Apple debunks bogus story of Steve Jobs' throwing star troubles [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 150
    Steve to security guy: "You're holding it wrong."
  • Reply 22 of 150
    Visit AI for the latest NON Apple News... CHECK.
  • Reply 23 of 150
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I can't imagine an executive of a high tech company would say they were never going to visit Japan again - important market that one.

The not bringing the stars on a plane sounds perfectly fair to me though. It's not that he wouldn't try to hijack his own plane, but once they are through security and air-side, there is no reason why they couldn't be either handed to someone else getting on another plane or even stolen. I'm not saying Jobs would do that, but the security people can't differentiate and it's unlikely they would allow a security hole as simple as to allow weapons to get air-side as long as they are brought through security for private flights.

Great explanation and point of view.......

Also saying I won't ever come back now that you won't let me have my way sounds just like a spoiled billionaire that is always used to getting his way....Maybe he won't sell Apple products in Japan now! :-) No Apple for you!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

He's gonna have to use a different weapon to kill Eric.

iPhone 5.
  • Reply 25 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad;

Great explanation and point of view.......

Also saying I won't ever come back now that you won't let me have my way sounds just like a spoiled billionaire that is always used to getting his way....Maybe he won't sell Apple products in Japan now! :-) No Apple for you!!!!

Rest assured that part isn't true.
  • Reply 26 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

They should have separate security for private jets...what the hell would they be protecting? Obama recently visited my city...I'm pretty sure he didn't go through regular security...LOL

Well...the only difference is that Obama is the PRESIDENT and Jobs is just a spoiled billionaire..........
  • Reply 27 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Absolutely correct but I wonder whether the notion of checked luggage exists with private jets. If it is your own private jet, you probably can take anything out of your 'checked luggage' again once you are on board.

I've been lucky enough to fly on private planes a few times and there is checked luggage.
  • Reply 28 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

They should have separate security for private jets...what the hell would they be protecting? Obama recently visited my city...I'm pretty sure he didn't go through regular security...LOL

Most airports do have separate security for private planes (it's normally called the General Aviation Terminal at airports), but that doesn't change the fact that the rules are, zero weapons air-side. Again, at most airports it's possible to clear security in the General Aviation Terminal, then goto the regular terminal, where you could if you wanted to, hand anything to another passenger.

The rule is simple and clear. No matter how you get there, there are no dangerous items to be on your possession air-side at an airport.
  • Reply 29 of 150
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Wait. I hear the waaahmbulance siren screaming as it rushes to the airport from the mental institution. Poor little billionaires, not getting what they want, when they want it, so they go & have themselves a little hissy fit.

I'm just surprised that when he couldn't get his way, he didn't immediately throw himself to the floor and start pounding his fists and kicking his little feet. Japan and Adobe, I hate both of you! Boo hoo.

Absolutely adorable little princess.

The fact is, though, that he didn't throw himself to the floor and all the rest you describe. So your surprise is probably more reflective of your own shortcomings, not his. Thanks for elevating the discussion, though. There's always a few trolls in every group.

Personally, I can see both sides of it. Most of the security rules like this are in place to stop people from committing acts of violence against innocent strangers on commercial flights. It's not like a guy is going to hijack his own plane (there are other potentially scary things a guy can do with his own plane, but obviously stopping a man from carrying pointy metal objects doesn't prevent any of those). So you could see the owner of a private jet being flabbergasted that they'd apply those rules to him.

The airport on the other hand, doesn't have a separate policy for private vs commercial jets. I wonder if other airports do? At any rate, the airport's rule has got to supervene in the end. It's fair to insist a rule be applied uniformly as intended. But sometimes 'fair' is kind of wrong-headed, too.

Like none of you has ever had an outburst.
  • Reply 30 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Wait. I hear the waaahmbulance siren screaming as it rushes to the airport from the mental institution. Poor little billionaires, not getting what they want, when they want it, so they go & have themselves a little hissy fit.

I'm just surprised that when he couldn't get his way, he didn't immediately throw himself to the floor and start pounding his fists and kicking his little feet. Japan and Adobe, I hate both of you! Boo hoo.

Absolutely adorable little princess.

Jealous much?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Indeed. Baby 'Matt' is having one right now. Waaaaaaaaaaah, I'm not a billionaire!
  • Reply 31 of 150
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Maybe he won't sell Apple products in Japan now! :-) No Apple for you!!!!

That's not ambitious enough for Steve. He would deliberately sell them lots of products to let the weirdness of the Internet in, and mess with their uptight culture. Then return in glory 10 years later and get waived through customs with a machine gun. "I told you to let me take the ninja stars."
  • Reply 32 of 150
    Quote:

Personally, I can see both sides of it. Most of the security rules like this are in place to stop people from committing acts of violence against innocent strangers on commercial flights. It's not like a guy is going to hijack his own plane (there are other potentially scary things a guy can do with his own plane, but obviously stopping a man from carrying pointy metal objects doesn't prevent any of those). So you could see the owner of a private jet being flabbergasted that they'd apply those rules to him.

The airport on the other hand, doesn't have a separate policy for private vs commercial jets. I wonder if other airports do? At any rate, the airport's rule has got to supervene in the end. It's fair to insist a rule be applied uniformly as intended. But sometimes 'fair' is kind of wrong-headed, too.

You make some very good points. Executives can get as pissy as they want that the rules apply to them the same as everyone else, but there is little doubt that Bin Laden could afford a private jet. Should he be allowed to send someone through security with weapons because they are getting onto a private jet, only to have that person hand the weapons onto someone else who's getting onto a commercial jet?
  • Reply 33 of 150
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Also saying I won't ever come back now that you won't let me have my way sounds just like a spoiled billionaire that is always used to getting his way...

Come on. Grow up. Like it's only billionaires who have outbursts. Are you a tranquilized chinchilla?
  • Reply 34 of 150
    Quote:

I've been lucky enough to fly on private planes a few times and there is checked luggage.

I've flown on private planes and there wasn't checked luggage other than as a convenience measure for passengers by the flight crew. More important, luggage that is truly "checked" is x-rayed and can't be accessible by passengers until outside of security at the destination airport. There's no way that can be assured on a private aircraft.

Regardless, Japan has the right to implement any air security procedure they want whether Jobs likes it or not.

Lastly, why is this even making news on AI? Especially since Jobs was on vacation, this has nothing to do with Apple or any products they sell or might sell.
  • Reply 35 of 150
    Quote:

The fact is, though, that he didn't throw himself to the floor and all the rest you describe. So your surprise is probably more reflective of your own shortcomings, not his. Thanks for elevating the discussion, though. There's always a few trolls in every group.

But the rational response from a billionaire CEO of a huge company like Apple should have been gracious and understanding. He could have had an assistant either put the ninja stars in checked baggage or simply order more and have then delivered to his doorstep....
  • Reply 36 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Steve to security guy: "You're holding it wrong."

haha
  • Reply 37 of 150
    Quote:

I can't imagine an executive of a high tech company would say they were never going to visit Japan again - important market that one.

The not bringing the stars on a plane sounds perfectly fair to me though. It's not that he wouldn't try to hijack his own plane, but once they are through security and air-side, there is no reason why they couldn't be either handed to someone else getting on another plane or even stolen. I'm not saying Jobs would do that, but the security people can't differentiate and it's unlikely they would allow a security hole as simple as to allow weapons to get air-side as long as they are brought through security for private flights.

I guess you've never been on a private jet - you generally don't go through the normal terminals, but a separate small building elsewhere on the airport grounds.
  • Reply 38 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Unless they are illegal to export, why didn't he just put it into the luggage hold? Smells like a phony story.

Yes I thought the same. Not that I couldn't imagine Steve Jobs doing some stupid things here and there (don't we all), but this sounds rather like the whining of a 5 year old prat.
  • Reply 39 of 150
    Quote:

Come on. Grow up. Like it's only billionaires who have outbursts. Are you a tranquilized chinchilla?

This is someone who handles adversity everyday. Who manages a very large corporation.....he is used to conflicting advice and heated politically charged environments.

He should have handled it better than saying I'm not coming back to your country now that you won't let me have my way....

So stop attacking me personally and stick to the subject.......
  • Reply 40 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

I guess you've never been on a private jet - you generally don't go through the normal terminals, but a separate small building elsewhere on the airport grounds.

Yes I'm well aware of that, I've flown through the General Aviation Terminal a lot of times, but you are free to go from that terminal to the main terminal at a lot of airports.