Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 81 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarZen View Post

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.

OS X Tarzan!
  • Reply 82 of 291
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarZen View Post

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.

There's still Cougar and Clouded Leopard, also Cougar is really just another name for Puma.

So we should be getting OSX 11, or OSXI after just one or two more cycles.
  • Reply 83 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Just a nitpick, but can you guys please stop saying 'the Far East'? This isn't the 19th century, and these parts aren't being shipped from Cathay by the East India Tea Company, nor were they sold to Apple by strange, veiled eunuchs.

...err 18th century

There was an old lady, lived over the sea

And she was an Island Queen.

Her daughter lived off in a new country,

With an ocean of water between;

The old lady's pockets were full of gold

But never contented was she,

So she called on her daughter to pay her a tax

Of three pence a pound on her tea.

"Now mother, dear mother," the daughter replied,

"I shan't do the thing you ax.

I'm willing to pay a fair price for the tea,

But never the three penny tax."

"You shall," quoth the mother, and reddened with rage,

"For you're my own daughter, you see,

And sure, 'tis quite proper the daughter should pay

Her mother a tax on her tea."

And so the old lady her servant called up

And packed off a budget of tea;

And eager for three pence a pound, she put

In enough for a large family.

She order'd her servants to bring home the tax,

Declaring her child should obey,

Or old as she was, and almost woman grown,

She'd half whip her life away.

The tea was conveyed to the daughter's door,

All down by the ocean's side;

And the bouncing girl pour'd out every pound

In the dark and boiling tide.

And then she called out to the Island Queen,

"O mother, dear mother," quoth she,

"Your tea you may have when 'tis steep'd enough

But never a tax from me."

• Reply 84 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I had all but given up on this event. It seemed likely in August and September but this is getting pretty late into the month. Has Apple ever held a Mac special event this late into October?
  • Reply 85 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

This is by design and convention. There is only 1 menubar, just like in windows and linux there is only 1 taskbar. Those don't change monitors either.

Honestly, imo, the menubar should go all the way across. But I see why they chose not to (working with different sized monitors).

I use two displays at work stacked vertically. I have an external display (with menu bar) on a box so it sits above the display in my MBP.

I tried putting the display beside my MBP, but the displays are different sizes and resolutions and they just wouldn't line up in a way I found comfortable for working.
  • Reply 86 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Photoshop launched on my Cintiq screen ... move across two screens to access the drop-down.

I use the small Cintiq as a second screen and I have one of the buttons set to switch between mapping onto the big screen or drawing onto the small one.

Before I figured this out I used to reach for the mouse to zip up to the big screen and do all that. This way it's easier.
  • Reply 87 of 291
    nice, OSX 10.7 and please update the macbook pro´s
  • Reply 88 of 291
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will hold a special media event next Wednesday to reveal its latest offerings in the Mac space, which may include new MacBook Airs, a preview of Mac OS X 10.7, and an unveiling of iLife and iWork \\'11.

Maybe...

HDMI jacks on all laptops?

SD card slots on all laptops?

BluRay option on all laptops with optical drives?
  • Reply 89 of 291
    Fantastic! About time, I am really keen to see what they have been doing Macwise. I could imagine that the new OS allows a better sync among different devices. This would be quite important. This would be in line with new iWork and iLife that also need a better sync among device features. Can't wait to see what they will deliver!
  • Reply 90 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

While what you say is true, it isn't what emig647 said. What he said was correct, and that is the taskbar doesn't span across multiple monitors. However, this is way off topic.

What I would like to know is what everyone wants from 10.7: Resolution Independence (Odds: 1:2); FaceTime integration (Odds: 3:1), or maybe even running your iPhone/iPad apps directly on the computer (Odds: 1:100)? What is your favorite?

Some of these are interrelated-- especially to resolution independence.

Many iOS apps make sense on the desktop-- and with the simulator, already run on the desktop... so I'd up the odds of that.

1) Resolution Independent desktop so when BackToMyMac (or any VNC) is run from an iPad the UI automatically, focuses, reflows, and enlarges content and controls for Touch UI.

2) above requires Touch UI for OS X.

3) Support for Touch Screen Mac

4) Use of iPads as a co-accessories to a Mac:

-- touch/pen tablet inputs

-- additional Mac displays

-- drag and drop from one to the other

5) Home Server / Backup for content

6) Cloud TimeMachine service

7) Prosumer apps with Touch UI as well as legacy UI

8) iPad Video Wall ala Quartz Composer Visualizer

That's for starters!

• Reply 91 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

There will be no such thing as a 11.6" or 13" MacBook Air.

Instead, all Macbook Pros will lose their slot loading drive in favour of an increased battery life and better hard drives. This will actually be a major upgrade for the Macbook Pro family!

I hope so, but with the last notebook update in April and the updates moving farther apart and with no new Intel releases i wonder if we?ll see any updates to the any of those Mac notebooks again this year.
  • Reply 92 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yes, but I ruled it out because he has said previously that he chose not to run it.

My parents are still running Leopard on Intel hardware because they refuse to throw away their perfectly good LaserWriter and buy a new printer. Snow Leopard does not speak AppleTalk.
  • Reply 93 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Maybe...

HDMI jacks on all laptops?

SD card slots on all laptops?

BluRay option on all laptops with optical drives?

If you just stated the first two above, I would say, you had a chance, but BluRay, well keep dreaming! Maybe Steve will prove me wrong, but I doubt it, still have not seem the market penetration of bluRay in major markets except for Playstation 3.
  • Reply 94 of 291
    You all do know that you CAN actually change which monitor the menu bar is on right? Simply drag it's graphical representation from the one display to the other, while in "display" in preferences.
  • Reply 95 of 291
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

It's about time!

I remind everyone about my own two predictions regarding 10.7:

1. Sandboxed OS is a logical move after the intro of Grand Central Dispatch in 10.6.

2. A true resolution independent UI (vector graphics) and full support for OpenGL 3.

IMO these are the two main upgrades.

Yes! Very good points. I'd like to add one to that list:

3. A new UI more similar to iTunes with less AQUA.
  • Reply 96 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

5) Home Server / Backup for content

This would make enormous sense, once AirPlay is out. Maybe they use the MacMini as a home server, with the possibility to add more storage to it via USB (3.0). Then Apple would finally have arrived in the living room.
  • Reply 97 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mactommy View Post

I use iDVD every week for the High School Band. I make end of the year video for the band and all the parents want DVD's. Why does Apple think the we don't need DVD's? I use Final Cut Express for my editing so what am I to use? Apple wont sell DVD Studio Pro outside of Final Cut. Video is not all on line yet even though I post lot's of video to youtube. People still like DVD's. Why can't Apple at lease make a DVD Studio Express for those that still need this capability.

I suspect that current versions of most apps will work in the next OS.

• Reply 98 of 291
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

While I can see your point of view I don't think you will find wide agreement in the Mac community nor at Apple. It is certainly a toss up because I've been fustrated myself with this behavior but yet see why it works well at times. In a nut shell I'd be surprised to see a difference.

On the otherhand there is this idea in the back of my head that suggests that the GUI may be ready for a major overhaul. In part that would involve the incorporation of some of Touch, resolution independence and possibly 3D. So who knows, in seven days we will all know.
  • Reply 99 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Some of these are interrelated-- especially to resolution independence.

[?]

That's for starters!

I?d be very surprised if RI didn?t arrive this time. They simply can?t increase the resolutions unless they address this issue with RI or use an intermediary layer like Windows has had for many years, but I don?t see Apple going that route.

I?d like to see FindMyMac incorporated into the OS and have it pull the HW BiAs so even if a machine is stolen and the OS reinstalled it can still be located. I think this sort of security would boost Mac and MobileMe sales. I?d also like to see GPS in every Mac notebook and an option for a 3G card.
  • Reply 100 of 291
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

But still for the sake of using multiple screen like many highend artists do, an option to turn on menus for individual windows or individual applications will be appreciated. When I have Photoshop launched on my Cintiq screen, which is my third screen, it's a pain in the neck to always have to move across two screens to access the drop-down, I do use shortcuts and I programmed my own shortcuts too, but the experience is not the same.

I think the easiest would be to mirror the menu bar on all monitors (optionally per monitor of course). Would add some complexity to the Monitor section in the System Preferences, though it could be activated by alt-dragging the menu bar in there and highlighting the 'master' menubar (the one which would define the position of the Dock) in a different colour.