iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17%

Comments

• Reply 261 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Android is rising because Apple is letting Android rise. Those numbers/or percentage will soon change once Apple goes multi-carriers (USA) in the future.

This is delusional thinking of the first order.Apple letting android rise?. Maybe it should let windows mobile os also rise (sarcasm). Apple is not letting anything. Android is rising cause google put work into it. If it was a crappy phone OS, it would not be rising. This is really a battle apple cannot win (and probably should not). Apple goal is revenue, not to be #1. If they wanted to be #1, they would drop their prices in computers, iphone, ipods, etc.
  • Reply 262 of 360
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Except that your statement was incorrect. There are things that both the iPhone and Android have that are unique or sufficiently unique to make coding it on the other platform annoying. It is easier to develop more elegant working apps on iOS than Android IMHO.

So if you believe that "there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device" I would question your tech savvy categorization. Sure it is possible if you ignore budget and schedule constraints but less true in terms of actual execution.

And no, I'm not a huge fan of Sense.

BUT i have owned BOTH phones with both OSes. I have had an iPhone 3G then 3GS then iPhone 4 and now I have a HTC EVO. There is nothing functionally that that my iPhone could do that my EVO cannot do..........budget and schedule constraints have nothing to do with my using the phones....
  • Reply 263 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Good job, Android. You are nearly able to catch up with iPhone's market share (oops, not yet) by a gazillion of devices.

How fair it is!

Apple can always license IOS, they can always license itunes to work with other devices.. this is hilarious. Fair?. Yeah, every other company is supposed to lie down and let apple walk all over them.. you apple guys are funny (and this is coming from a guy who only buys apple computers)... you are very hilarious.. no, it's not unfair, it's called competition.. you know, where some people get rich and others get poor.. where some companies execute a strategy that gets them ahead... i am sure a dictionary can give better definition of capitalism.. you wnat fair, emigrate to the soviet union.
  • Reply 264 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Android's rise is temporary. Microsoft will take a bit away from Android. RIM will eventually come around with decent hardware (i.e. Storm 3 this winter) and Nokia will break into America. WebOS may make a dent too but we'll see if HP let's it die on the vine.

Why is it apple fans assume that iphone market share cannot drop?. I happen to know people who left iphones for other phones that were not android. I know, i know.. shocking!!!. If windows rises, it will also take market share away from iphones. If it's that much superior to android, then it will be superior to iphone also. to me, the HTC EVO is still better than iphone, even though apple released afterwards and had all competitive info.. you would think they would leapfrog the EVO..
  • Reply 265 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I disagree...the tech savvy know that there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device.

I have owned both the iPhone 4 and an HTC EVO. They both have great qualities! But the EVO in my humble opinion blows the iPhone away. I am NOT an Apple hater by any means I have in my house right now 2 iPhone 3Gs, 2 iMacs and Macbook Pro and an iPad so I am an Apple supporter through my purchasing decisions. I wonder how many people that are slamming Android phones have ever actually owned one!

Watch this video about HTC Sense and tell me it does not blow you away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kax24GN1458

There is so much customizing you can do from every aspect from the HTC Sense overlay to custom ROMS that Apple cannot compete with......

I watched that video, twice, and am quite impressed!

I like the user-centric customization capability.

The scenes make sense (pun), for a user on the go)

I really like the reflow of zoomed text to match the size of the display.

That said, I have some comments and questions.

It appears that the user-centric customization is limited to a few Android and/or HTC-supplied apps (contacts, mail, SMS, browser, FaceBook, Flickr, etc.):

-- Are these Android or HTC supplied apps?

-- can you integrate other apps, especially 3rd-party apps like a twitter client, notes, collaborative apps?

-- Is this capability available on any other/all HTC Android phones?

Sense, ingeneral:

-- Sense is a skin, and as such it fragments the Android UX (although in a good way)

-- What versions on Android are required/supported?

-- Does Sense run on all models of HTC phones, and to what extent?

-- Does Sense have any effect on performance, data usage or battery... it appears as if those apps are multitasking & preloading content?

-- How difficult is it to customize sense... are there helpers?

-- Is the customization carried forward through updates of the Sense skin?

-- Is the customization carried forward through updates of Android?

-- Does Sense or Android provide any APis for developers to integrate their apps?

-- It appears that Sense is independent of the underlying OS... is, say, a win version coming?

-- If so, will you be able to port your Sense environment across platforms?

It is admirable what HTC has done here. Other than Palm, this is the first UEX, I've seen, that could challenge the iPhone.

The iPhone has some SDK-level constructs that support inter-app communication (notifications, etc). But, without JailBraking (or an Apple implementation) it would not be possible to Skin iOS with a Sense-like UI.

Even then, 3rd-party apps would need to do some extra work, conform to some protocols, implement some standard (minimum) features, etc... to take advantage of a Skin like Sense.

• Reply 266 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not that good, as carriers begin to block Google services, like search and navigation, from Android phones.

Actually it's a pretty good strategy since most carriers haven't chosen to do this and the phones that have blocked Google services haven't exactly been world beaters. The strategy actually makes a lot of sense, and Google has had little difficulty reaching consumers on Android.
  • Reply 267 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

He said nothing remotely like that. HTH.

Watching your comments-- your purpose here appears to be to irritate as many and as much as possible.

It is hard to decide which type of troll you are: a picador; or a Chihuahua.

• Reply 268 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

What strikes me as odd is how many people here bash android for the sake of bashing it. I'll admit that I'm not an Apple fan nor part of their target market. While I do develop for ios, I don't actually own any ios devices. When I need to test my app, I borrow a friends device. I am an Android fan. I love the os and its ties with all my other Google products.

That being said, some of you fanboys need to tone it down a little. When people come to you for advice comparing Android to iPhone there tends to be more bashing than helping. The cynicism is daunting and a turn off. It makes the product seem geared for a-holes and snobs. Feature for feature, the iphone vs an android phone are pretty comparable for most people. But when you spend so much time bashing the competition, you accidently make your favorite products seem inferior. You fail to assess and address the customer's needs.

Excellent point.

Quote:

Now I'm not saying there aren't a fair share of android fans who are ios bashers. They're equally annoying and just as cynical, but their voices aren't as loud as a slew of apple fanboys. Go to an Android forum asking the same comparison, and you'll get a plethora of people trying to figure out what the customer wants and needs are and try to match them, even if their suggestions are a little bias. However, I've seen more than a few post end with recommendations for iphone than android.

Before you guys slam me with a "this is an Apple site," remember, this is where people are coming to help them make an informed decision. If they see more bashing than helping, they're going to assume that other Apple sites are like that as well. Our phones and their manufactures are not politicians. We don't need smear campaigns. Not smearing is one of the reasons I think Apple has been effective at keeping the lead, and one of the reasons I think people got turned off with their antenna portion of their website. Smearing isn't really apple's forte. But if you diehards keep crying only negatives about the almost unrelated competition, then you're only going to hurt the company/product you're crying for.

Also a good point! The problem is that this site also attracts a lot of trolls whose purpose seems to be to muddy the water, irritate, and prevent thoughtful discussion.

You can usually (but not always) identify these people pretty easily-- If a poster is overly critical, , on every side of every issue, condescending, flippant, disruptive:

-- look at his join date and number of posts

-- lots of posts by a recent member are a sign that the member may have an agenda

-- review the suspect member's posts... you can usually detect a pattern

Often, you will see several trolls operate as a tag team.

Quote:

Be proactive and push benefits, not who's features are better. Instead of telling people everything YOU think is wrong with Android, ask them something like "Why do you think you need a smartphone?" And "Have you ever used a smartphone before?" Then push ios on them by matching these concerns. For instance, I wouldn't tell a feature phone user to switch to Android because the learning curve is too steep. But I also wouldn't tell a crackberry user to switch to the iphone because the complication withdrawal curve is too steep (they're already used to a complicated os). Different users, different products.

Currently, I'm recommending ipads to substitute PCs for people who don't need, nor want to pay, for a complicated computer and os, be it windows, os x, or linux. Multitasking and printing are hurdles but Apple is trying to take care of that. And as soon as Apple works CUPS support into the ipad, gumstix, linux, and CUPS will substitute the needed pc to act as a print server (technically, it'll still exist but in a much smaller form factor). All that's left is bluetooth mouse support for greater precision.

But do you get my point? Market share means nothing if you can pair peoples' needs and wants to a specific product. And it really is useless if you can pair it with your favorite product. Market share is just what we in business use as a measuring stick for our shareholders. We can define the market any way we want as long as we're making profit.

I agree!

• Reply 269 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Google has some very clever people. Their solution to the web-search problem was pure genius.

The problem with Google was how they chose to monetize that genius.

When they decided on using advertising and only advertising as their business model I think they took a big step towards the dark side.

Apple makes stuff, and earns profits when customers buy it. I think that is honest and transparent.

Google gives away stuff to create a honey trap, and then sells the collected users on to advertisers.

Both are valid business models. But I think we should remember that Google's first loyalty will always be to their paying customers; the advertisers.

I'd be much less suspicious of them as a company if they just charged for stuff.

C.

I can't find the exact quote (or attribution), but it goes something like this:

If the customer gets something [for] free, he should realize that he is the product being sold!

• Reply 270 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

The mobile carriers, at this point, can do a great deal to expand their capabilities and better deal with the bandwidth requirements their networks are currently subject to (be it improving their current networks, working toward future standards, or a combination of those things). We are not yet to a point where the law of physics is the roadblock.

I'm fairly surprised I have to explain this. Google generate its revenue through advertising and its services. Advertising primarily. Google recognizes, appropriately enough, that mobile is where the internet and multimedia consumption is headed, and it is of vital important to their company that they establish themselves in this market before it gets ahead of them. Or more to the point, that they establish themselves as a dominant force on this platform before a potential competitor makes that more challenging. (Google is definitely at the top of their game in this arena).

Every Android customer using Google services is a product which can be sold to other companies. Their information, their eyes, their money. Google searches and Google ads especially, but other Google services play into this as well. By establishing themselves as a strong player in the mobile phone arena they are able to create their own platform for the propagation of their business' primary revenue-producing products.

Android is free and available because that gives Google a competitive edge over other would-be competitors in the market (e.g. Microsoft). Why? Because Google doesn't care about profit from Android in terms of licensing. They care about profits that they might derive from Android users using those devices. Microsoft, by contrast, will seek to make money through licensing and their software products (e.g. Office). Similarities in other areas include iTunes, which is designed more to add value to Apple platforms than to be independently profitable, or an ink jet printer sold at a loss in hopes of recouping great profit through the sale of ink supplies.

And this should come as a surprise to nobody. This is Google's business model over and over again, and it works. They release highly competitive products which are freely available to the consumer (any relation to them being the actual product and a cost associated with that aside) and make money not from licensing that product, but rather by monetizing it in other ways (usually advertising).

Every Android customer using Google services is a product which can be sold to other companies.

I don't like being treated as a product (without my permission). That's why I am systematically cutting back on use of Google services.

• Reply 271 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post
    Rule #36 .... from "Trolling Techniques" from (insert name of company here)

Remember: ..... Always, always, always, when slamming Apple, be sure to include this phrase, or a similar one .... "Now, I'm not anti-Apple, in fact, in my house I have 27 iMacs, 36 iPods, 14 iPads, 11 iPhones and several thousand of $$$$ worth of beloved Apple accessories. ... and, oh yeah, one of those Apple TV thingys.

... and be sure to add: I was on the Homestead High School swim team with Steve Jobs, and saved him from drowning... several times... in the winter... ... in the cafeteria...

• Reply 272 of 360
    I hope we get more stories of the ascendance of Android's market share that seals Apple's fate. Also, Carol Bartz sounding off more often about why/how Apple is doomed.

AAPL up $6.35 today. Love it.

(If you see a variant of this post in another thread, it's on purpose).
  • Reply 273 of 360
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think the "issues" you mention have anything to do with this. It's due to a) iPhone being only on AT&T, and b) carrier desire for reclaiming control of what the phones do, which Android allows them to do.

Maybe my blood sugar is too low .... but I really can't think of any specific controls the carriers desire. Please satisfy my curiosity and enlighten me.
  • Reply 274 of 360
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

BUT i have owned BOTH phones with both OSes. I have had an iPhone 3G then 3GS then iPhone 4 and now I have a HTC EVO. There is nothing functionally that that my iPhone could do that my EVO cannot do..........budget and schedule constraints have nothing to do with my using the phones....

From the standpoint of today there are still apps on the iPhone for which there isn't an Android equivalent in terms of quality. iMovie is one example. Enterprise support another. There are major game titles from major game studios on the iPhone that are not on Android. So yes, there are things that an iPhone can do that an EVO cannot. Even in terms of hardware. The iPhone 4 supports 802.11N and the Evo does not. The iPhone has a higher resolution display than the EVO. Android SDK doesn't currently support HDR (apps can't control camera exposure) but the iPhone 4 does provide HDR (dunno about the SDK).

You may not use those features but they exist, other folks use them and are things the EVO can not do. Likewise there are things the EVO can do that the iPhone 4 cannot.

Why aren't there as many apps of equivalent quality in some categories in the market vs app store? Because of budget and schedule constraints of developing those apps to the same level of quality. I can get to the same level of functionality as the iOS team in the same amount or less time but it seems I have to spend a lot more time tweaking the UI and flow to get the same level of refinement.

That and Apple inspires a little more attention to UI details as a platform than Android does.
  • Reply 275 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

... Point 4. People compare an iPhone and an Android phone, and for them, the Android is a better choice, and that is what they buy, not because they are irrational (hardcore fan), cheap or stupid, but because they make a reasoned, informed choice.

Sorry, but imaginary customers don't actually purchase phones.
  • Reply 276 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

Actually it's a pretty good strategy since most carriers haven't chosen to do this and the phones that have blocked Google services haven't exactly been world beaters.

Oh, they're just getting started. The Chinese, for example, are cutting Google entirely out of the loop with their own fork of Android. How long do you think a single Android is going to last even in this country? Who needs the Android marketplace when you can create your own app store.
  • Reply 277 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Maybe my blood sugar is too low .... but I really can't think of any specific controls the carriers desire. Please satisfy my curiosity and enlighten me.

Control where you buy your apps, what services you access, etc., etc., etc. You know, like the good old days, when they made money off all that.
  • Reply 278 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So the iPod is for the sophisticated and the iPhone is for the unrefined?

Note there was a definite drop in compatibility when the iPhone was first launched BECAUSE it was using a new version of OS X, not the iPod OS, so you’d be arguing that the compatibility only returned for the iPod Touch, not for the iPhone.

It has nothing to do with sophisticated or not. Just the sheer number of iPods vs iPhones. Btw all money in the world and a thousand luxury/sports cars does not make a person sophisticated nor does what phone one owns.
  • Reply 279 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... and be sure to add: I was on the Homestead High School swim team with Steve Jobs, and saved him from drowning... several times... in the winter... ... in the cafeteria...

How, exactly, does one drown in a school cafeteria?
  • Reply 280 of 360
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Every Android customer using Google services is a product which can be sold to other companies.

I don't like being treated as a product (without my permission). That's why I am systematically cutting back on use of Google services.

Guess what?

Every AI Poster using this forum is a product which can be sold to other companies.

Just in case you didn't realize.