Verizon, Apple quarreled over iPhone retail options, digital content

Comments

• Reply 21 of 222
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

So it's okay for Lord Verizon to force their rubbish onto your phone? I have yet to see a single in-mobile phone purchase offered from a telco that is worth anything more than rubbish "top of the charts" ringtones and postage-size, blurry videos.

My previous phones before iPhone was loaded with all sorts of nonsense and the telcos had their sway in their software and offerings I wasn't remotely interested in.

I like my phones un-raped nowadays.

Again, if one could simple delete a Verizon app, who cares... Speaking of offering that aren't remotely interesting, why can't we still remove Apple apps???
  • Reply 22 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You know what Apple's strength is? They have a strong business plan, a controlled user experience which ensures user safety, operating stability and optimal handling for the hardware.

The CEO of any company gets the final say about how and where the company's products are sold. It has nothing to do with "Godhood", and I'd ask that you maybe didn't blaspheme.

A controlled user experience. Otherwise known as a walled garden.

Sorry for the blaspheme. No offense intended in this particular case. I'll have to think of a synonym. How about delusions of grandeur??
  • Reply 23 of 222
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I realize that -- considering the huge growth in the copy-cat Android market -- Apple probably needs to do this deal with Verizon.

That said, Apple is 100% right to draw a line in the sand over Verizon's V Cast store. That's the technique VZW uses to lock down all the other Verizon phones (yes, even Android phones) and that is not what made the iPhone the best smartphone ever designed. Verizon wouldn't know a good UI design if it hit them over the head...

If Verizon wants to have a separate V Cast app for the iPhone and do their video that way, that would be OK. But to replace the iTunes infrastructure with their pathetic "store" would be a disaster.
  • Reply 24 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is a typical Apple blunder, where they'll negotiate only after they're utterly desperate. Had they negotiated and signed a contract back in '08 or even '09, Verizon would've not had this kind on arm-twisting rights.

Why did Apple extend the AT&T contract that pushed them into a corner, is beyond me.

Do you have specific details of the terms of that exclusive AT&T iPhone deal? Or just assumptions and innuendo?
  • Reply 25 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apple is 100% right to draw a line in the sand over Verizon's V Cast store. That's the technique VZW uses to lock down all the other Verizon phones (yes, even Android phones) and that is not what made the iPhone the best smartphone ever designed.

Not making a deal with Verizon was a terrible mistake on Jobs' part. As Android gets stronger it will continue to bite Apple on the ass. Apple could have had it all in the smartphone space. I'm not saying it was as big a blunder as letting Microsoft get the upper hand with the desktop, but Apple could have done much better had they opened up the phone to all carriers right from the start.

As far as the best designed smartphone, that's only true if it's in a case.
  • Reply 26 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You included several rolling eyes in your post like I said something foolish. I'm supposed to know the percentage of Apps that crash before I'm allowed to post here?

Okay. Give me an hour or so. I'm going to download every app in the store and test them one at a time and figure out the percentage of Apps that crash.

Lord knows I wouldn't want my posts to appear emotional and uninformed. I want to sound intelligent. Like all of my forum friends here.

That's a brilliant idea of you. See you back in this forum when you are done with the first 100'000 apps.
  • Reply 27 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Again, if one could simple delete a Verizon app, who cares... Speaking of offering that aren't remotely interesting, why can't we still remove Apple apps???

And what if there are two Verizon crapware apps installed? What about just one than that? And one more? What about a dozen crapware apps? You can say that one isn?t a lot, and you?d be right, but one needs to look at the big picture and know when the demarcation point needs to be to prevent future issues from arising.
  • Reply 28 of 222
    Quote:

Do you have specific details of the terms of that exclusive AT&T iPhone deal? Or just assumptions and innuendo?

I have them. I sweep up at ATT headquarters on the weekend. I'll get you a copy.
  • Reply 29 of 222
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LanPhantom View Post

Mark the Spot works just fine on my phone, no crashes here. Maybe it's your phone, have you tried restoring it and starting with a clean slate and reinstalling all your apps?

And as far as AT&T being a crap company, I think you should keep that in persepective. In some areas other carriers are better than AT&T, however where I live (WA and then UT) AT&T has worked very well. I have no complaints

I agree, I'm in TX and have had zero problems with AT&T's coverage or call quality.

As for Apple caving to Verizon's demands about V cast or whatever they want to peddle, I think it's ridiculous. If you recall, over the years Verizon has employed an interesting strategy of sometimes slamming the iPhone and Apple (to persuade buyers to come to Verizon) and then at other times saying they would love to sell it.

So first off, they need to pick a side and go with it. But, if they have finally decided they they do do want iPhone, then they need to be the ones who bend. Apple has the great device everyone wants, and as far as I am concerned, Verizon has no leverage. If they don't agree to Apple's terms then I hope Apple cuts them loose. I bet Sprint and/or T-Mobile would be happy to sell the iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

If Verizon was allowed to make one Vcast app that would be preinstalled on the iphone but have the ability to be deleted I would not mind it.

That, to me, seems like a fair compromise.

I think it's odd that Apple pre-loads the iTunes store app and won't allow you to delete it but doesn't even pre-load the iBooks app.

For that matter, I think it's odd that Apple won't allow you to delete Weather, Photos, Stocks, Voice Memos and Compass. I get that some of those are core apps, but Stocks?
  • Reply 31 of 222
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I see. So it's okay for Lord Jobs to partner with someone on their hobby but not on a "headliner product?" Wouldn't a headliner product make more money for the company than a "hobby?"

Hey, talk like a normal person, or I'm going to start deleting posts! I'm getting tired of your sarcastic remarks. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, that's fine, but leave the rest out.
  • Reply 32 of 222
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

You included several rolling eyes in your post like I said something foolish. I'm supposed to know the percentage of Apps that crash before I'm allowed to post here?

Okay. Give me an hour or so. I'm going to download every app in the store and test them one at a time and figure out the percentage of Apps that crash.

Lord knows I wouldn't want my posts to appear emotional and uninformed. I want to sound intelligent. Like all of my forum friends here.

I had to use rolling eyes because anything harsher could test the limits of the forum rules.

Look, you said you thought apps are not supposed to crash because Apple checks them, therefore if the AT&T app crashes it means AT&T is getting special consideration.

But anyone that uses iOS knows that despite whatever checking process, apps do on occasion crash, it's impossible for all of the 200,000+ apps on the App Store to never crash.

Thus, to suggest that the app crashing means AT&T is giving Steve some nice kickbacks, etc... is (I'll just use one this time) :-)
  • Reply 33 of 222
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

And here's one more...
  • Reply 34 of 222
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:

I was going by what was posted here on AppleInsider and other Mac sites. I did a quick search and found this Exclusive Contract
  • Reply 35 of 222
    Quote:

Not making a deal with Verizon was a terrible mistake on Jobs' part. As Android gets stronger it will continue to bite Apple on the ass. Apple could have had it all in the smartphone space. I'm not saying it was as big a blunder as letting Microsoft get the upper hand with the desktop, but Apple could have done much better had they opened up the phone to all carriers right from the start.

I'm not biting on your iPhone-4-bumper trolling. Sorry.

What Verizon would insist on would be along the lines of having a Verizon logo on the front and back, the phone would boot a Verizon logo instead of an Apple logo, the Apple interface would be modified to a Verizon-specific version with logos and apps that you can't move off the first screen. We'd have to use the Verizon version of a video player, the Verizon music player, only use ring tones bought from Verizon, and the apps will be crap designed by an engineer without the least bit of design background (not talking UI design, I mean *any* design).

The thing you don't seem to understand is that the UI is paramount to Apple; that's not the kind of thing they'd budge on -- and you also don't seem to understand why that's a good thing.
  • Reply 36 of 222
    Quote:

I see. So it's okay for Lord Jobs to partner with someone on their hobby but not on a "headliner product?" Wouldn't a headliner product make more money for the company than a "hobby?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hey, talk like a normal person, or I'm going to start deleting posts! I'm getting tired of your sarcastic remarks. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, that's fine, but leave the rest out.

Of all the things I said today, that was your example of talking like an abnormal person? Did I break any forum rules today? Did I attack anyone like I was repeatedly attacked yesterday? If not then why are you censoring me? Because of sarcasm? Do you read the other posts here?

Do what you have to do. This is the way I talk. It sounds normal to me.
  • Reply 37 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Right... All apps on the App Store never crash at all...

...and never submit updated versions with "bug fixes."
  • Reply 38 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I was going by what was posted here on AppleInsider and other Mac sites. I did a quick search and found this Exclusive Contract

Which, from what I can tell, is merely assumption and innuendo.
  • Reply 39 of 222
    Quote:

What Verizon would insist on would be along the lines of having a Verizon logo on the front and back, the phone would boot a Verizon logo instead of an Apple logo

The thing you don't seem to understand is that the UI is paramount to Apple; that's not the kind of thing they'd budge on -- and you also don't seem to understand why that's a good thing.

They could put the logo on the back. No one would see it if the phone is in a case As far as understanding a good thing, wouldn't it be a good thing for someone who lives in an area with no ATT coverage to be able to get an iPhone? It's really that simple when you look at it logically.
  • Reply 40 of 222
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

So the iPhone was wildly successful before it was released? Isn't that the time frame when the original negotiations took place?

There's that word again. Idiotic. We were using that word a lot yesterday. Why is letting Verizon make some money on the iPhone idiotic? Apple let ATT make a bag of cash by making them exclusive partners. Was that fair business??

Has it occurred to you that no carrier is everywhere? Has it occurred to you that there must be somebody on the planet that would like an iPhone with it's beautiful scratch prone glass body and innovative exterior antenna that drops calls when held naturally in your left hand. Hypothetically this person would not buy an iPhone until it is available on other carriers.

So Apple would sell more phones and make more profit for itself and it's shareholders and everybody would be happy. Everyone except the members of this forum.

Idiotic. Yeah, your right. It would be idiotic to allow V Cast on an iPhone. It would really ruin everything. Idiotic. Yes indeed.

Since you don't know anything about what happened, you can't make a statement as to why it did, or didn't. Many companies have expressed unhappiness about Verizon's requirements, but only Apple is willing to stand up to them. To you that's a bad thing, to almost everyone else, it's a good thing.

It's very possible that Apple would have allowed Verizon to put any app they wanted into the app store, as long as iPhone customers could download it only if they wanted it, and could delete it if not. From what we know, Verizon is requiring it on phones, and not allowing it to be removed. I can understand Apple not wanting to allow that. It would end the independence of the phone from carriers around the world, which is one of its biggest selling points.

IF this phone does come out on Verizon, we'll see what happened. Before then, it's just a guess.