End of Apple's iPhone 4 Case Program seen as benefit to shareholders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, he said the $175 million set aside for the iPhone 4 Case Program could actually be accretive, and add between 25 cents and 45 cents to Apple's 2011 earnings per share. He noted the $175 million set aside isn't a lot for a company with $45.8 billion in cash.

This is frankly the only good which the bumper is capable of doing.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So a problem for SOME means that a product recall of all iPhone 4s should have taken place. Awesome logic!

When SOME = Major part of devices sold, then I think it's logical enough.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    When all of this 'antenna gate' stuff first started, I thought that it was just Apple's quality control slipping as has happened a few times during this recent decade, the most successful time period in Apple's history. But after seeing the compelling evidence Jobs presented, I see that these problems are a widespread result of our obsession with making things smaller and smaller and the smartphone industry's refusal to put external antenna "nubs" or similarly aesthetically unpleasing protrusions on their phones in order to ensure great reception. I have an old-style smartphone, the Treo 650, which has such an antenna, and it is difficult for me to physically affect its reception.

Apple is to be commended for going above and beyond on their efforts with these bumpers. They took the time to put together a special event identifying and going over every aspect of the problem and then gave away FREE products to combat it. To my knowledge, none of the other companies listed who had similar reception problems have done this.

People continue to expect perfection in an imperfect world. This causes unnecessary lawsuits and hardships for so many. A little understanding, kindness, and working together to solve problems goes a long way.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Okay fine. I'm a broken record. But if Apple does something new that is stupid, I think it "opens the door" for me to say it all over again. Can't wait for tomorrow.

You know, it would be nice for both of us, nay all of us, if Apple would do something to please it's customers, instead of making them (the normal ones) shake their heads and think, "what the hell are you doing??"

What, something like offering a free case or a free return to anyone who was unhappy with their product? That sort of thing to please its customers you mean, even though the satisfaction rate is the highest of any smart phone, signal better than it's predecessor and the return rate the lowest of any smart phone out there. offer a blanket gift to everyone for a problem experienced by a minority? Seems like a pretty nice thing to do with me. And I don't think ten days from a problem being overblown by the media to a full response from the CEO of a major company is "weeks" either.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Yes, but return/complaint rate was less than 1%, so it was a tiny minority, not the major part of devices sold.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

So when <100% are affected you honestly think it's logical that 100% should be recalled? Where do you people spawn from?
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:

Seriously, I watched the videos of other phones with death grips and to be fair, those examples seemed to be someone squeezing the crap out of the phone. The iPhone looses it's signal when holding the phone in a natural way in the left hand. Placing the antenna on the outside clearly makes this problem more severe on the iPhone 4. Never had this happen on my 3G.

It's the natural way part that warrants a recall IMHO.

And Apple did pull those videos, right? Why??

Yes but for some users although touching this point on the phone might degrade signal - although a majority see no change at all - but not significantly (maybe one, at the very worst two bars down), and they're still left with a better overall signal than with the phones predecessor.

I for one, and everyone I know who owns one of these phones (multiple countries, multiple carriers) can't replicate the issue.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

4. Never had this happen on my 3G.

So it never happened on your 3G means it didn't happen on anyone's 3G. Drop the arrogance. (That one is for IronHeadSlim)

Quote:

And Apple did pull those videos, right? Why??

They did pull them. Any point they were trying to male was already made and kicking your competitors when they are already so far behind you doesn't look good. While the videos were accurate and were available well before Apple did there own it was unnecessary and didn't sit well with many investors.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:

Apple's mindshare? Let me tell you about Apple's mindshare. I hear about it all the time because I use Apple products at work. In fact I'm referred to as Mr. Apple and used to be quite the cheerleader for them.

Most of the world considers Apple to be "that company that makes iPods." Most don't even know that Apple makes computers because Windows dominates the earth. Moreover, Apple fans are considered just that. Fans. The word fan is short for fanatic. They think of us like Trekkers, or Twilight-ers or whatever is hip right now. Geeky Kool Aid drinking fanboys.

That is Apple's mindshare if you look just about anywhere but this forum. There is an entire world out there you know. Try living in it.

I don't know what your social/work circle is, but you seem utterly out of touch. I don't know a single person who isn't aware of the iMac - so tell me again that most people don't know Apple makes computers? Utter nonsense.

I also don't believe you were ever a "cheerleader" for them - maybe back in the lates 80s when they were a failing company with incredibly small market share and the iPod hadn't been launched?

Apple are a great company, with an ever increasing profit, Jobs has transformed the company and more people discover Apple and it's products every day. If you think Apple is in some way failing and people aren't aware of the brand and what it creates, then you're living in a very strange part of the planet indeed.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    The free case thing was more or less a pacifier for the press. I remember C|Net's live coverage of the iPhone press conference, and some of the most cynical and pessimistic remarks were made by their head staff--it ranged from "end of Apple" to conspiracy theory cover-up remarkes during the whole thing. (Molly Wood is a joke!) When Jobs announced the bumpers, their so-called reporters started doing mock victory dances behind the microphones--I thought this was news?!

The only thing I learned from the whole thing was not to trust the news media a little less, an the blogosophere not at all. Real science was trumped by tech journalists and YouTube videos.

PS: What cracked me up was how everyone believed the YouTube videos by random joe schmoes, but immediately denounced the videos Apple put up with other mfg's phones.

PSS: Consumer Reports is a sham of a "consumer focused" magazine, more of a shakedown publication.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:

Okay fine. I'm a broken record. But if Apple does something new that is stupid, I think it "opens the door" for me to say it all over again. Can't wait for tomorrow.

You know, it would be nice for both of us, nay all of us, if Apple would do something to please it's customers, instead of making them (the normal ones) shake their heads and think, "what the hell are you doing??"

I feel you man and I understand the frustration. Even the most avid fanboy has some gripe about some of the things Apple does. But unfortunately you, me, and everyone here bitching about Apple and Steve wouldn't do anything. Picketing over at Cupertino might do it.. But then again that's what this forum is for. If only Steve Jobs comes here to listen to us huh?
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:

Most of the world considers Apple to be "that company that makes iPods." Most don't even know that Apple makes computers because Windows dominates the earth. Moreover, Apple fans are considered just that. Fans. The word fan is short for fanatic. They think of us like Trekkers, or Twilight-ers or whatever is hip right now. Geeky Kool Aid drinking fanboys.

Unlike many Americans, I don't use products because of their popularity. I use them because they work for me. I used Macs long before the iPod, regardless of their popularity. If that earns me a place as one of "the crazy ones," well then so be it.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post

PSS: Consumer Reports is a sham of a "consumer focused" magazine, more of a shakedown publication.

Really? Who are they "shaking down," and how?
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yes but for some users although touching this point on the phone might degrade signal - although a majority see no change at all - but not significantly (maybe one, at the very worst two bars down), and they're still left with a better overall signal than with the phones predecessor.

I for one, and everyone I know who owns one of these phones (multiple countries, multiple carriers) can't replicate the issue.

I thought we (the world) decided it only occurs in areas with poor ATT reception? As such, you may not know anyone with this problem. I don't have it, but I can't dismiss all the traffic out there that says it exists.

As a shareholder, I want to see everyone get an iPhone 4 and that's not gonna happen if some people can't hold a call. Yes, the iPhone has a great following as it is, but lets try to do better. Put the antenna back on the inside and call it a day.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So it never happened on your 3G means it didn't happen on anyone's 3G. Drop the arrogance. (That one is for IronHeadSlim)

I like a good comeback. But that wasn't one. I am not aware of anyone having antenna issues with any previous iPhone. Not until the 3G showed up on the scene with a plastic back did I hear some speculation that the metal back interfered with reception.

No, all the dropped calls on previous iPhones are owned by ATT. Apple just made a bad situation worse with the new antenna.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I don't know what your social/work circle is, but you seem utterly out of touch. I don't know a single person who isn't aware of the iMac - so tell me again that most people don't know Apple makes computers? Utter nonsense.

I also don't believe you were ever a "cheerleader" for them - maybe back in the lates 80s when they were a failing company with incredibly small market share and the iPod hadn't been launched

It's true in my neck of the woods. I do work with some older people (older than me) who could care less about gadgets. But when I do get asked about a wireless network and mention Time Capsule, no one knows what I'm talking about.

During the whole Vista mess, someone might show me an ad for a cheap PC and I would say, "I wouldn't want it because it runs Vista. I prefer Leopard." No one knows what Leopard is. It is not a household name. But it should be.

As for dot mac, mobile me, personal training, time machine, quick look, most people don't know what these are. Utter nonsense? No sir. Apple is a niche market. Very few people know what it's all about.

As far as the cheerleader thing, it's true. I made the switch during the Intel changeover. Like most people I had NO IDEA there was a viable alternative to Windows. I told everybody who would listen how great I thought my Mac was. I stopped because I have been met with outright hostility. Apple fanboy arrogance is well known amongst Windows users. That's where I heard the Kool Aid analogy for the first time. A co worker told me, "well, I guess you drank the Kool Aid."

Whether it's true or not, people perceive Apple to be even more of a walled garden than it really is. Most people I talked to were shocked to find out that Macs can go on the internet and do email. And don't get people started about the price.

Hope this makes the point. I'm trying to get you to take your first step into a larger world Luke.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

Unlike many Americans, I don't use products because of their popularity. I use them because they work for me. I used Macs long before the iPod, regardless of their popularity. If that earns me a place as one of "the crazy ones," well then so be it.

I also use Macs because they work for me. Over the past ten years Apple has played nice with the Windows world, culminating in the Intel Switch and bootcamp which gave many, including me, the safety net to make the switch. And it's been a great ride.

It's the change in Apple's tone of late that troubles me. This whole notion that Apple steers the internet by banning flash from portable (I didn't say mobile) devices. The curated App store which dictates what you can and can't do with your device. And back on point, the attitude with which the whole antenna issue was handled.

"Don't hold it that way." Ouch. As a user and a stock holder, I don't like to hear that from the candy man of Apple.

No Muncy, we weren't "crazy ones" to use a Mac. But we might be a little bit crazy to use an iOS device.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    It's amazing how wrong and arrogant Blackintosh is. This sort of mental disconnect and hatred for a company has to be Teckstud.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Back to the original theme of the thread about benefiting shareholders.

Dropping the program may add a slight increase to accessory sales just in time for the holidays, but don't count on a significant increase as 175 million or 300 million to Apple wouldn't mean anything in its earnings.

Just watching the ANALISTS (the way it should be spelled) picking up crumbs on the floor.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Funny how no one mentioned the reception problem after the free bumpers were announced. Non problem from beginning.

So much for your credibility.