Apple forecast to sell 28M iPads in 2011, chipping away at PC sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

$500 is expensive? At worst that's $100 more than a good net book though it's hard to compare devices that are not the same form factor. I suspect this is what's behind the 7" iPad rumors -- a $399 entry level price point.

$846 with tax, PLUS the 3G data plan.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They expect to need a second computer cause you need that for all such 'toys' so they get/have a 'real computer' and the ipad is a compliment to it. Rather than trying to be THE computer like netbooks often do.

but you DO need a second computer if you own an iPad... ever try to use one out of the box?

nope, please connect to itunes on your computer to activate.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

I guess that makes anything taxable with 3G and data plan expensive.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

but you DO need a second computer if you own an iPad... ever try to use one out of the box?

'a' computer, actually.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No matter what the tech fanboys think 99% of PC/Mac users use the device for email, tweeting, uploading photos, ordering stuff from Amazon, browsing the internet, watching/listening to content, uses for which the PC/Mac is dramatic overkill. The iPhone/iPad provides these services on the go, easily transportable, efficiently, and cost effectively. Most people don't use Adobe Photoshop to edit their photos, need only a very basic word processor to write that school report or term paper, and couldn't care less about the other stuff only a desktop computer or laptop can do. For most a traditional computing device is now overkill and not necessary for fulfilling their needs. The need for these devices to connect to a traditional computer will go away sooner rather than later, no matter Apple's plans are.

Only tech types refuse to see this coming. That's the problem with sites like this. We represent a minuscule minority who tries to apply our view of the tech world to the mass market. So yes, it is entirely possible that mobile os devices will have a major impact on the sale of traditional computing systems, including PCs, Macs, Laptops, and Netbooks.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The BS at this site is so effing thick.

First off DRAM prices going down is NOTHING new. This cycle goes up and down all the time, and if you watch it you can get good pricing. Next earthquake in Japan or where ever will make prices jack up real quick, much like gas prices going up overnight when there is an oil spill. It has been doing this cycle for 10+ years, long before the iPad was even dreamed of by Jobs.

There is NO way I can believe that the iPad will impact overall PC sales. Yes there will some people that want both, a new PC and a iPad and because of lack of funds decide to get the iPad now, and then next year or whatever get a new PC. Are you going to report a year later that PC sales will go up because everyone that has an iPad now needs to upgrade their PC because they NEED both since the iPad cant replace a PC for most people? Somehow I doubt that would make a good link bait headline here iOSinsider.com

If anything I think the iPad will impact Mac sales. In fact instead of quoting some anal-ist, I will link you to some DATA that shows OS X trending down, iOS trending up.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar...e.aspx?qprid=9

You sound like a former Mainframe fan.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:

I have no need for the 3G Model. That saves me a lot of money.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    The unknown factor is the impact of these iPad-like tablets that vendors are scrambling to launch. The early Android tablets were crap but proper competition is coming. I doubt Android tablets will outsell the iPad during 2011 but I could see them getting a decent chunk of the market.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The BS at this site is so effing thick.

First off DRAM prices going down is NOTHING new. This cycle goes up and down all the time, and if you watch it you can get good pricing. Next earthquake in Japan or where ever will make prices jack up real quick, much like gas prices going up overnight when there is an oil spill. It has been doing this cycle for 10+ years, long before the iPad was even dreamed of by Jobs.

There is NO way I can believe that the iPad will impact overall PC sales. Yes there will some people that want both, a new PC and a iPad and because of lack of funds decide to get the iPad now, and then next year or whatever get a new PC. Are you going to report a year later that PC sales will go up because everyone that has an iPad now needs to upgrade their PC because they NEED both since the iPad cant replace a PC for most people? Somehow I doubt that would make a good link bait headline here iOSinsider.com

If anything I think the iPad will impact Mac sales. In fact instead of quoting some anal-ist, I will link you to some DATA that shows OS X trending down, iOS trending up.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar...e.aspx?qprid=9

the site is reporting on quotes from teh companies involved. Memory chip makers point to the iPad as the reason there is an oversupply of ram driving the cost down. Netbook makers point to the iPad as the reason why their sales are down.

How is it "BS" to report on their statements. They clearly aren't inventing reasons to make their own company look bad.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:

I suspect that the requirement for a computer connection will change.

However, you will need an Internet connection, likely WiFi speeds-- to setup/install, surf, purchase content/apps, backup and sync.

To start out, Apple made the decision that a computer owner would, likely, already have the Internet connection in place.

IMO, this was a good decision.

Otherwise, at time of sale, Apple (or the reseller) would have to present the whole distracting mess of Internet, ISPs, Carriers, Cloud Services...

This, to sell a $500 device? Where's the profit in that? Would you buy a $500 device if you had to learn about, then pay for an Internet connection?

... Yes sir! This new TV only costs $500. But first you need to install Electrical Service to your home, then a CableTV service...

Electrical Service? Why that's someone who supplies electrical current...

Electrical Current? Why, thats the thing that...

CableTV Service? Why, that's the...

• Reply 51 of 90
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The international launch is still not finish and I think Apple can sell about 2 millions per month easy if production can keep up. There goal is to set production at 3 millions per month. So 28 millions for the year seems fair.

2011 will see competition from Android and Win7 tablets, but from I have seen so far, they dont have much success yet since the price is not right. To counter this, Apple will probably release a "facetime" ready new Ipad in 2011 so I predict it will stay ahead of the pack.

I also really love the new AirPlay integration with AppleTV which will allow streaming even from friends idevices, which will be able to play whats on there device on your TV / soundsystem.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You sound like a former Mainframe fan.

Hey! I am a Mainframe IT and even I know 70%+ of the population dont need a PC at all and could do everything they need on an Ipad (if it could do wireless printing).

In fact, very few people need to have "some work done" on a PC. Most of the people work in fields that dont required home PC work at all so all they do with there home PC's is consume content.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No matter what the tech fanboys think 99% of PC/Mac users use the device for email, tweeting, uploading photos, ordering stuff from Amazon, browsing the internet, watching/listening to content, uses for which the PC/Mac is dramatic overkill. The iPhone/iPad provides these services on the go, easily transportable, efficiently, and cost effectively. Most people don't use Adobe Photoshop to edit their photos, need only a very basic word processor to write that school report or term paper, and couldn't care less about the other stuff only a desktop computer or laptop can do. For most a traditional computing device is now overkill and not necessary for fulfilling their needs. The need for these devices to connect to a traditional computer will go away sooner rather than later, no matter Apple's plans are.

Only tech types refuse to see this coming. That's the problem with sites like this. We represent a minuscule minority who tries to apply our view of the tech world to the mass market. So yes, it is entirely possible that mobile os devices will have a major impact on the sale of traditional computing systems, including PCs, Macs, Laptops, and Netbooks.

Nice post!

Your statement:

"The need for these devices to connect to a traditional computer will go away sooner rather than later, no matter Apple's plans are."

Is right on!

In Apple's case, I think that is [part of] what the new datacenter and MobileMe are for:

-- the iPad and its ilk, will come with a 1-year complimentary MobileMe subscription

-- the iPad will be setup/activated via an initial connection to MobileMe rather than iTunes

-- this can be accomplished by:

----- the Apple Retail Store

----- the Reseller Retail Store

----- the user with access to the internet (friend, relative, neighbor, home, work, WiFi Hot Spot, tethered cell phone)

----- preinstalled by the online seller or reseller

----- preinstalled by IT for the enterprise (augmenting/substituting the enterprise's Cloud for MobileME)

It's similar to buying a Mac with FC Studio, etc. pre-installed -- it works right out of the box, plug and play (maybe, with a few automatic software updates).

So, Granny wants an iPad and has no computers, no Internet, nada!

You gift her one with WiFi only, and pre-activated/setup with MobileMe.

When she needs an Internet connection she must go to where one exists-- the book store, coffee shop, church, library, friend, relative, neighbor, etc.

Or, on your weekly visit, you can bring the Internet to her via your iPhone... or maybe she gets an iPhone of her own!

Granny, is confused (not interested, really) with all this high-tech talk.

She does, however, know how to use a TV, a typewriter, her fingers, a phone...

She wants to be connected with friends and family, and will do what's necessary...

She survived the Great Depression, World War II... she can damn well, use an iPad...

... you know Granny... she gets her mind set on something...

• Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Only tech types refuse to see this coming. That's the problem with sites like this. We represent a minuscule minority

Thank the Jeebus that we have you here to show us the error. Out of the minuscule minority, it would seem that people with your uncommon insight are unique.

What will we do if you ever leave? We will ALL refuse to see what is coming!
  • Reply 55 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"consumers who purchase iPads may be more willing to delay purchases and upgrades of existing PCs."

Equally likely, they may see more value in a laptop upgrade or switching to a laptop from a desktop than buying an iPad, which would cost more than an upgrade while offering less.

In the end, people who have a suitable PC might buy an iPad but that doesn't impact sales directly, it just means the PC market has hit saturation point like the TV market.

People who don't have a PC can't get an iPad because the iPad requires you to own one.

Taking that into account, it doesn't seem like the iPad will have a direct impact on PC ownership. When it operates on its own, the netbook market will take a hit and possibly laptop sales.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The unknown factor is the impact of these iPad-like tablets that vendors are scrambling to launch. The early Android tablets were crap but proper competition is coming. I doubt Android tablets will outsell the iPad during 2011 but I could see them getting a decent chunk of the market.

That may be... I posted this on another thread:

The thing I am not sure of is: whether Android is robust enough to support the larger screen real estate.

Consider, that Apple found it necessary to fork iOS development to make a special version (3.2) for the iPad. It did this to change iOS to accommodate/exploit the iPad hardware -- especially the additional screen real estate. Among other things Apple added new Frameworks and APIs for the iPad.

Some iPhone apps scale well, and can run as-is at 2x size on the iPad. Most however need to be rethought, redesigned and rewritten to capture and purvey the "magic".

For example, Apple introduced an new Framework and API for the Mail app on the iPad. It is totally different than the Mail app on the iPhone, Mac or MobileMe. There are many other similar changes/refinements to iOS for the iPad.

Basically, it will have taken Apple 11 months to incorporate the iPad into the iOS 4.2 version that will run on all iDevices.

I don't know if Google, is planning to (or is working on) enhancements to support Android Tablets.

I used the Mail program as an example, because I recently read where one of the announced Android Tablet manufacturers, was implementing its own API for Mail (similar to the iPad).

As an iOS developer, it is a PITA, to work with one version of iOS for the iPad and another for the other iDevices.

But, I can see why it is necessary! if Apple had used the same iOS, there would be no "magic" in the iPad -- it would just be a "big iPod Touch!"

• Reply 57 of 90
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

... Um also reiterated rumors that Apple will launch a new CDMA-compatible iPhone 4 in January of 2011. ...

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of Apple buying up CDMA chips are for a Verizon-connected iPad next year. The timing is right for a CDMA iPad announcement, since Q1 seems to be Apple's "iPad quarter." And Verizon's CEO will be delivering a keynote speech at CES in January. Can't be a coincidence.

And a January Verizon iPad announcement would be hugely successful for Apple in more ways than one. First and most obvious, releasing a Verizon-connected iPad would be a guaranteed hit all by itself. iPad is hot right now, and there are probably millions of Verizon customers who, for whatever reason, won't pay AT&T for the privilege of using their iPads with 3G connectivity.

Another second reason for releasing a Verizon iPad early next year is to build hype for a Verizon iPhone next summer. I don't think Apple would want to complicate things by releasing a Verizon iPhone in January and the AT&T iPhone 5 in June. Would the Verizon iPhone be an iPhone 4? An iPhone 5 before the AT&T version is released? An interim iPhone 4.5? I think it's better to announce iPhone 5 in both AT&T and Verizon flavors at the traditional time of year: Summer.

Also, Apple probably wouldn't want to overshadow the new iPad announcement with a new iPhone in Q1. Q1 is Apple's time to showcase each year's iPad and keep it in the spotlight for months. Apple kept iPad on their home page through Q2 this year as well. Right up to the iPhone 4 launch. Apple keeps their major product releases separate so each can get the full attention of the media.

On the other hand, the #2 cell network in China uses a variant of CDMA. It's possible that Apple could release a CDMA version of the current iPhone 4 on China Telecom in January. And Apple's release schedule in China seems to be dictated (pun intended) by government regulations and carrier passive-aggressiveness. That, too, would probably start the hype rolling for a Verizon iPhone 5 in Summer. Oh well, we'll know in a few months...
  • Reply 58 of 90
    That is a lot of freaking iPads......

However, I think that estimate might be a little low... I think the iPad is going to find more of a home in corporate America, Hospitals, and government that the mac ever has. Since is has very little security risk, I think more IT departments are going to accept it...

If someone ever developed an app for hospitals so that the patients records, x-rays, etc.. can be sent via Wifi to an iPad, I think this alone would make the 28 million mark. I can also see this thing in warehouses doing shipping/receiving and inventory control. Add a camera to the thing so that it can scan bar codes and you have one hell of a warehouse control device....

Come to think of it. It might be time for me to start developing software again.....
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

That is a lot of freaking iPads......

However, I think that estimate might be a little low... I think the iPad is going to find more of a home in corporate America, Hospitals, and government that the mac ever has. Since is has very little security risk, I think more IT departments are going to accept it...

If someone ever developed an app for hospitals so that the patients records, x-rays, etc.. can be sent via Wifi to an iPad, I think this alone would make the 28 million mark. I can also see this thing in warehouses doing shipping/receiving and inventory control. Add a camera to the thing so that it can scan bar codes and you have one hell of a warehouse control device....

Come to think of it. It might be time for me to start developing software again.....

Come on in... the water's fine... the sooner the better!

Much of what you are asking for already exists on the iPad -- in one form or the other:

-- you can transfer files via WiFi (images, text, PDF, etc.)

-- you can attach (USB, BT, WiFi) various barcode scanners- still a little kludgey, but faster/better than a camera

-- there databases like FileMaker that have iPad companion Apps

-- you can stream audio and video

-- shipping/receiving/inventory control are being implemented by various companies

-- through VNC you can connect to and manipulate any computer (Mac or PC)

-- many uses for military and military training across the world

Companies like SAP have already deployed 1,000 iPads to employees and plan up to 17,000 in the next 12 months:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/sybase/sap...e_skin;content

The IPad is a no-brainer for enterprise:

-- costs are well within a department's discretionary budget

-- enough apps & tools available to be immediately productive

-- virtually no lead time

-- virtually no training costs

-- no crapware and viruses to soak up resources

-- can interface legacy enterprise systems runny on virtually anything

-- with programming or an app can do some things better than any other alternative

/rant

/froth at mouth

• Reply 60 of 90
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I don't think Apple would want to complicate things by releasing a Verizon iPhone in January and the AT&T iPhone 5 in June. Would the Verizon iPhone be an iPhone 4? An iPhone 5 before the AT&T version is released? An interim iPhone 4.5? I think it's better to announce iPhone 5 in both AT&T and Verizon flavors at the traditional time of year: Summer.

On the other hand, releasing a new version at six month intervals would distribute the manufacturing load better (as opposed to one gigantic release a year). Also it would allow

Apple to keep up with the much more frequent Android releases. It could be like graphics chip companies (back when there were several) who had two design teams which were assigned to leap-frog each other at regular intervals.