Microsoft may use Windows Phone 7 event to show off tablets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Wow so Windows Phone 7 not only has to get the phone parts right, now somehow between it and Windows 7 it's supposed to do tablets as well?

Yeahh

Right
  • Reply 22 of 73
    For the record you have to check out this interview with Paul Thurrott. Not only is it funny, but seriously as well, Paul Thurrott claims Windows Phone 7 will surpass RIM and Symbian to sit at NO.3 behind iOS and Android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9r9ZkqLMSs
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Leave it to microsoft to design a tablet OS that requires the tablet to have a "control-alt-delete" button on the side.

And BSOD Wallpaper/ScreenSaver.

IMO, it would be beyond stupid to show anything at this event but the new phone and its OS.

Why steal thunder from your own announcement?

• Reply 24 of 73
    For the record I'm an Apple developer and iOS believer, but my day job is IT.

Microsoft owns this space and say what you will, they deliver. Windows Phone 7 has a huge leg up in the business market by virtue of the well established Microsoft ecosystem there. RIM is coasting on its email monopoly of a decade ago, Android is non-existent, and Apple iOS is just beginning to break in to wide use for Liine Of Business applications.

Windows Phone 7 could very well find success there to surpass RIM and Android, and maybe even give Apple a good run for their money.

In the consumer space, not so much. But we'll see.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

You actually have to press a button on the side of this thing to get the keyboard to appear and then press is again to make it go away?

... Not only that, but rumor has it that there also is a "KeyPress" button:

-- When you want to type a character, say an "n", you must first press the "KeyPress" button, then the "n" key.

-- A dialog appears that asks if you wanted to press the "n" key.

-- You must press the "KeyPress" enter key combo to accept

-- or the "KeyPress" delete combo to cancel

Yeah, that's it!

• Reply 26 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For the record you have to check out this interview with Paul Thurrott. Not only is it funny, but seriously as well, Paul Thurrott claims Windows Phone 7 will surpass RIM and Symbian to sit at NO.3 behind iOS and Android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9r9ZkqLMSs

WinMo , which we never hear about these days, still has a lot more marketshare than I would expect. So if MS can make a modern mobile OS they could take some marketshare from the Enterprise, namely RiM, and marketshare from the "licensed" mobile OS market, namely Android, they could have a hit on their hands. While I can see a slight path that could make them te 3rd largest I don't see that as being at the expense of Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Microsoft owns this space and say what you will, they deliver. Windows Phone 7 has a huge leg up in the business market by virtue of the well established Microsoft ecosystem there. RIM is coasting on its email monopoly of a decade ago, Android is non-existent, and Apple iOS is just beginning to break in to wide use for Liine Of Business applications.

Windows Phone 7 could very well find success there to surpass RIM and Android, and maybe even give Apple a good run for their money.

In the consumer space, not so much. But we'll see.

I think WP7 may surprise with more success than people expect. I think their tiles UI is actually pretty slick.

MS will need to update their software to match features of iOS and Android. The big missing feature IMO is their lack of HTML 5 support. Not being able to watch you tube videos on your WP7 phone will hurt them with some users.

While MS may own the enterprise space, consumers are driving the mobile space. Apple is rapidly gaining adoption of iOS devices in enterprise because users simply want more user friendly devices and are demanding them. If not, MS would have not have abandoned their old Win Mobile OS. But they've seen the handwriting on the wall and know that they must appeal to consumers and not just IT admins. So I guess I differ with you in that if the WP7 doesn't appeal to consumers its won't find much success in the enterprise space.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    FAIL.. if it's a W7 tablet. I don't see why anyone would buy a W7 tablet instead of just a netbook or laptop..

I'd rather see WP7 on a tablet. I might consider buying one.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

More competition in the profitless corner of the smartphone market.

History shows that teaching your customers to be loyal only to the lowest price is a losing strategy.

From everything I've read it looks like MS is being very particular with whom they license to and what HW is used. I have to say, so far every business decision MS is making with WP7, at least the ones I've privy to, looks brilliant.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think WP7 may surprise with more success than people expect. I think their tiles UI is actually pretty slick.

Though I think the new UI was a step in the right direction for them as far as consumers are concerned, I think it will be less popular in the enterprise sector. IMO, the UI seems to be more friendly from a social aspect, but less so from a business aspect.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    The myth seems to be that two very specific things were left out of what Balmer said - on purpose..

1) What Christmas he was talking about - this next one or the one in 2044..

2) The tablets he will introduce will probably be either Dell's devices or HP.. IF your believe for one minute that Microshaft is going to compete with it's two biggest Whender's customers, your nuts..

Either plan says Microshaft FAILS AGAIN!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:

MS will need to update their software to match features of iOS and Android. The big missing feature IMO is their lack of HTML 5 support. Not being able to watch you tube videos on your WP7 phone will hurt them with some users.

While MS may own the enterprise space, consumers are driving the mobile space. Apple is rapidly gaining adoption of iOS devices in enterprise because users simply want more user friendly devices and are demanding them. If not, MS would have not have abandoned their old Win Mobile OS. But they've seen the handwriting on the wall and know that they must appeal to consumers and not just IT admins. So I guess I differ with you in that if the WP7 doesn't appeal to consumers its won't find much success in the enterprise space.

BUT WILL WINDOWS PHONE 7 HAVE FLASH? Seriously, where is Flash on smartphones, why do all the new smartphones being announced not have Flash???
  • Reply 33 of 73
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

BUT WILL WINDOWS PHONE 7 HAVE FLASH? Seriously, where is Flash on smartphones, why do all the new smartphones being announced not have Flash???

You know the answer to that.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:

You know the answer to that.

It's only October 2010.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:

Looks like no Flash for Win7 phones.

http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/s...artphones.html
  • Reply 36 of 73
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I can't make out from the article if the rumor suggests a Windows Mobile 7 tablet or a Windows Tablet. The latter is likely to be a non-starter, the former seems to be a bit premature, in that MS has been struggling just to get their phone OS to market. I don't think there's been time since the breakout success of the iPad to optimize WinMo 7 for a tablet, and prior to the iPad's breakout success there's nothing to suggest that MS even thought that was worth doing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

WinMo , which we never hear about these days, still has a lot more marketshare than I would expect. So if MS can make a modern mobile OS they could take some marketshare from the Enterprise, namely RiM, and marketshare from the "licensed" mobile OS market, namely Android, they could have a hit on their hands. While I can see a slight path that could make them te 3rd largest I don't see that as being at the expense of Apple.

Doesn't breaking compatibility with prior iterations of WinMo kind of put a crimp in that, though? I realize that there are development tools across devices, but WinMo 7 is pretty new to be easily slotting into the installed ecosystem, isn't it? (Asking, don't know).
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Cannot wait to install internet security software on this baby !

LMFAO what garbage, oh or get myself the latest Stuxnet Worm..... MSFT = Fail
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From everything I've read it looks like MS is being very particular with whom they license to and what HW is used. I have to say, so far every business decision MS is making with WP7, at least the ones I've privy to, looks brilliant.

soli, they are and rightly so. I think they have a glimmer of a concept that they are potentially behind the eightball in the mobile market. Take for example the statement by Thurott that claims Windows Phone 7 will surpass RIM and Symbian to sit at NO.3 behind iOS and Android. The fact that Thurott, who is arguably as much a Redmond droid as Enderle or more so, cannot get his market standings straight, indicates the level of understanding there. iOS will not be the majority market segment at any time unless there are at least two major failures. Nokia and RIM are the leaders with Android vying to unseat Blackberry. But its the install base that needs to be sopken to not some sales volume vaporstat, which is what most reporters and pundits seem to ignore.

More to your point. Microsoft has to do this well and aggressively. They have to come out swinging, and Android is their first target. Apple is on there, well because Ballmer hates Apple. But look at the lawsuits, and the erosion caused by Android. Redmond will force licensing on all the handset makers via lawsuit, and the Android OS will no longer be "free" to the handset makers. They will work out incentivised deal for the handset makers to use WinP7 over Android, and then perhaps go after RIM. Why RIM? Well RIM has established itself in the enterprise space - which is where the Microsoft cash cattle thrive. With WinP7 phones able to direct access Exchange services, they will seek to erode RIM's BES installed base.

But yeah. They need to, they HAVE to do this right. Failure is not an option.
  • Reply 39 of 73

In order for a MS tablet to succeed, it must have an "improper" OS.

... Seriously!

• Reply 40 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... Not only that, but rumor has it that there also is a "KeyPress" button:

-- When you want to type a character, say an "n", you must first press the "KeyPress" button, then the "n" key.

-- A dialog appears that asks if you wanted to press the "n" key.

-- You must press the "KeyPress" enter key combo to accept

-- or the "KeyPress" delete combo to cancel

Yeah, that's it!

I presume this is the simplified version ... missing out the various other windows that pop in front of those dialogs you mention with comments like "You are not connected to the internet" (when you are) and "new hardware found" (even though you haven't added any) and "New updates are ready to install" and "Your database is out of date" (because you haven't used it in three minutes. Plus of course, several saying you must restart.