Apple's gains make it second-largest stock in the world

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

That's just insane. I still can't fathom Apple being bigger than MS, or Sony, or HP, or a host of other "big" companies.

Market cap is just one measure of a company's size, and a somewhat arbitrary measurement at that. Still, it is one way of looking at the staggering amount of earnings growth Apple has posted over the last few years. It's a feat you don't see often.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From a worldwide brand recognition standpoint I think Google is better known and it is a verb as well as noun.

iPhone it. Maybe someday.

I think this list is pretty impressive ...

Which companies have the best reputations?

Apple tops the list for the third year in a row.

Apple

Google

Berkshire Hathaway

Johnson & Johnson

Amazon.com
  • Reply 23 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think this list is pretty impressive ...

Which companies have the best reputations?

Apple tops the list for the third year in a row.

Apple

Google

Berkshire Hathaway

Johnson & Johnson

Amazon.com

I don't know how Google got on that list. They don't even have a phone number or any kind of customer support. Although they do send me checks every month.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i guess m dell is feeling stupid right now

Dell's been feeling/looking stupid for about a decade or so. Nothing makes you feel as stupid as having your 100% wrong, loudmouthed opinion bouncing around the internet for years. Especially when YOUR OWN company falls apart while the one you were trashing takes over the world. Horse's ass? Nobody's arguing.

What Apple should do now is:

1) Buy Verizon outright.

2) Fire all the Verizon execs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

So you know, the new product will be called iSaid, followed up by a bigger and better version called iTolduso.

iWantItAll
  • Reply 25 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know how Google got on that list. They don't even have a phone number or any kind of customer support.

LOL true.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

1) Buy Verizon outright.

Nah, Verizon wouldn't add much value for Apple shareholders. As a matter of fact, it would be a significant liability, with their $57 billion of debt.

Besides, Apple rightfully considers mobile operators to be dumb pipes: AT&T, Orange, O2, Rogers, China Unicom, etc. They are all dumb pipes. Verizon is no different: just another dumb pipe.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Well, by now he's 45 and worth 13 billion and change ...

... but whats a few billion among fellow CEOs?

Your point is taken.

Maybe he could use some of that wealth, wipe out his old identity, get a fresh start and save himself all the embarrassment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Are you sure?

He's 41 years old with a net worth of over $17 billion.

Steve's net work is just more than $6 billion.

Don't feel sorry for Dell.

• Reply 28 of 73
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    To those of us who were defending Apple during the "beleaguered 90's", this article seems utterly mind-boggling.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Dell's been feeling/looking stupid for about a decade or so. Nothing makes you feel as stupid as having your 100% wrong, loudmouthed opinion bouncing around the internet for years. Especially when YOUR OWN company falls apart while the one you were trashing takes over the world. Horse's ass? Nobody's arguing.

1) Buy Verizon outright.

iWantItAll

Actually Adobe dropped 20% earlier this week on bad earnings and guidance... Apple could pick them up for pocket change and kill Flash once and for all.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

It sure sounds like, Apple WILL be the largest company in the world, within the next 6-7 months.

- After MORE iPad, iPhone sales, which will be a lot after Verizon and the addition of the camera to the iPad

Good for them!

Hell some would have to call this a miracle, seeing they won't suppose to be around much longer (some 8-10 years ago)

Skip

Oh, this is a BIG smile on my face ? I purchased the stock at UNDER $20.00 a share! Boy do I wish I bought more then

Wait until, the iPad 2 drops next year! All hell will break loose up in this bi***!!!!!

Can you imagine an iPad with ISP and retina display!!!!!! Jesus Christ !!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

OMFG!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Ah it's so refreshing to read about this an see the appl stock curve rising and shining. I often have to think how it was in the dark 90ties, when apple seamed on the brink of cracking. And most of my friends wouldn't understand, why I was still buying something like the Quadra610. And now this and so much more to come. AppleTv being only a hobby, but guess what potential there is with all the iOS' ecosystem.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Ok Apple, when you reach #1, I have a few new ideas to branch out with:

1. Go Patriotic and design an electric car, the one we all want to buy.

2. Design a new remote for all TV/Entertainment devices. Or a TV/DVR Interface that could catch on so we could all standardize our components and the means to control them with a simple download. The remote, perhaps a new titanium, would be irresistible to men.

2a. Better yet, return fire on Samsung and design a bigger, thinner, lighter, brighter LCD HD TV.

3. Design a better battery, including consumer sizes (AAA, AA, D).

4. Turn the lighting industry upside-down. Design LED Lights that are brighter, whiter, lighter and righter. Create a new socket standard. Design a light that really does last longer and saves $.

5. You're currently looking into ditching the old headphone jack design...something I've hated for years. When you're done with that, get into the field of electricity. We need entirely new standards for moving electrons, including a new interface for appliances to be plugged in.

6. Be the first at bat with the resealable aluminum can. That might change the world more than anything you've done so far.

All these things are going to change. Might as well be Apple leading the charge, with their world-class engineering team.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Actually Adobe dropped 20% earlier this week on bad earnings and guidance... Apple could pick them up for pocket change and kill Flash once and for all.

I wouldn't want Flash on my mobile devices, but for mouse oriented desktops I believe Flash has still a long future. I used to do quite some flash programming myself to produce a whole website with interactive animation and the like. It's really quite versatile. People using Flash only for video play back, is like having a Ferrari just to light their cigarett.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

It can't last as "Apple is closed" and we all know that "open" wins¡

Just wait until the Windows Phone 7 arrives.

And, the CrackPad.

And, the HP Slate.

And, netbooks will destroy overpriced MacBooks.

Yeah YEah....we've heard of all these products destroying Apple and NONE have accomplished it. Guess a girl can have her dreams huh?
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i guess m dell is feeling stupid right now

good point...I think all the PC manufactures and PC users, especially corporate users have been hurt by MicroSoft's clumsy attempts at making an OS. I know I have in the past....up to 3AM reinstalling Windows....albeit that was 10 years ago with '98. Sheez!
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Wait until, the iPad 2 drops next year! All hell will break loose up in this bi***!!!!!

Can you imagine an iPad with ISP and retina display!!!!!! Jesus Christ !!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

OMFG!!!!!!!!

BREATH DUDE BREATH! LOL..I'm stoked for it to though...Wee-Heeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

You wait until Jobs and company releases their new product called iOil. Then you will see them become largest market cap company.

Yep, Apple is one Exxon oil spill away from being the largest! Let's hope a spill doesn't happen and Apple does on the sale of iPads....

FYI: In the last 2 years BP had 781 fines against it for non-compliance to regulatory standards....anyone want to guess who was second?

Exxon

Anyone want to guess how my fines Exxon had in the same time period?

2!

No wonder BP f'd up in the Gulf
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:

1) Buy Verizon outright.

iWantItAll

I like it! But it's a bit harsh...what I would do is line them all up against a wall and ask every fourth one to step fwd....those remaining are fired! Ahhh! You're right fire them all!

I've been saying this for years...Verizon had a chance to have the coolest product (iPhone) in the last decade...and their Executive staff passed! What f'heads! I mean talk about more foreskin than foresight! Sheez! They should all be replaced for this fact alone!

Yep, buy Verizon and only carry the iPhones with a $49/mo 'unlimited' plan and a second tier pay as you go 'basic' Nano iPhone for the Walmart crowd, made by LG, $19/mo unlimited calls and text! No Blackberries, no 'roids!' Close all the Verizon stores, too and just use Radio Shack, Best Buy and Walmart and online. F' Amazon and Target!

PSS. I'm not a big fan of Satellite TV companies...but wouldn't it be great if Apple bought DirectTV or DishTV...and rebranded it AppleTV. Talk about solving the 'Get to Market' problem Stevo is talking about....
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

BREATH DUDE BREATH! LOL..I'm stoked for it to though...Wee-Heeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

• Reply 40 of 73
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Makes me feel very fuzzy when I hear an innovation based company valued on the same scale of economic importance as an Oil Company. I hope we move away from oil and let those oil companies die as soon as possible.