Apple's gains make it second-largest stock in the world

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    This is truly amazing!

PS. 'CrackPad' I love it!

PSS. 10 years ago I was standing in the very small corner Apple section of a CompUSA debating in my little brain whether or not to stay with Mac (very expensive) or go with the cheaper Windows PC. A German engineer started talking to me...I voiced my dilemma. He said, 'I don't know what you get paid (~$10/hr.) but I get paid $300/hr and the last thing I want to do is dick around with a PC. Get the Mac it just works!"

I took his advice and never looked back...I'm so glad I did!

Best!
  • Reply 42 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Makes me feel very fuzzy when I hear an innovation based company valued on the same scale of economic importance as an Oil Company. I hope we move away from oil and let those oil companies die as soon as possible.

Agreed...if your job involves making people sick (MacDonald's) or raping the sea and land (BP), I'm sorry....you need to get a different job!"

Best!
  • Reply 43 of 73
    So no longer the underdogs? No longer 'different'? Now Apple is mainstream, will that hurt them?
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Are you sure?

He's 41 years old with a net worth of over $17 billion.

Steve's net work is just more than $6 billion.

Don't feel sorry for Dell.

Sometimes legacy has more to do than what you have in the bank. Mr. Dell has nowhere close to the relevance Mr. Jobs has when it's all said and done.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

So no longer the underdogs? No longer 'different'? Now Apple is mainstream, will that hurt them?

If they get cocky and sloppy, yes.

Witness what happened at General Motors and Microsoft...
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, Verizon wouldn't add much value for Apple shareholders. As a matter of fact, it would be a significant liability, with their $57 billion of debt.

Besides, Apple rightfully considers mobile operators to be dumb pipes: AT&T, Orange, O2, Rogers, China Unicom, etc. They are all dumb pipes. Verizon is no different: just another dumb pipe.

Dumb pipes? You're an unmitigated idiot, pure and simple.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Cool it with the personal attacks.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    I so wish I'd bought some Apple stock when the price dipped below $90 at the beginning of 2009... it's interesting how the stock price has made Apple almost the most valuable company in the world, but Bill Gates is still ten times richer than Steve Jobs. How'd he manage that when he makes such crappy software?
  • Reply 49 of 73
    I didn't vote for the big O, but he's missing an opportunity to trumpet green/hi-tech jobs of the future. And he can do it while showcasing our favorite fruit company, Apple.

He could point to Apple to illustrate the importance of education in a knowledge economy, that manufacturing is not a critical component to the pie. Globalization is bringing down wages for skills that don't require an advanced degree. Our nation needs world-class companies that CREATE and INNOVATE new products to win. China, as a manufacturer, does get a small stipend but the financial rewards flow right back to Apple's shareholders, employees, and stakeholders.

In the absence of innovation, manufacturing is critical. But we have to think different now. Broadly available and affordable quality education and companies that foster an environment that stokes the flames of creativity and ingenuity are more important.

If I were Obama, I'd seize this opportunity. Hillary Clinton was right when she told those factory workers in Ohio that those jobs are not coming back. We are not a manufacturing economy any longer. The future is an educated/skilled workforce coupled with entrepreneurial and innovative companies.

It's not a 100% fit as Apple is non-union and full of rich employees, but it works for illustrating the jobs of tomorrow and proving that companies can benefit by being green.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    For those of you old enough to remember, check this out!

http://www.businessweek.com/1996/06/960205.htm

How pundits can be wrong!
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Quote:

Are you sure?

He is 45 and NOT hurting for sure.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:

Are you sure?

Latest figures has Mr. Dell down to $13.5 billion.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Yeah Yeah....we’ve heard of all these products destroying Apple and NONE have accomplished it. Guess a girl can have her dreams huh?

Did you miss the sarcasm mark after wins?
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

You wait until Jobs and company releases their new product called iOil. Then you will see them become largest market cap company.

There's another possibility. They could buy Tesla Motors, get the S-model family coupe in massproduction, and simultaneously invest in huge wind turbine farms to charge the millions of electric cars at night with cheap clean electricity. That would all but put Exxon Mobile out of business and surely bring their market cap way below Apple's
  • Reply 55 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I hope we move away from oil and let those oil companies die as soon as possible.

What are you going to replace oil with?

I'm no fan of giving countries who want to literally see us dead billions of dollars, but there is no viable alternative to oil right now. It's too cheap a source of energy and we, as consumers are either unwilling or unable to pay for the alternatives.

I think it is fascinating a company that makes it's profit from producing durable goods has passed all but the last energy company. Then again I don't think energy companies shouldn't allowed to be for profit but co-ops instead (same as with health care).
  • Reply 56 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

They are just dumb pipes. They have proven themselves incompetent (mainly due to greed) at any value add. I don't miss Verizon and their crippling of phone handsets. I still have to laugh at them kicking google off of their own OS
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:

Are you sure?

No one is feeling sorry for him. Doesn't change the fact that he must feel stupid for being so wrong.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obs1970 View Post

For those of you old enough to remember, check this out!

http://www.businessweek.com/1996/06/960205.htm

How pundits can be wrong!

Very interesting read. You know what struck me the most? The last line:

"Maybe he should rout around in the attic for that pirate flag."

Boy, it took a little while, but the "pirate" they did find.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    APPLE destined to be #1

ONLY TIME WILL TELL!!
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Apple got to this point without lobbying the Government to pay it to build computers.

It didn't have to lie and cut corners and bribe regulators.

It hasn't left oil wells running for decades in Africa....

... after all that evil crap and shenanigans that companies like BP and Exxon have pulled,.. they get beat by a company that just makes good products.

>> I have to think that some of these defense contractors and pollution providers who pay for astro-turf groups to misinform the public, just really enjoy being powerful and doing bad things way more than the money.