Apple debunks bogus story of Steve Jobs' throwing star troubles [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Unless they are illegal to export, why didn't he just put it into the luggage hold? Smells like a phony story.

While the incident may have happened (Steve was asked not to take the items by security), the "details" in the story (Steve's reaction) were likely sensationalized, ie, completely fabricated. Tabloids tend to do that sort of thing.
  • Reply 82 of 150
    Is this site gonna turn into a PerezHilton now? This is very silly story, just because Steve couldn't bring a weapon back to US he's not gonna visit Japan...just silly.
  • Reply 83 of 150
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I'm sorry, but were you standing behind him in line when this happened? So you don't know if this account is factual or not? You're basing this off an AI article quoting a Japanese tabloid.

None of us no how Steve Jobs actually reacted.

Oh and by the way, I hear Elvis is still alive and married to a Sasquatch, and recently had twin Martian babies.

You are right...I was not standing behind him to get context or voice tone or whatever...but neither were you...so we have to go with what was reported.....

Elvis is alive!!!! AWESOMNE!! My Mom who is eighty now will be thrilled...she still has every LP he every recored! Elvis has offspring too? Man this day just keeps getting better! :-)
  • Reply 84 of 150
    A Haiku by Steve J.

"In the rising sun.

Ninja stars denied on plane.

No iPhone for you!"

• Reply 85 of 150
    Steve does like to dress in black... turtlenecks that is... turtles, hmmm... as in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... bet they have throwing stars!

• Reply 86 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If you were told you could not bring a personal item into your own car, you would throw a hissy fit too. And justifiably so. You're one of those who has no empathy for anyone else but is probably the first to yell "less government!" when they intrude on your freedoms. STFU.

If the personal item was a bomb or other type of weapon, and my car was located in a secure area, I would not throw a hissy fit. It would not be justifiable.

Even less so bringing deadly weapons through an airport security check.

This has nothing to do with the OP's level of empathy. This has nothing to do with the OP's political views. Telling someone to Shut The Fuck Up is very rude.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 87 of 150
    Have any of you actually read that story on SPA! before commenting?
  • Reply 87 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What they do now is technically illegal in most countries as I said.

That is NOT what you said. And if you want anybody to believe that it is a true statement, you'll have to cite some pretty extraordinary evidence.

This sounds a lot like many other shibboleths.
  • Reply 89 of 150
    So, he was stopped while passing through security, is that right? Then, he was in the regular airline terminal, or at least in an airline terminal? He wouldn't get through out airline security, either.
  • Reply 90 of 150
    This is certainly false. You don't need to check luggage, etc. with a private jet. I kinda doubt Steve just pulled his jet up to a gate in the public terminal.
  • Reply 91 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This is certainly false. You don't need to check luggage, etc. with a private jet. I kinda doubt Steve just pulled his jet up to a gate in the public terminal.

"the airport does not have separate security policies for flyers on a private jet."
  • Reply 92 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

It's the principle of the thing. It's his own plane, and like he said, what sense does it make for him to hijack his own plane?

How can security be expected to verify who owns a given airplane?
  • Reply 93 of 150
    Seeing as how the airport treats private and public jets the same, it makes sense that Jobs was not allowed to take a WEAPON on board THROUGH THE AIRPORT.

Rules are there for a reason
  • Reply 94 of 150
    It's a relief to know other countries security are just as stupid as ours.
  • Reply 95 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Seeing as how the airport treats private and public jets the same, it makes sense that Jobs was not allowed to take a WEAPON on board THROUGH THE AIRPORT.

Rules are there for a reason

Agreed. Once through security, there's nothing stopping someone from just passing it off to someone else going on a different plane. That said, I highly doubt this story is true.
  • Reply 96 of 150
    Well, if a 'tabloid' says so...
  • Reply 97 of 150
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

Seriously? It's a private jet!!!! He should be able to bring throwing stars onto his own private jet...c'mon peeps this is stupid.

Hate to get sucked into what is obviously a BS story, but (assuming for a moment its true), the problem is not weapons on his own jet, its weapons being brought into the common airport space, from which it could be transfered to anyone.

Pretty obvious to anyone without an axe to grind. (no pun intended.)
  • Reply 98 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Wait. I hear the waaahmbulance siren screaming as it rushes to the airport from the mental institution. Poor little billionaires, not getting what they want, when they want it, so they go & have themselves a little hissy fit.

I'm just surprised that when he couldn't get his way, he didn't immediately throw himself to the floor and start pounding his fists and kicking his little feet. Japan and Adobe, I hate both of you! Boo hoo.

Absolutely adorable little princess.

matt_s did you even look at the source (the Japanese equivalent of the SUN tabloid) or read the entire article? The sources cited didn't even agree and you launch on this silly diatribe? Awesomely goofy, unless you are serious.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was reportedly stopped in an airport in Japan after he attempted to bring Ninja throwing stars onto a plane, and vowed to never visit the country again, according to a Japanese tabloid.

For cryin' outloud, it's a friggin' tabloid (read National Enquirer) .... does this "story" even rate one reply, not only 3 pages and counting .... wtf happened to this website ... it used to be fairly informative ... now it just sucks .. bigtime. Nice going, Kasper. See what a lack of curation causes.
  • Reply 100 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kawai View Post

Have any of you actually read that story on SPA! before commenting?

And they claimed what?