Microsoft unveils plans for first nine Windows Phone 7 handsets

Comments

• Reply 81 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

being called a 'fanboy' on an apple site, and MS being defended to boot. FEAR of google must be hardcore.

android merely implements touch screen similar to iphone and others. they are not trying to be ios and android 3 should put that notion to rest.

I simply respect people doing things creatively. Apple always does so and now Windows 7 phone is original at least from it's looking-and-feel.

Android is a copy from iOS. I just think they are evil and disgusting. Anyway, I don't care how Android 3 looks like. At least now they are disgusting. If Meizu is to be blamed, why is Google still there and why are there so many Android fan boys dancing with an ugly thief(Google)?

I have to say Google's PR is so successful. When they need IP protection, they ask for IP protection. When they wanna steal something from others, they call software freedom. How come are they insane like this?
  • Reply 82 of 333
    Something that I've seen barely mentioned in the marketing (or in this forum), but crucial to the potential success or failure of Windows Phone 7, is their SDK and developer base.

The SDK is based on Silverlight, which is essentially a graphic interpreter running on top of Microsoft's .NET development framework. Silverlight has been through 4 releases on the browser and is a mature platform. .NET (and its primary implementation language, C#) has been around for 10 years and has a massive developer base. The primary IDE for .NET development, Visual Studio, is now in its 5th release (Visual Studio 2010).

Why does this matter to the success of Windows Phone 7? Because this past spring, Microsoft reached out to its developer base with the Windows Phone 7 SDK and the tools to develop on this platform. The developer base has been highly energized and able to develop apps with a familiar IDE and language right out of the box.

Is this enough to guarantee the success of Windows Phone 7? No. But it puts it at least on par with the Android development community (which uses Java) for having a large existing developer base, knowledgeable in the tools and the language. There will be no shortage of available apps on Windows Phone 7 release.
  • Reply 83 of 333
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

My understanding is that only M$-approved software can be installed. If so, I have no interest in WP7 at all.

If that's not true, I'll have to see what kind of ecosystem is available for the ATT offerings. But I doubt that I'd ever get one.

And exactly how is this is different from Apple approved software on iOS devices?
  • Reply 84 of 333
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i'm a huge fan of real-time info on your homepage [HEY APPLE, why does my weather icon always say it's sunny and 73 degrees????] but none of the screen caps actually show that data on the home page. you see different tiles saying "3 messages" or "25 emails" or a bunch of tiny pictures of your facebook friends. there's one big picture for a photos app. nothing i see will keep a user from looking for sub-pages for actual info.

Having Weather change it?s icon in intervals would nice but that means using a background process and they haven?t even added an option to find your location via the GPS. At least the Calendar app shows the date. I am not so keen on Mail changing the icon. I much prefer the badge system for basic numerics.

I?d also like a special badge to see which apps are currently using processes when I got o Fast App Switcher. This might help people understand that the Fast App Switcher is a list of your most recently used apps in order from right to left, not all app currently running.

Quote:

i would LOVE it if apple allowed you to customize the info on your iOS lock screen - to include a selection of widgets [weather, stocks, scores, recent sms, etc...]

Now that iOS 4.1 is issue free for me I?ll be JBing as soon as the Mac version of limera1n is available. Then I?ll be installing one of the two nice lock screen apps that are sold on Cydia. It?s the primary reason for my JB.
  • Reply 85 of 333
    I don't think Silverlight developers number is even close to Java developers.

Even nowadays, Object-C developers number is larger than the crappy Silverlight one.

The smartest move of Android is to use Java as a development language.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgMac View Post

Something that I've seen barely mentioned in the marketing (or in this forum), but crucial to the potential success or failure of Windows Phone 7, is their SDK and developer base.

The SDK is based on Silverlight, which is essentially a graphic interpreter running on top of Microsoft's .NET development framework. Silverlight has been through 4 releases on the browser and is a mature platform. .NET (and its primary implementation language, C#) has been around for 10 years and has a massive developer base. The primary IDE for .NET development, Visual Studio, is now in its 5th release (Visual Studio 2010).

Why does this matter to the success of Windows Phone 7? Because this past spring, Microsoft reached out to its developer base with the Windows Phone 7 SDK and the tools to develop on this platform. The developer base has been highly energized and able to develop apps with a familiar IDE and language right out of the box.

Is this enough to guarantee the success of Windows Phone 7? No. But it puts it at least on par with the Android development community (which uses Java) for having a large existing developer base, knowledgeable in the tools and the language. There will be no shortage of available apps on Windows Phone 7 release.

• Reply 86 of 333

Just got back from the AT&T store in Brentwood, CA.

There were about 15 people in the store and 5 ATT reps.

Five of the customers were there to buy iPhones-- they had none in stock, but more expected in 3 days. They called ATT stores within a 20-mile radius-- no one had any!

• Reply 87 of 333
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Instafail, whether it's 7 or 9... both are beyond the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two">avera ge person's short-term memory</a> limit (ie, between 4-7 depending on person).

Also going to cause purchase paralysis. This is why Apple only sells 1-3 versions of each of their products (ie, MacBook, MBP, iMac, MacPro, etc). People know what they're getting and have a limited choice (which promotes decision making).

At least in the Android world, there is only one "top" phone at any given time.

Microsoft, I better hope you got your business buyers primed, because for consumers, this is a face-plant of a sales strategy.

Not all the phones will be available at every outlet. And the ones that carry more than one will segment them well, or badly.

Providing choice is not something that inevitably leads to failure.

And in the Android world, there are both many great phones (not "one 'top'phone" like you claim) and many el-cheapo yesterday-type phones for the people who want to upgrade to a cool phone, but only for free or for cheap, and some in between.

If you notice, the HTC WM7 phones, for example, are each directed towards a different market segment. I think that there exist strong submarkets, and that a one-size-fits-all device might be a second choice for their members.

These phones will appeal both to niche and wide markets, depending on how they are marketed. Some will sell more than others. I don't see any obvious losers among them.
  • Reply 88 of 333

It makes me laugh that some people really bitch and moan that an HD format video is letter-boxed on the large iPad screen -- and others are perfectly content to sacrifice 1/5 of a much smaller screen to the "Black Bar Of Style".

• Reply 89 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

who picks all the terrible colors MS always uses?

oh yes horrid...

Brilliant strategy btw, they can't get one single decent phone out to get some traction and they decide to release nine. Geniuses...
  • Reply 90 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

And exactly how is this is different from Apple approved software on iOS devices?

The difference is that ios devices have a few hundred thousand apps available. A small difference really...
  • Reply 91 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popeyelin View Post

I don't think Silverlight developers number is even close to Java developers.

Even nowadays, Object-C developers number is larger than the crappy Silverlight one.

The smartest move of Android is to use Java as a development language.

object-c is not the same as 'silverlight'. any .net language can be used to develop in silverlight. there are a lot of .net programmers out there.
  • Reply 92 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

object-c is not the same as 'silverlight'. any .net language can be used to develop in silverlight. there are a lot of .net programmers out there.

You can use c/c++/object-c/object-c++ to develop in iOS. I don't think .Net developers are as good as Java developers from quality to quantity.

There are even more c/c++ developers around world than .Net(all languages combined) developers. What's more, .Net is focused on server side more and c/c++ ranges from both server and client side.
  • Reply 93 of 333
    Quote:

iPhone after 4 years, and no Verizon. Wow, the iPhone can't possibly succeed.

CDMA phones are supposed to come next year.

I personally love my iPhone 4 on ATT ... but apple took some big publicity hits by not being on the largest carrier in america.
  • Reply 94 of 333
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Perhaps, but the fact that RIM has lost market share doesn't necessarily equate to a losing the business market in that a large portion of Blackberry users are teenage girls who text as well. Also, Microsoft's initial offering (Windows Mobile), is and always has been absolute junk in terms of usability, (and I've used it myself on multiple devices) and both it and Blackberry OS are based on antiquated, almost "pre-smartphone" concepts. The fact that the arrival of multi-touch smartphones from Apple and Google caused them to lose share is not really that surprising.

This is true, but I have yet to see anyone do anything much with the SDK except dip buckets into the goldmine which is mobile gaming.

I would also argue that while the iPad currently dominates the landscape, it's not geared for any kind of serious productivity. It's a netbook replacement aimed almost solely at passive consumption of media and social activities which can just as easily be done on a phone. There is a serious danger IMO that the shine will wear off the iPad as quickly as it arrived and people will figure out that aside from the bigger screen, they can do almost anything they want to on an iPad, on a phone. Additionally, there hasn't been time for any competitors to the iPad to even come on sale yet, so the question of what is happening in the tablet market is really completely up in the air at this point.

What I see in the tablet market, is that lots of other competitors are coming out with products over the holiday season and in the first quarter of next year. Many of these are extremely focussed on productivity using the 7" form factor. Apple hasn't announced anything in that area, and there are no rumours of them even testing different form factors for the iPad at this stage.

Even if you just look at software, obvious boosts to the productivity side of the equation for iOS like providing a home screen with "at a glance information" or providing an integrated package of calendaring/email for the end user don't even seem to be on the horizon for Apple, and no developers that I've heard of are working on this kind of thing through the SDK either. Notifications still barely work on iOS. Even email is problematic in that I still can't rely on having access to all my email from an iOS device at all times even though I only use MobileMe for my email. Using the Apple mail app requires you getting your head around a lot of confusing duplication of mail folders as well. Many just give up on trying to figure it out and trust that everything is okay without really being in control of it at all. I never get that feeling when I use a more corporate based email system like Exchange. There is also no file system on iOS devices and no easy or intuitive way to transfer documents to an iOS device or back again. Even a simple "My documents" folder is seemingly out of the question for Apple. This just makes no sense at all to most end users.

Apple has a way of surprising us so they might pull it off yet, but I'm definitely worried about this state of affairs. I think Apple is moving too slow given the rapid development of the new mobile platform and (especially in the area of productivity), they aren't really offering much at this point. If they get enough iPads in peoples hands for watching TV shows with, they can still bolt on some productivity improvements later on and perhaps win the day, but I think they should be doing this now, instead of waiting for an entire summer of new Android (and now WinPhone 7) devices showing just how poor Apple's offering is in that regard. It's always better to strike first, rather than respond to a competitors product IMO.

Air Sharing Pro is very powerful can be used to transfer files between phone & any where. You can even do ssh login and browse code (if you are into S/W development). But, there is no way now available to transfer content from one app to another but sure there it will be and when it is it will be the best & most simplest way.
  • Reply 95 of 333
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I disagree.

Business users, and anyone who actually does work on their phone will gravitate towards these kinds of devices until Apple gets their finger out and decides to make phones or tablets for that part of the market (if they ever do).

I'm not sure where you're from but virtually every business meeting I attend there is at least one iPad present. We are planning on using them extensively in our businesses.
  • Reply 96 of 333
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'll be interested to see how the tile/hub thing works out in real life.

As has been mentioned, I'm not sure you need big panels just to tell you you have 8 emails, or 4 text messages. And a "hub" that aggregates a great deal of disparate information on a tiny screen might not be all that efficient.

I also wonder about the idea of making custom panels for individual people. Is that really how anyone interacts with their phone data? Where I want to see all emails, texts, twitters, appointments, etc. from one person at a time? I would think that most people would be more comfortable with seeing those things in the context of everything else that is going on-- as is the case on other phones.

Still, it's an interesting idea and may have applications and uses that aren't clear at the moment. Maybe I'll pick one up in the store and play with it and have an aha moment, where the elegance and logic of the approach is suddenly obvious. We'll see.

One other thing I'm very curious about is how third party apps fit into the overall design scheme. As we know, Apple has a lot of tools in their SDK that tend to keep apps within the general look and feel of the device. It's not clear to me how the front end UI of Windows Phone 7 will work in that sense. Do I get an Apps list, or an Apps panel? What happens when I actually start running a third party app-- did MS build in enough design cues into the SDK so that it still fells like I'm using the same phone, or do I get dropped into some horror show of an MS devs idea of "sexy"?
  • Reply 97 of 333
    Quote:

For example, the minimum specs are a 1Ghz Snapdragon chip.

This is a Microsoft OS we are talking about...so 2GHz with 2GB of RAM is going to be minimum to have a usable phone, and you really need more once you add anti-virus, firewalls, intrusion detection, etc....
  • Reply 98 of 333
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Different things are needed by different groups.

Consumers will want a nice browsing experience as well as easy switching between functions on the phone.

Businesses will need specific apps for their own business and will need the ability to write those apps for themselves easily enough.

I haven't seen anything on how well the phone really works in the hands of consumers/business. I don't trust the media to be fair, one way or the other, about how the phones really work. There will be those that trash the phone because it is MSFT and there also be those that thing it is gold because it is MSFT.

What I do know is that this is the scheme that they used for the Kin phones that didn't work. I hope that MSFT learned something from that experience. One thing that I can say. I really hate the color schemes and the tile concept. Didn't like it on the Kin phone and don't like it on these phones. And the asymmetry of the screen with that black bar on the side, along with the tiles and colors, makes me feel uncomfortable, like the phone isn't properly balanced. That is my initial impression.

Neal
  • Reply 99 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popeyelin View Post

You can use c/c++/object-c/object-c++ to develop in iOS. I don't think .Net developers are as good as Java developers from quality to quantity.

There are even more c/c++ developers around world than .Net(all languages combined) developers. What's more, .Net is focused on server side more and c/c++ ranges from both server and client side.

huh? you can program c and c++ in .net

you don't understand me thinks.
  • Reply 100 of 333
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I don't know about those colors or those icons, the outlook icon is the worst of them, does anyone have a trademark on just using an envelope to mean email? I would think you would want the number of messages to be a different color from the rest of the icon, making it easier to distinguish what information has changed at a glance. Making XBox a prominently visible feature on every single model might be a mistake.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Wall Street impressed, MSFT up a dime.

MSFT has been up and down over yesterday. Right now, 0.04% down from yesterday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

At 2:18, MSFT up .03; AAPL up 2.50

Absolute figures doesn't really help as one share of AAPL has a lot higher value than one share of MSFT. So I can make better comparisons, I would go by relative percent, AAPL up 0.42%, MSFT down 0.04% at the time of this post. By comparing percentage change, you can compare the relative changes as if you had the same amount invested in both yesterday vs. what that would be worth today.

Anything under 0.1% seems to be well within the "noise" of regular trading in any given day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Apple amazing profits are do the fact they created the "real" smart phone market. They got it right... Lots of people bought their product because their product was new and totally innovative. As a result Apple made lots and lots of money.

Now, Apple has some serious competition now with Google and Microsoft. Will the iPhone continue to be a cash cow for years and years to come? I am not so sure.

The multiple carrier question in the US is still an unanswered question. There is nothing outside of rumors that indicate Apple is going to be offer on anybody other than AT&T.

I don't know about "real" smart phone market, I don't know how you'd define real vs. fake here. I think a better way to say it was they made smart phones desirable to non-business-people, which really broadened the market, I don't see business being a fake or illegitimate market.