iPhone 4 antenna issue 'topical,' but users more interested in Verizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    I don't blame people for being skeptical after the whole "antennagate" debacle--the news media made it into a complete spectacle. I thought in the back of my mind, "Somehow...some way....they're going to blame Obama for this."

The biggest tragedy of the whole thing was people were spoonfed what to think by the media, didn't question anything, and bought into it hook, line, and sinker. Sounds a lot like the Iraq War if you ask me. I loved the whole "We tested other peoples' phones....here they are." video series....classic.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    I got my iphone 4 about three weeks ago at an AT&T store. The sales staff were suggesting other smartphones to customers. When I went in the store I simply said that I wanted to buy an iPhone 4 and no one suggested anything else to me. While I was in the store twice, once to order and then to pick up and activate 4 days later, I paid attention to what others were walking out of the store with. The majority were buying iPhones.

My decision was made after hearing and reading all the antenna stuff. Since getting my phone I have not noticed any problems. My wife has a 3GS and I haven't seen any difference in what either of us can do. Just got my free case from Apple (made by Belkin) today and I will use it for protection not reception.

I live in rural Maine and at home must use a microcell as there is no cell signal from any carrier.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Even if Verizon was a partner, if you can't put them in the customer's hands, what does it matter?

McDonalds could be promising them with happy meal, and it still does not matter.

Apple is losing sales right now because people (at least here in Canada) cannot get an iPhone 4 due to NO stock.

Apple is over extending itself.

Over extended? Not really. The production capacity may be running at full rate currently, but it's easy enough to add capacity if required. Plus, the rumor CDMA version of iPhone will be produced by a different OEM, so the current capacity bottleneck doesn't apply to the CDMA phone.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.

Everybody and his mom wants an iPhone on Verizon. If they don't make the move soon, they have nobody to blame but themselves for literally millions of lost sales as well as the ultimate success of Android. How can Apple continue to be successful if they refuse to produce the products their customers clearly want?
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So did Vista. So does Windows 7. Do people really love it? Do people really like ATT? Or do they just use it because they have no choice? The fact that Apple exists at all proves there is a market for choice. Be it in OS or carriers.

Put the blasted phone on Verizon already. What do you have to loose Apple? Come on! You gave us buttons on a shuffle! You gave us a camera on an iPod touch. You're selling iPads for less than a thousand dollars. If you can do all that, you can do anything.

That's the spirit !
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesure View Post

They can't do it until the AT&T contract runs out. If they don't do it then, feel free to bitch. It's time...no, it's overdue, but complaining that it isn't happening TODAY doesn't work when they are under contract.

What bitching? I'm offering words of encouragement. It's the new me. Keep everything positive. Besides, didn't i read here earlier this year that it's gonna happen this Xmas?
  • Reply 27 of 82
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I could care less about verizon and have has no problems with my anntena... The proximity sensor on the other hand is driving ms crazy. I can talk to someone without inadvertently switching to speaker phone or FaceTime several times during the call.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Over extended? Not really. The production capacity may be running at full rate currently, but it's easy enough to add capacity if required. Plus, the rumor CDMA version of iPhone will be produced by a different OEM, so the current capacity bottleneck doesn't apply to the CDMA phone.

*cough* White Iphone.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Easier said than done. Unless you've read the contract between AT&T and Apple. I'm sure Apple is fed up with AT&T. I'm sure if they're able to add Verizon they would've done so already.

I would like to see better relations between Verizon and Apple on all fronts. I have a FIOS DVR and there is good software available for the PC to beam YouTube and content from your computer to the TV. Nuthin for the Mac. It's like having that part of Apple TV's functionality included for the price of cable.

On a positive note (Yes, let's be positive here) I used to be bugged by Verizon's lack of IMAP email, but with the iP4 multi tasking, it's no longer an issue. Just keep the mail app open all day. Now if someone would just email me...
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I could care less about verizon and have has no problems with my anntena..l.

Neither do I. If the iPhone goes to Verizon I would wait until my contract expires in summer 2012. Assuming the earth's polarity doesn't change direction by then.

But there are tons (vague term on purpose) of users who would get an iPhone 4 (5?) on Verizon. It's a money maker.

Take a page from Nike Mr. Jobs. Just do it.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Androids have only a 9% share?

I thought that they had taken over, from all the hyperventilating that went on here from some?

Wait till the iPhone shows up on Verizon: Android 9%....8%...7%...6%....

Haven't you heard? iPhone is dead and Android is the new Microsoft of mobile phones, Apple is now the bit player.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Even if Verizon was a partner, if you can't put them in the customer's hands, what does it matter?

McDonalds could be promising them with happy meal, and it still does not matter.

Apple is losing sales right now because people (at least here in Canada) cannot get an iPhone 4 due to NO stock.

Apple is over extending itself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Everybody and his mom wants an iPhone on Verizon. If they don't make the move soon, they have nobody to blame but themselves for literally millions of lost sales as well as the ultimate success of Android. How can Apple continue to be successful if they refuse to produce the products their customers clearly want?

Apple can be successful as long as people are still buying. The thing is too many people want to buy. Apple hasn't overextended, they under extended in this case. Sure, people in the USA want a Verizon phone, everyone else around the world just wants to be able to buy the bloody current one. It will be very interesting to see how Steve steers this ship. I wish him the best of health.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I could care less about verizon and have has no problems with my anntena... The proximity sensor on the other hand is driving ms crazy. I can talk to someone without inadvertently switching to speaker phone or FaceTime several times during the call.

Well hopefully that should be fixed within the next few days with iOS 4.1. Do report back and let us know how it went.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:

What bitching? I'm offering words of encouragement. It's the new me. Keep everything positive. Besides, didn't i read here earlier this year that it's gonna happen this Xmas?

Nice. Positive is the new black, I hope...
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Thanks bud. It's ok I get it.

I'm just saying. Of course we all make comments we know to be right until someone points out we're not.

No groaning needed man. It's all good.

Great reply.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.

That's the funniest thing I heard all day. I thought you were just being sarcastic until I read your next post...

Quote:

That's a major problem for Verizon and Sprint. That is why it won't make sense for them to have an iPhone until 2013-2014,,,,,when their 4G footprint is large enough to provide adequate national coverage. Until then.....oh well.

Even in 2013, Verizon's 4G footprint may not be big enough to not have CDMA to fall back on. Think less coverage than tmobile. And even if it was, how many millions would have gone to Android by then? Switching between Android and iPhone once you've invested in one is like switching between Mac and PC. Sure, it can be done; but all the money you spent in buying apps, all the time you spent learning how the OS works, is thrown out the window. The relatively minor incremental cost for Apple to deploy a Verizon iPhone is probably insignificant to the cost of getting an established Android user to switch platforms and repurchase all their apps 3 years from now.

Apple needs to be able to fight Android on a level playing field in the US. And they can't do that if they only have access to 1/3 of the US cell phone market (ATT's customer base).
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Androids have only a 9% share?

I thought that they had taken over, from all the hyperventilating that went on here from some?

Wait till the iPhone shows up on Verizon: Android 9%....8%...7%...6%....

It will inevitably show up on Verizon for sure. But when is the question. Last year, we had rumors of November and that came and went. This year, we have rumors of Janurary and that'll probably come and go with no iPhone on Verizon.

Until then, Android will: 9%...10%...11%...13%...15%...20%...

If Apple waits too long, it won't matter if the iPhone shows up on Verizon. Too many will have jumped onto the Android ship.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:

I have a FIOS DVR and there is good software available for the PC to beam YouTube and content from your computer to the TV. Nuthin for the Mac.

But isn't that a pretty common situation for Macs?

And do you really think that the FIOS software is good? I've used it a couple of times, but I think it kind of sucks.

I always just plug the laptop into the TV using HDMI. I have a long HDMI cable that goes to the table next to my seat. Its easy and quick with only one wire, and I get 5.1 sound with it. The battery lasts for several movies.

With a desktop, the FIOS software is the best choice, I guess. But laptops all have HDMI out.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

... If Apple waits too long, it won't matter if the iPhone shows up on Verizon. Too many will have jumped onto the Android ship.

Embarking on the DV Android is like going on a cruise to no where. They'll be eager to jump off if they get a chance to sail to the islands on the SY iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:

I would like to see better relations between Verizon and Apple on all fronts. I have a FIOS DVR and there is good software available for the PC to beam YouTube and content from your computer to the TV. Nuthin for the Mac. It's like having that part of Apple TV's functionality included for the price of cable.

On a positive note (Yes, let's be positive here) I used to be bugged by Verizon's lack of IMAP email, but with the iP4 multi tasking, it's no longer an issue. Just keep the mail app open all day. Now if someone would just email me...

Isn't Verizon bringing Fios to the iPad? Maybe that's a start..
  • Reply 40 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

It will inevitably show up on Verizon for sure. But when is the question. Last year, we had rumors of November and that came and went. This year, we have rumors of Janurary and that'll probably come and go with no iPhone on Verizon.

Until then, Android will: 9%...10%...11%...13%...15%...20%...

If Apple waits too long, it won't matter if the iPhone shows up on Verizon. Too many will have jumped onto the Android ship.

All the rumors I heard last year that were talking about November were talking about November 2010, not November 2009. People reading the rumors just weren't understanding them, or were reading rumors of rumors what weren't forwarding the correct information. So people were then disappointed about now iPhone last year, even though that's not what the rumors were saying. November 2010 to January 2011 is a relatively minor slip in the rumor's timeline.