Adobe resumes development of Packager for iPhone tool

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Damn. No wonder Macs sell so poorly. They really crash just from normal web browsing?

Flash used to cause the browser to crash regularly. Since it's been moved out into its own process, it shouldn't be able to do that any more.

Macs also don't sell all that poorly. Apple have about 15% of shipments compared to HP and Dell at around 30% each and various others in between. Considering the price points that those other manufacturers hit, Apple do ok. They could do better but they're a small outfit so they go for profit over volume.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

To everyone complaining about Flash crashing Safari: Do any of you know whether Safari in Snow Leopard really is "Crash resistant" to plugins as Apple claims? Has this feature actually worked for any of you?

Yes it does. Indeed, if I get a beachball in Safari I can pop over to activity monitor, kill the flash task, and get my browser session back. Short of having a flash plug-in that doesn't suck, this is the next best thing.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Not looking forward to a tidal wave of shoddy ports but it seems Apple has very clearly reserved the right to reject applications for bad interfaces so I suppose that covers my biggest concern.

Yep. Apple has said very clearly that buggy etc apps are likely to be rejected (or pulled if they get a ton of complaints). And if this 'convertor' is still just a layer game there is a big chance it will fail over that issue. At the least they will require a restriction to only the newest of hardware

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It probably has more to do with Apple being worried about an FCC bitch slapping.

I think you mean the FTC. And yes this is probably one part "give in and shut them up because it is easier and cheaper" not unlike the whole "bumpers will fix the antenna" biz

and the other part may be that they found a similar system that isn't crappy and had to change the rules to allow it. Which means allowing everyone.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Jobs was talking out his butt when he made that comment. Safari is the reason my Mac crashes, it will do it with or without any flash loaded

Not for me he wasn't. Since I have stopped whitelisting sites in my flash blocker Safari has yet to crash, and with tons of windows with lots of tabs in each window I rarely get a beachball. It's pretty damning how much better an experience web browsing is without flash.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Not for me he wasn't. Since I have stopped whitelisting sites in my flash blocker Safari has yet to crash, and with tons of windows with lots of tabs in each window I rarely get a beachball. It's pretty damning how much better an experience web browsing is without flash.

I've been running that Click To Flash for months now, I still get beachballs in Safari everyday, yet I don't get any in Chrome
  • Reply 86 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Uh no Mouse you can run some benchmarks in OSX. I know the concept is a bit much for you. If you want to get really creative you can run some benchmarks using Safari for Windows and then do the same in OSX.

Anything that is meaningless is only because you want it to be that way in your own mind.

I know you would rather just bitch and moan and talk about Google and their morals or the deep meaning of competition rather then actually have some hard data to back up anything you might say.

All of these benchmarks are well documented and can be duplicated with little to no effort.

Since there has not been any issue even remotely related to benchmarks raised by you or myself in this discussion, particularly not OS X benchmarks, you comments are entirely irrelevant to anything that's been said so far by either of us. Maybe you're having a discussion there with yourself, but, probably fortunately, we aren't privy to it.

Or, maybe you're just trying to create a smoke screen to distract from the absurdity of your original post?