Apple's relaxing of App Store rules has 'muted' effect on Adobe

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    ...see how far that gets you.



    The analogy under discussion is this one:



    "Whatever, a better analogy would be that Apple put a special gas cap on their car and you can only fill up with Apple petro at special Apple gas stations... And there is nothing different about Apple Gas... "



    To keep within the bounds of the analogy under discussion, putting in a different type of fuel would be like trying to install Google Maps Navigation on an iPhone.



    HTH.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


    The analogy under discussion is this one:



    "Whatever, a better analogy would be that Apple put a special gas cap on their car and you can only fill up with Apple petro at special Apple gas stations... And there is nothing different about Apple Gas... "



    To keep within the bounds of the analogy under discussion, putting in a different type of fuel would be like trying to install Google Maps Navigation on an iPhone.



    HTH.



    Except, of course, "gas" is a completely ridiculous analogy for "applications on a computer operating system."



    You might have a point if Apple insisted that their computers could only run on Apple branded electricity, but applications are analogous to features on a car. And guess what? I can't jam BMW parts into my Chevy, without voiding the warranty.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Except, of course, "gas" is a completely ridiculous analogy




    Given that it is not mine, I have no pride of authorship.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


    Much like third-party car stereo systems? We can riff on that too.



    And if your third party stereo shorted out the electrical system in your car, do you think the car manufacturer would fix it under warranty?
  • Reply 45 of 77
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post


    Wall Street is flushing (or Flashing) Adobe shares down the toilet. I remember the day that Apple said it would allow that Flash developer tools to be used on iOS, that freakin' Adobe stock shot way up. Some people warned that it was just a bubble that would pop quickly. I guess today is the day of the bubble pop. Too bad Flash can't be abolished from smartphones, but there are too many old schoolers that are scared to let it go. Oh, well. Today's a good a day as any to short Adobe down to the low $20 range. Let the vultures swoop in.



    I skimmed some article where the writer speculated that if ADBE got low enough, Google would

    acquire them.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I believe you are wrong on all accounts.



    I don't think you can name one computer brand that does not come with Flash.



    There is no other product that can come even close in features and performance of Flash.



    Regardless of whether a standards board has acknowledged it or not it is already on 99% of all computers used to surf the Internet.



    HTML 5 is not an approved standard and it does not run well on the most prevalent browser in the market.



    And no, we can't go on and on because that is all I have to say to you on this subject.



    Please, stop pretending that Flash is a standard. It's a proprietary technology and one computer it doesn't come on is the iPhone, and the iPad, and every other mobile computer except for a miniscule percentage where it apparently runs like crap, except for a few chery-picked demo sites.. It's not a standard, or even "standard". And, please, don't even try to tout the performance of Flash; it's crap, and it always has been, and always will be. HTML5 will run not only on the most prevalent browser in the market long before Flash runs on more than a few mobile computers, but it will be a standard, something Flash will never be.



    Flash had it's day, that day is gone, the rest of its history will simply record its decline, and eventual disappearance. HTML5, 6, 7, ... are the future.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


    Here you are again Newtron, spewing your BS. Apple wants the consumer to have a great experience. This has nothing to do with lock-in. It has a lot to do with flash being old tech crapware that doesn't work on mobile devices. Your ignorant rants are really tiresome. Who are you shilling for? Apple has opened its app store to programs like Netflix, Kindle ebooks, Pandora, and many other "competing" products so your idiotic claim of lock-in holds no truth. You need to improve your education.



    That is something I keep hearing, but after so many great-experience fart/burp/baby-shake apps and articles like http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=19681, it really makes me wonder.



    Or, maybe, it makes me stop wondering...
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


    That is something I keep hearing, but after so many great-experience fart/burp/baby-shake apps and articles like http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=19681, it really makes me wonder.



    Or, maybe, it makes me stop wondering...



    Sorry, but this nonsense has been totally debunked. The entire "test" was cooked to make Flash look good and HMTL5 bad by using totally inefficient code for the HTML5 test. Some quick optimizations done by people not involved in the original "test" fixed the HTML5 code and showed that the original "test" was pure bunk.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


    That is something I keep hearing, but after so many great-experience fart/burp/baby-shake apps and articles like http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=19681, it really makes me wonder.



    Or, maybe, it makes me stop wondering...



    From that article:



    "iPhone 4's HTML5 looks pathetic versus Android, even worse against Flash 10.1"
  • Reply 50 of 77
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Sorry, but this nonsense has been totally debunked. The entire "test" was cooked to make Flash look good and HMTL5 bad by using totally inefficient code for the HTML5 test. Some quick optimizations done by people not involved in the original "test" fixed the HTML5 code and showed that the original "test" was pure bunk.



    Any relevant link, please?



    I can accept that HTML5 code was crappy in order to make Flash look better (though I would like to see some in-depth reading on that topic first), but it still does not explain why that same crappy HTLM5 was running better on Android.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


    Any relevant link, please?



    I can accept that HTML5 code was crappy in order to make Flash look better (though I would like to see some in-depth reading on that topic first), but it still does not explain why that same crappy HTLM5 was running better on Android.



    http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/09/20/not-so-fast



    There you go.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    , the rest of its history will simply record its decline, and eventual disappearance. HTML5, 6, 7, ... are the future.



    Regardless that you cannot address even one of my points with any substantive logic, I agree with your conclusion, however, the future is yet to be. I'm a big proponent of the the future. So bring it on. When HTML can completely displace Flash I will be the first one to acclaim its merits. Until then you are just wishing that HTML couild match Flash feature for feature, which of course we both know it can't.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


    That is incorrect.

    The ownership of the phone passes to the buyer. The best that the vendor may retain is some sort of unperfected purchase-money security interest, but I doubt that they even have that.



    Try canceling your contract early and see how much money is left owing on your cellphone.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


    Given that it is not mine, I have no pride of authorship.



    If I consistently posted the same kind of crap that you do, I wouldn't have any pride either.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/09/20/not-so-fast



    There you go.



    Only 3 problems there:



    1. We do not know if Flash version can be further optimised or not

    2. 45 FPS is still below Flash performance (57? 59?)

    3. Flash aside, crappy HTML5 was significantly faster on Nexus, which is more important for me than Flash comparison. Wonder if this optimised version improves on Nexus as well.



    According to all that it seems to me Apple has put much more effort into their PR campaign than into actual effort to give their customers best possible experience. Which, in my eyes at least, negates OP's claim that Apple does everything for end users' experience.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


    From that article:



    "iPhone 4's HTML5 looks pathetic versus Android, even worse against Flash 10.1"





    Also from that article, that you conveniently forgot to mention, is:



    "What he found was that on the iPod Touch 4G (roughly identical hardware to the iPhone 4 sans 3G modem)"





    In other words, he tested an iPod Touch ( 50% less ram) against an android phone..... and then proceeded to slam the "iPhone 4's HTML5" based on his tests .... unbelievable. Is this guy your brother or something.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


    According to all that it seems to me Apple has put much more effort into their PR campaign than into actual effort to give their customers best possible experience. Which, in my eyes at least, negates OP's claim that Apple does everything for end users' experience.



    How old is Flash and how old is html 5? .... does a newborn baby walk like a teenager? Give me a break.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post


    Today's a good a day as any to short Adobe down to the low $20 range. Let the vultures swoop in.



    You could be right, BOTOH, their latest earnings report wasn't all that bad ... with Apple relaxing the rules, allowing back into the fold, so to speak ... and most importantly ...(Adobe Unveils Photoshop Elements 9 & Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Bundle for Windows and Mac) .. I see more reason to buy than to sell. Plus with today's 19% drop, I see less risk on the downside ... but let's face it .... nobody really can predict this crazy stock market, at the best of times. I bought some Adobe today (mid day @ 26.36) but hey, that could easily disappear tomorrow but my intention is to give it until the new year, unless there's a dramatic move before then. We'll see. Good luck to all, whichever way you choose.

    PS ... I may hate Flash but the new Photoshop Elements 9 & Adobe Premiere Elements 9 look pretty enticing to me, with the brief look I had at them, anyway.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Yeah... Flash is an "open" standard, HTML is a "closed" standard. Heard this one from Adobe before... still doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    How old is Flash and how old is html 5? .... does a newborn baby walk like a teenager? Give me a break.



    You realize that Mobile Flash is newer then HTML5 right? There are several cross-platform solutions for HTML like PhoneGap, so no need to rely on Mobile Flash.
Sign In or Register to comment.