Apple debunks bogus story of Steve Jobs' throwing star troubles [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 150
    Well.. The secret is out. STEVE JOBS IS A NINJA! Only question unanswered is... Is he a master or a student?

I don't think anyone would dare buy a stolen prototype anymore.
  • Reply 62 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

This is someone who handles adversity everyday. Who manages a very large corporation.....he is used to conflicting advice and heated politically charged environments.

He should have handled it better than saying I'm not coming back to your country now that you won't let me have my way....

So stop attacking me personally and stick to the subject.......

he may or may not have said that but i can imagine him being very pissed at the stupid 'logic' of it. if he did say it i am sure he will cool off and apologize. but one thing is sure, he doesn't have to take your or my advice on how to behave any more than we have to take his.
  • Reply 63 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Well.. The secret is out. STEVE JOBS IS A NINJA! Only question unanswered is... Is he a master or a student?

I don't think anyone would dare buy a stolen prototype anymore.

hmmm... That explains the black turtle-neck shirt!!!
  • Reply 64 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

But Jobs was going through security in the regular terminal of a regular airport. How is the security guy to know he's a billionaire? Whilst we on this Apple fan site obviously know who Steve Jobs is, a Japanese security guard won't have a clue. Hell, all the security guard saw was a man of Syrian decent trying to take a weapon onto a plane!

good point. he's lucky he wasn't arrested!
  • Reply 65 of 150
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

This is someone who handles adversity everyday. Who manages a very large corporation.....he is used to conflicting advice and heated politically charged environments.

He should have handled it better than saying I'm not coming back to your country now that you won't let me have my way....

So stop attacking me personally and stick to the subject.......

Give me a break. First of, we don't really know if he said anything of the kind. And if he did, we don't know the context or the tone of voice. It could have been a joke or just one of those things we grumble when things don't go our way. I got a ticket driving through a city near by and I think I said to my wife, I'm never driving there again. Obviously I didn't mean it but perhaps it made me feel better for a minute to vent. Big deal.

Slow news day.
  • Reply 66 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was reportedly stopped in an airport in Japan after he attempted to bring Ninja throwing stars onto a plane, and vowed to never visit the country again, according to a Japanese tabloid.

According to Bloomberg, Japan's SPA! Magazine reported that Jobs was the subject of a security scan at Kansai International Airport in July as he was returning home from a family vacation on his own private jet. The executive was allegedly stopped because he had throwing stars in his carry-on luggage.

"Jobs said it wouldn't make sense for a person to try to hijack his own plane, according to the report," the translation reads. "He then told officials he would never visit Japan again, the magazine reported. Apple declined to comment."

Lending some credibility to the story, a spokesperson for the airport did confirm that a passenger traveling on a private jet was stopped at the end of July for carrying "shuriken," which is the Japanese word for throwing stars. The passenger reportedly agreed to throw away the weapons, as the airport does not have separate security policies for flyers on a private jet.

As a multi-billionaire and one of the most famous executives in the world, Jobs' activities in public are often publicized, though reports are typically less mundane than his purported incident in a Japanese airport.

In August, a photo of Jobs was snapped as he left a popular San Francisco, Calif., restaurant, where he couldn't get a seat because he didn't have a reservation. And in March, he and Google CEO Eric Schmidt were spotted drinking coffee together in Palo Alto, Calif.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Anyway, more importantly is why was Jobs in Japan?

Family Vacation. Not iphone 5
  • Reply 67 of 150
    Friends of mine just went through Japan via air and mentioned that they had very specific signs regarding types of weapons and that there was a focus on business people and swords.

I'll ask her what it said more exactly, it was quite unique/odd for an airport "dangerous" luggage sign.
  • Reply 68 of 150
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Honestly, do some of you believe everything you read? Furthermore, do you really care about this type of "news" anyway?

I guess there will always be room on the rack for tabloids.
  • Reply 69 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

Visit AI for the latest NON Apple News... CHECK.

Visit

AI

9to5mac

Macrumors

etc...
  • Reply 70 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Give me a break. First of, we don't really know if he said anything of the kind. And if he did, we don't know the context or the tone of voice. It could have been a joke or just one of those things we grumble when things don't go our way. I got a ticket driving through a city near by and I think I said to my wife, I'm never driving there again. Obviously I didn't mean it but perhaps it made me feel better for a minute to vent. Big deal.

Slow news day.

i know! i have done the 'i will never shop here again!' rant. but guess where i was a week later? yup same place LOL.
  • Reply 71 of 150
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but were you standing behind him in line when this happened? So you don't know if this account is factual or not? You're basing this off an AI article quoting a Japanese tabloid.

None of us no how Steve Jobs actually reacted.

Oh and by the way, I hear Elvis is still alive and married to a Sasquatch, and recently had twin Martian babies.
  • Reply 72 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The airport security guys don't actually have the right to search people going through the airport.

Technically, that may be correct though I don't know about Japanese law and suspect you don't, either. More to the point, you don't have a right to board an airplane unless security clears you to do so. I'm guessing a refusal to be searched isn't going to allow you through security.
  • Reply 73 of 150
    Steve will send the apple ninjas to japan to f**k up the place.
  • Reply 74 of 150
    Comment removed.
  • Reply 75 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Having grown up in the UK in the 70's and 80's when the IRA were blowing things up left right and centre, I'm well aware of the fact that terrorism didn't start with 9/11. I'm also aware of the fact that airport security has been in place for years. The fact that it was incredibly weak in the US upto 9/11 is neither here nor there. Surely the fact that there was as you say, more planes being hijacked and blown up in the 70's is to suggest that the additional security is working?

I don't want to get into a big debate about this but "airport security" in the 70's didn't involve strip searches and loss of liberty. It was basically just a search for fruit and parakeets in your luggage. What they do now is technically illegal in most countries as I said.

It's also worth considering that searches at airports actually *don't* contribute to your safety. There are many reports, (even from the agencies responsible for initiating and controlling these searches in the USA), that indicate rather strongly that they add practically zero to the security of the citizenry. They are done because it's necessary to "look like they are doing something." This is not some conspiracy theory, it's a fact. They make people feel better, and they make the various government agencies look better. That's why they are done.

The only proper response to terrorism and the only thing that actually works (and you should be aware of this if you are from the UK), is talking to the terrorists and eventually addressing their grievances, which are more often than not, quite real, mostly rational, and justified. But no one really wants to hear that. Logic really has little to do with these kind of things.

Anyway, didn't mean to really offend anyone, and not interested in a big debate about this stuff which I know I can't win anyway. So last word from me.
  • Reply 76 of 150
    Bull.
  • Reply 77 of 150
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bull.

Kobe
  • Reply 78 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't want to get into a big debate about this but "airport security" in the 70's didn't involve strip searches and loss of liberty. It was basically just a search for fruit and parakeets in your luggage. What they do now is technically illegal in most countries as I said.

It's also worth considering that searches at airports actually *don't* contribute to your safety. There are many reports, (even from the agencies responsible for initiating and controlling these searches in the USA), that indicate rather strongly that they add practically zero to the security of the citizenry. They are done because it's necessary to "look like they are doing something." This is not some conspiracy theory, it's a fact. They make people feel better, and they make the various government agencies look better. That's why they are done.

The only proper response to terrorism and the only thing that actually works (and you should be aware of this if you are from the UK), is talking to the terrorists and eventually addressing their grievances, which are more often than not, quite real, mostly rational, and justified. But no one really wants to hear that. Logic really has little to do with these kind of things.

Anyway, didn't mean to really offend anyone, and not interested in a big debate about this stuff which I know I can't win anyway. So last word from me.

There is actually very little you say above that I disagree with. I do think that some of the security is going too far, for example these extremely invasive x-ray scanners that they are looking to have us walk through - that's really going over the line. That said, I don't have any problem with bags being scanned and having to walk through a metal detector, and I suspect most other people don't either. Where I do have a problem (and this is not confined to airports) is any suggestions that the rules, whether we agree with those rules or not, are selectively enforced depending on how rich you are.

As for your comment on the proper response to terrorism, you are 100% correct. The IRA situation only calmed down when we became prepared to talk to them and find a solution we could all live with. Whilst there are always going to be some real fringe elements who can't be reasoned with and who will look to fight to the death, the majority of extremists aren't that extreme.

It's been nice to have a polite disagreement of opinion though - rare on this board.
  • Reply 79 of 150
    Quote:

Kobe

Ah, Japan.

Dinner with Kobe beef and sake.

Or sushi and sake.

Or tempura with sake.

But always sake.

Then on to the Karaoke bar with a lot more sake until the wee hours.

Then on to the steam chamber to sweat it all out.

Then on to the massage.

Then to bed for a few hours sleep.

Then up at "zero dark thirty" to be on time for the company exercise in full suit and tie.

Then on to meetings, greeting and more meetings.

Repeat as necessary.
  • Reply 80 of 150
    Quote:

Anyway, more importantly is why was Jobs in Japan? Was he visiting NTT DoCoMo, the carrier that can use that 5th and undocumented UMTS band in the iPhone 4. Let?s get it on!

According to the UMTS frequency bands list, the 800 MHz "Band VI" is simply a subset of the 850 MHz "Band V" band, in uplink frequency, downlink frequency, and both uplink and downlink UARFCN channel numbers. It's likely something in software allows the "fifth band" to be discerned by the iPhone. But the baseband hardware is technically only quad-band, as Steve claimed.

Why the 800 MHz band even exists, I don't know, but I'm guessing NTT DoCoMo wanted to save money in each baseband pressing on its carrier-branded phones.