Verizon CEO hopes Apple will offer iPhone for its 4G network

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by conecode View Post

If it wasn't for the crappy service at my house, I'd be fine with getting an AT&T iPhone, but because Verizon is the only carrier that reaches my home, I have to wait and hope.

my friend has the femtocell from att and he says its awesome
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I hope the Captivate is a complete flop for Verizon. If that happens, hopefully it will send Verizon a message. Sadly I think enough uninformed users will buy it and not know what they are missing.

The pessimist in me agrees. I still can't get the commercial out of my head. Its rotating, colorful, retro imagery is burned in my brain, and the music is so damn catchy. I can't help but think a lot of people will get, then keep, feeling fascination (pun intended) with that commercial, and check out the phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

my friend has the femtocell from att and he says its awesome

And currently you have to pay a lot for it. If carriers will want to keep up with network demand, they're going to have to make them free, eventually. It's already happening with SoftBank in Japan.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What sort of stuff do they have on the iphone?

Dude I said "aside the iPhone" meaning every other phone but the iPhone.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Dude I said "aside the iPhone" meaning every other phone but the iPhone.

Okay, What does ATT put on other devices that is so detrimental to the devices performance?
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Only the Droid 1 and HTC DInc came stock.

The Incredible is an HTC device so it's got Sense on it. The only phones that run stock Android are the Droid and Nexus One.

Though the majority of Android phones can be rooted and then have stock Android installed on it if the user wishes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Barring anti-trust issues, its not at all inconceivable that apple could just buy verizon sometime in the future.

And barring the fact that you can't just buy a company because you want to. I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell buying out another company is a two-sided decision. Unless Verizon loses so much money in the future that a buy-out helps them, I don't think they'll ever agree to be bought out by Apple.

The other problem I see is that Apple will need to have to create a plan to support the multitude of phones already existing on Verizon, in addition to the iPhone. And there's no way in hell they would kick all the existing customers off in favor of using only the iPhone.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

And barring the fact that you can't just buy a company because you want to. I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell buying out another company is a two-sided decision. Unless Verizon loses so much money in the future that a buy-out helps them, I don't think they'll ever agree to be bought out by Apple.

The other problem I see is that Apple will need to have to create a plan to support the multitude of phones already existing on Verizon, in addition to the iPhone. And there's no way in hell they would kick all the existing customers off in favor of using only the iPhone.

It's a decision made by shareholders. They can be persuaded at the right price. But I don't really think apple would buy verizon. I was just making a point: due to apple's global growth prospects for idevices, their size will dwarf a company like verizon and are therefore not likely to be dictated to by verizon in any way. Big dog/little dog scenario. So if verizon gets the iPhone, they will have to take it on apple's terms. But like I also wrote, biz being biz, it's in both their interests to make a deal...and so they will.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Actually if you read a recent article, iPhone is sold by some 150 carriers and Android by 50 carriers. But Google's picked up the best carriers. Apple's got a problem with Verizon in the US, Vodafone in Europe and China Mobile in China.

A year ago, Verizon desperately needed the iPhone. Now. Not so much. The tables have been reversed. I think Android's exponential growth caught Apple by surprise. Apple needs Verizon a heck of a lot more than Verizon needs Apple if it wants to stop the bleeding of market share. You may well argue that profitability is all that counts. But long term, profitability is going to take a hit with dropping market share. Heck, forget long term, profitability is going to take a hit, the moment they go with Verizon at a lower price anyway. And you can bet that they will be taking a price hit with Verizon. Last year, before the Droid, Apple had a chance to nip Android before it became a household name. But IMO, hubris, greed and ego on Apple's part has possibly cost them big.

Yes, profitability is really all that counts in business. Your argument about bleeding market share is not persuasive. Apple will be on the carriers you mention soon enough. They simply have the leverage and bucks to hold out for the best deals whereas other manufacturers with their me too droid offerings do not. Why you even mention google I don't get. How many phones is google selling?

The smartphone biz is going to explode globally. Apple is carving a very profitable model for themselves. Droid will sell a lot of phones by a lot of manufacturers but so what? As can already be seen in discussions here, distinctions are being made between the htc this and moto that. In the end, after the nerds have had their fun, the droid will be fragmented and compete on price mostly. Manufacturers will step over themselves to cut prices and add flair to distinguish their handsets and attract new buyers. I guarantee you that in a couple of years time, people won't even know which phones run droid OS and which don't. Manufacturers will have to put a little sticker on the device. Remind you of shopping for a PC? Windows inside. What is the market share of PCs vs Macs? Who is more profitable, apple or Dell? Enough said.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Quote:

It's a decision made by shareholders. They can be persuaded at the right price. But I don't really think apple would buy verizon. I was just making a point: due to apple's global growth prospects for idevices, their size will dwarf a company like verizon and are therefore not likely to be dictated to by verizon in any way. Big dog/little dog scenario. So if verizon gets the iPhone, they will have to take it on apple's terms. But like I also wrote, biz being biz, it's in both their interests to make a deal...and so they will.

True. However, Apple needs Verizon just the same. Without a carrier, the iPhone is nothing more than a slightly better iPod Touch. As some have said, I believe Apple is coming close to or has already hit the saturation point on AT&T.

Verizon being the largest and most reliable (I sound like a commercial for them don't I?) network in Apple's home country with millions of potential new users holds some bargaining weight. Because of this, I see Verizon also being able to dictate some of their own terms.

Apple cannot continue to be AT&T exclusive if they want to grow at home and Verizon is their best bet. Spirit being second in the running. I have no doubt that the iPhone will eventually show up on Verizon. Whether it's CDMA or LTE is to be determined.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:

What is the market share of PCs vs Macs? Who is more profitable, apple or Dell? Enough said.

Just one thing, although I know everyone likes to beat on Dell, there are just a few more companies making PC's than Dell.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Okay, What does ATT put on other devices that is so detrimental to the devices performance?

I don't know what they add but I know on its Android phones ATT disables the option of installing apps that for one reason or another are not found on the market. ATt also disabled the wireless tethering feature on the Nexus 1.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Just one thing, although I know everyone likes to beat on Dell, there are just a few more companies making PC's than Dell.

HP and Acer also do very well for the pc market and are nowhere near Apple on the profitability scale