Apple's North Carolina data center to open "any day now"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

ladies and gentlemen i give you ed209

<ed-209>

FREEZE!

YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF SECTION 3.1415926-1984: INSTALLING WINDOWS ON APPLE HARDWARE.

YOU ARE ORDERED TO STOP IMMEDIATELY.

YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO COMPLY...

</ed-209>
  • Reply 22 of 93
    I hope we can get a virtual tour of this place once it's up and running. I'd love to see the belly of the beast.
  • Reply 23 of 93
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I hope we can get a virtual tour of this place once it's up and running. I'd love to see the belly of the beast.

I doubt it would look terribly exiting.
  • Reply 24 of 93
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Flash memory is a natural replacement for the traditional hard drive as prices come down. Nothing to do with cloud computing which in my view is a horrendous idea. Reminds me of client/server computing in the 1980's with dumb terminals connected to a central mainframe. Not everyone has access to fast reliable broadband. Hard drives are here to stay in one form or another.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    tom jtom j Posts: 16member
    Send Bill back up there, but FOCUS this time.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    In the video, what are those two cylinder-like projections? The nuclear power station up the ways from me has similar cylinders! Heheheheh.

Really; what are they?
  • Reply 27 of 93
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Does anyone have a clue where are the power lines!?

Such a remote building, that needs so much power and no power lines visible!!?
  • Reply 28 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I doubt it would look terribly exiting.

Excitement is in the eye of the beholder.

I am easily mesmerized by such simple things as campfire flames and pretty blinking lights.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

In the video, what are those two cylinder-like projections? The nuclear power station up the ways from me has similar cylinders! Heheheheh.

Really; what are they?

They'd tell you, but then they'd have to kill you.
  • Reply 30 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ppietra View Post

The power lines are probably buried.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, it would be really cool if they covered the entire roof with solar panels. Granted, solar technology currently doesn't have the energy density necessary to power a server farm on its own, but it would be a nice supplement to grid power.

Okay. But now I'm just thinking of some basic calculations: let's say, just for the fun of it, we could get 75 watts out of a 4.5 (1.5' x 3') sq ft panel. The roof of the building would be able to hold about 100,000 panels, yielding about 7.5 MW of power. Maybe that's enough??

That would be cool if the entire facility was "green".
  • Reply 31 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Flash memory is a natural replacement for the traditional hard drive as prices come down. Nothing to do with cloud computing which in my view is a horrendous idea. Reminds me of client/server computing in the 1980's with dumb terminals connected to a central mainframe. Not everyone has access to fast reliable broadband. Hard drives are here to stay in one form or another.

I completely agree. Remember when they were called "thin clients" and we all hated them?
  • Reply 32 of 93
    Quote:

Really; what are they?

They are obviously tankage of some sort. I can only think of two things: fuel for backup generators (although this is unlikely; they're way big for that and such tanks are usually buried.

It does look like the tanks are tucked in with all the other HVAC stuff in that "corral" out back. Could it be makeup water for a cooling system or something like that? Does anybody know if data center hardware is water cooled?
  • Reply 33 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

they seriously need a big apple logo on top.

Actually these kinds of data centers prefer to remain as anonymous as possible for security reasons.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporkupine View Post

I completely agree. Remember when they were called "thin clients" and we all hated them?

The best thing about thin clients was when the office network went down and we all got to go home early.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ppietra View Post

I'm sure Steve took one look at the plans and ordered the power lines buried. He likes minimalistic design and above ground power lines would look cluttered around his shiny new building.

Quote:

Really; what are they?

Like someone else said, my first thought was fuel for the backup power system, but they seem kind of big for that.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    The large dirt area in the first video is the construction staging area. With this area completely vacant indicates that the building is very close to opening. The second video shows this area full of equipment and building materials. The white roof is called a "cool roof" for higher reflectivity and thus better energy conservation. What happened to the iWeb update?
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporkupine View Post

Back in my university days, there were thin clients all over the campus, which was pretty convenient, actually, especially since I didn't have my own laptop at the time. No matter what building I was in, I was within spitting distance of a terminal, which I could use to check e-mail, grades, chat, etc. Thin clients have their place, for sure.
  • Reply 38 of 93
    Could have used iMovies' "stabilization" option.

Love that red clay of NC.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Data Center!

love it. you win the interwebs

edit: they should add that into the taiwanese animation of steve jobs as darth vader: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-YesqzvNk
  • Reply 40 of 93
    c-rayc-ray Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

Love that red clay of NC.

Yeah, Apple has plenty of room out back to plant an orchard and grow ... Apples !!