Apple planning standalone digital newsstand app for iPad - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is what I’ve been wanting since before the iPad arrived. I want my newspaper and periodical subscriptions to be pushed to my iPad and ready to read when I pick it up.

[edit: I realized I was replying to an old troll under a new alias]
  • Reply 22 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I can almost hear the Google programmers rushing to their work stations to start creating this for Android ...
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

How does this differ from any magazine subscription model?

Sound like Apple just want to put an i in front of another word and call it innovative?

Where is Time Magazine, Golf Digest etc and how and why is this new News Rag model any different from what they already haven't accomplished.

iDon't want 50 apps for what "I" can get for free right now on the internet.

i guess I just read it differently.

another nonsensical troll. moving along..

I'm very much looking forward to a magazine/newspaper store, especially if it allows for local editions. having separate apps for different magazines, or even issues, is sloppy. being able to annotate and sync up with other devices will be great. this and video chat are by far my top two wishes for the iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:

How does this differ from any magazine subscription model?

Sound like Apple just want to put an i in front of another word and call it innovative?

Where is Time Magazine, Golf Digest etc and how and why is this new News Rag model any different from what they already haven't accomplished.

iDon't want 50 apps for what "I" can get for free right now on the internet.

i guess I just read it differently.

Totally agree. Apple needs to raise the bar if they want people to give up their magazines and newspapers and buy iPads. They must offer something better than the paper experience if they expect people to plunk down five hundred bucks or more for an e-reader.

If the iPad is going to "save journalism" then Apple had better get moving. It's been long enough for the revolution to begin.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Give the publishers my information I really do not care. As long as it is used to focus ads within the publication it doesn't bother me. As long as I don't start getting email ads give em my age and gender and get this deal done. I, like many others, have been wanting this since day 1 and feel it could be another major thing that separates the ipad from the other devices set to come out. get it done apple.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    I'd like to see an app that I can open And buy the daily paper for a quarter or fifty cents. I might even do that most days. Give me subscription options too and I'll be in heaven.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Give the publishers my information I really do not care. As long as it is used to focus ads within the publication it doesn't bother me. As long as I don't start getting email ads give em my age and gender and get this deal done. I, like many others, have been wanting this since day 1 and feel it could be another major thing that separates the ipad from the other devices set to come out. get it done apple.

If the information is limited to certain innocuous information it should be OK. For me that would be my gender and what state I am in. I would prefer they not have my name (the news app by apple would make that possible). I don't really look forward to the day where I am reading Wired and I get a custom "happy birthday" add.

Apple has my email address, my physical address, my phone number, my birth day, my credit card number, my ISP, my IP address, the MAC address of each device I own, knows every app I own, every song I own and probably more information that I haven't thought about. Could get scary if they just open the flood gates.

Maybe I am too paranoid.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't want the publishers to have my info. A lot of companies these days supplement their revenue or lower their prices by selling your info to advertisers. You can't even get a pizza delivered without increasing your telemarketer calls and spam. I don't mind just giving Apple my info and having them pay the publishers. Apple do send me spam sometimes but they are mostly respectful of privacy.

But this may be changing now that they have iAd. Notice how there is not a simple switch in iTunes preferences to disable iAd tracking on all your devices - there is a website you have to go to on each one.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:

BS, Apple screwed the music industry and the movie and publishing industry have learned never to give 1 company that much power again.

Apple to the Movie or Publishing industry is just another WalMart to sell their widgets.

I would love to hear how Apple has screwed the Music industry. The Recording companies make somewhere around $0.60 per $0.99 song. Apple gets about $0.24 and the rest goes to the artist. Last time I checked, it seems like the Record Companies are making the most out of that deal. So, I guess someone with a degree in Fuzzy Mathematics is going to have to explain that one to me.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

As long as it not called "Newsstand" then I welcome it. That double "S" looks messy.

Then they can use double S glyph for that.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Publishers don't need my information. Why would Apple let them have that data? When people pick up magazines and newspapers from news stands and order them from local delivery services (the paper boy) the only thing they collect is cash. I suppose that delivery people could forward the information that they either deliver to houses or apartments.

When I subscribe to magazines (haven't done that in years) I would check the box on the self addressed business envelope and then send them a check and nothing more. I'm for privacy and wish there were an electronic data privacy act where no company could keep data about us without our annual consent.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

As with so many other subscription services on the iPad, the price must be right for the service to be a success and worthwhile to the consumer.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Next, maybe you can tell us how if people want to lose weight they should burn more calories than they intake.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I would love to get rid of the stack of printed magazines on my coffee table, and this could be the thing that gets me to jump on the bandwagon. But it's got to cost no more than the printed subscription price (ie, not news stand price) and ideally I'd be able to print. And I can't imagine the publishers could make a valid argument to disallow that...they'd make an argument, but it wouldn't be valid because I already get a printed copy that I can do all kinds of things with that I wouldn't be able to do with an electronic copy...all of them perfectly legal and within my rights.

My main problem is the pricing per issue. Sure, Zinio has had some great offers for annual subscription, but I want $0.99 or at most $1.99 per issue if I'm going to buy individual issues. I don't read so much anyways nowadays, though iPad is a great digital magazine reader, can't imagine Kindle or Nook being useful for magazines with colour content. Part of what I like magazines as opposed to books is teh purty pictarz, and the typography, layout and infographics.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:

BS, Apple screwed the music industry and the movie and publishing industry have learned never to give 1 company that much power again.

Apple to the Movie or Publishing industry is just another WalMart to sell their widgets.

Apple saved the music industry, that's quite clear by now.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Give the publishers my information I really do not care. As long as it is used to focus ads within the publication it doesn't bother me. As long as I don't start getting email ads give em my age and gender and get this deal done.

Thankfully, at least from this very small sample, you are in the minority.

Why on earth do you think they would stop at age and gender? That's beyond naive, that's a joke.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

I would prefer they not have my name (the news app by apple would make that possible). I don't really look forward to the day where I am reading Wired and I get a custom "happy birthday" add.

Apple has my email address, my physical address, my phone number, my birth day, my credit card number, my ISP, my IP address, the MAC address of each device I own, knows every app I own, every song I own and probably more information that I haven't thought about. Could get scary if they just open the flood gates.

Maybe I am too paranoid.

You are not too paranoid. And if you think Apple has your number, look at Google. Unless you take obscene measures, they know every search you've ever made, where and when and what. And because they also place ads on millions of other web sites, they know when and what sites you're visiting even when you're not doing searches. They probably know what ailments you have, who your doctor is, your shoe size, what kind of car you drive, who you voted for, what church you attend (or don't). They probably know the name of your significant other, if you have one, who your kids (or parents) are and where they go to school (or work). This doesn't even count gmail users! Apple is scary, but Google is REALLY SCARY.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't want the publishers to have my info. A lot of companies these days supplement their revenue or lower their prices by selling your info to advertisers. You can't even get a pizza delivered without increasing your telemarketer calls and spam. I don't mind just giving Apple my info and having them pay the publishers. Apple do send me spam sometimes but they are mostly respectful of privacy.

But this may be changing now that they have iAd. Notice how there is not a simple switch in iTunes preferences to disable iAd tracking on all your devices - there is a website you have to go to on each one.

Yup. Apple seems to be a relatively "good guy" right now, but young folks and people with short memories fail to think about the long run. Every company changes management, and every company changes it's philosophies along the way. This much personal information in one place is unprecedented in the history of the world. Hell, the KGB and CIA combined didn't used to have this kind of information available to them, and now it's in totally unregulated hands because people are freely giving it out without giving it any thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Publishers don't need my information. Why would Apple let them have that data? When people pick up magazines and newspapers from news stands and order them from local delivery services (the paper boy) the only thing they collect is cash. I suppose that delivery people could forward the information that they either deliver to houses or apartments.

When I subscribe to magazines (haven't done that in years) I would check the box on the self addressed business envelope and then send them a check and nothing more. I'm for privacy and wish there were an electronic data privacy act where no company could keep data about us without our annual consent.

Totally agree. Good luck pushing that kind of legislation through though, with the insane amounts of marketing $ that would fight it. The only chance it has is if a powerful legislator finds their (or their kid's) personal information misappropriated and gets a bee in his/her bonnet.

In any case, chalk me up with the majority (here, so far), as someone who will NEVER sign up for something like this if Apple gives away my personal info - even just a name/city - to the publishers.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Following up along this line, one thing I recommend most people consider:

Get an iTunes gift card, pay cash for it. Then open an iTunes account with this card and a new, single-purpose webmail account. It's a little tricky IIRC, but if you do it correctly (I know for a fact you could do this several months ago - I did it), you can open an account without a credit card or any other (verified) personal information. This allows you to legitimately purchase music and apps without divulging any personal info for them to use/misuse/abuse, give away or sell.

This also gives you the peace of mind knowing that even if another scammer in China figures out how to tap into iTunes accounts and steal from users' credit cards again, you'll be safe. All you'll ever have at risk is the $15 or $25 that you keep in that account.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple saved the music industry, that's quite clear by now.

Oh really? The music business was going to fail? The people of the earth were going to stop listening to music?

Let's get some perspective here Apple worshippers. All Apple did was give people an alternative way to buy music. Now instead of going to Tower Record, or Virgin or Sam Goody, idiot teenagers with disposable income could get the latest pop or rap crap without ever leaving the house.

The music business was in trouble because it was selling garbage. Things are better now with real artists like Lady Ga Ga.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I'd like to see an app that I can open And buy the daily paper for a quarter or fifty cents. I might even do that most days. Give me subscription options too and I'll be in heaven.

I go to the Boston Globe website and get the daily paper for free. But usually, I go to Google News and get 4,000 or so newspapers for free.

I read different papers for different topics; each has its strengths. I read the Globe for local news. I read the NYT and the WSJ for financial news. I read both the Jerusalem Post and Al Jazeera for mideast news. I also like the NYT for tech news, and the San Jose Mercury News. I get opinion pieces from Time and Newsweek and other weekly slicks, for free.

The only time I'd buy a newspaper is to read over breakfast at the diner, but even then, I usually just pick up a free local weekly like the Boston Tab or the Boston Phoenix.

Good luck Apple!
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Hopefully this gets worked out, although I wouldn't count on it. Then again who would ever think that CD's would be old technology.

iTunes = music

iBooks = books

Logically...

iNews = newspapers
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:

I would say that Apple stopped the music industry from screwing customers. Having to buy a whole cd in order to get just the songs I want is bogus. Before iTunes store I had stopped buying music. Now I have a very long list of purchased songs from iTunes. IMix has shown me lots of music that I eventually bought.