Apple's North Carolina data center to open "any day now"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

they seriously need a big apple logo on top.

LOL that's exactly what I was going to post but you beat me to it! :-)

Alos the parking space might look a little small in context to the size of the building as a whole......
  • Reply 42 of 93
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

The power lines are probably buried.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, it would be really cool if they covered the entire roof with solar panels. Granted, solar technology currently doesn't have the energy density necessary to power a server farm on its own, but it would be a nice supplement to grid power.

Okay. But now I'm just thinking of some basic calculations: let's say, just for the fun of it, we could get 75 watts out of a 4.5 (1.5' x 3') sq ft panel. The roof of the building would be able to hold about 100,000 panels, yielding about 7.5 MW of power. Maybe that's enough??

That would be cool if the entire facility was "green".

well, at least they would have pleased a few people with that - Al Gore
  • Reply 43 of 93
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I would not doubt Apple starting up construction on phase two of the Data Center.

You have to keep in mind what Jobs said about the new Mac Airs. "We believe all notebooks will start being like this". Maybe everything mobile from Apple will follow this blueprint. We have to believe that it will reach a point where the storage capacity for everything Mobile will be reached.

Or at least, the needs and wants of us will become to hugh. Of course, I would like to carry all the Star Wars Sixology 3D, (when Lucas puts them out) plus both Avatars Movies, (when Cameron decides) in a Touch. But there will always be some kind of limits. Syorage will never handle all of our Vanities.

So it makes sense for them to expand on it know. I am sure Jobs and Apple have got VERY definite plans, at least for us here in the U.S. Or will this Data Farm handle all the Streaming Needs for the whole entire World? (I don't know, I pick tomatoes for a living)

But if that is the case. You think Apple would have learned a lesson from Pearl Harbor, (the movie

not the event). Don't park all those planes together to close. You have enemies, believe it or not.

One little incendiery device will wipe you out.

We live in days where the threat of Terrorism is in full mode. But I am referring to all those other jealous PC makers out there.

I don't think they should keep all their eggs in one Basket. (Plus, I am sure the State of N.C.

is the only state that needs a little bit of Commerce come their way).
  • Reply 44 of 93
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    If you look at the old "under construction" video in the story, you will see that while the existing building was under construction, lots of trucks and trailers were parked in the now-vacant space. The new story would indicate that the now vacant space was cleared AFTER the data-center was completed and that isn't born out when you play the old video.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Steve said there will be a couple of surprises this year. (Another Apple Special Event?) This must be the last one.

Don't forget about the talks about iTunes Streaming, where all your content is stored in the cloud and stream anywhere, on any idevices.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Admittedly not knowing much about it, but could this building and the expansion have anything do with the possibility of Verizon and other carriers coming on board?

If cloud means I won't have to have any software and such, and that it will all be handled and done at places like this ? I'll pass.

This is starting to get a bit scary. I mean, is Big Brother's name "Steve Jobs / Apple"?

Is Apple trying to control the universe?

I have a server and it controls my office, if Apple is going to have 1,000's of servers, who are they controlling, keeping under their thumb, watching out for, looking at? This can't be to help control pirated software? Damn that seems like a lot of money for a few folks who are cheating?

YES I know pirated software is more then a small problem, FOR EVERYONE, but were talking about Apple here, not everyone, or are we taking about everyone?

Skip
  • Reply 47 of 93
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    500,000 square feet (the size of this data center) is just under 9 football fields (including end zones). That's a LOT of space.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

But if that is the case. You think Apple would have learned a lesson from Pearl Harbor, (the movie

not the event). Don't park all those planes together to close. You have enemies, believe it or not.

One little incendiery device will wipe you out.

We live in days where the threat of Terrorism is in full mode. But I am referring to all those other jealous PC makers out there.

Good points. I hear that Dell will stop at nothing.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So how far away is this data center from the power plant and internet backbone? I recall reading that it was pretty darn close to each, thus making it an ideal location.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    This is a huge step, and I feel, something much more than an app. store. The number of apps. in the current store require nothing close to this. I believe with 10.7 and the future of iOS, this building may be the foundation of another Apple revolution. Like the ipod, iphone, imac, etc. it's probably well be beyond what any of us can guess, but I would look in the direction of much of the current computing programs/functions/storage being remote. This could potentially increase the functionality of not only the new Mac Air, but the ipod/phone/pad to near desktop capabilities. That would be revolutionary!
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Actually these kinds of data centers prefer to remain as anonymous as possible for security reasons.

Which is why Apple isn't blabbing about what this facility is for.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff K-C View Post

This is a huge step, and I feel, something much more than an app. store. The number of apps. in the current store require nothing close to this. I believe with 10.7 and the future of iOS, this building may be the foundation of another Apple revolution. Like the ipod, iphone, imac, etc. it's probably well be beyond what any of us can guess, but I would look in the direction of much of the current computing programs/functions/storage being remote. This could potentially increase the functionality of not only the new Mac Air, but the ipod/phone/pad to near desktop capabilities. That would be revolutionary!

I'm speculating that Apple has specific goals for the direction of iOS and Mac OS X, and the data center is an integral part of that. I think OS X will become the "pro" OS?pro users will run their pro apps on their MacBook Pros and Mac Pros. iOS, on the other hand, will be a consumer OS, powered by the data center, which will provide storage, application and other services.

I'm also guessing that, as demand increases in coming years, Apple will build additional data centers.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Perhaps an Apple logo on the roof will reduce the heat deflection, someone mentiond that as the reason for the white roof.

For an industrial unit it's quite pretty isn't it, or it might just be the RDF making me think that.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The video looks like crap on my iPhone but I'd have to say they are laying out a parking lot. They certainly could use one.

In any event I'd hate to have to write the check for the electric bill every month for that place. I probably could retire on a couple of those.

Actually the dirt area on the video was already there *during* construction of the centre and is not a new expansion. It was filled with the many cars of the people that were building the centre and was also a staging area for the equipment etc. It's clearly visible in earlier pictures.

Apple *may* in fact be doubling the centre, but the video of the dirt area is not actually evidence of anything like that.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Everyone is making the assumption that all 500,000 square feet presently under roof are currently filled. That may not necessarily be the case. As data throughput ramps up, there already may be sufficient existing vacant floorspace to increase capacity by inserting additional container-sized modular server units.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Actually, the dirt area towards the top of the screen/opposite side of building was used for parking during construction and for all the equipment. Likely some of it will get regrown with grass and some for parking or perhaps some ancillary buildings.

Finally, someone gets it right.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ppietra View Post

Does anyone have a clue where are the power lines!?

Such a remote building, that needs so much power and no power lines visible!!?

Underground, like the majority of power lines in most modern cities.

Thompson
  • Reply 58 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Underground, like the majority of power lines in most modern cities.

Thompson

• Reply 59 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Actually these kinds of data centers prefer to remain as anonymous as possible for security reasons.

Time will tell.

As if that's remotely possible under the circumstances.

Thompson
  • Reply 60 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Admittedly not knowing much about it, but could this building and the expansion have anything do with the possibility of Verizon and other carriers coming on board?

If cloud means I won't have to have any software and such, and that it will all be handled and done at places like this … I'll pass.

This is starting to get a bit scary. I mean, is Big Brother's name "Steve Jobs / Apple"?

Is Apple trying to control the universe?

I have a server and it controls my office, if Apple is going to have 1,000's of servers, who are they controlling, keeping under their thumb, watching out for, looking at? This can't be to help control pirated software? Damn that seems like a lot of money for a few folks who are cheating?

YES I know pirated software is more then a small problem, FOR EVERYONE, but were talking about Apple here, not everyone, or are we taking about everyone?

Skip

That's a heck of a lot of rhetorical questions based on nothing but rumor and speculation.

All we know right now is Apple has built a huge data center. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with guessing the purpose and then lighting the conspiracy theories.

Update: guessing the purpose is fine... it's kind of what we do here. The part that is "getting ahead of ourselves" is extending our own guesses into conspiracies.

Thompson