iPhone 4 antenna issue 'topical,' but users more interested in Verizon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But isn't that a pretty common situation for Macs?

And do you really think that the FIOS software is good? I've used it a couple of times, but I think it kind of sucks.

I always just plug the laptop into the TV using HDMI. I have a long HDMI cable that goes to the table next to my seat. Its easy and quick with only one wire, and I get 5.1 sound with it. The battery lasts for several movies.

With a desktop, the FIOS software is the best choice, I guess. But laptops all have HDMI out.

I don't have a PC anymore so I can't comment on the software. And I too just plug my MacBook pro into the TV to watch stuff.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Isn't Verizon bringing Fios to the iPad? Maybe that's a start..

Let's hope so.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Embarking on the DV Android is like going on a cruise to no where. They'll be eager to jump off if they get a chance to sail to the islands on the SY iPhone.

As time goes forward, Android will continue to be refined to the point where the experience is identical (in many places it already is and surpasses) to iOS. Apple continuing to hold the iPhone on AT&T is just giving Google the free time they need.

It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is of Android. Many have jumped onto the Android ship and the vast majority have decided to stay onboard.

If Android is a terrible as you personally say it is, then why haven't people been jumping off in droves? Why are new Android phones being gobbled up faster than they can be produced?
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In other words, our survey suggests that Apple is losing up to 20% of potential domestic iPhone sales due to the antenna issues," analyst Gene Munster wrote. He noted that could correlate to 880,000 fewer unit sales in the September quarter in a worst-case scenario.

Knock on wood, but I've still never had a dropped call on my iPhone 4 -- not one. I spend up to a couple hours a day on conference calls and my 3GS would drop several times a day just sitting in the office. My 4 works in every corner of the building and I can even ride the elevators or drive all the way home without fear of dropping.

I did hesitate to buy because of the antenna complaints, but feel stupid for doing so. It's hands-down the most reliable phone I've ever used.

I did get a black Apple Bumper case for free. For the longest time I didn't use it because reception was not an issue, but then I put it on just in case I drop it... it's an excellent case, although obviously not as protective as an OtterBox or some thick silicone cases.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

All the rumors I heard last year that were talking about November were talking about November 2010, not November 2009. People reading the rumors just weren't understanding them, or were reading rumors of rumors what weren't forwarding the correct information. So people were then disappointed about now iPhone last year, even though that's not what the rumors were saying. November 2010 to January 2011 is a relatively minor slip in the rumor's timeline.

Maybe I mixed up the date the rumors started with the rumored launch date. But there are articles speculating a Verizon iPhone in 2009. I also do remember rumors that the 3GS launch event would include an announcement of the Verizon iPhone.

Point is that the Verizon iPhone rumor has persisted so long that it's starting to become like the boy who cried wolf. Every few weeks, a new date is put out and that date comes and passes with no iPhone on Big Red.

Maybe it will happen in January 2011. I'm personally not holding my breath.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    It is interesting to note that 100% of Android users were aware of the fact that they already own an Android phone. Whereas only 38% Iphone users were aware that they already own an Iphone. I wonder , of Iphone users who do not claim to own an Iphone, what is the ratio of those who use Iphones and Have considered buying one to those who use Iphone and have not considered buying one. Very silly survey.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Maybe I mixed up the date the rumors started with the rumored launch date. But there are articles speculating a Verizon iPhone in 2009. I also do remember rumors that the 3GS launch event would include an announcement of the Verizon iPhone.

Point is that the Verizon iPhone rumor has persisted so long that it's starting to become like the boy who cried wolf. Every few weeks, a new date is put out and that date comes and passes with no iPhone on Big Red.

Maybe it will happen in January 2011. I'm personally not holding my breath.

True, "the boy who cried wolf" is a good analogy.

Perhaps I should amend my original comment to state, "All the credible rumors I heard last year..." There's always those rumors which are based on wishful thinking. But the rumors I read which talked about the chips and technology that Apple would likely want for a Verizon iPhone said the tech wouldn't be available until the summer of 2010. That's why a Fall 2010 (and now early 2011) seemed credible to me.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:

As time goes forward, Android will continue to be refined to the point where the experience is identical (in many places it already is and surpasses) to iOS. Apple continuing to hold the iPhone on AT&T is just giving Google the free time they need.

It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is of Android. Many have jumped onto the Android ship and the vast majority have decided to stay onboard.

If Android is a terrible as you personally say it is, then why haven't people been jumping off in droves? Why are new Android phones being gobbled up faster than they can be produced?

Because,

a) most of them have just recently jumped on, and

b) it was the only cruise available to them.

Your previous points about no iPhone on Verizon undermine your later arguments, making your entire line of reasoning extremely weak. Android appeals to carriers because, as they are quickly realizing, they can lock it down: it's the new feature phone OS. For the same reasons, it will become increasingly unpopular with users in the future, and even the geeks who tremble with excitement over each new Android phone will eventually end up with a bad taste in their mouths.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:

That's somewhat like asking why people continue to smoke, isn't it?
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Because,

a) most of them have just recently jumped on, and

b) it was the only cruise available to them.

Your previous points about no iPhone on Verizon undermine your later arguments, making your entire line of reasoning extremely weak. Android appeals to carriers because, as they are quickly realizing, they can lock it down: it's the new feature phone OS. For the same reasons, it will become increasingly unpopular with users in the future, and even the geeks who tremble with excitement over each new Android phone will eventually end up with a bad taste in their mouths.

How so? As long as there's no Verizon iPhone, Android will continue to gain. As long as there is no Verizon iPhone, Google will continue to get the free time it needs to continue to polish Android. It's currently not a completely horrible OS and many are finding that out when they use it.

If Apple doesn't break the exclusivity with AT&T until much, much later (say mid-to-late 2011), Android will have already saturated the market to the point where a swing won't be as deadly as it would be now. That's been my point all along.

As for "locked down", is that any different than Apple getting to decide which services will and will not work on the iPhone or when they will get to implementing them? Or what AT&T will and will not allow to work?

The carriers may have noticed that, but thankfully, they've been extremely slow in locking them down. So far, the only instances I've heard of are AT&T keeping Android phones from being able to run third-party apps (on-par with the iPhone) and the Galaxy S on Verizon being restricted to Bing searchs. Neither of those two are huge deal-breakers in my book.

And those geeks you speak of only view the "locked down" as more of a challenge than anything else. Look at the Motorola X. It was supposed to be locked to only the OS Motorola put on it, but it's already been cracked to run a custom OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

That's somewhat like asking why people continue to smoke, isn't it?

I see what you did there.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:

... It's currently not a completely horrible OS and many are finding that out when they use it.

If Apple doesn't break the exclusivity with AT&T until much, much later (say mid-to-late 2011), Android will have already saturated the market to the point where a swing won't be as deadly as it would be now. That's been my point all along.

As for "locked down", is that any different than Apple getting to decide which services will and will not work on the iPhone or when they will get to implementing them? Or what AT&T will and will not allow to work? ...

Not completely horrible? Yeah, that's what most consumers want.

As far as market saturation goes, it won't mean anything. People get new phones at least every two years, or they pay ETFs to jump to new phones. People will simply wait out their contracts or pay the ETF and Android will become the precipitate falling out of the saturated market.

To answer your final questions, yes.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skipaq View Post

When I went in the store I simply said that I wanted to buy an iPhone 4 and no one suggested anything else to me.

My decision was made after hearing and reading all the antenna stuff.

Just got my free case from Apple (made by Belkin) today and I will use it for protection not reception.

My experience was similar. I have a iP3G, and never had any problems with it or ATT at home in Seattle or when I've travelled. My wife has an old dumb phone, and an older iPod touch. She was in need of some tech upgrade, so I decided to get the an iP4 for her birthday. I've read a lot about the antenna issues, and have casually asked a few iP4 owners in passing if it is a problem for them. Not a scientific sample, but it ididn't seem widespread.

I walked a few blocks from my office to the ATT store. Staff was friendly, was asked w/i 30seconds of entering if they could help. Store had a few customers shopping, I casually asked if they had any iPhones in stock. "We have a few." Made a quick call to my wife to see if she could do with her phone being deactivated for a couple hours - just unitl I could get the new one to her at home that evening.

The ATT purchase/ activiation took all of about 10 minutes. Guy asked me to pick out a case, and tossed it in the bag, no questions or charge. My wife doesn't need huge data, so we got her the 200MB one. (Be nice if the tech 'tards at work would give her access to their wifi tho.)

Set up on iTunes for my wife was flawless. There have been no reception issues. She loves it.

Will replace my iP3G with iP4 shortly.

Simply put, Apple stuff just works for me. Was watching a collague wrestle with a PC last night. The furrowed brow syndrome was evident. My Apple stuff just...works.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    From the onset of the iPhone I was drooling. I held off since I was using VZ and had no desire to switch to AT&T. As time went by I kept drooling and recently almost made the switch just to get the iPhone. I was pushed to change after a real estate deal that put my vacation home in a no signal area. Further research showed me that only AT&T was covering the area meaning that if I wanted cell coverage I HAD to change. However, by the time I made the decision to switch, the iPhone fell out of favor with me and I got a Samsung Galaxy S. The service is great, the phone needs a bit of a learning curve on my part, but my previous phone was a 6 year old flip phone dating back to the days of no camera phones! My reasons for going to the "dark side" were simply that it appeared to me that it was the right one for the moment. I'm still an avid Mac used and have only macs as computers and have had them since the early 90's but the phone didn't seem to be as critical to me.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Androids have only a 9% share?

I thought that they had taken over, from all the hyperventilating that went on here from some?

That is total users. The iPhone has been selling for other 3 years now, whilst Android has only been selling in a meaningful way since the introduction of the Droid one year ago. Apple has a massive head start.

The "hyperventilating" is due to how quickly Android has gone from almost nowhere to outselling the iPhone during recent quarters. There is still a long way to go before the number of Android users matches the number of iPhone users and even further before Android catches iOS.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

That is total users. The iPhone has been selling for other 3 years now, whilst Android has only been selling in a meaningful way since the introduction of the Droid one year ago. Apple has a massive head start.

The "hyperventilating" is due to how quickly Android has gone from almost nowhere to outselling the iPhone during recent quarters. There is still a long way to go before the number of Android users matches the number of iPhone users and even further before Android catches iOS.

I guess I should have added a /sarcasm tag..... \

(As an aside, if Apple could make iP4s - incl. the white - the share numbers would, arguably, be off the charts).
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:

How so? As long as there's no Verizon iPhone, Android will continue to gain. As long as there is no Verizon iPhone, Google will continue to get the free time it needs to continue to polish Android. It's currently not a completely horrible OS and many are finding that out when they use it.

But you seem to think that the iPhone development will just stand still from now on. Don't you think the next iPhone (5) and the next one after that (6) aren't currently being tested and designed? I doubt iPhone hardware/software development has come to a halt.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    20% is a lot. But 260 people is NOTHING! A survey of less than 10.000 people doesn't give any image of the real deal.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I appreciate the love for Verizon's network, but I couldn't stand losing simultaneous voice and data functionality on AT&T 3G network. It's a tradeoff - the occasional weak signal for a dual-voice+data network.

Verizon users have never had that, so of course they wouldn't miss it, but I've gotten too accustomed to talking on a call while accessing a website or web app or my email.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

That's the funniest thing I heard all day. I thought you were just being sarcastic until I read your next post...

Even in 2013, Verizon's 4G footprint may not be big enough to not have CDMA to fall back on. Think less coverage than tmobile. And even if it was, how many millions would have gone to Android by then? Switching between Android and iPhone once you've invested in one is like switching between Mac and PC. Sure, it can be done; but all the money you spent in buying apps, all the time you spent learning how the OS works, is thrown out the window. The relatively minor incremental cost for Apple to deploy a Verizon iPhone is probably insignificant to the cost of getting an established Android user to switch platforms and repurchase all their apps 3 years from now.

Apple needs to be able to fight Android on a level playing field in the US. And they can't do that if they only have access to 1/3 of the US cell phone market (ATT's customer base).

Interesting analysis. I hadn't thought about folks investing in Android apps. Perhaps the absolute best marketing ploy for Apple is for the developers of apps and Apple to advertise they will waive the repurchase fees, if you switch to an iPhone from Verizon or T-mobile. The developers won't be happy, but maybe Apple can reimburse them somewhat for everyone who clicks to re-purchase one that has been bought before.

Reducing the barriers to entry would have an even more devastating effect on current Android users, and would further make them lust for an iPhone4 ASAP.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Interesting analysis. I hadn't thought about folks investing in Android apps. Perhaps the absolute best marketing ploy for Apple is for the developers of apps and Apple to advertise they will waive the repurchase fees, if you switch to an iPhone from Verizon or T-mobile. The developers won't be happy, but maybe Apple can reimburse them somewhat for everyone who clicks to re-purchase one that has been bought before.

Reducing the barriers to entry would have an even more devastating effect on current Android users, and would further make them lust for an iPhone4 ASAP.

As noted in another thread, Android users aren't paying for apps like iPhone users, and ad apps are much more common on Android, so Android users aren't likely to have to give up much of an investment to switch. iPhone users would give up lots of paid apps and iTunes ecosystem advantages (music, etc.), so there's more of a deterent to switching for them. As a plus, Android to iPhone users likely get to take advantage of the iTunes ecosystem that they are probably already using on their iPods.