Microsoft unveils plans for first nine Windows Phone 7 handsets

Comments

• Reply 121 of 333
    All these WP7 phones being sold all over the world are made in China and Korea but they aren't selling them there? Do those countries' telecom outfits know something that's not being made public?
  • Reply 122 of 333
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Does Windows Phone 7 still have the intentionally cut off text?
  • Reply 123 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

MS sells promises, while Apple sells phones.

How long you wait for reals apps in the phone?

How long you wait for copy & paste?

How long you wait for multitask?

How long you wait for stereo audio via bluetooth? if you go to the gym with wires headphones, you blow it
  • Reply 124 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I'm not sure where you're from but virtually every business meeting I attend there is at least one iPad present. We are planning on using them extensively in our businesses.

Every meeting I go to has at least one or two people pretending to use their iPad for something or other also.

I don't find this a meaningful statistic or fact other than how it reflects on the current popularity of the device.
  • Reply 125 of 333
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chocolim View Post

How long you wait for reals apps in the phone?

How long you wait for copy & paste?

How long you wait for multitask?

How long you wait for stereo audio via bluetooth? if you go to the gym with wires headphones, you blow it

I don?t recall Steve Jobs marketing what will be over what they have currently. Show me one interview where Apple is pimping their current products by pimping features they would obviously add at some future date. Even the day before the iOS 4.0 demonstration multitasking still was just a rumour. Same goes for cut/copy/paste in iPhone OS 3.0.
  • Reply 126 of 333
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Interesting how everyone knows Microsoft target. Target not Apple?.. yeah, if you believe that, i have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. Has Microsoft ever met a company it did not want to crush? Microsoft is competing against all cell phone makers, whether they are named apple or not.

I must have hit a nerve. A few points. Yes, this is an Apple board, but in spite of that, Apple is not the center of the Universe. Also, I said Apple, not iPhone, you should learn to read.

A few issues.

1. MS is creating an ecosystem for Windows users similar to that for Mac users with iTunes etc. There is no incentive for a Mac User to a WP7 phone.

2. There is no support for Mac users at all in WP7, hence Apple is not a target.

3. BB does Business well, entertainment, not so much. The WP7 phone does both. Hence, BB is a target.

4. Android has no unified ecosystem, WP7 does, hence Android is a target.

5. Windows users who have an iPhone. Depending on the person there may be an incentive to switch (e.g., active Xbox gamer with Live account), but for some Windows users there will not be a compelling reason to switch. Hence, the iPhone is only indirectly a target.

See, if you stop and take some time to think about things, it is not all that hard.
  • Reply 127 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Apple amazing profits are do the fact they created the "real" smart phone market. They got it right... Lots of people bought their product because their product was new and totally innovative. As a result Apple made lots and lots of money.

Now, Apple has some serious competition now with Google and Microsoft. Will the iPhone continue to be a cash cow for years and years to come? I am not so sure.

The multiple carrier question in the US is still an unanswered question. There is nothing outside of rumors that indicate Apple is going to be offer on anybody other than AT&T.

Apple doesn't even have top market share in any of its markets and is still among the most profitable companies in every one of its markets, if not the most profitable.

Let's start with Android. Google basically gives away Android for free. In fact, Google's main source of revenue, if not the only source, is advertising. Every product that Google offers is designed to flow through ad revenue. That may not be the best business model.

Now take Microsoft. Microsoft is a software company. With Windows, Microsoft basically licenses Windows. Microsoft also sells Office. This creates distinct sources of revenue.

Now we have Apple. Apple makes both hardware and software. Apple has a good portfolio of revenue-generating products.

Google does not have a strong portfolio of revenue-generating products. Every product in Google's portfolio feeds into ads.

As for the AT&T exclusivity, that's going to end. For now, Apple has to honor its contract.
  • Reply 128 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

oh yes horrid...

Brilliant strategy btw, they can't get one single decent phone out to get some traction and they decide to release nine. Geniuses...

Microsoft has not released any phones. They have provided an OS for nine phones released from competing manufacturers.
  • Reply 129 of 333
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

Its being added early 2011

At least Microsoft has publicly committed to adding copy/paste, rather than trying to downplay and dismiss it.
  • Reply 130 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

1. MS is creating an ecosystem for Windows users similar to that for Mac users with iTunes etc. There is no incentive for a Mac User to a WP7 phone.

2. There is no support for Mac users at all in WP7, hence Apple is not a target.

3. BB does Business well, entertainment, not so much. The WP7 phone does both. Hence, BB is a target.

4. Android has no unified ecosystem, WP7 does, hence Android is a target.

5. Windows users who have an iPhone. Depending on the person there may be an incentive to switch (e.g., active Xbox gamer with Live account), but for some Windows users there will not be a compelling reason to switch. Hence, the iPhone is only indirectly a target.

I agree with all these points.
  • Reply 131 of 333
    Take a look at the Samsung Omnia 7 review...

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i870...review-522.php

I have to say, this is the first OS I have been truly excited about since iOS, and definitely looks to be the next best thing.
  • Reply 132 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

At least Microsoft has publicly committed to adding copy/paste, rather than trying to downplay and dismiss it.

I?ll bite. When did Apple or Jobs ever dismiss the entire concept of cut/copy/paste as something they would never add to the iPhone?
  • Reply 133 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Wall Street impressed, MSFT up a dime.

Wall Street reacts to the strangest news.
  • Reply 134 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Take a look at the Samsung Omnia 7 review...

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i870...review-522.php

I have to say, this is the first OS I have been truly excited about since iOS, and definitely looks to be the next best thing.

3 hour talk time? uggh

no flash OR silverlight in the browser? i have to laugh...
  • Reply 135 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree with all these points.

thanks.
  • Reply 136 of 333
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I disagree.

As much as I hate Microsoft and have the lowest opinion of their design chops, these look like credible competitors to me. They are striking right at Apple's achilles heel with these things and I would expect that unless the actual user experience on the hardware is shite (and early reviews are that they are actually pretty slick BTW), that they will gain a lot of traction. Apple is focussed like a laser on the consumer as a sort of target to sell media to. Their offerings in terms of productivity however, are minimal, beta-esque and fraught with usability problems. This is the main weakness of the iOS platform IMO and Microsoft is going for the jugular here.

The whole "tiles" metaphor seems junky and clunky to me, but people will put up a lot to get the integration and because a lot of the views Microsoft is giving on your data with these phones is actually useful as opposed to the iOS way of doing things. Business users, and anyone who actually does work on their phone will gravitate towards these kinds of devices until Apple gets their finger out and decides to make phones or tablets for that part of the market (if they ever do).

I really can't understand your animosity towards Microsoft. A lot of us have done well using their products in the past. As a Mac user since day one plus a few months when Multiplan came out, Microsoft has always been part of my business armamentarium as we might say in medicine.

Not that I particularly wanted to, but to cut off my nose to spite my face? Hey you do what you have to. In any event, as more and more programs became available and more functional for my purposes, the likes of Microsoft have been less of a need for me more recently.

I use Pages and Numbers every day now and there is nothing I can't do with either application that I could do with Office. And even now on the iPad, a Bluetooth keyboard is becoming more that adequate on even the largest of documents. Most of my need for Office involves processes that I know I could resolve just with a little more thought, and getting past the 'creature of habit' phase.

To suggest that …until Apple needs to get their finger out and…" is their achilles heal is ludicrous. Microsoft will do well. However, their latest endeavours are being developed by a team of two left footers. Which for the most part is historically their style. And for the most part, much of the world's business community. Not that it is a bad thing. Just that it is without the likes of the Dassler Brothers, we could still be running on filp-flops.

Right now we are building a half dozed custom business apps. And if you got your head out of the sand, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of apps on the iTunes store for the choosing.

Perhaps you should take a look at Apples 'iPhone in Business site. http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/, as well as their 'iPad in Business' site. http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/

As well WIRED just recently wrote a review, "Apple’s iPad: clearly the top tablet for business"

Quote:

Just as “there’s an app for that” has proven true for many when searching the iTunes app store, there’s now probably a “business app for that” there now too. If not, someone’s likely working on it, and if not, it might be that million-dollar idea that propels you into creating your own startup to provide business software for the iPad, other tablets and computing devices.

The future is looking brilliant for tablets in business especially through 2011 and beyond, with plenty of business apps to come for future Android, WebOS and Windows tablets, but unless you’re willing to buy a much more expensive Windows-based convertible tablet or slate right now, or wait for “cheaper” (and potentially less powerful) Windows slates to emerge “sometime before Christmas”, the iPad is the only business tablet in town with the fastest growing library of apps since tribbles started reproducing.

All of these other tablets are welcome competition to ensure Apple does better and to “keep it in line”, but if you’ve done the research and can see that an iPad would help you in business, what are you waiting for?

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-ne...t-for-business

• Reply 137 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

3 hour talk time? uggh

no flash OR silverlight in the browser? i have to laugh...

I am lucky if I get 3 hours talk time on my iPhone 3g running iOS 4
  • Reply 138 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I'm not sure where you're from but virtually every business meeting I attend there is at least one iPad present. We are planning on using them extensively in our businesses.

involved in a multi-billion dollar company, and have never seen one. A few iphones, thats about it.

I do routinely see business folk playing on ipads in aircraft/airline lounges. Sat next to one the other day on a flight. He loved his iPad, just couldnt do any decent business with it because of its file management setup. He could play with emails and calendar tho.
  • Reply 139 of 333
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Microsoft has not released any phones. They have provided an OS for nine phones released from competing manufacturers.

That's what I am saying, they should have opted for exclusivity and had someone make a phone for them, at most two. They are (again) idiots for failing to see the right strategy. Ok, they are a laughing stock for letting everyone surpass them in a market where they were supposedly leading or trying to lead, but they are still not smelling the coffee...

Still? Still.

One competitor has a supposed open source platform and give the os away for free, another one has the best and tightest integration of os and hardware, still another (blackberry) is an established force in business, and another one is an established force in making phones (nokia), what the f. are they doing then selling os's to phones like they did 30 years ago with pcs? What the f. strategy is that, and who the f. wants an array of windows phones with all that competition which has managed to establish itself so well?
  • Reply 140 of 333
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Despite MS? still designing some things by boardroom committee and some of the HW vendors doing some odd things I think most of the HW and the OS look pretty slick. It?s also the first ecosystem that has any chance of competing with Apple in any way.

I agree. I'm really quite envious of the tiles UI.

Once it gets into the hands of users we'll see if it works in a 'delightful' manner but so far MS looks like they've something they can build upon.