Dell to launch 7-inch tablet in 'next few weeks' to challenge iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

"a whole slew"

these people just don't get it.

Hmm, how many different iPod model and color combinations can you come up with? I get a whole slew. Some posters just dont get it.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    I'm a developer and am salivating at the prospect of having to write for 724 different form factors and OS's for Dell's upcoming devices.

Can you say CHA-CHING!
  • Reply 83 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can you name a couple of apps that support 11 multi-touches... 11 mutli-touches seems like a useless spec to me.

Count those fingers 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 plus 5 is 11

Check out UZU

11 multi-touches does not mean it detects 11 touches on the screen at one time.

It means there are 11 different multi-touch gestures in iOS 4 it can distingush.
  • Reply 84 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

"a whole slew"

these people just don't get it.

Yeah... I don't know if the world is ready for that!

Maybe, they should start with a half slew... and build on that!

• Reply 85 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

IPad supports up to 11 muti-touches, this rubbish dell tablet , NO doubt and NO need to even look at the spec and , No need to even think and ask , cant support more than 3 muti-touches

I've always wondered... where is that 11th touch supposed to come from?

• Reply 86 of 129
    I'm a recent Dell employee and I'm here to tell you that Dell launching an "iPad' challenger is 110% phony...

Dell may launch someone else's 7 or 10 or 15 in tablet but you can bet it ain't "Dell's". AND if the rumbling is true that along with these various sizes of tablet's they also plan to launch them all with different O/S to try and weasel into a market... HA! Good lick with that..

The still can't even support Windows X/P mush less Froyo.... Good money would stay as far away from these clowns as possible...
  • Reply 87 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Amazing the tone of this thread. I think you guys are really afraid of some competition.

You are pissing on the thing before it even comes out. Why don't you wait until you've had a chance to play with the thing before you...what's the hip word young people use today...dis it??

Make a 7 inch pad, put a camera on it and Adobe Flash so you can watch videos in the browser and you might have something there. Get developers to write great games for it and kids will love it.

Since Apple likes to release 1st editions of their products with features missing that should be common sense, I think there is a market for copy cat products if they offer features people want. And if they make it cheaper, all the better.

No fear here Blackie, don't know how you read fear out of the contents of this thread, except perhaps whatever you are bringing to it. Likewise - few "pissing" as you so colorfully put it, most questioning the market viability of it against other class contenders like the RIM Playbook, the HP Slate, and all the other Acer, Samsung, EKEN, HCL, SmartQ, Augen, Moonst, and Nationite Rocktab recently announced competitors.

So Adobe Flash for handhelds still pretty much sucks vapors performance-wise, good call there, and these hardware houses love to throw as many features as you can expense into the device, whether they work well or not. What ecosystem are they going to bring to these - Android? Even though Google has pretty much told everyone that ChromeOS is the OS for tablets not Android.

But hey, Pandora's box is open now so everyone will try to use Android for everything, which Google is going to come to regret hugely. They can't support the multiple versions out there now - let alone a swathe of tablets on top of the smartphones they already don't support well. And are people going to want to pay close to the same amount for a 7incher when they can get a better/bigger screen on the iPad for a pocketful of change more? Few of these are significantly cheaper, and if they are they are much lower powered/featured. You need to get out of your dimly lit rooms once in a while.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Let the clone war begin!

In any case, this is good news as Dell is going to push the price down.

In terms of competition, the Blackberry Playbook poses the biggest challenge in terms of specs and UI IMHO. Also, it looks like the majority of the newcomers are opting for the 7" format which is lighter and requires only one hand. I like it.

I do hope Apple revamps the UI of the iPAD. They were one of the first to implement Cover Flow and now everyone is copying them. So it makes sense to see it on the IPAD. The grid layout is getting old.

Have you seen the PlayBook UI? I haven't & I've done a lot of searching! Link please.

Like you, I thought that CoverFlow would be a pretty good UI for iDevices -- especially the iPad.

I even went so far as to implement a hierarchical CoverFlow.

It makes a sweet UI, but it is GPU intensive and drains the battery. (CoverFlow is a private API, so what I use isn't as efficient as what Apple could provide).

• Reply 89 of 129
    Quote:

Can you name a couple of apps that support 11 multi-touches... 11 mutli-touches seems like a useless spec to me.

Software Audio Console. Runs on a PC with a 3M multitouch display. Supports 10 (granted, not 11) fingers adjusting fader levels at once. Quite useful if you're a live sound engineer. Too bad there isn't a (native) iPad control surface for it
  • Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

to do this. They shutdown the Microsoft version of the slate - you don't see anyone else doing that, except by proxy by going with Android instead of waiting on Redmond to get their version available. The Android + ChromOS is a nasty one/two punch to Msoft's efforts in the handheld space. They NEED a serious winner with Win7 mobile to recover share from Android and fend off the tablet threat of ChromeOS. I see ChromeOS as the contender to beat - they built it against the netbook economies, which translates well to the tablet build, with a decent touch interface.

HP can leverage Palm WebOS for its devices, or select from the Android, ChromeOS or Windows bins as needed. Which will fragment their install base among those choices, but still sell devices. I see them trying to emulate Apple with WebOS though. So they may in fact introduce WebOS with the Palm infrastructure in place to have an ecosystem to drive, but still offer the other OSes as also-builds.

Well, according to this article,

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/29/hp...or-early-2011/

HP have not shutdown the Windows slate, they have no interest in Android, and they will be introducing a webOS tablet in early 2011, after the Windows slate is released.
  • Reply 91 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

It should be made compulsory for anyone writing about the iPad to re-read what they (or their websites) wrote about the earliest iPod. Remember, at that time, there were many music players. Most bloggers then thought the iPod would FAIL big time - over-priced, Mac-only, requires iTunes etc. I don't recall seeing any "mea culpas" or apologies ........

But the iPod did not succeed or become popular until they opened it to Windows users. Until then, it was one of many music players, because the Mac computer market was/is small compared to Windows users, and was not the smashing success it became.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I will tell you why this will fail, and it is not what you think. All these devices use what is known as LPDRR memory, (low power DDR), each ipad ships with 4 dies in the A4 processor. and Iphone ships with 2 and the Itouch ships with 2 too. Apple today is the largest purchaser of LPDDR memory in the market, they also bought up 1/2 of the total supply of these parts for 2011 to supply all their mobile products. This does not leave much for everyone else to us buy and use.

Even is any of these products are slightly successful most likely they will not be able to get supply and therefore they will be shortage and people will walk across the street and buy and Ipad since Apple will have supply.

That's quite interesting, and fits Apple's MO.

Do you have any links?

• Reply 93 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

An examples of too many choices/variants: Internal HD's for my iMac (any computer). Hours of freaking research at the end of which a choice is made yet you really don't know what you are getting nor if it will make a blind bit of difference had you made a different choice.

I like the Rolls Royce salesman who when asked how many horsepowers the engine had replied 'Plenty'. A little like Apple's Fast, Faster, Fastest descriptions.

Or... The Aboriginal Numbering System: Few and Many!

• Reply 94 of 129
    supply seems to be a problem all round.

2 months after release, here in Canada, you couldn't even line up to get an iphone4, because, there simply aren't any. Only a handful every few days go to stores and waiting lists get them.

And that's in the biggest city here of 5 million.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've always wondered... where is that 11th touch supposed to come from?

The same place the others come from. Your fingers.

There are 11 different multi touch gestures in iOS 4. It's not that it recognizes 11 different points being touched.
  • Reply 96 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I don't understand .... Why 7 inches

That's what I've been asking my wife for years ... why, why, why ...????
  • Reply 97 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I like the Rolls Royce salesman who when asked how many horsepowers the engine had replied 'Plenty'. A little like Apple's Fast, Faster, Fastest descriptions.

Or the guy that asks for a small soft drink at a fast food restaurant. The server replies:

"We have Large, Giant and El Mondo Grosso -- If you want small, you'll take large and like it!"

• Reply 98 of 129
    if the price is good and good specs, I will not wait till january to get new ipad i will be interested in dell
  • Reply 99 of 129
    Quote:

Not saying the Dell stuff will do well (it will be a flop). But in general, people like choices... Lots of choices...

Actually, studies have shown that "Lots of choices" may cause analysis paralysis in humans. In other words there is a diminishing return beyond a certain number of choices. Google the book Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely for more details about the study.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The same place the others come from. Your fingers.

There are 11 different multi touch gestures in iOS 4. It's not that it recognizes 11 different points being touched.

http://mashable.com/2010/04/27/ipad-11-fingers/