Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 61 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing.

Dude if you are going to pinch my quote from MacRumors do me the honour of at least acknowledging it.

"Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing. "
  • Reply 62 of 291
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

But only on one monitor. With the advent of very large screens - and multiple monitors - navigating from the window you're working in up to the top of the "primary" monitor is time consuming and a bit of a pain. It's not too bad if you can "throw" the pointer and have it stop at the top, but then you have to get back down to where you were working.

I'd be interested in Tog's thoughts on this subject.

Speaking of Tog: http://www.asktog.com/columns/079BentoSchmento.html

Hmmm....

- Jasen.

I work on 2 x 30" cinema displays with FCPro and for me the menu on one works just fine. Spread over two would be less efficient IMHO. I can 'throw the pointer' it is built in to the OS, a fast motion makes it go further faster, kind of like throwing. It may all be moot in a few years I drool at the thought of finger control over such a set up and the screens laying down like a key board.
  • Reply 63 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yes, it's called "Spaces."

That works just fine with 1 monitor. However, with 2 (or more), even inside a 'space', the same problems exists. Thanks for your insight though.
  • Reply 64 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

"appears to show a lion"

For gods sake just say "shows a Lion", how obvious do you want it to be?

I agree, I can only assume many people aren't very good at identifying animals based on this and some of the comments on engadget.

You can see its bloody great mane behind the Apple bite!
  • Reply 65 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yes, it's called "Spaces."

Apple won with me fighting multiple monitors; I broke down and got the 27". Large monitors are a pain to work with some times, but you have to be kidding thinking Spaces is an alternative.

When you need a lot of information on the screen, it becomes hard to navigate between the right side and the menubar all the way on the right. The dock works much better as it is at least centered.

I haven't seen anything that really works well with multiple monitors out of the box. There are a few windows add-ons that will make the experience work pretty well, but it is a failure on OSX.

Would have loved to have a 2x2 or 1x3 monitor array, but there doesn't seem a good way to do it with a single OS. (My needs are mail/browser in one window, CAD in the second, and Excel in the third generally. Most of my spreadsheets have 15-20 columns and 50-1,000 rows...
  • Reply 66 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I want to see that lion stick his head out of that Apple 'hole' and do the MGM roar.

I agree. Apple should throw a few bucks at MGM (is that Turner now?) and use the famous roar.
  • Reply 67 of 291
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing.

I really never feel sorry for MS. They didn't feel sorry for putting people out of business back in the 90s using illegal methods.
  • Reply 68 of 291
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

That is incorrect Windows serves your menus in your window, and not across the top of your screen.

Re-read what he actually said:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

This is by design and convention. There is only 1 menubar, just like in windows and linux there is only 1 taskbar. Those don't change monitors either.

One menubar in Mac OSX. One taskbar in Windows and Linux.
  • Reply 69 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yep, 10.7 is Lion. Looks like we'll be getting an overview of 10.7. Yeah! Finally!

The MacBook Air, new iPads, and software updates to the AppleTV can take back seat.

"Lion"... hmm... I hope not. Everyone will start saying things like, "Darn it, my Mac locked up. I ain't Lion!", or "Apple is feeding us to the Lions".... No... please no.

I'd rather it be something like Kimba, or Leo, or something less prone to bad puns.
  • Reply 70 of 291

Haven't, yet, read any of the posts-- so I'm not confused by logic!

I predict that the next OS X will be called OS X 10.7 Chessy Cat

• Reply 71 of 291
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Helloooo!

Me wants a Lion for my Mac.

Me too! This is the most exciting Apple news I've read in a while! I gotta believe that they've been saving the "Lion" moniker for a very special update.
  • Reply 72 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Right…'press release' was too strong a phrase. I have searched around, and can find nothing substantive about iLife or iWork '11. That doesn't mean that those packages won't be in the media event. They were last updated in 2009.

The odds are pretty good that they will offer a new iLife suite, mostly due to the online sighting of a German iLife guidebook.

The media events make no promises, yet also do not exclude the possibility of any given product announcement.

Generally speaking, Apple does not pre-announce, so pretty much everything is speculation. They say stuff when there are things to announce. Otherwise they keep their mouths shut. This is classic "under promise, over deliver." Smart.

The only exception to this that I can remember in recent times is the white iPhone.

Where there is substantive news about iLife or iWork, there will be webpages to view at Apple.com.
  • Reply 73 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

In the Displays > Arrangement section of System Prefs you can arrange the displays relative to each other by dragging them, likewise you can drag the menu bar over and back between displays. You can even position it between vertically aligned screens if you want.

Lion doesn't have the same ring as Panther, Tiger, Leopard or (how cool) Snow Leopard. Also you can call someone a Lion b*****d.

OS X King maybe.

Or maybe some cool African word for Lion.

...please not the name from the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, please not...
  • Reply 74 of 291
    It's about time!

I remind everyone about my own two predictions regarding 10.7:

1. Sandboxed OS is a logical move after the intro of Grand Central Dispatch in 10.6.

2. A true resolution independent UI (vector graphics) and full support for OpenGL 3.

IMO these are the two main upgrades.

• Reply 75 of 291
    Quote:

Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft?

mm... Nope.

If you live by Marketing you die by Marketing.
  • Reply 76 of 291
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Mac Book Helium
  • Reply 77 of 291
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The odds are pretty good that they will offer a new iLife suite, mostly due to the online sighting of a German iLife guidebook.

The media events make no promises, yet also do not exclude the possibility of any given product announcement.

Generally speaking, Apple does not pre-announce, so pretty much everything is speculation. They say stuff when there are things to announce. Otherwise they keep their mouths shut. This is classic "under promise, over deliver." Smart.

The only exception to this that I can remember in recent times is the white iPhone.

Where there is substantive news about iLife or iWork, there will be webpages to view at Apple.com.

Yes, and people were complaining about the missing white iPhone! I didn't get iLIfe 09 because it was not a 64-bit suite; now I am waiting on an iLife suite update.
  • Reply 78 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I want to see that lion stick his head out of that Apple 'hole' and do the MGM roar.

To the tune of the Mac Startup chimes! Steve? Send a cheque.
  • Reply 79 of 291
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    There will be no such thing as a 11.6" or 13" MacBook Air.

Instead, all Macbook Pros will lose their slot loading drive in favour of an increased battery life and better hard drives. This will actually be a major upgrade for the Macbook Pro family!
  • Reply 80 of 291
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

2. A true resolution independent UI (vector graphics) and full support for OpenGL 3.

Goodlord, I hope so!