NPD: Early iPad adopters more satisfied, active than recent buyers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The NPD Group revealed this week that customers who bought an iPad at launch are extremely satisfied with the device and use it quite often, but more recent purchasers are less active with their tablet.

What I would really love to see on my iPad and iPhone is the ability to stream music from my computer to those devices - without jailbreaking or using some workaround.

The Remote App would be perfect if it had an option for the speakers to be: "iPhone" or "iPad"

I stream videos using Air Video Server and it works great. Not having audio is a bit of a drag.

Streaming photos from iPhoto or Aperture would also be great.

I need the streaming capabilities as my media/photos total over 500GB.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The USB thing is so stupid. What do people expect they'd to be able to plug into it if there was a USB port? Mouse? Printer? Scanner? Gamepad? Even if it had a USB port, 99% of the things you'd try to plug into it wouldn't work or make any sense.

I don't know - loading pictures off a camera without buying a separate adapter? I don't think that's too much to ask.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    I think people who bought the iPad in the beginning really needed it and people who buy it now have to much money or seen it in the hands of real users and also wanted one without knowing what they are going to use it for.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

What I would really love to see on my iPad and iPhone is the ability to stream music from my computer to those devices - without jailbreaking or using some workaround.

The Remote App would be perfect if it had an option for the speakers to be: "iPhone" or "iPad"

I stream videos using Air Video Server and it works great. Not having audio is a bit of a drag.

Streaming photos from iPhoto or Aperture would also be great.

I need the streaming capabilities as my media/photos total over 500GB.

Try StreamToMe / ServeToMe -- love it!
  • Reply 65 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My biggest issue is Safari. Say I start a post, write a few lines and I decide to double check something I'm about to say, so I open another Safari window and look it up. I switch back to my post and Safari reloads the page and the post window is cleared of any entered text.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This is still a problem even the 4.2 beta doesn't solve it. However, sometimes when I go back to Safari the page doesn't reload!

There are a couple of things Apple could do to fix this:

1) Smart Safari -- if you've modified anything on a page, save a clipboard image of the page area modified. Then reload it on return to that page.

2) Implement a multi-level clipboard system wide, combined with the above:

-- Start a reply to a post

-- leave Safari for another app, or access another Safari page: above is auto saved to the clipboard.

-- in another app or page you copy/paste to a new clipboard entry or directly into an existing clipboard entity

-- and just go "waltzing off to Withywindel"

• Reply 66 of 115
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Sure he does. And he just happens to make a whine list identical to iPad hating trolls purely by coincidence?

Congrats, you won the precious idiot of the month award. And it's only the 1st day of Nov.
  • Reply 67 of 115
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Amazing how many people don't know shit. Do your research, people. You just love hating on things you don't understand.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Printer, definitely

Game pad, certainly

MIDI controller

Control surfaces

High-end audio devices ( for recording)

Mass-storage devices.

Lest you claim that these devices wouldn't work without appropriate software, I would pointing that no one will write the software until the port exists.

BTW, I'd be perfectly happy with a dongle or cable solution, though having the port built in would encourage hardware and software developers.

It would be difficult, at best, to hold the iPad and use the devices you list at the same time. If you add the devices you list it would sort of go against the whole premise for iPad's existence which is simplicity of use (KISS) and portability. To do what you appear to want to, wouldn't you be better off with a more traditional computer?
  • Reply 69 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

It would be difficult, at best, to hold the iPad and use the devices you list at the same time. If you add the devices you list it would sort of go against the whole premise for iPad's existence which is simplicity of use (KISS) and portability. To do what you appear to want to, wouldn't you be better off with a more traditional computer?

Lighting or sound equipment control is niche stuff, but it would be very interesting. For those uses, you'd probably have a special cradle or even a dedicated iPad. I know of one organization that was thinking of installing iPads into walls for room controls and communications. I don't know the specifics though. They decided to use some other, more expensive product with smaller screens for reasons unknown to me.
  • Reply 70 of 115
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Congrats, you won the precious idiot of the month award. And it's only the 1st day of Nov.

LOLz. It's October. Not ragging on you or anything but it just didn't come off...with the wrong month there.
  • Reply 71 of 115
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

businesses are not all eager to turn over their confidential data to the cloud.

Whilst this may be true, I would posit that one of the reasons the iPad has been picked up by enterprise is specifically for the lack of features/gripes the consumers/trolls (!) seem to be mentioning.

When talking about "cloud computing" and the enterprise, this is really a misnomer, as yes, there are equivalents - called "intranets" and "servers", but no, no sensible company would use dropbox or google, of course not. The concept of remote data storage and access is really not a new one, and terms like "the cloud" just muddy the waters.

For one, the lack of cameras has been a breath of fresh air o the security-conscious who have been disallowing iPhones and their ilk for some time. The lack of USB, file system and great web-based support have similarly limited one of the biggest security threats in the enterprise - USB thumb/flash drives containing sensitive data. Of course, it could be emailed or copied somehow (although most enterprises have custom apps that link into their intranet instead of websites), but these activities are much easier to log and track.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    Quote:

The USB thing is so stupid. What do people expect they'd to be able to plug into it if there was a USB port? Mouse? Printer? Scanner? Gamepad? Even if it had a USB port, 99% of the things you'd try to plug into it wouldn't work or make any sense.

The only thing I can think of is a USB memory card reader or memory stick for copying files in and out of the thing. But I am just guessing. I don't know what the 51% surveyed was thinking. I do sometimes wish I could move pictures taken from my iPhone to my iPad so I could do some editing, but that is a slippery slope: I'll soon want to do the same for video, etc. Pretty soon, you're talking about syncing between iPhone and iPad. Syncing between iOS devices you own is possible today, but you have to have iTunes running on a computer.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Yeah, I?m the idiot?
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Quote:

So?a bunch of iPad owners are Luddites? Weird.

I think they explained that if you are predisposed to really using a new category of device like the iPad, you are more likely to buy it during the first two months.

Don't forget that a majority of iPad users surveyed who bought their device later were still "very satisfied" with it.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Try StreamToMe / ServeToMe -- love it!

Hi Dick,

I looked at the info for it but saw no mention of it playing back mp3 or aac files. Does it do this for you? If it does, that would do.

Thanks.
  • Reply 76 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My biggest issue is Safari. Say I start a post, write a few lines and I decide to double check something I'm about to say, so I open another Safari window and look it up. I switch back to my post and Safari reloads the page and the post window is cleared of any entered text.

I can’t believe this still isnt’ resolved. If you don’t recall, that is the primary reason I returned it.

And here is a very detail article on the odd page limit cache size for the iPad, and only the iPad which apparently is the cause for all these issues.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This is still a problem even the 4.2 beta doesn't solve it. However, sometimes when I go back to Safari the page doesn't reload!

Nuts!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There are a couple of things Apple could do to fix this:

1) Smart Safari -- if you've modified anything on a page, save a clipboard image of the page area modified. Then reload it on return to that page.

2) Implement a multi-level clipboard system wide, combined with the above:

-- Start a reply to a post

-- leave Safari for another app, or access another Safari page: above is auto saved to the clipboard.

-- in another app or page you copy/paste to a new clipboard entry or directly into an existing clipboard entity

-- and just go "waltzing off to Withywindel"

Or use a 3rd-party browser which is what I’ll be doing.
  • Reply 77 of 115
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Stating the bleeding obvious but I imagine most would like to plug a digital camera directly into their iPads to view/download photos and videos.
  • Reply 78 of 115
    Quote:

Quote:

Some people want to stick to USB even though there are better solutions available. AirPrint and AirPlay, for example, will make USB unnecessary on the iPad.

I can't wait to see your opinion change when the next iPad has USB and Steve spends 45 minutes on stage displaying a sample of the new things a few developers have done with USB.

For example: There's a local sub shop that still, over forty years after it opened, doesn't accept credit cards (cash only). Say it wants to start taking plastic at some point. I've been thinking of how to implement that with iPads as replacement cash registers. (The iPads would allow the shop to write a custom, private app to show cashiers any online orders coming in, if they wish to implement such a system.)

As far as I know, you'd need the following equipment at each register (there are two):

1. iPad

2. Dock with built-in keyboard

3. Receipt printer

4. Manual money tray

5. Countertop credit card device with user-visible capacitive display, to show purchases made and a place for signatures

6. NFC-based iPhone payment device (optional; may be built into credit card device)

AirPrint could connect the receipt printer, but not the credit card machine. That would require a USB port.

(No, I don't work for the shop.)
  • Reply 79 of 115
    igonzigonz Posts: 10member
    Quote:

So, all you anti-USB Steve worshipers, please explain to the 51% who want it,

HOW WILL ADDING USB PORTS HURT THE PRODUCT FOR THOSE WHO DONT WANT THEM?

I am not anti-usb at all. I don't care if they put one in or not.

What I don't understand is why would someone buy an iPad knowing that it does not have a USB port or other functions and complain?

People joked about it being a large iPod touch but I knew that was exactly what I wanted since I bought my first 2gen iPod touch 2 years ago.

Personally i would have just waited until the other tablets come out this year. But considering the top secret battery info left out of the specs for these devices I assume that the battery life must be really bad or the same as a notebook.
  • Reply 80 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by takeo View Post

the usb thing is so stupid. What do people expect they'd to be able to plug into it if there was a usb port? Mouse? Printer? Scanner? Gamepad? Even if it had a usb port, 99% of the things you'd try to plug into it wouldn't work or make any sense.

storage ?