Apple adds FaceTime video chat support to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Refuses to install on this OSX.5.8. It says I'm missing Security Patch 2010-005 and to check with Software Update. Done that. I'm up to date. Restarted the Mac. Facetime still refuses to install because "You're missing an imprtant Security Patch 2010-005", etc....

But if you want Facetime (Beta) for Mac, get it here.

You?re missing Snow Leopard. The site states: Requires Mac OS X v10.6.4 Snow Leopard or later.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You?re missing Snow Leopard. The site states: Requires Mac OS X v10.6.4 Snow Leopard or later.

Aha! Yeah, I did miss that! Oh well...

Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    It won't work at all, on either my MacBook Pro or my daughter's brand new iMac. It just spins and spins at the "signing in" stage.

I think it might be a port-forwarding thing.

So that leads me to my question:

If I have to use port forwarding, then how the heck do I use Facetime on my MacBook Pro, on my iPod Touch and my daughter's iMac at the same time, on the same network?
  • Reply 64 of 86
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    How do you set this up to work when you want to call yourself from your phone to your computer? I have the same email on both and I can call my computer from the phone no problem but not the other way around. Then I thought maybe it's because of the same email, so I switched my computer to using a different email but I still can't Facetime my phone from the computer, it says I am busy. I guess I need to somehow register that my email on the phone is for Facetime but I don't know how and don't have anyone with another iPhone to test this with...
  • Reply 65 of 86
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Different purposes, Unix philosophy. Facetime is video chat. iChat is text chat. I think the brand FaceTime makes it profitable to execute the each tool does it's job well idea rather than just bury ever more features into the same wrapper.

Ummm.....Hiro, you knew about iChat AV, right? You know, the one with video chat...
  • Reply 66 of 86
    I chat has such better features like 3 way calling screen sharing etc. I hope this is not going to replace ichat. I needs to grow and be better than ichat.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Just Face Time'd my phone from my Mac. Works well. Forgot how ugly I am!

I'm sure you are beautiful in your own way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Let's see. Call yourself on your iPhone 4 or new touch, put it on the back camera, and point it at your computer's camera. You see screens within screens, receding into infinity, and hear echoes receding into the wifi matrix. What does it all mean?

You are so high right now.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Call the phone from the Mac using your number and the Mac from the phone using your email address, mine are in the same contact, easy, peasy and works like a charm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

How do you set this up to work when you want to call yourself from your phone to your computer? I have the same email on both and I can call my computer from the phone no problem but not the other way around. Then I thought maybe it's because of the same email, so I switched my computer to using a different email but I still can't Facetime my phone from the computer, it says I am busy. I guess I need to somehow register that my email on the phone is for Facetime but I don't know how and don't have anyone with another iPhone to test this with...

• Reply 69 of 86
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You are so high right now.

How did you know? But I'm always like this, since 1967 anyway.

Seriously though, I'm tellin' y'all that the key difference between FaceTime and preceding video chat setups is the rear camera, and the ease of switching between them. They could have called it PlaceTime, almost. Now any newish Mac has potential tentacles to intelligent, handheld, instantly responsive webcams around the world. "Point it that way . . . lemme see that . . . " and so on. Are you listening, Dr. Milmoss?
  • Reply 70 of 86
    I'm listening. If I ever have to check the back of my head I'll keep it mind.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Just downloaded, installed, and tested between my iPhone and Mac.

Works beautifully, both ways. (On the iPhone, just pull up the Contacts list and touch the icon on the bottom right that says 'Facetime').
  • Reply 72 of 86
    But overall works well. Placed calls from MacBook in Tokyo to iPhones in Atlanta and Minneapolis. Really hoping apple makes a peripheral cam for iPad.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just downloaded, installed, and tested between my iPhone and Mac.

Works beautifully, both ways. (On the iPhone, just pull up the Contacts list and touch the icon on the bottom right that says 'Facetime').

Oddly, I can call my Mac from my iPhone, but not vice-versa. I'm probably using the same ID on both, but then neither should work, right?
  • Reply 74 of 86
    i tried calling my iPhone number from Mac, but it says i need to 'update to the latest version of FaceTime'.

anyone know why?
  • Reply 75 of 86
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Oddly, I can call my Mac from my iPhone, but not vice-versa. I'm probably using the same ID on both, but then neither should work, right?

It would seem neither should, but if it works, it works. Anyway, I just added a second email address to my Mac, that of my wife's, so now I don't have to give out my actual Apple ID as an address, which is the same as my main email. It was easy to add this second email from Preferences under FaceTime. Then I called the Mac, after doing the verification routine, and it just went and worked.

Amazing, really. What's curious is how little delay there is between the two ends of the call.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It won't work at all, on either my MacBook Pro or my daughter's brand new iMac. It just spins and spins at the "signing in" stage.

I think it might be a port-forwarding thing.

So that leads me to my question:

If I have to use port forwarding, then how the heck do I use Facetime on my MacBook Pro, on my iPod Touch and my daughter's iMac at the same time, on the same network?

I had the same spining at the "signing in" stage here too. Just turned off my fire wall and it worked straight away. Anybody know which ports to open so I can turn my firewall on again?
  • Reply 77 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

You have two different email addresses, right, one on the phone and one on the computer? Once you call one with the other, you add the other to the contact list, and they can each call the other. I've done it both ways now.

But I didn't see a way to manually add my touch as a contact on the Mac. I had to call the Mac with the touch to add the contact. Yes it is weird.

You have me completely confused. I have one email address at both locations... my mobile me email address, which is what I am using for FaceTime on my Mac. When I try to "call" that email address from the iPhone 4, it immediately opens mail and tries to send an email instead.

OOOPS! Well, I have been doing it all wrong. didn't notice that in contacts you have that "FaceTime" button down in the lower right to initiate from iPhone. Lol, its working now, although it appears you have to have FaceTime open first on the Mac to make it work... would be nice if it opened automatically when someone is trying to contact you.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

I had the same spining at the "signing in" stage here too. Just turned off my fire wall and it worked straight away. Anybody know which ports to open so I can turn my firewall on again?

Once you get past the "signing in" stage you can turn on the firewall again, without opening any additional ports, and it should work. At least that was my experience. Using this method I've been able to activate Facetime on all 3 of my devices (2 Macs and one iPod Touch) and converse easily between them. Each device must be signed in to FaceTime using a different Apple ID.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Each device must be signed in to FaceTime using a different Apple ID.

You would think so, but apparently having only one ID for both is only a problem with the Mac calling to the iPhone. The other direction still works. My experience, so far. Anyone else try this?
  • Reply 80 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You would think so, but apparently having only one ID for both is only a problem with the Mac calling to the iPhone. The other direction still works. My experience, so far. Anyone else try this?

The problem with this is that if someone calls this single Apple ID, then both your devices should ring. Unless that's what you want, of course...