Dell to launch 7-inch tablet in 'next few weeks' to challenge iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can you name a couple of apps that support 11 multi-touches... 11 mutli-touches seems like a useless spec to me.

Check out UZU
  • Reply 22 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmmmmmm... Android, Chrome OS, Windows... hey Mike... you missed Web OS!

Their business plan is based upon the theory that if you throw enough shit at the wall some of it is bound to stick!

He also missed MS DOS. Has he no respect for history!
  • Reply 23 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Device makers like Dell are clamoring to break in to the touchscreen tablet market, where Apple has made a splash with the success of its multi-touch iPad. The iPad sold more than 3 million in its first three months, and retail expansion is expected to help push the device to 21 million in 2011.

It should be made compulsory for anyone writing about the iPad to re-read what they (or their websites) wrote about the earliest iPod. Remember, at that time, there were many music players. Most bloggers then thought the iPod would FAIL big time - over-priced, Mac-only, requires iTunes etc. I don't recall seeing any "mea culpas" or apologies ........

Then they should be required to re-read what they (or their websites) wrote about the iPad. Again, bloggers thought the iPad would FAIL big time - for the same reasons and without any apologies ........

But in both cases, it is now an accepted fact by even the most blinkered bloggers that both of these product ranges were extremely successful. The BIG difference is that, with the iPod, Apple came from behind and competed with an existing product category. With the iPad, Apple came first and wrote the rule book.

Any new ideas these would-be "iPadalike" makers come up with, Apple has either already tried and rejected it or they have enough advance warning to build it in the next time. My guess is that it will pan out in a similar way to the iPod: iPad 70%, all others: 30%.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    It doesn't matter if you can't think of an app that uses 11-multitouches. Someone already mentioned piano, which was a good one, but 11-multitouches doesn't mean you'll NEED it, just that it's good UP TO 11 multi touches.

Maybe thinking of apps where you need 3, 4, or 5 fingers for whatever reason would be easier.

Either way, what a RETARDED THING TO BITCH ABOUT.
  • Reply 25 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Not saying the Dell stuff will do well (it will be a flop). But in general, people like choices... Lots of choices...

That's not really true. Market research has proven that too many options lock people out of making a clear decision and potentially out of deciding at all. If a single company offers multiple options for what the consumer views as one product it instills confusion and doubt that any one is the "best" choice.

People gripe that Apple manages a limited product line-up, but there are many, many advantages to that in both production and consumer mind-share.
  • Reply 26 of 129
    I know this has been said before (probably also by me), but I think the real secret behind Apple is that they do Hardware AND Software. Imagine sitting there and designing some hardware, and not knowing what the roadmap for e.g. Android is - and vice versa. At Apple, at a certain executive level, people know exactly what the need from the hardware and what from the software side. I think that has been true for Apple Computers, and it is even more true for these small form factor, even more purpose focussed devices, like the iOS devices.

I am looking forward to what HP is doing with the WebOS. This might be interesting. Also maybe RIM, as they design their own software for the PlayBook (funny name any way, sounds so Appleish). But as long as companies as Dell decide to put on Android or MS iPhoneOS or both on different products - I believe they will fail.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    I will tell you why this will fail, and it is not what you think. All these devices use what is known as LPDRR memory, (low power DDR), each ipad ships with 4 dies in the A4 processor. and Iphone ships with 2 and the Itouch ships with 2 too. Apple today is the largest purchaser of LPDDR memory in the market, they also bought up 1/2 of the total supply of these parts for 2011 to supply all their mobile products. This does not leave much for everyone else to us buy and use.

Even is any of these products are slightly successful most likely they will not be able to get supply and therefore they will be shortage and people will walk across the street and buy and Ipad since Apple will have supply.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knwbuddy View Post

can you name a few which require 5 fingers? I can't think of any except the one already identified, which has been said to support all ten fingers and one toe.

Well, I see you are starting to ramp up your post rate to former levels, Newtron.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I am looking forward to what HP is doing with the WebOS. This might be interesting.

At this point, to me, it looks like the RiM and HP are direct competitors for carving out tablet marketshare,
  • Reply 30 of 129
    Dell should do its investors a favor and shut down and give the money back to them.

Oh... wait... wasn't that...

If it's like their anemic "phone" it will be ridiculed by all the pundits.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blilly View Post

That's not really true. Market research has proven that too many options lock people out of making a clear decision and potentially out of deciding at all. If a single company offers multiple options for what the consumer views as one product it instills confusion and doubt that any one is the "best" choice.

People gripe that Apple manages a limited product line-up, but there are many, many advantages to that in both production and consumer mind-share.

An examples of too many choices/variants: Internal HD's for my iMac (any computer). Hours of freaking research at the end of which a choice is made yet you really don't know what you are getting nor if it will make a blind bit of difference had you made a different choice.

I like the Rolls Royce salesman who when asked how many horsepowers the engine had replied 'Plenty'. A little like Apple's Fast, Faster, Fastest descriptions.
  • Reply 32 of 129

DUDE! You're getting a Dell...
  • Reply 33 of 129
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    So.. Dell business plan is to throw as much junk as possible and hope something sticks. Genius!
  • Reply 34 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At this point, to me, it looks like the RiM and HP are direct competitors for carving out tablet marketshare,

up to this point in time, neither rim or hp has come up with a new & successful product, for years. only their original products, with some refinement, keep them going.
  • Reply 35 of 129
    Amazing the tone of this thread. I think you guys are really afraid of some competition.

You are pissing on the thing before it even comes out. Why don't you wait until you've had a chance to play with the thing before you...what's the hip word young people use today...dis it??

Make a 7 inch pad, put a camera on it and Adobe Flash so you can watch videos in the browser and you might have something there. Get developers to write great games for it and kids will love it.

Since Apple likes to release 1st editions of their products with features missing that should be common sense, I think there is a market for copy cat products if they offer features people want. And if they make it cheaper, all the better.
  • Reply 36 of 129

The Droid X has a ~5 inch screen. It's a little too big for your pocket, so people clip them on their belt. And, at it's size; it is on the large side for a cell phone.

The iPad is at 9.7 inches and fits nicely in a case about the same size as a normal file. It's too big to fit on your belt, but is about the perfect size to carry. It's light weight, has a long battery life, and the design effort that went into it is amazing. Definitely a slam-dunk from half-court.

But, at 7 inches you are really too small to carry - but too large to clip on your belt. The screen isn't that much different from watching a movie or website on your Droid X. So, this unit is too large to be a phone, but too small to be a useful tablet.

This seems like a misfit appliance out of the gate.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    Quote:

Well, they certainly look like they will be directly competing for developers, at least. One has to wonder what HP is up to with webOS, though. At this point it seems almost dead, although, hibernating might be more accurate.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Even though the resolution may be similar on the proposed smaller 7" tablets, remember that the iPad's 9.7" display is an optimum size to view one sheet of a standard A4 document. 7" might be too small for older eyes. My suspicion is that for productivity and document based activities the smaller tablets will require a lot of pinching and zooming. Better hope that multi-touch is well implemented....

True, and if all I wanted was something to read a magazine, newspaper, or text book, I'd likely want the larger size so I can see the layouts, read indiviual columns of text, etc. But there are so many other things that don't require a screen that size. And I (and many others, I suspect) would gladly trade a few extra multi-touch pinches and zoom for an even more portable device.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

The profit or rather lack thereof amongst all those scrambling to get out pads running whatever OS will be horrific. As we have mentioned before they are all throwing together parts from various sources to make these things including the OS. It is going to be a blood bath out there except for Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So.. Dell business plan is to throw as much junk as possible and hope something sticks. Genius!

With Dell what gets me is when I see they are going to ship something with Android 1.6. Why not just use Windows 3.1 and call it a day.