iOS 4.2 packs new, improved YouTube, FaceTime features and more

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's forthcoming iOS 4.2 update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch includes a number of subtle improvements that have not yet been publicized, including expanded features for YouTube and FaceTime. AppleInsider offers a closer look.

Set for release in November, the biggest changes in iOS 4.2 come for iPad owners, who will finally see their touchscreen tablet upgraded to iOS 4 with new features like multitasking and folders. All iOS device owners will also gain printing capabilities via AirPrint.

Further time spent with the first beta of iOS 4.2 has revealed a number of other features coming to device owners this fall.

YouTube voting

The built-in YouTube application now features the ability to rank videos. Like on the website itself, iOS users can now give a virtual "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" to content on the site.

While the YouTube application on the iPhone has stayed mostly the same since the device launched in 2007, Google this summer revamped its mobile site, allowing users to access more features in its HTML5-based website at m.youtube.com.

Apple's latest addition to the YouTube application brings a feature that has existed on the full and mobile versions of the site to the standalone iOS application.

FaceTime link in Messages app

Accessibility to FaceTime will become even greater in iOS 4.2, as a direct video chat link is now included in the iPhone's built-in text messaging application. When in a conversation in the Messages app, a "FaceTime" button now rests in between the "Call" and "Contact Info" selections.

Support for CoreMIDI

The first beta of iOS 4.2 adds support for the CoreMIDI framework to the operating system's application program interfaces. This could suggest that future applications would allow new avenues for musical creation, and could also allow physical MIDI instruments connectors.

MIDI, or Musical Instrument Digital Interface, is an industry standard that allows electronic music machines to synchronize and communicate. With an adapter, a device like an iPhone could theoretically create and record sounds from a MIDI instrument.

New restrictions

Apple has also added a handful of new restrictions in the Settings application. Users can now prevent the deleting of App Store software, and may prevent changes to accounts in the Mail application.

iTunes link in iPad Videos app

Users can quickly find more content on iTunes with a new direct link within the iPad's Videos application. When viewing a list of TV episodes on the device, users are now presented with the option to find more episodes of that program through the iTunes store.

Issues

Of course, being an early beta, iOS 4.2 is not yet ready for public use, as the software still has many bugs and issues that must be addressed before the November launch. Because of bugs and issues, Apple has reportedly recommended to its developers that they only install the iOS 4.2 beta on devices that will be used exclusively to test the software.

The biggest problems are said to lie with the baseband on the iPhone when running the first beta. Calls sometimes do not connect, and text messages can take a great deal of time to send.

People familiar with the first beta said it carries a number of known issues related to device activation and the Springboard home screen, which could cause restarts and crashes with the software. It has also been documented that MobileMe e-mail is not currently pushed to devices.

In addition, some features like AirPlay and AirPrint are not yet completed. As such, their performance in the beta software is said to be understandably spotty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    "The first beta of iOS 4.2 adds support for the CoreMIDI framework to the operating system's application program interfaces. This could suggest that future applications would allow new avenues for musical creation, and could also allow physical MIDI instruments connectors.

MIDI, or Musical Instrument Digital Interface, is an industry standard that allows electronic music machines to synchronize and communicate. With an adapter, a device like an iPhone could theoretically create and record sounds from a MIDI instrument."

Looking forward with this part of the update.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Plus you need the beta 10.6.5 update as well. I don't mind putting some betas on my system, but not the entire OS and an entire mobile OS.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Thanks for keeping us updated on the little changes!

In most Apple OS releases, all the little improvements, taken together, add up to as much as any of the big headline features. It?s that ongoing attention to detail that makes OS X and iOS great.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I'd like to see a lighter weight text message app. I have a 3GS now, but on my 3G that would lag like crazy from 2.0 on up. There's still a slight delay on my 3GS with ios4 when it's not in the multitasking tray. It's not a video game I'm loading, it's text messages! I like that it's pretty, but come on!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    As reported by TUAW, iOS 4.2b1 also now lists iProd2,1 with product ID 4765 as AppleTV2,1. I wonder what avenue some will now take to state that the AppleTV is not based iOS (sans CocoaTouch UI) as most were predicting.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Plus you need the beta 10.6.5 update as well. I don't mind putting some betas on my system, but not the entire OS and an entire mobile OS.

You only need the 10.6.5 beta if you intend to use your Mac as an AirPrint server. I installed 4.2 on my iPad last night and I'm still running 10.6.4 on my Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The biggest problems are said to lie with the baseband on the iPhone. Calls sometimes do not connect

So basically, the iPhone has been in beta since 2007. Got it.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

<Yawn>

the coremidi is not yawn, it could kill the tenori-on which costs more than an ipad on itz own..
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post

You only need the 10.6.5 beta if you intend to use your Mac as an AirPrint server. I installed 4.2 on my iPad last night and I'm still running 10.6.4 on my Mac.

My mistake. Sorry.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

the coremidi is not yawn, it could kill the tenori-on which costs more than an ipad on itz own..

It looks very interesting. But I don't ever expect much to plug into the proprietary connector that Apple uses. So far, the offerings are pretty paltry.

Maybe this time around things will be different.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Probably the wrong place for this

But it would be great if somehow in YouTube there would be something where voting really meant something.

Take for example if a singer or performer could do his own song. A new group can play their very own song. But they would have to deposit something in order to receive votes on there performance. At the end of a month or whatever. The winner or winners keep something.

Look at how many American Idols, or Americas Got Talent Wannabes would put some money out.

Perhaps a new Michael Grimm or Daughtry are just waiting for an opportunity.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

My mistake. Sorry.

There?s no need to apologize here. Adding this only to offer that Apple is providing a link to the 10.6.5 beta and relevant Seed Notes to iPhone devs in the iOS SDK beta section of the iOS portal - iOS devs don?t need to be enrolled in the MacOS dev program to DL the current 10.6.5 beta seed. Do read the Seed Notes.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Have they added improved parental controls for iPad? iPad is not an individual devices, but an household device. It is not strictly about guarding your kids, but improved use of the device. Here is my wishlist

1. The Mail client should support not just multiple Inbox, but it should be broken down by multiple users of my iPad. I honor my son's privacy, at the same time I want him to do the same. Either add support for configuring e-mail inbox by users or allow a way for me to disconnect and prompt for password when opening a mailbox.

2. Contents with ratings should be honored and I should be able to assign different ratings per user. What my middle-schooler can watch, listen, plan, and read is different than my elementary-schooler. I need a way to control that and have it assigned to that. This will also allow me to know how long are then on that account

Basically, bring down some of the Mac OS X user stuff down to iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Have they added improved parental controls for iPad? iPad is not an individual devices, but an household device. It is not strictly about guarding your kids, but improved use of the device. Here is my wishlist

1. The Mail client should support not just multiple Inbox, but it should be broken down by multiple users of my iPad. I honor my son's privacy, at the same time I want him to do the same. Either add support for configuring e-mail inbox by users or allow a way for me to disconnect and prompt for password when opening a mailbox.

2. Contents with ratings should be honored and I should be able to assign different ratings per user. What my middle-schooler can watch, listen, plan, and read is different than my elementary-schooler. I need a way to control that and have it assigned to that. This will also allow me to know how long are then on that account

Basically, bring down some of the Mac OS X user stuff down to iPad.

User accounts on iOS for iPad would be awesome, even if it was limited to only a handful of accounts with a single master account that regulated the amount of space and options.

I?d also love to see a Guest account option for all iOS-based iDevices. I let people use my iPhone from time-to-time but I hate what people could do to my device or see on it.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

User accounts on iOS for iPad would be awesome, even if it was limited to only a handful of accounts with a single master account that regulated the amount of space and options.

I?d also love to see a Guest account option for all iOS-based iDevices. I let people use my iPhone from time-to-time but I hate what people could do to my device or see on it.

Ditto. Accounts would be brilliant. More-so for the iPad, in my opinion, which feels more like a computer than an iPhone does.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will it be able to sync notes and tasks with an Exchange server? If Apple is going to claim ActiveSync support, then they should support all available ActiveSync features.

How about displaying a persistent "ringer off" icon in the status bar when the ringer switch is moved to the Off position?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Ever since google launched the HTML5 version of Youtube I find myself using it almost exclusively over the app. I am happy that Apple is working on improving it's capabilities, but adding thumbs up is not gonna make me use the app over the mobile site.

I would really like to see improvement to the maps app like the ability to go landscape, street view and turn by turn directions. That would be awesome.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    CoreMIDI could really be fantastic. Lighter weight apps thanks to MIDI controlled synthesis (instead of audio files), MIDI controlled interactions with external devices, including synths, lighting rigs... basically anything capable of MIDI in/out. The MIDImind boggles.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the YouTube application on the iPhone has stayed mostly the same since the device launched in 2007, Google this summer revamped its mobile site, allowing users to access more features in its HTML5-based website at m.youtube.com.

This begs the question: Do we actually need a YouTube app any more?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

This begs the question: Do we actually need a YouTube app any more?

Did we ever? *ducks*

I have nothing against you tube, I just don't care for it.