Apple forecast to sell 28M iPads in 2011, chipping away at PC sales

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Equally likely, they may see more value in a laptop upgrade or switching to a laptop from a desktop than buying an iPad, which would cost more than an upgrade while offering less.

In the end, people who have a suitable PC might buy an iPad but that doesn't impact sales directly, it just means the PC market has hit saturation point like the TV market.

People who don't have a PC can't get an iPad because the iPad requires you to own one.

Taking that into account, it doesn't seem like the iPad will have a direct impact on PC ownership. When it operates on its own, the netbook market will take a hit and possibly laptop sales.

I think the iPad in particular, and tablets in general, are going to have a huge impact on computer sales. Laptops have been all the rage for several years now, but tablets will change everything. The vast majority of notebook owners will be much better off (more productive, easier mobility), as it comes time to replace hardware, with a desktop and tablet, rather than a laptop. Netbooks will become a tiny niche market.

This is after all the Star Trek model of computing, which everyone is working to achieve, consciously or not: workstations (with vertical screens and horizontal touch panels for input) for serious work, tablets for more casual tasks and reading, and tricorders for away missions: iMac + iPad + iPhone.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Come on in... the water's fine... the sooner the better!

Much of what you are asking for already exists on the iPad -- in one form or the other:

-- you can transfer files via WiFi (images, text, PDF, etc.)

-- you can attach (USB, BT, WiFi) various barcode scanners- still a little kludgey, but faster/better than a camera

-- there databases like FileMaker that have iPad companion Apps

-- you can stream audio and video

-- shipping/receiving/inventory control are being implemented by various companies

-- through VNC you can connect to and manipulate any computer (Mac or PC)

-- many uses for military and military training across the world

Companies like SAP have already deployed 1,000 iPads to employees and plan up to 17,000 in the next 12 months:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/sybase/sap...e_skin;content

The IPad is a no-brainer for enterprise:

-- costs are well within a department's discretionary budget

-- enough apps & tools available to be immediately production

-- virtually no lead time

-- virtually no training costs

-- can interface legacy enterprise systems runny on virtually anything

-- with programming or an app can do some things better than any other alternative

/rant

/froth at mouth

I agree...

The key is a good server app combined with a good iPad app...

I have talked to ACP about making a ThinClient for the iPad.....
  • Reply 63 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The BS at this site is so effing thick.

First off DRAM prices going down is NOTHING new. This cycle goes up and down all the time, and if you watch it you can get good pricing. Next earthquake in Japan or where ever will make prices jack up real quick, much like gas prices going up overnight when there is an oil spill. It has been doing this cycle for 10+ years, long before the iPad was even dreamed of by Jobs.

There is NO way I can believe that the iPad will impact overall PC sales. Yes there will some people that want both, a new PC and a iPad and because of lack of funds decide to get the iPad now, and then next year or whatever get a new PC. Are you going to report a year later that PC sales will go up because everyone that has an iPad now needs to upgrade their PC because they NEED both since the iPad cant replace a PC for most people? Somehow I doubt that would make a good link bait headline here iOSinsider.com

If anything I think the iPad will impact Mac sales. In fact instead of quoting some anal-ist, I will link you to some DATA that shows OS X trending down, iOS trending up.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-mar...e.aspx?qprid=9

They are not suggesting that it is replacing PC's. It is the lowest-end netbooks that are getting replaced by the iPad. These are PC's that people are not using for more then they would otherwise do on an iPad. If anything they will do more on an iPad because of its unique features. I doubt the iPad will ever compete with PCs or Macs at large. This is important though because that has been the fastest growing segment of the PC industry. Without Netbooks, the PC (non-Mac) industry may have no market growth.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think the iPad in particular, and tablets in general, are going to have a huge impact on computer sales. Laptops have been all the rage for several years now, but tablets will change everything. The vast majority of notebook owners will be much better off (more productive, easier mobility), as it comes time to replace hardware, with a desktop and tablet, rather than a laptop. Netbooks will become a tiny niche market.

This is after all the Star Trek model of computing, which everyone is working to achieve, consciously or not: workstations (with vertical screens and horizontal touch panels for input) for serious work, tablets for more casual tasks and reading, and tricorders for away missions: iMac + iPad + iPhone.

Yeah, Star Trek parallels are interesting. The Star Trek tablet is called PADD (Personal Access Display Device). Sound familiar? I am waiting for a competitor to license that name from Paramount Pictures. Although Apple may sue based on the name similarity to iPad. Nothing appears to be multi-vendor in Star Trek either. Will Apple get in the stun gun market next?
  • Reply 65 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    28 million is only slightly higher than theyare currently able to ship. So once demand is meant they will likely be shipping 3 million a month. That to meet roll out demand.

Unfillfulled Christmas demand is likely to drive sales into 2011. Plus at some point iPad rev 2 will hit the shelves.

Rev 2 is interesting because they could simply implement iPhone 4s new features and get a boost in interest. If tgey go a step further and implement a dual core Cortex 9 based SoC you will likely see a massive increase in demand. Either way I could see them shipping 4 million a month easy world wide.

Dave
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

What's really gonna kill the P.C. Is not really the iPad per say. It will be all the other Pad or Slates or Netbook makers, that will find it necesarry to put everything but the kitchen sink in their versions.

They are not as smart as old Stevie. He understood that you could

not put everything in the iPad, so not to hurt his Mac's.

All the other 'bozo's are just reacting. "Oh we have to include

Flash, because Apple was'nt smart enough." "We are gonna make

our's print right out of the box." "We have to include a camera, so

everyone can Chat or Skype."

Idiots. Why would anybody buy your $800.00 computer? You are

letting people do everything anyways for $500.00 or less.

Apple has said many times that they don't care if one of their products hurts the sale of another product. That is just how it happens to be right now. Who knows where this market will go in the long run. If you listen to what Steve Jobs said at his last keynote, Macs will eventually be replaced by iPads (or similar devices in slightly different form factors).
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Isn't the Mac a Personal Computer?
  • Reply 68 of 90
    For those folks who think an iPad costs too much money, check out Malibu Grand Prix Redwood City, CA.

An iPad for twelve tokens... I haven't hit it myself yet, but I do have an Asus Eee PC 900 HD and a Nintendo DS Lite for my younger daughter out of their machines.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

For those folks who think an iPad costs too much money, check out Malibu Grand Prix Redwood City, CA.

An iPad for twelve tokens... I haven't hit it myself yet, but I do have an Asus Eee PC 900 HD and a Nintendo DS Lite for my younger daughter out of their machines.

No offence, but once you use an iPad you may not want to touch an Eee PC ever, ever again.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:

Apple's case, I think that is [part of] what the new datacenter and MobileMe are for:

-- the iPad and its ilk, will come with a 1-year complimentary MobileMe subscription

-- the iPad will be setup/activated via an initial connection to MobileMe rather than iTunes

-- this can be accomplished by:

----- the Apple Retail Store

----- the Reseller Retail Store

----- the user with access to the internet (friend, relative, neighbor, home, work, WiFi Hot Spot, tethered cell phone)

----- preinstalled by the online seller or reseller

----- preinstalled by IT for the enterprise (augmenting/substituting the enterprise's Cloud for MobileME)

It's similar to buying a Mac with FC Studio, etc. pre-installed -- it works right out of the box, plug and play (maybe, with a few automatic software updates).

So, Granny wants an iPad and has no computers, no Internet, nada!

You gift her one with WiFi only, and pre-activated/setup with MobileMe.

When she needs an Internet connection she must go to where one exists-- the book store, coffee shop, church, library, friend, relative, neighbor, etc.

Or, on your weekly visit, you can bring the Internet to her via your iPhone... or maybe she gets an iPhone of her own!

Granny, is confused (not interested, really) with all this high-tech talk.

She does, however, know how to use a TV, a typewriter, her fingers, a phone...

She wants to be connected with friends and family, and will do what's necessary...

She survived the Great Depression, World War II... she can damn well, use an iPad...

... you know Granny... she gets her mind set on something...

I think this could really be the direction for iOS by the end of 2011. Only issue is sorting out the data backup eg magazines you have downloaded in app. Apple needs to decide... You can imagine all the complainers about "oh I don't want to sync with a damn computer" then complaining "stupid Apple I can't backup my iPad to a computer now I lost all my data..."
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Just look at all those iPads being handed out ...

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_16025385
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlcmh View Post

Just look at all those iPads being handed out ...

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_16025385

Wow. Me being old-school I'm sitting here wondering how you learn algebra without a good several sheets of blank paper to practise on and a thick chunky textbook.

The iPad future is here.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Wow. Me being old-school I'm sitting here wondering how you learn algebra without a good several sheets of blank paper to practise on and a thick chunky textbook.

The iPad future is here.

Imagine a classroom of 30 kids;

-- the teacher teacher presses a button her iPad

-- a randomly-generated * test appears on each student's screen

-- copying, cheat sheets, crib notes etc. are of no use

-- the teacher notes that an individual student is struggling

-- pressing that student's Avatar, his screen appears on hers

-- difficulties can be recorded, and/or hints/guidance can be given...

-- later, course material can be refined...

-- the teacher presses a button

-- the test is over and all tests are "handed-in" to the teachers iPad

-- simultaneously, the tests are graded, annotated, remedial material noted

-- the graded tests are returned to the students for reinforcement

* randomly-generated questions, with random parameters, presented in random order

School becomes a place to "learn by learning" rather than a contest to see who can wield the heaviest backpack!

• Reply 74 of 90
    But when I was learning algebra, for example, you had to physically show your working. Eg 2x = 34 therefore x = 17. But as you mention, the digital age is redefining learning in so many ways. Imagine if we could learn things better, faster than before without having to touch pen to paper. Drag and drop algebra. 3D virtual cell dissections and labelling. Touch is the new pen. Next up, true holographic virtual reality. Concepts rather than rote learning. New frontiers, indeed. Or, the population as a whole gets even dumber and we have less and less smart mathematicians and engineers.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:

Imagine a classroom of 30 kids;

-- the teacher teacher presses a button her iPad

-- a randomly-generated * test appears on each student's screen

-- copying, cheat sheets, crib notes etc. are of no use

-- the teacher notes that an individual student is struggling

-- pressing that student's Avatar, his screen appears on hers

-- difficulties can be recorded, and/or hints/guidance can be given...

-- later, course material can be refined...

-- the teacher presses a button

-- the test is over and all tests are "handed-in" to the teachers iPad

-- simultaneously, the tests are graded, annotated, remedial material noted

-- the graded tests are returned to the students for reinforcement

* randomly-generated questions, with random parameters, presented in random order

School becomes a place to "learn by learning" rather than a contest to see who can wield the heaviest backpack!

What you are describing, whilst cool, is really the benefit of introducing computers to the classroom rather than specifically the iPad. I love my iPad and often type quick emails and other messages on it, but if I was typing something longer liked an essay for school I'd prefer a proper keyboard. Schools are probably better off providing laptops instead of iPads.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

What you are describing, whilst cool, is really the benefit of introducing computers to the classroom rather than specifically the iPad. I love my iPad and often type quick emails and other messages on it, but if I was typing something longer liked an essay for school I'd prefer a proper keyboard. Schools are probably better off providing laptops instead of iPads.

Yes! A lot of what you say is true! Especially introduction of computers in the classroom:

The first computer/lab classroom was installed in June of 1980 at Saratoga High School Saratoga, CA. It included 7 Apple ][ computers sharing a 5 Megabyte Hard Disk. AIR, the installation cost $25,000.

Among other things, the instructor was able to monitor a student's computer activity and guide/assist him.

In the late 1980's, a similar capability was used at the US Army Command and Control College in Fort Leavenworth, KS. This installation was 100 color, large-screen computers on 10 LANS, each LAN with a 40 Megabyte shared Hard Disk. It cost $1 million.

These were highly specialized installations, used for very specialized instruction.

AFAICT, while many of today's classrooms may have several computers in each classroom, they are used infrequently. The bulk are still in specialized "computer labs" and limited to certain subjects and certain instructors.

My granddaughter just entered HS, and was debating a laptop or an iPad for school use (both are available at home). At orientation. her Mother asked which was recommended... The answer: "neither-- no electronic devices allowed in the classroom."

What I was trying to describe was a goal or an ideal -- a portion of a typical school day where a non-threatening technology is powerful, ubiquitous and familiar-- and is used comfortably/naturally by all teachers and students. It wound require little or no training and be as natural as a pencil and paper. It could be used for testing, studying, homework assignment, preparation and submission.

I don't believe classroom computers have met the above ideals.

I don't believe that giving a laptop to every teacher and every student will meet those ideals.

I agree that I would want to prepare an essay using a proper keyboard (and maybe a proper computer).

There still will be a need for classroom computers and specialized computer labs.

That doesn't detract from the other things an iPad (or any similar tablet with hidden complexity) can do better. The student and teacher can load up the device with the work and study material. The student takes it anywhere-- everywhere. If he needs a drawing/writing tablet, he always has on with him-- with an infinite supply of paper, pens, paints, etc. More exacting dewing needs (drafting, etc.) can be done with an inexpensive stylus.

They aren't just replacing textbooks, rather books, reference libraries, A/V materials, and the information on the web.

IF HMH is successful in these trials-- they will change Education!

A high school student will have 1 book-like device -- no workbooks, homework handouts, tests, class pictures, yearbooks, etc.

If he breaks or loses it-- he gets another.

If a Law or Medical student needs 3 "books" open at once -- he borrows additional devices from a pool.

Gone will be warehouses of textbooks and supplies and the infrastructure and costs to staff and maintain them.

Home for the holidays, and you need a text (you forgot to checkout from the library)-- tap the BookStore icon and grab it instantly.

You can argue that you could do all these things with a laptop! Yes, you could, but, you wouldn't... And, you haven't!

As I mentioned at the start of this rant, much this has been possible since the 1980s-- but it isn't happening today!

Why?

I think that to happen it needs to be practical and ubiquitous.

At $500, the iPad can satisfy both criteria...

We'll see!

• Reply 77 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    just when you ask..........

Algbera 1 on iPad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The iPad future is here.

• Reply 78 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You have to mind the generation gap. Todays school kids are not going to be as attached to hard keyboards as older people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

• Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You have to mind the generation gap. Todays school kids are not going to be as attached to hard keyboards as older people.

Yeah, who'll be the first to thumb-type his doctoral thesis on a cell phone-- 10,000 twitters.

• Reply 80 of 90
    I typed a quick 3 page document on the iPad and I found the keyboard quite usable.... In face it was better than many laptops I have used over the years...

I do think it works better with a case that can tilt it at angle....