Apple adds FaceTime video chat support to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    I don't understand... Why have facetime and Ichat? Why is it not integrated. Makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Now if they'd just lift the silly wifi-only restriction, we are all set. I know it is at the request of the carriers (AT&T) but I wish they would just open. Just like VOIP over 3G, it wasn't the end of the world that AT&T was worried about.

Ah ok just installed

And just jailbreak I've been facetiming over 3G no issues
  • Reply 23 of 86
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Very disappointing. I was hoping iChat will integrate FaceTime, add other IM and social protocols, and sync (ideally via cloud) SMS and MMS with iPhone's Messages app.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

I don't understand... Why have facetime and Ichat? Why is it not integrated. Makes no sense to me.

I would imagine they use completely separate communications protocols. Easier to start from scratch than try and integrate with barely used software....
  • Reply 25 of 86
    Ok... I have a new iPod Touch. I have a Mac. With ONE Apple ID, how on Earth do I FaceTime from my iPod to my Mac!?
  • Reply 26 of 86
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Very disappointing. I was hoping iChat will integrate FaceTime, add other IM and social protocols, and sync (ideally via cloud) SMS and MMS with iPhone's Messages app.

Maybe because it's beta?

I just finished verifying. Seems like the servers are overloaded.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ok... I have a new iPod Touch. I have a Mac. With ONE Apple ID, how on Earth do I FaceTime from my iPod to my Mac!?

I signed on with a different email on the touch when I first got it. Turns out that was a good idea, but I had no idea why at the time. I wonder if you can change the touch's i.d. with another email.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post

I think that this will allow many people to make free calls to other people I love the idea.

'Cause we've never been able to do THAT before!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I signed on with a different email on the touch when I first got it. Turns out that was a good idea, but I had no idea why at the time. I wonder if you can change the touch's i.d. with another email.

So for folks who have set it up (I'm stuck at work on a PC ), does this mean I have to share my AppleID with anyone I want to use this with and have them add it to their Address Book? Or do I have to tell Apple all my various email addresses when I set mine up so people who use those addresses can contact me?

Just wondering how the connections are made. And also, while it's [going to be] an open standard, it looks like if any 3rd party wants to use it their customers will have to have iTunes and an AppleID. It think it'd be better to just let you use any email address to create your Facetime account. But this way Apple gets to keep it's foot in the door of anyone who wants to use it.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

You forget one very clear detail it's a BETA! Not the final product
  • Reply 30 of 86
    getting hammered! Can anyone upload it so I can get now? I know I'm so impatient!!!

With Thanks
  • Reply 31 of 86
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Well got it installed.

Its awesome. The app stays 'aware' even when you have exited so that it springs to life if someone calls you.

Video quality is ace, tried a local wifi network call and a call across the internet. Both good clear audio and video.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    I wish this integrated with SIP and allowed SIP dialing and reception with existing VoIP providers like BroadVoice, Vonage, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,227member
    Anyone know how to initiate a FaceTime chat from the iPhone to a Mac?
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Just connect via the Contacts list with an email address...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

• Reply 35 of 86
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Different purposes, Unix philosophy. Facetime is video chat. iChat is text chat. I think the brand FaceTime makes it profitable to execute the each tool does it's job well idea rather than just bury ever more features into the same wrapper.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

'Cause we've never been able to do THAT before!

So for folks who have set it up (I'm stuck at work on a PC ), does this mean I have to share my AppleID with anyone I want to use this with and have them add it to their Address Book? Or do I have to tell Apple all my various email addresses when I set mine up so people who use those addresses can contact me?

Just wondering how the connections are made. And also, while it's [going to be] an open standard, it looks like if any 3rd party wants to use it their customers will have to have iTunes and an AppleID. It think it'd be better to just let you use any email address to create your Facetime account. But this way Apple gets to keep it's foot in the door of anyone who wants to use it.

Never been able to do it so easily, maybe. But the main thing is the BACK CAMERA on the portables and the easy way of switching. You can show where you ARE, without you being in the picture. Very big deal.

Give Apple a different email address (of yours) to each device. Their servers keep track of where you are from then on.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

You could call the iPhone from the mac then after ending the call go to the recent calls list on the phone and save the details to an existing contact or create a new one for your mac for facetime calls.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    setting it up now. although you have to log in with your apple id you can specify a different email address for people to contact you, thereby protecting your apple id.

i see some people have already used facetime on the mac. i'm using a contact email different than my apple id, and i'm stuck waiting for apple to send the verification email to that alternate address. wondering if they're having some issues with that. i run my own mail server and have yet to see the verification email hit my mail server.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Different purposes, Unix philosophy. Facetime is video chat. iChat is text chat. I think the brand FaceTime makes it profitable to execute the each tool does it's job well idea rather than just bury ever more features into the same wrapper.

Aha, good point. I never used iChat, maybe also because it's planted. I just called my iMac from my touch. It seems to just work. Are you signed on yet?
  • Reply 40 of 86
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Give Apple a different email address (of yours) to each device. Their servers keep track of where you are from then on. You have to trust them, and the people you give your address(es) to.

Can we all just get along? Maybe t's the new imperative . . . .

I guess that's what I was wondering...is it the AppleID that makes the connection (ie, my friend needs to know my AppleID and have it in his Address Book) or can they use the email address(es) they already have for me. It sounds like it's the latter, which is good (as long as I can give Apple multiple email address since not everyone I associate with uses the same email address to contact me).