Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 21 of 291
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stldoug View Post

Everybody seems to be missing the "swivel" in the logo. Wasn't there a rumor about Mac OS X switching between iOS and Mac OS X via tilting a monitor? Could this be a hint that it might be true?

Or altenitavley, the apple [AAPL] is revealing the lion [OSX]..
  • Reply 22 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At least one recent discovery has suggested that a iLife '11 refresh will be written entirely in 64-bit code, will include a rewritten iWeb, and will drop the iDVD application. It has also been suggested that the software will be launched for iOS devices, like the iPhone and iPad.

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?
  • Reply 23 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Mac OSX "LIGER"

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.
  • Reply 24 of 291
    Badass.
  • Reply 25 of 291
    iChat to work with Facetime (obvious)

64-bit kernel turned on by default (estimated 5%-10% performance improvement).

ASLR fully realized (for security)

Usage/adoption/improvements to QuickTime X (i.e. Make it usable in Final Cut, etc)

OpenGL 4

OpenCL (actually use it in programs. To my knowledge, no one is really taking advantage of this yet).
  • Reply 26 of 291
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?

Perhaps iDVDs features will be intergrated into iMovie '11
  • Reply 27 of 291
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Nice.. I can't wait to see what Apple will show off for the new Mac OS. Snow Leopard laid the foundation in place for developers so I believe the next update will carry lots of new features and UI improvements.
  • Reply 28 of 291
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

I'm pretty sure you can drag the menu bar to whichever monitor you like.
  • Reply 29 of 291
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Nice.. I can't wait to see what Apple will show off for the new Mac OS. Snow Leopard laid the foundation in place for developers so I believe the next update will carry lots of new features and UI improvements.

I didn't make it clear. In the 'monitors' control panel you can drag the menu bar.
  • Reply 30 of 291
    Man, I was hoping for Mac OS X Bay Cat.

• Reply 31 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarZen View Post

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.

OS X Unicorn
  • Reply 32 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

Yes, it's called "Spaces."
  • Reply 33 of 291
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I guess Lion makes sense. Probably one of the few (commonly known) species of big cat they haven't used. I guess they haven't used many others either (Lynx, Wildcat, Cougar, Bobcat to name a few, however a Cougar is in the Puma family and Bobcat is in the Lynx family). Soon they'll have to resort to domesticated breeds after that (i.e. OSX - Manx).

Anyone know why they chose cats to name their OS's? Too bad they didn't release 10.7 in March, would have made for good marketing, "March goes in like a Lion..." Or did the release date as October 7th.

About the MBA, well if they reveal a brand new one with a smaller display, I think we could safely say it's not going to be any kind of iOS type device. As much as I would like to see some kind of hybrid iOS/OSX cross-over, if it's released at the same Keynote as an iLife '11 and OSX 10.7 Lion event, It will be basically a 12" MBA, nothing more. But I hope there is more, like a drastic cut in price, since $1499 base price for a 12" MB would be a pretty hard sell, and will probably not change sale figures past the first year or so (IMO of course).
  • Reply 34 of 291
    I want to see that lion stick his head out of that Apple 'hole' and do the MGM roar.
  • Reply 35 of 291
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Well i was hoping it was going to be Sabertooth. But i guess that will have to wait until 10.8.

All i want out of this release are the following. (even if just announced)

OSX10.7 obviously.

iOS 4.2 (or at least the 4.1.1 patch)

iLife 11

New Macbook Pro refresh. (in time for 10.7)

Anything more is a bonus.
  • Reply 36 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

OpenCL (actually use it in programs. To my knowledge, no one is really taking advantage of this yet).

I agree with you on this one. From reading Anandtech it sounds like there is more momentum with NVidia's CUDA. Also, Intel isn't playing ball, is integrating video transcoding hardware into its next processor lineup to pre-empt the biggest use case for these GPGPU efforts.

Also, you forgot: AirPlay from iOS onto the Mac.
  • Reply 37 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

OS Leo next year?

Snow Leopard will be the first version of Apple OS that I've skipped since 7.4 and vanilla X.

I hope they figure out their graphics issues in Leo... Or how to write a driver... Or how to make a phone call to the people who write drivers.

Hey Steve, if your reading this... Drivers... We need drivers!!!

Unless you've got some seriously obscure hardware (and it seems likely this is your whole problem), only a dufus would run Leopard instead of Snow Leopard if the hardware they have can support Snow Leopard at all. It's faster and far more stable and it includes all the drivers from Leopard anyway.
  • Reply 38 of 291
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    "appears to show a lion"

For gods sake just say "shows a Lion", how obvious do you want it to be?
  • Reply 39 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

No (s)he's right, there is one taskbar, at the bottom of the screen.

Yea I was wrong there, the Task Bar is the one at the bottom. But still for the sake of using multiple screen like many highend artists do, an option to turn on menus for individual windows or individual applications will be appreciated. When I have Photoshop launched on my Cintiq screen, which is my third screen, it's a pain in the neck to always have to move across two screens to access the drop-down, I do use shortcuts and I programmed my own shortcuts too, but the experience is not the same.
  • Reply 40 of 291
    I use iDVD every week for the High School Band. I make end of the year video for the band and all the parents want DVD's. Why does Apple think the we don't need DVD's? I use Final Cut Express for my editing so what am I to use? Apple wont sell DVD Studio Pro outside of Final Cut. Video is not all on line yet even though I post lot's of video to youtube. People still like DVD's. Why can't Apple at lease make a DVD Studio Express for those that still need this capability.