Verizon, Apple quarreled over iPhone retail options, digital content

Comments

• Reply 41 of 222
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Not making a deal with Verizon was a terrible mistake on Jobs' part. As Android gets stronger it will continue to bite Apple on the ass. Apple could have had it all in the smartphone space. I'm not saying it was as big a blunder as letting Microsoft get the upper hand with the desktop, but Apple could have done much better had they opened up the phone to all carriers right from the start.

As far as the best designed smartphone, that's only true if it's in a case.

Quote:

I see. So it's okay for Lord Jobs to partner with someone on their hobby but not on a "headliner product?" Wouldn't a headliner product make more money for the company than a "hobby?"

Quote:

Of all the things I said today, that was your example of talking like an abnormal person? Did I break any forum rules today? Did I attack anyone like I was repeatedly attacked yesterday? If not then why are you censoring me? Because of sarcasm? Do you read the other posts here?

Do what you have to do. This is the way I talk. It sounds normal to me.

May I suggest you just remove the extra bits of your posts... eg. as marked in purple above.

Nite y'all.
  • Reply 42 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember that Apple has a a strict policy of not putting such apps, removable or otherwise, on their products. Their isn?t a single piece of crapware on any Mac. Not one trial version. They used to come with an iWork Trial, but that stopped as soon as Apple didn?t have to include the MS Office for Mac Test Drive anymore. Note: I just said that Apple doesn?t even promote its own iWork suite with a trial version on Macs.

Really? When did that policy start? The iMac I purchased a couple years ago most certainly had crapware on it. Some card game program, a kids game, a stupid cartoon chat program and more that I can't recall off hand.
  • Reply 43 of 222
    alunialuni Posts: 6member
    Quote:

So let Verizon sell their V Cast stuff on the iPhone. What's the big deal? Apple bent and put Netflix on the Apple TV.

You know what Apple's problem is? They can't partner with anyone because their CEO has delusions of Godhood.

You have your facts ALL WRONG!

1. Netflix was on the iPad and iphone before it was on Apple TV. So there was no bending backwards to support a new service.

2. Netflix on the the iPad was promoted as a killer app, and is still a major differentiator for the tablet.

3. Netflix uses a subscription model and offers mostly older, more indie content compared to itunes which offers new content - day-date with DVD releases and an HD rental market. With Netflix to rent the new content you have to order a DVD or Blu Ray....

4. Also, allowing Netflix on Apple TV has nothing to do with it being a hobby v. real business. It's there for the same reason it is on the iPad and iPhone. It's a great app! Customers love it. Simple as that.

In addition to Netflix, Apple also supports Hulu plus app and if you consider it as competition, YouTube has been available on the iphone since day 1.

Next time, try to be a little smarter about the facts before unloading your irrational emotional garbage on others!
  • Reply 44 of 222
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I think it's odd that Apple pre-loads the iTunes store app and won't allow you to delete it but doesn't even pre-load the iBooks app.

For that matter, I think it's odd that Apple won't allow you to delete Weather, Photos, Stocks, Voice Memos and Compass. I get that some of those are core apps, but Stocks?

Or like Voice Memos on an iPod Touch

Quote:

Not making a deal with Verizon was a terrible mistake on Jobs' part. As Android gets stronger it will continue to bite Apple on the ass. Apple could have had it all in the smartphone space. I'm not saying it was as big a blunder as letting Microsoft get the upper hand with the desktop, but Apple could have done much better had they opened up the phone to all carriers right from the start.

As far as the best designed smartphone, that's only true if it's in a case.

It will be a big blunder 2 years from now...

The copy cats will be very successfully spreading around their message of FUD. They are doing a very good job of it right now... Unlike Apple, all they are concerned with is how big of a radius they can spread around their slop. If Apple isn't interested in playing in the slop, they need to start to consider past the iPhone...
  • Reply 45 of 222
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Of all the things I said today, that was your example of talking like an abnormal person? Did I break any forum rules today? Did I attack anyone like I was repeatedly attacked yesterday? If not then why are you censoring me? Because of sarcasm? Do you read the other posts here?

Do what you have to do. This is the way I talk. It sounds normal to me.

It would sound normal to you, because you're the one writing it. Even you know it's trolling when you do it, and that's why people respond the way they do to you. It's your own fault. If you keep those remarks out of the conversation, you can get all your points across without getting people riled up. But you want them riled up. so, if I'm around when it's done, and I'm not always, I'll delete whatever I think requires it.

If you're not happy about that, you can complain to the admins about it.
  • Reply 46 of 222
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

why can't we still remove Apple apps???

That would ruin your User Experience.
  • Reply 47 of 222
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1728425]"The carrier is seeking to avoid the kind of public-relations hit that AT&T took when the boom in data-hungry iPhones overtaxed its network, especially in New York and San Francisco."[QUOTE]

"overtaxed"? Why the past tense? AT&T's network is still incredibly bad. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 attempts to get a call to go through or the call goes directly to voicemail. I can only hope that a ton of people will dump AT&T for Verizon (I can't) to alleviate the problem.
  • Reply 48 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Apple TV is a "hobby", and it's not exactly a headliner product for Apple or even a very popular one at that.

The iPhone, however, is one of their flagship brands and I just can't see them allowing VCast crap on the iPhone.

Netflix was a launch app on the iPad (or very close to launch). I would not call the iPad a hobby! It was there because it is an awesome app! Since Apple TV does not have an app store the only way to offer it is to have it pre-installed. Just like YouTube was on the original iphone (before it had an app store).
  • Reply 49 of 222
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Really? When did that policy start? The iMac I purchased a couple years ago most certainly had crapware on it. Some card game program, a kids game, a stupid cartoon chat program and more that I can't recall off hand.

I can't recall those programs when I bought two iMacs in 2008 for my daughter and my wife. What were the names of them?
  • Reply 50 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is a typical Apple blunder, where they'll negotiate only after they're utterly desperate. Had they negotiated and signed a contract back in '08 or even '09, Verizon would've not had this kind on arm-twisting rights....

What are you talking about?

Apple isn't "desperate," if anyone is, it's Verizon at the moment. The way these things go is that Apple tries to make a deal with Verizon and Verizon says no because of the above reasons. Apple then goes to AT&T and they say "yes." That's all there is to it. Once AT&T says yes, all the stuff about Apple hating Verizon or vice versa is just BS.

Verizon got first crack and they blew it. Anyone involved in negotiations knows that you don't always get the second round of discussions. Apple was shopping around looking for a partner. Once they found one that passed the spec, they went with it. Since the partner they had was acting normally and in good faith, they extended the contract. All of this is totally normal behaviour.
  • Reply 51 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Which, from what I can tell, is merely assumption and innuendo.

As I said, it was a quick search. you can spend more time and dig deeper.

It's not a disputed issue that Apple and AT&T had a contract that was later extended. It's the reason why the iPhone is still locked with AT&T otherwise, it would've worked with T-Mobile, which is possible after a jailbreak and an unlock.

UK, Europe, and Canada also had contracts that locked the iPhone with certain carriers. France's iPhone is open to all carriers WITHIN France only, due to the laws of the land.
  • Reply 52 of 222
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I think it's odd that Apple pre-loads the iTunes store app and won't allow you to delete it but doesn't even pre-load the iBooks app.

For that matter, I think it's odd that Apple won't allow you to delete Weather, Photos, Stocks, Voice Memos and Compass. I get that some of those are core apps, but Stocks?

The iTunes store app is the way to buy and download music or videos (and free podcasts) without being tethered to a computer. I've used it in a pinch a couple of times. No, you can't delete it, but you can move it to the back screen with the memo and compass and stock price apps, and you never have to use any them if you don't want to. (Can't you hide them all in a single folder in iOS 4 if they bother you?)

I use the photos app on a pretty regular basis: pictures of my kids mostly, and some downres'ed versions of my professional photography (from my Lightroom catalog, exported to iPhoto, then synced to my iPhone by "Event"). Plus, that's where the Camera Roll lives, if you ever use the iPhone's still or video camera.

I think (and this is just conjecture on my part) that the reason iBooks isn't a core app is to create the impression of allowing for other book reader apps. That was probably just a way to deflect attention from the EU in the fledgling ebook market.
  • Reply 53 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aluni View Post

You have your facts ALL WRONG! Next time, try to be a little smarter about the facts before unloading your irrational emotional garbage on others!

Yes, I'm completely wrong and you're completely right. There is no room for anyone else's opinions other than yours and the ones on this forum.

Please forgive me and don't tell the moderator or else I will be censored and banned.

Thank you for this informative, mature and not the least bit nasty post.
  • Reply 54 of 222
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I really don't think Verizon has any kind of leverage on this when it comes to a deal with Apple. The Vcast store can not even compare to Apple's app store in popularity or consumption, I dont know anyone that uses vcast for media, but I know plenty of people that buy apps everyday on their iPhone's.

Good luck to Verizon with their shiny new LTE network and no real handset to run it on, android phones are mediocre at best, and their market share is bolstered by Google giving away the OS for free and buy one get one free handset deals everywhere.
  • Reply 55 of 222
    Well, all I have to say is that Verizon always forces it's garbage system crashing software on phone manufacturers. I can NOT see Apple allowing it to be placed on the Iphone. I can't see Verizon really being in a position to "force" anything on Apple at this point. Apple has had worldwide success with it's Iphone through other carriers, and even though Verizon is the largest here, doesn't mean that they couldn't just go to Sprint, and open up other GSM carriers, and do just fine without compromising it's phone software. Should the Iphone end up on that horrid carrier, I can see it now...people will be just as frustrated with Verizon as they were with AT&T, only in other areas, such as Verizon data plans, then new tiered data plans that they are rolling out. The fact that things will be locked down and only accessible through it's nazi like program, V-Cast(YUCK!) I'm also sure that it's customers will be hit with double billing issues as since they will have to go through V-Cast to access oh I don't know Itunes? I know that people hate AT&T, I understand the want for another carrier, it's just a shame that it could be Verizon. They had their chance, they blew it. Now they very well could be getting the phone and I'll wait and watch for the show, because, I'm almost certain they'll be one. Sure you'll have better reception(till they upgrade to LTE) probably not in many buildings though(as was the case/reason with all the returns I processed for them) Another thing, Steve Jobs isn't like a God or anything as someone mentioned. He and his team created something that the entire world desires, so he is wanting to protect it, so people keep wanting it. By not allowing a carrier to erode away the vision that has become Iphone, is frankly what he should be doing as well as many other manufacturers(but don't) Yes, I was a manager for good old V*r*z** I do know somewhat of what I am saying. As far as my theory of how one will access Itunes over V-crap, is just that a theory and shouldn't be taken as a fact, but I think it's a good theory and I've heard others saying the same thing before I left. Ultimately we'll just have to wait and see, but for me, I'm not switching, not to over to them, I'll wait for Sprint if I switch at all. No haters please as like you all I'm entitled to my opinion, right or wrong.....peace
  • Reply 56 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is a typical Apple blunder, where they'll negotiate only after they're utterly desperate. Had they negotiated and signed a contract back in '08 or even '09, Verizon would've not had this kind on arm-twisting rights.

Why did Apple extend the AT&T contract that pushed them into a corner, is beyond me.

On hind sight. Apple is now the #1 valued technology company in the world. At the time the original iphone was released, Apple was valued below Google....today they are worth almost $90B more than Google and $50B more than Microsoft - that's B as in Billions!

So, if you look at this objectively, Apple's moves have been the right business ones. Also, ATT was valued below Verizon at the time of the iPhone deal. Today ATT is worth almost 2x as much as Verizon.

As for desperation....IF Verizon turns down the iphone, it will be released on Sprint and T-Mobile...the impact will be quite devastating for Verizon, to say the least. They'll have to dole out all sorts of favors to Motorola to stay in the handset market, which means it will push others like HTC and Samsung even closer to the other networks. Verizon cannot afford to not have the iphone. Not if the other 3 networks get it.
  • Reply 57 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple isn't "desperate," if anyone is, it's Verizon at the moment. The way these things go is that Apple tries to make a deal with Verizon and Verizon says no because of the above reasons. Apple then goes to AT&T and they say "yes." That's all there is to it. Once AT&T says yes, all the stuff about Apple hating Verizon or vice versa is just BS.

Verizon got first crack and they blew it. Anyone involved in negotiations knows that you don't always get the second round of discussions. Apple was shopping around looking for a partner. Once they found one that passed the spec, they went with it. Since the partner they had was acting normally and in good faith, they extended the contract. All of this is totally normal behaviour.

Apple is loosing market share to Android mainly due to the iPhone being locked-down to a single carrier. AT&T does not have good coverage in all areas, but Android does since it's open to ALL carriers.
  • Reply 58 of 222
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple isn't "desperate," if anyone is, it's Verizon at the moment. The way these things go is that Apple tries to make a deal with Verizon and Verizon says no because of the above reasons. Apple then goes to Cingular and they say "yes." That's all there is to it. Once Cingular says yes, all the stuff about Apple hating Verizon or vice versa is just BS.

T;FTFY.

• Reply 59 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

They should also skip this whole CDMA crap and go right to LTE. By the time this phone comes out Verizon will have 1/2 the country lit up with LTE.

As a longterm VZ wireless broadband customer, I have been getting regular updates from VZ regarding LTE. This week they even provided a coverage map that showed both EVDO RevA and LTE coverage that will exist on rollout. LTE is going to be fantastic IF you live in one of the 30 odd major metropolitan areas (fortunately I live in the DFW area), but if you live even remotely outside those areas, it will likely be another year or two after the initial rollout before LTE makes any real headway into the VZ goal of a total overlay of their existing EVDO network.

While building a CDMA only phone does add some complexity to the otherwise clean Apple iphone design, there are other carriers besides VZ using CDMA and at this point. Yes, I suspect that the next gen iphone will likely have a dual mode chip that allows Apple to once again build against a single design model, but in building a CDMA only model, Apple gets a few months of market penetration that otherwise would be left open to droid clones.
  • Reply 60 of 222
    Quote:

Yes, I'm completely wrong and you're completely right. There is no room for anyone else's opinions other than yours and the ones on this forum.

Please forgive me and don't tell the moderator or else I will be censored and banned.

Thank you for this informative, mature and not the least bit nasty post.

I put my comments in bullet points. They proved point by point why you are wrong. Please put some rational thought and respond.

Your basic point that Apple put Netflix on Apple TV and hence should allow VCast makes no sense. Apple put Netflix on the iPad and iphone before it made it to Apple TV. The only reason it is pre-installed on Apple TV is because Apple TV (unlike ipad and iphone and ipod) has no way to download apps from the app store...so it is pre-installed. The same way YouTube was pre-installed on the iphone.

I called your original rant 'emotional' because it was not based on any rational analysis of the facts.