HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 381 of 433

Here's a thought.

In order to bring the page summary back into line with the pages -- why don't we reinstate @appl's posts. They could be displayed in large, bold, red (or yellow) type on a gray background -- alerting readers to avoid reading them.

That would show that troll a thing or too...

Oops... I think I'm coming down with something...

• Reply 382 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

No. Appl's posts have been removed.

If you didn't see it, his last post told another member to F off!

I can't understand the troll mentality anyway, but it's really curious how some of them hit their most annoying heights, and then... out of the blue... commit hari kari.

Takes all sorts I guess.

Because I'm a mod, I see all his posts. As I said, while they're still there, though collapsed, the numbers have been removed. I'm still on page 8, no matter what is being said.
  • Reply 383 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Are you on Safari? On both the iPad and a Mac I see 10 pages. Or maybe because you are logged on as a mod.

Mac Pro, 27" monitor. It's what I've been using for a couple of months.

Just looked at my iPad. 313 posts (before this one), and on page 8.

I don't know if being a mod changes the page number. I never thought about it before. Maybe we should look at another long thread to see if the same thing is happening, just out of curiosity.
  • Reply 384 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's just that you look so silly when you're walking around.

It's having the power company truck following you around wherever you go that makes it difficult.
  • Reply 385 of 433
    Also for some reason, and only on this thread, when I click on the link in Mail, it takes me to the top of the page, not to the current post. Odd!
  • Reply 386 of 433
    Hmm! It seems to be doing it with my posts, taking me to the top of the page. Never had that before.
  • Reply 387 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Also for some reason, and only on this thread, when I click on the link in Mail, it takes me to the top of the page, not to the current post. Odd!

Yes! It doesn't refresh to the current post either -- the server must be losing state!

• Reply 388 of 433
    Quote:

Hmm! It seems to be doing it with my posts, taking me to the top of the page. Never had that before.

Obviously, someone is accessing this thread with a WP7 prototype and it's screwing up everything...

... Probably it even affected @appl ... The Devil made him do it!

• Reply 389 of 433
    Quote:

Obviously, someone is accessing this thread with a WP7 prototype and it's screwing up everything...

... Probably it even affected @appl ... The Devil made him do it!

Well, something weird is happening.
  • Reply 390 of 433

While we're at it -- the spell checker acts weird some times. It changes a correctly-spelled word to a different, more common, word.

It is particulary tricky if you are typing on a mobile device and watching the kb more than what you are typing.

Edit: Ohhhh... Page 9, at last!

• Reply 391 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

While we're at it -- the spell checker acts weird some times. It changes a correctly-spelled word to a different, more common, word.

It is particulary tricky if you are typing on a mobile device and watching the kb more than what you are typing.

Edit: Ohhhh... Page 9, at last!

On OS X you can just tell the spell checker to learn the spelling of the word you want to keep. I believe the next version of iOS includes editable dictionaries? Or has that already happened?
  • Reply 392 of 433
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

So, the trolls get to screw up threads even after they have gone!

Seriously, how long does it take before action is taken? Letting these guys post 300+ posts in just a couple of weeks (and derailing numerous threads in the process) just encourages them to re-join and... do it all again.
  • Reply 393 of 433
    Quote:

On OS X you can just tell the spell checker to learn the spelling of the word you want to keep. I believe the next version of iOS includes editable dictionaries? Or has that already happened?

I just wish for a universal spellcheck the way we have it in OS X. I make more typos on my iPad than on my Mac Pro, and sometimes, I miss them. When you post somewhere that doesn't allow editing, it's a problem.
  • Reply 394 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

So, the trolls get to screw up threads even after they have gone!

Seriously, how long does it take before action is taken? Letting these guys post 300+ posts in just a couple of weeks (and derailing numerous threads in the process) just encourages them to re-join and... do it all again.

It really isn't easy. I've had people accuse me of being a troll when I didn't like something Apple did. People have to be allowed their opinions even when they're far out. As long as they don't abuse people in some way, or make derogatory statements that are inflammatory, it's hard to do much, and be fair. And honestly, some of the "refutations" are worse than the original trolling.
  • Reply 395 of 433
    Quote:

It seems like it's more than just the OS X spell checker. On this site, It will, at times, not let me type the word I want with the spelling I want -- when originally entering a post. I must first post the post, then go back and edit it -- then, all is fine!

FWIW, the same thing sometimes happens with acronyms, such as the FWIW to start this sentence -- these are converted to lower case>

I think both happen when you preview a post, before posting it.

• Reply 396 of 433
    Quote:

It seems like it's more than just the OS X spell checker. On this site, It will, at times, not let me type the word I want with the spelling I want -- when originally entering a post. I must first post the post, then go back and edit it -- then, all is fine!

FWIW, the same thing sometimes happens with acronyms, such as the FWIW to start this sentence -- these are converted to lower case>

I think both happen when you preview a post, before posting it.

FWIW, I'm not seeing that behavior.
  • Reply 397 of 433
    Quote:

It really isn't easy. I've had people accuse me of being a troll when I didn't like something Apple did. People have to be allowed their opinions even when they're far out. As long as they don't abuse people in some way, or make derogatory statements that are inflammatory, it's hard to do much, and be fair. And honestly, some of the "refutations" are worse than the original trolling.

I agree. I act as a mod on a friend's LiveCast -- often, it is a fine line between a spammer/troller and one who contributes to the dialog.

The "great" spammers/trolls (like the legendary Eric Schmidt* ) go right up to the line, but do not cross.

* One of the greatest trolls of all time

I am sure that many of us come across as a troll when the discussion is on a topic in which we specialize -- and others are making blatant, false claims. I know I do!

Here's a recent example of someone who appeared to be a troll, but was not.

It was Antennaegate. A professional (a dentist, I think) bought a new iP4. It worked fine in the Apple store and the nearby AT&T store. But 200 yards from either, he could not hold any bars and would drop calls. He did not want to use a case. Three replacements later (and as many trips to the Apple and AT&T stores)... he was pissed and frustrated AIR he had sold his 3GS -- which he really liked.

He logged into an AI forum and posted questions about what others were seeing. It was a pretty mild post, considering his recent experience.

There were a lot of trolls on that thread -- and some (me included) thought he was just another paid hack.

But, his posts, while negative, were well reasoned. Several members drew him out -- he had a valid gripe!

He returned the iP4, but looks forward to a fix or the 1P5 when it comes out.

I have, since, seen him contribute to other threads -- he is definitely not a troll!

• Reply 398 of 433

So far, page 9 is a big disappointment...

...Maybe page 10

• Reply 399 of 433
    I've said this before, but I think troll behavior is best discerned over a number of posts.

There are lots of people here who have some pet gripes about Apple, or at times bitch about what Apple does or doesn't do-- just as you'd expect.

But there are more than a few that never, ever, ever say a single thing about Apple or Apple's customers that isn't couched in the bitterest, most negative terms possible. Often this takes the form of peppering a thread with endless sarcastic little jibes, and sometimes it takes the form of longer rants about Apple's greed, or hatred of freedom, or plans to kill us all, or just the generally distasteful nature of anyone likes or uses their kit.

Myself, I don't see why it's necessary to indulge these types. They never bring anything but discord to any thread they participate in, they're not making legitimate criticisms, or if they are it's incidental to what they're about. I guess the concern is that we don't want a forum of fan boys and a certain population of cranky contrarians keeps us honest, but it really doesn't seem to do anything more than derail a lot of threads into bickering.

Honestly, is anyone expecting, say, Blackintosh to bring on point criticism to bear? I can't see anything but relentless negativity. How is someone who posts nothing but complaints and bile in a platform specific user forum anything but a troll? And how is not possible to make that distinction when you have a pretty lengthy posting history to go on?
  • Reply 400 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

typical Microsoft drone/astroturfer post. Yes there are many things wrong with Windows 7.

1) Microsoft - one of the worst companies ever

2) Requires one to run Anti-Virus, Intrusion detection, etc... just to have a tiny illusion of security. Why not just fix your broken OS?

3) Super expensive. How much does it cost? Not to mention the "upgrades" cost

4) How many versions do they need to try and nickel and dime people?

5) The registry

6) Uses proprietary file formats and protocols everywhere rather than use existing standards

7) i could go on for a long time...

well said. i will also add...its totally unrefined garish looking UI