iPad coming to Walmart stores next week - rumor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

The TV series Dallas finished up in 1991, so it may have been a long time since you've been exposed to American-style snobbery. For a more recent, entertaining take on that way it's done here, you may enjoy the following read, published last year:

http://www.amazon.com/Madness-Under-...6648509&sr=1-1

Thanks for the link, looks interesting ... however, it sounds more like something my (American) wife would enjoy. I had enough of the real thing growing up in the UK lol! My fictional reading taste is more Richard K Morgan BTW I always saw Dallas as a comedy ...??
  • Reply 42 of 127
    Apple products always have been regraded as niche, upmarket and 'expensive' but there bound to be a few of them that could be categorise as mass market product and iPad, iPhone and iPod are precisely that. And it need all the coverage it can get (bar 99 cents/pence store or 7-Eleven) to stay ahead/level with the competitors. Vending machine is next once OTA payment is commonplace.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Apple products always have been regraded as niche, upmarket and 'expensive' but there bound to be a few of them that could be categorise as mass market product and iPad, iPhone and iPod are precisely that. And it need all the coverage it can get (bar 99 cents/pence store or 7-Eleven) to stay ahead/level with the competitors. Vending machine is next once OTA payment is commonplace.

Totally agree, I wrote weeks ago Airports should have iPads in vending machines that take credit cards. I can well imagine the use of many business credit cards being justified for long flights

p.s. in this enlightened age shouldn't that rather long location you have say 'Queendom?'
  • Reply 44 of 127
    Too bad these big box resellers can't provide an ounce of support for their customers. As an Apple Reseller, we get people that bring in their iPads bought elsewhere, and then expect us, for no charge, to help them out when they have problems.

Buy the product from us, and we're glad to help. Buy it somewhere else, and we've got to charge you for the help. If you don't like that, go back to Wal*Mart and see what they will do for you.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I live in Scottsdale, AZ and you would be surprised how many supposedly well-off people shop at Walmart....It is always busy!

Personally, I try to avoid it for the reasons implied above....but toiletries, cleaning products, some groceries...I prefer not to give Target or Safeway an extra $50-$100 of my money every month!

Best

I agree, I live in a well off community in California and the people shopping Walmart has changed. Everyone is looking for the best possible pricing. The people shopping Walmart is very diverse now. In some cases, for certain products it would be crazy to shop anywhere else, especially when almost everything they need is available in one store.

If the Ipad continues to be successful, it will be beneficial for everyone, consumer, Apple and the competition in the long run.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Totally agree, I wrote weeks ago Airports should have iPads in vending machines that take credit cards. I can well imagine the use of many business credit cards being justified for long flights

My only reservation about the practicality of vending machines is that to get started with an iPad, it has to be synced with a Mac or a PC with:

* A Mac or a PC with a USB 2.0 port and one of the following operating systems:

- Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later

- Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

* iTunes 9.1 or later, available at www.itunes.com/download

* An iTunes Store account

* Internet access

Time may be the problem if somebody expects to buy an iPad at the airport and get it functional with only an hour remaining before a flight. It's fine, however, if you've brought your laptop and after you get to a hotel that evening, where there's WiFi available and your computer is connected to house power. You not only have to allow time for syncing, but you also need time to load apps or content onto the iPad for use on a flight when you're offline.
  • Reply 47 of 127
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I love the fact that it's selling well. I only fear that we won't see an upgrade while it's doing so well.

You don't change the general who's winning the war. (just a saying. I know how you guys are. I'm not thinking of a tek war).

You must not have been following Apple very closely during the past - oh- decade. They had a general winning the war (iPod MIni) and replaced it with a completely new general (iPod Nano). Then every year since, in spite of iPod winning the war.

This is what Apple does. They will update the iPad every year.

Thompson
  • Reply 48 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Apple just ruined their prestige name by letting Walmart carry the i pads. A big marketing mistake on their part. Is Jobs that destitute for money by letting this mediocre company carry his products? Pretty sad on his part.Only Apple Resellers should carry Apple items.

People said the same thing when iPods began to appear at Wal Mart, Sears, and practically everywhere. Didn't seem to hurt the Apple brand at all.

Maybe Jobs and Co know what they're doing. Maybe they know better than you. Just sayin'.

Thompson
  • Reply 49 of 127
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

You must not have been following Apple very closely during the past - oh- decade. They had a general winning the war (iPod MIni) and replaced it with a completely new general (iPod Nano). Then every year since, in spite of iPod winning the war.

This is what Apple does. They will update the iPad every year.

Thompson

Get ready to be surprised. Apple WILL introduce / up-date the iPad in much less time, then 1 year.

They don't have much choice in the matter. Others are coming out with similar items (sometime soon?), and with features that Apple folks / fans want.

- Smaller

- camera

-

-

They can't lead or hold on to their lead, if they wait 1 year between up-dates ? just can't do it.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canon'sDad View Post

Whether or not you are a fan of Apple's brand, their business model dictates that they sell a more premium product at a higher price. That has been their strategy for years, and is how they have differentiated themselves and positioned themselves in the marketplace.

What's being said here is that Apple has a responsibility to its shareholders to maintain its brand's integrity...and placing their products in a "discount" store waters down the brand and confuses people. "Is this a premium product, or a discount product?"

When companies stray from the mission, vision, and identity that has established them as a category leader, it can spell disaster for their brands.

Nice theory, but in practice it hasn't proven true. Apple has had products in Wal Mart for years, and it hasn't hurt their brand one bit.

Thompson
  • Reply 51 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Get ready to be surprised. Apple WILL introduce / up-date the iPad in much less time, then 1 year.

They don't have much choice in the matter. Others are coming out with similar items (sometime soon?), and with features that Apple folks / fans want.

- Smaller

- camera

-

-

They can't lead or hold on to their lead, if they wait 1 year between up-dates ? just can't do it.

Care to predict a date then?

My bet is that Apple's Christmas lineup is now set in stone. The next iPad update will be announced in late January, with perhaps a March shipping date. Pretty darn close to a year. What is your prediction then?

Thompson
  • Reply 52 of 127
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Care to predict a date then?

My bet is that Apple's Christmas lineup is now set in stone. The next iPad update will be announced in late January, with perhaps a March shipping date. Pretty darn close to a year. What is your prediction then?

Thompson

Certainly not before Christmas since people holding off purchases in expectation of a new model would only damage holiday sales of products physically in the distribution pipeline. Yearly product refreshes are not a sacred mantra for Apple. They followed the introduction of the 13" unibody MacBook in October 2008 with a significant line update to the 13" unibody MacBook Pro in June 2009.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

My only reservation about the practicality of vending machines is that to get started with an iPad, it has to be synced with a Mac or a PC with:

* A Mac or a PC with a USB 2.0 port and one of the following operating systems:

- Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later

- Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

* iTunes 9.1 or later, available at www.itunes.com/download

* An iTunes Store account

* Internet access

Time may be the problem if somebody expects to buy an iPad at the airport and get it functional with only an hour remaining before a flight. It's fine, however, if you've brought your laptop and after you get to a hotel that evening, where there's WiFi available and your computer is connected to house power. You not only have to allow time for syncing, but you also need time to load apps or content onto the iPad for use on a flight when you're offline.

Good point, Apple need to think this though, perhaps a ready to go version with some books, games and a few movies to be synced later ... especially for airports.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    With the iPad finally just now coming to all these other retailers, do you think Apple is going to release a gen2 iPad so soon? I mean if they release a gen2 and again cannot keep up with demand for it again these retailers will have to wait another year to get them in their stores. I am wondering if we won't see the iPad not be updated for another year. What do you think?
  • Reply 55 of 127
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    In the Aliso Viejo, CA store about two hours ago. Already there, up and running..
  • Reply 56 of 127
    I don't see a problem at all with Apple distributing the iPads through mass merchandisers like Best Buy, Target and Walmart. You see all kinds of expensive "high-end" stuff in these places as well as Costco and Sam's Club. Some people can afford it and some can't. The iPad is a true consumer device and it is something that needs to be marketed and distributed to as many people as possible.

Apple seems hell-bent on locking up dominant market share in this new product category with the iPad like they did with the iPod. Apple really couldn't expect to do that with the iPhone in an already saturated market and when there are carrier issues to deal with. But there are no such constraints with the iPad, so why hold back when the demand is there?
  • Reply 57 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canon'sDad View Post

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been a frequent guest here for the last few months.

I have to say that I've seen way more "snobbish" posts on this site in the past...tis true that in some cases folks tend to com off as a little uppity. But not in this case.

Whether or not you are a fan of Apple's brand, their business model dictates that they sell a more premium product at a higher price. That has been their strategy for years, and is how they have differentiated themselves and positioned themselves in the marketplace.

What's being said here is that Apple has a responsibility to its shareholders to maintain its brand's integrity...and placing their products in a "discount" store waters down the brand and confuses people. "Is this a premium product, or a discount product?"

When companies stray from the mission, vision, and identity that has established them as a category leader, it can spell disaster for their brands.

Gerald apple's post makes no judgement as to the type or quality of patrons at WalMart. It isn't a condemnation of any particular class or segment of society...it's a question of Apple's marketing decision and how it will impact the brand.

And I think it's a valid point that warrants further intelligent discussion, free of inflammatory judgement statements like "neo-elitist snob."

The intelligent discussion would be to say that everything he said and you said are wrong. Not a stain upon you as a person just your opinions on this matter.

The only thing that matters is that the price remains the same and that there is a model out and usable with a reasonable distance From any clutter. That is because those two principles encapsulated everything about Apple.

Why whilst I may be wrong in this next statement I'll say it anyway. It seemed so obvious that the original statement was of a trollish nature I think everyone assumed like I did.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good point, Apple need to think this though, perhaps a ready to go version with some books, games and a few movies to be synced later ... especially for airports.

How about an iPad that syncs to this possibly soon to be coming cloud solution from Apple for everyone with a MobileMe account? If your account is with Apple then they have all the information they need.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    This is a very bad idea. They need to concentrate on opening more stores instead of selling their products at the lowest common denominator.
  • Reply 60 of 127
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What's next, 7 eleven?

In blister packs, hung from a rack at the check stand. Right next to the Slim Jim and the Wrigley's Spearmint.