Apple preparing first $99 Apple TVs for shipment

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Customers who preordered the new Apple TV have begun receiving notifications that the $99 set top box is now shipping, with an estimated arrival by the end of the month.



Shipment notifications began going out to some customers early Monday. The new Apple TV is shipping from Shenzhen, China, to customers in the U.S. via FedEx.



Estimated delivery for shipments is by Thursday, Sept. 30, meaning Apple will meet its September launch deadline.



On Sunday, readers informed AppleInsider that their orders for the new Apple TV were being listed as "Prepared for Shipment." The device was also still listed as "Ships: September."



A substantial redesign of the Apple TV was revealed on Sept. 1 at Apple's annual iPod event, but the device wasn't scheduled to ship until "later this month."



On Thursday, Apple began refunding customers who had paid for expedited shipping on their Apple TV.



"Our records indicate that when you placed your order you paid for upgraded shipping," Apple wrote in Thursday's emails. "Due to a delay, we may have not been able to meet our delivery commitment."



On Wednesday, Apple started authorizing the credit cards of those who placed preorders of the device.



«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple is readying the first shipments of its new $99 Apple TV, on track for the end of September as promised.



    Readers have informed AppleInsider that, as of Sunday, their orders for the new Apple TV are being listed as "Prepared for Shipment." The device is also still listed as "Ships: September."



    A substantial redesign of the Apple TV was revealed on Sept. 1 at Apple's annual iPod event, but the device wasn't scheduled to ship until "later this month."



    On Thursday, Apple began refunding customers who had paid for expedited shipping on their Apple TV.



    "Our records indicate that when you placed your order you paid for upgraded shipping," Apple wrote in Thursday's emails. "Due to a delay, we may have not been able to meet our delivery commitment."



    On Wednesday, Apple started authorizing the credit cards of those who placed preorders of the device.



    Looking forward to getting one once 4.2 comes out with Airplay and apps. Plus with it being so small it will be ideal for road trips.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    hmm... I placed my order on the day it was announced and my CC has not been charged yet.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    just got an e-mail from apple saying that my package has been picked up and is in transit. ETA: 9/30/2010.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    btw, the pickup location is: SHENZHEN CN and it's being shipped using FedEx
  • Reply 5 of 54
    As an Apple fan, I shall be getting one of these for myself. At a hundred bucks, It's a small price to pay so that I will be qualified to comment on the product.



    I still think I should pick up an older one without the iOS, but the low price point will make it easier to swallow when I find out it can't do something I want it to do.



    Hoping Apple gets this one right.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    I bought one too. I have every version of this product. I'm not sure how the photos are going to stream (if they do), but that sure is a nice feature when the Apple TV goes into sleep mode - the scrolling of your life in full color.



    We used our ATV the other night when company was over. So many funny videos that I've collected over the years as well as crystal clear pictures. I'm looking forward to the new unit with its NetFlix feature. One step closer to cutting out the cable bill.



    For those that are wondering about hard wiring in an ethernet jack behind their tv... it's worth it. I enjoy fiber optic to the home and it's very fast DSL. So my Apple Base station can spit out 802.11n without any bottlenecks. But the performance of wireless is still erratic and a mystery. A wired connection was worth its weight in gold.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    I still think I should pick up an older one without the iOS, but the low price point will make it easier to swallow when I find out it can't do something I want it too.



    Well it won't make you dinner, so I'd save your money.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macasaurus View Post


    just got an e-mail from apple saying that my package has been picked up and is in transit. ETA: 9/30/2010.



    Just got an email that my order has shipped.

    I guess the remote application should be updated soon to support AirPlay.



    Time will tell.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Estimated shipping time still September for me
  • Reply 10 of 54
    My delivery date is September 30, 2010, looking forward to viewing Hollywood Movies on our HDTV.

    I am a Fanboy.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Good luck first users! ;-)
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone;


    Good luck first users! ;-)



    Always an adventure!
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post


    I'm not sure how the photos are going to stream (if they do), but that sure is a nice feature when the Apple TV goes into sleep mode - the scrolling of your life in full color.



    For my parents this is also key. They often have music playing with the TV showing floating pictures from various times in life.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post


    I guess the remote application should be updated soon to support AirPlay.



    iOS4.2 for AirPlay from the iPhone/Touch/Pad is due in November, so hopefully early in November for AppleTV users.



    (And with alarms on iPhones going off an hour early (for anybody on daylight savings) until Apple publishes a fix, I hope we don't have to wait till November for an update!)
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post


    Good luck first users! ;-)



    There haver to be first users, otherwise nothing would ever sell!!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    As an Apple fan, I shall be getting one of these for myself. At a hundred bucks, It's a small price to pay so that I will be qualified to comment on the product.



    I still think I should pick up an older one without the iOS, but the low price point will make it easier to swallow when I find out it can't do something I want it to do.



    Hoping Apple gets this one right.







    That sums it all up right there.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,108member
    I wonder if anyone outside of the US has got a shipping date for this Thursday, I know that Apple tends to prioritise the US customers over everyone else, but if it's shipping direct from China the rest of the world might get a look too.



    EDIT



    I guess everything ships direct from China really so that won't make a difference, no ship date on my order yet here in the UK.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post


    I wonder if anyone outside of the US has got a shipping date for this Thursday, I know that Apple tends to prioritise the US customers over everyone else, but if it's shipping direct from China the rest of the world might get a look too.



    EDIT



    I guess everything ships direct from China really so that won't make a difference, no ship date on my order yet here in the UK.



    Are you aware that in the UK there are no TV show rentals at all? So this is purely to stream your own content, plus rent movies from iTunes.



    Stating the obvious but no Netflix either, or any sort of replacement from LoveFilm. Not even BBC iPlayer support.



    It just feels like a horribly limited box to me, and I have an original Apple TV which I rarely use. The functionality you get from a PS3 completely blows it away in every possible way, which is why it's my main media device.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    We have iOS 4.2 beta on an iP4 and 2 iPads. We can stream audio via Airport Express-- Nice!



    My new ATV shows prepared for shipment.



    I wonder if the shipping version is able to receive AirPlay streaming or if that will require a update to the ATV iOS.



    Another thing I wonder about: When I attach the iPhone to the TV with the Universal Dock (Component Video), The video plays fine on the TV, but the iPhone display is turned off.



    In a recent video of some phone (Samsung Galaxy S, I think) it showed the phone attached to the TV and both screens were active.



    It wasn't clear in the Keynote whether this is true for AirPlay.



    I think it is important to be able to keep the iPhone or iPad display on while streaming via AirPlay. I don't necessarily want to display the same thing that is streaming to the TV-- rather, on the iPad, show the list of movies, controls, etc. (streaming as a background task).



    This also would be a no-brainer for business -- stream a keynote preso from your iPad while controlling it, annotating it from the same device.



    ,
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post






    That sums it all up right there.



    Be my friend!!!
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    Are you aware that in the UK there are no TV show rentals at all? So this is purely to stream your own content, plus rent movies from iTunes.



    Stating the obvious but no Netflix either, or any sort of replacement from LoveFilm. Not even BBC iPlayer support.



    It just feels like a horribly limited box to me, and I have an original Apple TV which I rarely use. The functionality you get from a PS3 completely blows it away in every possible way, which is why it's my main media device.



    Hmmm... I wonder why Sony can do it, but not Apple...



    Isn't the CEO of Sony British?



    Maybe Sony has a better understanding of the British market.



    .
Sign In or Register to comment.