Adobe resumes development of Packager for iPhone tool

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 86
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


    Apple has been creating too many enimies while HTML5 is years behind finalization, and even then it won't be compatible with IE which currently dominates the Internet.



    A year maybe, not "years". Ie 9 just does fine thank you (which will be out by that time). I think you misunderstand what HTML5 is and that many, many developers already use as do many of the sites you visit every day. Professional coders ensure that their sites work in any browser, and all browsers have varying support - no browser has 'zero' support.



    Also ie no longer 'dominates', it has a majority of use, but that has dropped massively, firefox is a very close second, and mobile use of ie is nearly zero.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post


    Yeah, I think the FCC may have had something to do with this, but OTOH, Apple seems to be really throwing down the Gauntlet saying that if you UI sucks, and there are too many of a type of app, you aren't getting through. Both those seem to be targeted at Flash.



    What? they don't seem to be targeted at Flash in any way? What do you mean?
  • Reply 23 of 86
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    What does this statement mean in English, or practical reality? Anybody know?



    Very simply that is has to use only the code that is part of the app submitted to the app store, it's not allowed to call/download extra code during runtime.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Why do people still respond to blackintosh and the other loser moron trolls? There is an ignore list. Use it.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I think Apple should do that if they can detect it.



    I wonder if the move was a collaboration with Adobe to support HTML 5. In other words, they allow the cross-compiler if Adobe agrees to help push HTML 5 forward at the expense of their Flash format.



    There's no sense in supporting Adobe if they don't do the same in return.



    Adobe already support HTML5. HTLM5 != a flash replacement.



    HTML5 is the successor to HTML4 - hyper text mark up language - its nothing new, and most professional developers already use it. It's the core language of web page development, nothing else. It's not some brand new black magic and seems to be very misunderstood on these posts.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post


    Adobe already support HTML5. HTLM5 != a flash replacement.



    Most people seem to think that html+js is a viable alternative to flash now that html5 is around. I would challenge those people to go to a website like http://10k.aneventapart.com/ and see how their iphone just EATS IT UP. It won't.



    To me the real reason Flash sucks is that the horsepower isn't there. Not for flash, and in my experience, not for html5+js, either.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post


    Most people seem to think that html+js is a viable alternative to flash now that html5 is around. I would challenge those people to go to a website like http://10k.aneventapart.com/ and see how their iphone just EATS IT UP. It won't.



    To me the real reason Flash sucks is that the horsepower isn't there. Not for flash, and in my experience, not for html5+js, either.



    No, the real reason Flash sucks, besides that it's a technological pile of crap, is that the people who use it produce utter crap. This is absolutely true on the web -- I've never seen a Flash based website that wasn't awful -- and it will be just as true in the App Store. Flash is what people who shouldn't be developing anything use.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    According to Adobe, developers are already seeing App Store approval of apps made using the Packager tool.





    This gives the lie to Steve's former protest that such apps would inevitably be low quality. That man is just simply full of shit.



    I don't believe anything Apple says about its reasons for doing or not doing anything. They have proven that they will say anything that sounds plausible.



    And they have proven that when their excuses DON'T sound plausible, it is because they are complete fabrications.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gedos View Post


    I think cross platform developers should proudly label their apps as 'Made With Flash', that way I will know which ones to avoid.





    Why, because otherwise they are not able to be distinguished from those made with Apple's proprietary tools?
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    There's no sense in supporting Adobe if they don't do the same in return.



    If not for Adobe, the Mac Pro would be unlikely to still exist. You should be kissing their feet for supporting Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    What does this statement mean in English, or practical reality? Anybody know?





    Probably an indirect reference to Flash. The way some advanced Flash programmers write applications is to create a shell application that loads other swf files (compiled code) into the main stage. These other swf files could actually come from a internet and not reside in the local app package. I think that is the part that is prohibited.



    It is actually kind of a bummer though because it could serve as a great platform to deliver animated magazine subscriptions which are loaded into the reader app, if they allowed it.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    Wow you guys were all wrong. This is all but a strategic move designed to increase support of the iOS / App Store because the "Big One" is coming. I'm talking about iOS powered iMacs. Apple can't have too many enemies when this comes out. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    No, the real reason Flash sucks, besides that it's a technological pile of crap, is that the people who use it produce utter crap.



    Can you point us to examples of superior things you've produced at the same or lower cost?
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ViktorCode View Post


    It means that no app can use plug-ins / scripts downloaded from any other place but AppStore. Say, you can make a photo editor application and can offer its users additional image filters and effects for a fee. Those are essentially pieces of code. But you can offer them only through IAP (in-App Store), not from some internet server or local computer.



    In other words, every piece of code - integrated or not - must pass AppStore approval



    Or in other words, Apple insists on making 30% off of everything in the iOS ecosystem, and they don't really care what it's made with, Flash or anything else, as long as they get to keep collecting that tax.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    No, the real reason Flash sucks, besides that it's a technological pile of crap, is that the people who use it produce utter crap. This is absolutely true on the web -- I've never seen a Flash based website that wasn't awful -- and it will be just as true in the App Store. Flash is what people who shouldn't be developing anything use.



    You are clearly on the kool aid.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gedos View Post


    I think cross platform developers should proudly label their apps as 'Made With Flash', that way I will know which ones to avoid.



    If Flash is as bad as you say, you won't need such a label.



    And if you need such a label, clearly Flash isn't as bad as you say.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


    Apple has been creating too many enimies while HTML5 is years behind finalization...



    Q: What do automotive repair, soybean farming, and the manufacture of processed cheese food have in common?



    A: Those are the three industries Steve Jobs hasn't pissed off this year.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    No, the real reason Flash sucks, besides that it's a technological pile of crap, is that the people who use it produce utter crap. This is absolutely true on the web -- I've never seen a Flash based website that wasn't awful -- and it will be just as true in the App Store. Flash is what people who shouldn't be developing anything use.



    You should probably start looking for a good therapist because your hated for Flash is psychotic. Now that Flash ports are going to be allowed on iPhone, you might just go postal on us without professional help.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post


    Can you point us to examples of superior things you've produced at the same or lower cost?





    He's invented nothing. Ignore those types of comments.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,716member
    I'm more annoyed by Flash than maybe your average Mac user.



    That said, if I was a Flash developer I'd be pretty gun-shy about putting much effort in converting my app.
Sign In or Register to comment.