Microsoft may use Windows Phone 7 event to show off tablets

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Looking an the demo of the WP7 phone there were several nice things, and some that, well, I question.

I agree with that

Quote:

--I like the lock screen with all the current and timely info in one place.

I think this is one big selling point, and what some of the commercials are highlighting. The catch phrase that is being use is "glance and go" (compared to "stop and star") with iOS and Android.

Quote:

-- the titles that don't quite fit on the screen... not so much. I understand it's cool from an artsy-fartsy standpoint, but it grabs too much precious screen real estate.

I can see what you are saying, but this is one of the personal preference things. Some will like it, some won't

Quote:

-- I like the big tiles... I think. The color was Fugly (but probably user setting).

Supposedly the color is user selectable.

Quote:

-- I wonder what the battery cost is, of continuously updating several tiles backgrounds

Yes, this will be a critical issue.

Quote:

-- I am not sure where the dividing line is between tiled apps (key system-provided apps) and all other apps... it appeared that all other apps were in a single scrollable list below all the tiles

I am not sure you quite get the idea of the tiles. Each tile is a "hub" where information is centralized. So, for the People tile, you have all your contact information, but also each person's Facebook, Twitter, etc information all integrated into one place. As such, you get updated information from all sources in the tile. The list view of apps are the apps themselves, which have segregated information (e.g., contacts = contacts, facebook = facebook). So the tile = contacts + facebook + twitter + etc

Quote:

-- the iPhone UI isn't as eye-catching because I am used to it... that doesn't necessarily make it passé, rather just comfortable.

True enough, but many people, including those in the press. are looking for new and novel. A different way of looking at it is, just look at all the posts on the board complaining that Android "copied" iOS. At least that is not the case here.

Quote:

-- I don't particularly like how iOS handles folders, but it's better than nothing

True enough.

Quote:

-- We have hundreds of apps on our iPhones and iPads and neither the multiple screen or folder implementation does the job

Let me ask, how many of the apps do you really use? I have 60-70, but to be honest, I only ever use about 6 on a regular basis. This is one reason I think the whole app store issue is overblown (fyi, I do not consider games as apps, I put them in a separate category).

Quote:

-- I don't know how WP7, or Android addresses this problem

I think the tiles handles this.

Quote:

-- what about printing and exchanging files with your computer or other mobile devices.

WP7 is cloud based. You have a MS live account, and it ALL syncs through that. It seems to work reasonably well. I use their cloud service for files via Windows live Mesh, and it works like a charm for my Mac.

Quote:

-- It seemed odd that, this being a MS demo, at a MS booth, the device didn't have any music, video, games or apps available

The clip says that no one had a Zune account. I flipped through the Zune marketplace, and it is pretty comparable to iTunes in terms of breadth and maybe depth of content.

Quote:

-- What I saw looked solid and responsive with good attention to detail... That is impressive

It should be interesting.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:

Re: EndNote. Is this something you would really run on a Tablet with limited HDD storage. Rather, wouldn't you run EndNote in the Cloud or on your home or business computer -- then access the results from your tablet to add to a document?

I am not sure. The Endnote website does not recommend using Pages on an iPad at this time. It says that the code gets converted to text, and does not get back converted. So, I cannot take a manuscript and work on it when I travel. So, at the current time I either take a netbook (short trip) or my 15" MBP, which I do not like lugging around.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I think this is one big selling point, and what some of the commercials are highlighting. The catch phrase that is being use is "glance and go" (compared to "stop and star") with iOS and Android.

Exactly! You grab your phone, see what's happening with little or no effort -- then delve deeper, or, likely 95% of the time, move on.

Quote:

I am not sure you quite get the idea of the tiles. Each tile is a "hub" where information is centralized. So, for the People tile, you have all your contact information, but also each person's Facebook, Twitter, etc information all integrated into one place. As such, you get updated information from all sources in the tile. The list view of apps are the apps themselves, which have segregated information (e.g., contacts = contacts, facebook = facebook). So the tile = contacts + facebook + twitter + etc

Ahh... Big fat folders -- thanks for 'splaining that. I like it!

Quote:

Let me ask, how many of the apps do you really use? I have 60-70, but to be honest, I only ever use about 6 on a regular basis. This is one reason I think the whole app store issue is overblown (fyi, I do not consider games as apps, I put them in a separate category).

On the iPhone, very few.

The iPad is a totally different story -- I probably use 15-20 in a typical week (excluding games).

We have 2 iPads and they are used by 2 adults and 3 children -- so there is a wide variety of interest, medical, art, music, education...

These come and go, the way games wax and wane in their usage. Here's a recent example: we discovered that the youngest boy could not tell time on an analog clock -- he was sick and missed the class when it was taught (a couple of years ago). He was too embarassed to tell anyone. We told him to never be embarassed by what you don't know.

There are several apps for that. We bought one and he has been using it every day... Getting good at telling time.

Quote:

It should be interesting.

Agree!

I do not like MS, the company (personal experience) and do not much care for their software (Excel and SQL Server, excepted).

But as my grandma would have said: "You dasen't underestimate them!"

• Reply 64 of 73
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Exactly! You grab your phone, see what's happening with little or no effort -- then delve deeper, or, likely 95% of the time, move on.

Ahh... Big fat folders -- thanks for 'splaining that. I like it!

On the iPhone, very few.

The iPad is a totally different story -- I probably use 15-20 in a typical week (excluding games).

We have 2 iPads and they are used by 2 adults and 3 children -- so there is a wide variety of interest, medical, art, music, education...

These come and go, the way games wax and wane in their usage. Here's a recent example: we discovered that the youngest boy could not tell time on an analog clock -- he was sick and missed the class when it was taught (a couple of years ago). He was too embarassed to tell anyone. We told him to never be embarassed by what you don't know.

There are several apps for that. We bought one and he has been using it every day... Getting good at telling time.

Agree!

I do not like MS, the company (personal experience) and do not much care for their software (Excel and SQL Server, excepted).

But as my grandma would have said: "You dasen't underestimate them!"

The greatest problem of Microsoft now is execution. If what you guys are reporting here is true, Microsoft does have a winner in it's hands in the mobile arena.

Unfortunately for Microsoft though, the mobile industry is a hundred times unforgiving than the computer industry and Microsoft's reputation in the mobile world is not what we can call exemplary. They have to execute perfectly to gain market share from Goggle because they share the same telecom manufacturers and soon, the same carriers with the added burden of playing nice with those cell phone manufacturers and telecom companies.

As for the UI, Microsoft have at least three years to make their own mobile UI that is better than Apple's current iOS UI and I have no doubt that it's more user friendly in theory than Apple's current iOS or Google's Android. My question is this, how fast can Microsoft react to changes in the mobile industry especially when Apple or Goggle decides to rock the mobile boat again.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

The greatest problem of Microsoft now is execution. If what you guys are reporting here is true, Microsoft does have a winner in it's hands in the mobile arena.

Unfortunately for Microsoft though, the mobile industry is a hundred times unforgiving than the computer industry and Microsoft's reputation in the mobile world is not what we can call exemplary. They have to execute perfectly to gain market share from Goggle because they share the same telecom manufacturers and soon, the same carriers with the added burden of playing nice with those cell phone manufacturers and telecom companies.

As for the UI, Microsoft have at least three years to make their own mobile UI that is better than Apple's current iOS UI and I have no doubt that it's more user friendly in theory than Apple's current iOS or Google's Android. My question is this, how fast can Microsoft react to changes in the mobile industry especially when Apple or Goggle decides to rock the mobile boat again.

Yes!

Now that I understand that the tiles act as hubs for related apps, I think that that UI could be superior to anything I have yet seen in iOS, WebOS or Android.

It will be interesting to see how MS incorporates multitasking into their UI -- I don't particularly care for the iOS implementation (which I use) or the Android implementation (which I have seen demoed).

I think that the iOS UI has evolved slowly -- to allow incorporation of multitasking as well as the different form factor of a tablet (and AppleTV).

I suspect that, soon, Apple will look around and incorporate ideas from Android, WebOS and WP7-- as well as their browser, their apps and their desktop OS.

Done properly, there can be a synergy between web, apps, mobile and desktop UIs.

MSFT and Apple are the only companies with an offering in all 4 spaces (5, if you count TV).

... A distinct opportunity for success (or failure).

• Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:

Yes!

Now that I understand that the tiles act as hubs for related apps, I think that that UI could be superior to anything I have yet seen in iOS, WebOS or Android..

The tiles go beyond just being "super folders" for apps, but rather integrate the information from apps into a new entity. There was a youtube video where this guy created a hub dedicated to his wife. The hub updated as his wife did various online activities, like posting on her Facebook page, changing their calendar and sending him a text. So all that information updated in real time for her tile.

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how MS incorporates multitasking into their UI -- I don't particularly care for the iOS implementation (which I use) or the Android implementation (which I have seen demoed).

True, but IMO, multitasking is not all that important. Cut and paste is not really an issue for 75% of WP7 because of the way they implement things. So, if you go to a restaurant's webpage, and then Bing, it inserts the address automatically, and then if you text a friend it inserts the webpage and directions

Quote:

MSFT and Apple are the only companies with an offering in all 4 spaces (5, if you count TV).

Exactly, which is why I think WP7 has a chance
  • Reply 67 of 73
    I dont think HP or windows tablet will outsell ipad... simply because MICROSOFT dont know the true meaning of why we need a tablet . Tablet is for touch for doing something mouse and keyboard cant do and giving users a new interactive ways to do something unexpected.

IPADS supports 11 points of muti-touches and apps are taking advantage of ipad's muti-touch . HP slate or windows tablets , what do they take advantage?? They dont have muti-touch more than 4!!! and they run the same crappy windows OS!! WHo wants to use the tablet in an experience that is the same as a NETBOOK!!

unless tablets support over 11 muti-touches and specially written apps designed for the tablet, i wonder how other ipad competitors can beat apple!!

And if u can see , when u touch hp slate , u see a mouse pointer!! Come on, this little thing shows how microsoft didnt THINK!! what is the use of having a cursor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! microsoft always put stupid useless things on their crappy products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

I dont think HP or windows tablet will outsell ipad... simply because MICROSOFT dont know the true meaning of why we need a tablet . Tablet is for touch for doing something mouse and keyboard cant do and giving users a new interactive ways to do something unexpected.

IPADS supports 11 points of muti-touches and apps are taking advantage of ipad's muti-touch . HP slate or windows tablets , what do they take advantage?? They dont have muti-touch more than 4!!! and they run the same crappy windows OS!! WHo wants to use the tablet in an experience that is the same as a NETBOOK!!

unless tablets support over 11 muti-touches and specially written apps designed for the tablet, i wonder how other ipad competitors can beat apple!!

And if u can see , when u touch hp slate , u see a mouse pointer!! Come on, this little thing shows how microsoft didnt THINK!! what is the use of having a cursor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! microsoft always put stupid useless things on their crappy products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The number of concurrent multi-touches recognized is very important to some applications.

Are you sure that other tablets are limited to 4 multi-touches?

I can see that it could be a limit of the OS, especially a desktop OS like Windows.

Does anyone know what the limit is for Android? For WP7?

I suspect that OS X support for multi-touch could be the same as iOS.

• Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:

The number of concurrent multi-touches recognized is very important to some applications.

Are you sure that other tablets are limited to 4 multi-touches?

I can see that it could be a limit of the OS, especially a desktop OS like Windows.

Does anyone know what the limit is for Android? For WP7?

I suspect that OS X support for multi-touch could be the same as iOS.

Frankly , i dont think this hp slate will support muti-touch more than 2 .. HP touchsmart desktop only supports 4 points without very beautiful apps to take advantage of it as windows os sucks!!!!
  • Reply 70 of 73
    This tablet is so STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scolling up and down = hightlight the text!! (as u see in the video) come on!! why brings the same mouse experience on touching a device!! When I scoll down on ipads, mistakely hightlighting text WILL never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WINDOWS tablet is not as responsive as an ipad and always do stupid things hightlighing mistakenly - all of this trouble will make WINDOWS tablets BIG failure.

WHEN Will microsoft wake up!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 71 of 73
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Yes!

Now that I understand that the tiles act as hubs for related apps, I think that that UI could be superior to anything I have yet seen in iOS, WebOS or Android.

I think that the iOS UI has evolved slowly -- to allow incorporation of multitasking as well as the different form factor of a tablet (and AppleTV).

I suspect that, soon, Apple will look around and incorporate ideas from Android, WebOS and WP7-- as well as their browser, their apps and their desktop OS.

Done properly, there can be a synergy between web, apps, mobile and desktop UIs.

I agree, But Apple unlike Microsoft controls the whole widget and is more than willing to take risks than Microsoft as a company and whose CEO is more than willing to say no to feature creep . In the end I think, Apple will do very well in both profits and marketshare and Microsoft will do just fine as well.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

The tiles go beyond just being "super folders" for apps, but rather integrate the information from apps into a new entity. There was a youtube video where this guy created a hub dedicated to his wife. The hub updated as his wife did various online activities, like posting on her Facebook page, changing their calendar and sending him a text. So all that information updated in real time for her tile.

It's not all just updates though, as I understand the 'Peoples Hub' - the equivalent of the Contacts/Address Book allows you to actually post comments and updates from this space. I am actually impressed with this, as it removes the requirement to open up a separate Facebook or Messenger app. It can all be done from one spot.

The same with the Photograph Hub, it actually aggregates all you photos whether on your phone or the cloud, or on Facebook or Flickr into one spot. You are also able to comment on photos direct from the hub and it's added automatically to the 3rd party service in question.

Certainly, I can see a lot of possibilities with the Hub - User interface concept. The thing is, this is a completely new OS, built ground-up from this concept - I begin to wonder how iOS will evolve. Can it retrofit some of these concepts?

People have been tagging iOS (and Android) as 'App centric' whereas WP7 is 'User centric' - which I suppose is more or less accurate, iOS approach is tried and tested, but I do wonder about it's evolution, with WP7, IF it's successful, I foresee many interesting possibilities with the way the OS has been created:- If I want to view a contact or friend, I go to the Peoples Hub, from there I can phone or text them, so far so good, but I can also view their social network updates and reply to them directly. I can also email them, located their address and get directions. I don't need to open separate social network apps, the email app and map/direction app.

The only question I have is the hardware - I look forward to seeing what they have on offer.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    The windows phone 7 ui looks like lotus notes.

I wonder if Ray Ozzie gave them the idea.

Time will tell.