't buy it, list what it can't do and why we're being forced to buy it in the millions.

If large sales are any indication, Windows is wonderful. But I'm not sure that sales figures tell us the whole story. About anything.
  • Reply 112 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wondered this but has the iPhone been kept out of enterprise due to the camera? Of course Apple could offer a with and without version of the iPad.

Naw. That's not the reason why the iPhone has been so slow to penetrate that market.
  • Reply 113 of 130
    Quote:

I think you might be disappointed if you buy the device as a family computer - no multiple user accounts would leave no email privacy,

I hate it when people complain about what the iPad WON'T do.
  • Reply 114 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'd love to see some analysis of which demographics are fuelling this demand. Young? Old? Consumer? Enterprise? American? Global?

Quote:

incontrovertible proof that Apple got this right, that the average consumer wants it

I like the contrast here. One poster asks for analysis, the other crows about incontrovertible proof and "average consumers".

I prefer the style of the first. Can anybody answer his question? The second seems to be a statement intended to stop thinking, rather than start it.
  • Reply 115 of 130
    Quote:

if a camera was introduced across the board, these will have to disappear from my studio

Wow.

Do you ban iPhones? All cellphones? All laptops?

Just about all of them have a camera.
  • Reply 116 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

And what's with the white iPhone 4?

The last news was that Apple announced it before they figured out how to make it.

There has been no update that I am aware of; either the color will be wrong or the fit will be wrong. Or a new miracle paint will be invented.

My guess is that the vast majority of folks just gave up and either bought a black one or bought a different phone.
  • Reply 117 of 130
    Quote:

Editorial alert: The term "allegedly" is wildly overused in AI articles, and unless you mean to imply that something illegal or immoral may have occurred, it's the wrong word. Or did the writer really mean to imply that Apple is being accused of wrongdoing for asking their suppliers to increase production?

Crack a dictionary, old boy.
  • Reply 118 of 130
    Quote:

It's not technically correct. The word means to accuse of wrongdoing. You can check a dictionary if you don't believe me.

I checked 8 or 10. None of them said that is the meaning of the word. Not even as an archaic use.

Which dictionary can you cite that defines "allege" as "to accuse of wrongdoing"?

Damn.
  • Reply 119 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

How is it possible that you didn't check a dictionary before telling me to go do so?

Thompson

This is far from the first time he has insisted upon a misdefinition.

Search for posts from him that contain the word "censor".
  • Reply 120 of 130
    Quote:

I guess you didn't believe me when I said I am done debating this. It's true, and I am.

I did not believe you the first time you said it. I don't believe you this time either.