iPad coming to Walmart stores next week - rumor

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

I am not a snob but if you know anything about marketing this is not a good strategy for apple. Stick to your resellers not use Target or walmart to carry your products. Apple supposedly is a high end name in the computer industry and by downgrading it to walmart where you can buy fruits and cheap electronics the name apple loses it's prestige a lot and people eventually will lose their admiration for this company.Is Jobs that hard up for profits? Walmart is not in the Philippines .Another thing the people at walmart are underpaid what they do I know this for a fact.

Walmart already sells iPods, as do CostCo and BJs (and Sams, etc.). So, I don't believe it was a big "step down" for Apple to market the iPad at Walmart. I see this as a smart move...if you can't go to the Apple store, you can purchase at your local Walmart/Target, etc. - "If Mohammad won't go to the mountain, the mountain will come to Mohammad".

One thing to note: all resellers, regardless, sell Apple products at virtually the same price point as the Apple store (with very slight discounts), so Apple certainly isn't giving up any significant profit margins.

Kudos to Steve...Apple products have become house-hold names and are now available (for purchase) virtually anywhere.
  • Reply 122 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Sell them Apple products. The best computer for them.

True. My father had a Mac for a short while and quickly got comfortable with it. Switched to a PC to run a particular program and has struggled ever since.
  • Reply 123 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankmv View Post

Walmart already sells iPods, as do CostCo and BJs (and Sams, etc.). So, I don't believe it was a big "step down" for Apple to market the iPad at Walmart. I see this as a smart move...if you can't go to the Apple store, you can purchase at your local Walmart/Target, etc. - "If Mohammad won't go to the mountain, the mountain will come to Mohammad".

One thing to note: all resellers, regardless, sell Apple products at virtually the same price point as the Apple store (with very slight discounts), so Apple certainly isn't giving up any significant profit margins.

Kudos to Steve...Apple products have become house-hold names and are now available (for purchase) virtually anywhere.

Let's hope Walmart employees will be taught enough about the iPad to prevent people from buying one expecting one thing and getting another. It's probably going to be hit and miss, though in Walmart's defence, sales reps who are ill-informed is not the exclusive domain of big-box retailers like Walmart.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo;

Let's hope Walmart employees will be taught enough about the iPad to prevent people from buying one expecting one thing and getting another. It's probably going to be hit and miss, though in Walmart's defence, sales reps who are ill-informed is not the exclusive domain of big-box retailers like Walmart.

I think I get it. Target, Best Buy and Walmart is like Apple's guerilla marketing. The under-the-table hand job while the Apple Stores are the pretty face.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I live in Scottsdale, AZ and you would be surprised how many supposedly well-off people shop at Walmart....It is always busy!

Personally, I try to avoid it for the reasons implied above....but toiletries, cleaning products, some groceries...I prefer not to give Target or Safeway an extra $50-$100 of my money every month!

Best

I agree with you they treat their employees like shit!
  • Reply 126 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

I agree with you they treat their employees like shit!

Wal-Mart: Bringing 3rd-World Servitude To Your Hometown
    Seriously though, as someone who has traveled extensively I find it impossible for me to separate the plight of people in, say, China working in factories making high-end goods for pennies an hour from those in other part of the world who have more choices, make more money, have a better quality of life because of where they were born, and are only complaining when comparing themselves to others within a culture. I don?t think it?s unusual for people to complain about Wal-Mart or want more, but the US is still much better off than most the world and most the world?s population by a very large margin. Because of this and the fact there are so many options for those with drive, passion and aptitude to succeed in the US with less effort than in most places I can?t feel bad for these people with jobs when I look at the big picture.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    Wal-Mart: Bringing 3rd-World Servitude To Your Hometown
    Seriously though, as someone who has traveled extensively I find it impossible for me to separate the plight of people in, say, China working in factories making high-end goods for pennies an hour from those in other part of the world who have more choices, make more money, have a better quality of life because of where they were born, and are only complaining when comparing themselves to others within a culture. I don’t think it’s unusual for people to complain about Wal-Mart or want more, but the US is still much better off than most the world and most the world’s population by a very large margin. Because of this and the fact there are so many options for those with drive, passion and aptitude to succeed in the US with less effort than in most places I can’t feel bad for these people with jobs when I look at the big picture.

What I notice strongly nowadays is that when I watch Hollywood movies about romance, and you know, how so and so is lonely, or trying to find the "one" and so on.... I go, damn, they have some nice apartments, a stable job, good income, and live in a nice, hip neighbourhood... I'm like WTF are they complaining about? If finding the most perfect man is the very worst of your troubles you need to seriously re-evaluate things. I know it's Hollywood but I've lived in the US and I know even if you are not that well off standard of living is high - it's a developed nation. US, Europe, Australia, now even Korea, are leagues ahead of Asia, Middle East, South America, and goes without saying, Africa.

Come to South East Asia where public transportation, town planning and governments are half-baked, a Honda Civic is over $100k and basic apartments at least $250k and an iPhone $2k and iPad $3k while your wage is just $20k a year even doing up to 55 hours a week with no overtime pay (local currencies indicated here... Imagine - your annual salary of USD $12,000 is considered "middle class"). And if you're the wrong ethnicity forget about cheaper loans, cars, housing, business contracts, more affordable universities, government jobs and so on.

I laugh sometimes when posters from the US say that Apple stuff is for the rich. It's "for the rich" when your gawdammed iPhone4 costs one month's salary and a bumper is over $100 in local currency.

That said though in the developed (and of course developing) world mental health can be an issue which can cause people to not be able to hold stable employment or have that "drive to be normal and succeed as people expect them to". Which of course should be separated from general lack of ambition. I have personal experience in this in that my life in Australia was alright but I lived with undiagnosed bipolar type2 that eventually became crippling and had to return to South East Asia where my parents live to begin treatment and rehabilitation. My medication costs alone are about 1/4 of my monthly pre-tax wage... To be honest if not for my parents' support I would either be in prison, on the streets, or dead.

Also had to help my parents with sorting out their finances for their retirement. Not as straightforward here when your currency can be manipulated by governments or global billionaires and financial institutions (see: Asian Currency Crisis 10 years ago). To this day many Asian currencies are not freely floated on the currency market but controlled by the respective governments themselves to reduce speculation (and some would argue give unfair trade advantages).

I have $20,000 of savings in local currency after a gruelling five years, but were I to try and go back to Australia now that's only about 3 months worth of expenses including air ticket, rent, looking for a job, medication, etc etc. And given the level of sophistication and education in the developed world, Malaysian work experience doesn't look too fancy. And my level of English is well, well above the norm...

</ sob story LOL >