HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 361 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This has become a pretty long thread. and some people wonder why articles of other companies products are here. We can see why.
  • Reply 362 of 433
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This has become a pretty long thread. and some people wonder why articles of other companies products are here. We can see why.

Yeah 'cause AI forum users are very reactionary.
  • Reply 363 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah 'cause AI forum users are very reactionary.

Some definitely are. I haven't been following this thread.
  • Reply 364 of 433

Mmmm...

The message above this one is number 294.

The page summary at the top and bottom of each page (in the forum thread) shows 10 pages.

At 40 posts per page there should be 400 posts prior to mine.

???

• Reply 365 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm...

The page summary at the top and bottom of each page (in the forum thread) shows 10 pages.

???

It varies depending on the lengths of the posts. Often, there are only 30 posts per page, sometimes less. And I'm only seeing that we're on page 8.
  • Reply 366 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Mmmm...

???

That would be the maximum for 10 pages. 10 x40 = 400, which mean my post would push it the 11th page, which I doubt it will as that would be a 1:37 odds. I say 37 because it was 3 posts ago I noticed the 10 pages.

the reason for this is appl is now gone from the site with an admin service in vBulletin called Tacky Goes To Coventry. It makes him invisible but it doesn?t block or delete his account, in and of itself. The admins can see him and it?s possible he is still posting without realizing that his posts are no longer showing up to any normal users or those not logged in at all.

Based on the time I noticed the 10 pages, Melgross posted number 292 which means at least 69 posts were from aapl (assuming he?s the only person on this thread sent to Coventry). 40 (posts) x 8 (pages) = 320 (posts) − 292 (posts) = 28 + 40 (for page 9) = 68 + 1 (to make page 10 appear) = at least 69 missing posts.
  • Reply 367 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would be the maximum for 10 pages. 10 x40 = 400, which mean my post would push it the 11th page, which I doubt it will as that would be a 1:37 odds. I say 37 because it was 3 posts ago I noticed the 10 pages.

the reason for this is appl is now gone from the site with an admin service in vBulletin called Tacky Goes To Coventry. The admins can see him and it’s possible he is still no posting without realizing that his posts are no longer showing up to any normal users or those not logged in at all.

Based on the time I noticed the 10 pages, Melgross has posted number 292 which means at least 69 posts were from aapl (assuming he’s the only person on this thread sent to Coventry. 40 x 8 = 320 − 292 = 28 + 40 (for page 9) = 68 + 1 (to make page 10 appear) = 69.

You're right about that too. I forgot, but since that's how I got here today, that is, seeing a complaint in my e-mail, I should have thought about it. I see his posts, but they are no longer numbered. But I'm still only seeing 8 pages.
  • Reply 368 of 433
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

It varies depending on the lengths of the posts. Often, there are only 30 posts per page, sometimes less. And I'm only seeing that we're on page 8.

No. Appl's posts have been removed.

If you didn't see it, his last post told another member to F off!

I can't understand the troll mentality anyway, but it's really curious how some of them hit their most annoying heights, and then... out of the blue... commit hari kari.

Takes all sorts I guess.
  • Reply 369 of 433
    Quote:

the reason for this is appl is now gone from the site with an admin service in vBulletin called Tacky Goes To Coventry. It makes him invisible but it doesn?t block or delete his account, in and of itself. The admins can see him and it?s possible he is still posting without realizing that his posts are no longer showing up to any normal users or those not logged in at all.

Based on the time I noticed the 10 pages, Melgross posted number 292 which means at least 69 posts were from aapl (assuming he?s the only person on this thread sent to Coventry). 40 (posts) x 8 (pages) = 320 (posts) − 292 (posts) = 28 + 40 (for page 9) = 68 + 1 (to make page 10 appear) = at least 69 missing posts.

Wow! You're good at this forum stuff!

Now, do you know anything about computers?

• Reply 370 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That all depends on how you define computer.
  • Reply 371 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

No. Appl's posts have been removed.

If you didn't see it, his last post told another member to F off!

I can't understand the troll mentality anyway, but it's really curious how some of them hit their most annoying heights, and then... out of the blue... commit hari kari.

Takes all sorts I guess.

Well, once you peak there's only one way left to go. Trolling is like a drug. You start off with a few hits, chatting with your mates. Then you need more, you need more attention and deeper highs... In the end you don't know your head from your butt and the drug is the one doing the talking.

appl was clearly a previous highly incendiary poster of one of several names, and though he started of lightly it looks like it spiralled out of control fairly rapidly. I didn't see the F Off post, like I said, probably by that time it was purely the "drugs" aka trolling addiction doing the posting.
  • Reply 372 of 433
    Quote:

Douché... Er, ah, Touché -- I mean a "proper" computer running a "proper" OS. Say, something like my TiVo.

• Reply 373 of 433
    Quote:

Quote:

Remember how I tinkered with parsing forums for iPhone? I'm still curious about optimising forum interfaces for mobile devices, tablets and subnotebooks. In the land of Twitter and Facebook and Chat dominance it really is fascinating how some of us still enjoy the ol' Forums.

Been spending the past two years building up my savings and in a fairly stable (thus far) flexible job. Being broke twice before, it's hard to consider jumping to a new venture with your own capital...!
  • Reply 374 of 433
    Quote:

You're right about that too. I forgot, but since that's how I got here today, that is, seeing a complaint in my e-mail, I should have thought about it. I see his posts, but they are no longer numbered. But I'm still only seeing 8 pages.

Are you on Safari? On both the iPad and a Mac I see 10 pages. Or maybe because you are logged on as a mod.

• Reply 375 of 433
    Quote:

Douché... Er, ah, Touché -- I mean a "proper" computer running a "proper" OS. Say, something like my TiVo.

Your Tivo runs a cellphone OS like the iPad, didn't you know? You can make calls on your Tivo... True story.
  • Reply 376 of 433
    Quote:

Are you on Safari? On both the iPad and a Mac I see 10 pages. Or maybe because you are logged on as a mod.

Our thread is ruined, ruined I tells ya! It freaks me out seeing Page 9 and 10 but not being able to go there. I'm worried there's a really awesome discussion I'm not part of.
  • Reply 377 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Your Tivo runs a cellphone OS like the iPad, didn't you know? You can make calls on your Tivo... True story.

It's just that you look so silly when you're walking around.
  • Reply 378 of 433
    Quote:

Remember how I tinkered with parsing forums for iPhone? I'm still curious about optimising forum interfaces for mobile devices, tablets and subnotebooks. In the land of Twitter and Facebook and Chat dominance it really is fascinating how some of us still enjoy the ol' Forums.

Been spending the past two years building up my savings and in a fairly stable (thus far) flexible job. Being broke twice before, it's hard to consider jumping to a new venture with your own capital...!

Yes. A couple of things I'd like to see on mobile:

-- register a forum thread for push notifications

-- aggregation of these on the mobile device *

-- see aggregate indicator on lock screen

-- reflow of text, when zoomed, to stay within screen [frame] width (the frame containing this text, for example)

-- per Sol: the ability to start a post, leave for a search, another web page, another app, etc, copy some stuff, and return to the original post -- without reloading the page (losing the partially-created post)

-- on a touch device it would be nice if a textarea always forced a top, bottom, right, left margin so you could more easlly select characters close to the borders (rather than the border)

* aggergation is possible on iOS if notifications are setup properly (beginning to dislike that word)

Some of these things are doable with. third-party app and web server. Others would require OS and browser changes.

• Reply 379 of 433
    Quote:

Our thread is ruined, ruined I tells ya! It freaks me out seeing Page 9 and 10 but not being able to go there. I'm worried there's a really awesome discussion I'm not part of.

Yeah, all the juicy bits are on pages 9 and 10.

FWIW, I did try to JailBreak my TiVo ... I just forgot why

• Reply 380 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's just that you look so silly when you're walking around.

Ha! Mas o menos... Actually, I look silly when seated at a computer, too

Only a few more posts like this, and we'll pass through the portal into the promised land of page 9.