Apple countersues Motorola over multi-touch iPhone patents

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As expected, Apple has responded to a patent suit from Motorola with its own legal action, accusing the company of violating six patents related to multi-touch features found in the iPhone.



Apple filed two lawsuits on Friday in a U.S. District Court in the Western District of Wisconsin. The Cupertino, Calif., company seeks to prove to the court that Motorola has violated six patents related to multi-touch gestures first pioneered with the iPhone.



Apple's suit names a number of popular Motorola handsets as infringing. Those named in the complaint are the Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Cliq, Cliq XT, BackFlip, Devour A555, Devour i1 and Charm 1.



The patents named in Apple's suit are:

U.S. Patent No. 7,812,828 - "Elipse fitting for multi-touch surfaces"

U.S. Patent No. 7,663,607 - "Multipoint touchscreen"

U.S. Patent No. 5,379,430 - "Object-oriented system locator system"

U.S. Patent No. 7,479,949 - "Touch screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics"

U.S. Patent No. 6,493,002 - "Method and apparatus for displaying and accessing control and status information in a computer system"

U.S. Patent No. 5,838,315 - "Support for custom user-interaction elements in a graphical, event-driven computer system"

The legal action is in response to a lawsuit filed earlier in October with the U.S. International Trade Commission by Motorola against Apple. In that case, Motorola has accused the iPhone, iPod touch and certain Macs of infringing on patents related to a range of technologies, including 3G, GPRS, 802.11 wireless, and antenna design.



Motorola has asserted that it attempted to license technology to Apple, and engaged in "lengthy negotiations" with the iPhone maker, but a deal could not be reached. The company has claimed that Apple "refused" to pay for a license.



Motorola also took preemptive action against Apple earlier this month, in anticipation of a countersuit, and asked a court to invalidate 11 iPhone-related patents. None of the 11 patents named in Motorola's complaint are included in Apple's lawsuit.



Those patents were, however, used in a suit Apple filed against HTC earlier this year. Motorola noted to the court that Apple has a "history of asserting" that handsets running Google's Android mobile operating system violate the 11 named patents.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 99
    Protect whats yours.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Well, they are apples patents after all.
  • Reply 3 of 99
    Apple will kick HTC and Moto's butts as soon as they release the iPhone to Verizon.



    Then then they will beat them again in terms of costs of Patent Licensing. Moto may go back in the red after paying their legal fees.



    Time will tell.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member
    When Steve first showed multi-touch on the iPhone 2G way back at Macworld 2007, he said "Boy have we patented it."



    He wasn't kidding.
  • Reply 5 of 99
    Apple must be scared..



    oh wait, that's only a valid reply when its others suing apple
  • Reply 6 of 99
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


    Apple must be scared..



    oh wait, that's only a valid reply when its others suing apple



    What are you smoking? Apple produced multitouch phones first, and everyone said they'll never work. Then when they worked, everyone went out and copied the iPhone as fast as they could. Then Motorola sued Apple. Now Apple countersues. And sure enough, here you are, trolling.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post


    What are you smoking? Apple produced multitouch phones first, and everyone said they'll never work. Then when they worked, everyone went out and copied the iPhone as fast as they could. Then Motorola sued Apple. Now Apple countersues. And sure enough, here you are, trolling.



    Nokia sues apple for patents they well and truly own, yet when that occurred "oh nokia are scared, they cant compete, yada yada yada"



    pots are always a different shade when its apple





    Lets see the last thread about motorola suing apple, one of the first posts



    Quote:

    when you can't innovate, litigate!



  • Reply 8 of 99
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


    Nokia sues apple for patents they well and truly own, yet when that occurred "oh nokia are scared, they cant compete, yada yada yada"



    pots are always a different shade when its apple





    Lets see the last thread about motorola suing apple, one of the first posts



    If you want a balanced dialog, try a neutral site...



    this is an apple rumors site, as such most people on it are pro-apple.



    That said, this looks like the inevitable result of having everyone ignore everyone else's IP.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple filed two lawsuits on Friday in a U.S. District Court in the Western District of Wisconsin.



    Why WI?
  • Reply 10 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post


    If you want a balanced dialog, try a neutral site...



    this is an apple rumors site, as such most people on it are pro-apple.



    That said, this looks like the inevitable result of having everyone ignore everyone else's IP.



    So what you are saying is if you want a rational, intelligent discussion, an Apple forum is not the place to have it?
  • Reply 11 of 99
    jdwjdw Posts: 633member
    It would seem Motorola still can't forget STARMAX.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    "If you can't compete, litigate."



    Sounds like a familiar quote from all the forum topics defending Apple when they got sued. Oh, how hilarious it is when the tables are turned! Hypocrites.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


    Nokia sues apple for patents they well and truly own, yet when that occurred "oh nokia are scared, they cant compete, yada yada yada"



    pots are always a different shade when its apple



    Not at all.



    Nokia sued for patents that by all reports they refused to license under the fair and nondiscriminatory terms that they are obligated to offer. That's why Apple refused to license them.



    Nokia's report essentially confirms that. If they were using 'fair and nondiscriminatory' terms, as required by their membership in the cell phone consortium, there would be no need for lengthy negotiations. Simply "these are the terms that everybody in the industry receives."



    They were clearly trying to extract extra money from Apple and Apple exercised their rights to decline to pay illegally requested license fees.
  • Reply 14 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


    Nokia sues apple for patents they well and truly own, yet when that occurred "oh nokia are scared, they cant compete, yada yada yada"



    pots are always a different shade when its apple





    Lets see the last thread about motorola suing apple, one of the first posts



    Like the patents Apple "truly" own, or are you trying to imply that Apple don't "truly" own the patents that were granted to them in exactly the same way that Nokia's patents were granted to Nokia?.
  • Reply 15 of 99
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    "If you can't compete, litigate."



    Sounds like a familiar quote from all the forum topics defending Apple when they got sued. Oh, how hilarious it is when the tables are turned! Hypocrites.



    Funny though, because all smart phones are trying to still copy the look and feel of the iPhone, and let's talk about app stores, everyone else is still trying to copy apples model.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post


    Funny though, because all smart phones are trying to still copy the look and feel of the iPhone, and let's talk about app stores, everyone else is still trying to copy apples model.



    Apple copied its competitors with including a front-facing camera and dual microphones for noise cancellation.



    Heck, if you want to talk about copying, you might as well include all the GUI elements that Apple blatantly ripped off PalmOS.
  • Reply 17 of 99
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    Apple copied its competitors with including a front-facing camera and dual microphones for noise cancellation.



    Heck, if you want to talk about copying, you might as well include all the GUI elements that Apple blatantly ripped off PalmOS.



    You didn't just compare the iPhone with a stylus-based interface, did you? Please don't tell me you did.



    In that case, well, Palm OS to be frank, sucked balls. I mean the interface was clunky, the RAM was limited, and the colors... well there wasn't any. They may have not patented the icon screen concept, so that's why Android can have a home screen and be ok. Apple isn't suing over the home screen, get over it.



    Secondly, how many phones have had video chatting that was actually easy to use. I can't think of a phone besides iphone that consumers would want off the top of my head that did so. and saying it copied the Droid X in doing dual microphones... oh please. it takes years to plan out a phone of this caliber and i very much doubt that apple would know what motorola was doing before they introduced the droid x to try to "copy" it.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post


    You didn't just compare the iPhone with a stylus-based interface, did you? Please don't tell me you did.



    In that case, well, Palm OS to be frank, sucked balls. I mean the interface was clunky, the RAM was limited, and the colors... well there wasn't any. They may have not patented the icon screen concept, so that's why Android can have a home screen and be ok. Apple isn't suing over the home screen, get over it.



    Secondly, how many phones have had video chatting that was actually easy to use. I can't think of a phone besides iphone that consumers would want off the top of my head that did so. and saying it copied the Droid X in doing dual microphones... oh please. it takes years to plan out a phone of this caliber and i very much doubt that apple would know what motorola was doing before they introduced the droid x to try to "copy" it.



    1) No, I compared the iPhone's display elements with those of PalmOS, and there is direct evidence of blatant rip-off. It doesn't matter that 8 year-old technology appears older than 3 year old technology. The fact that Apple ripped the technology off is self-evident proof enough.



    2) The dual-microphone technology was incorporated by the Nexus One long before the iPhone 4 came out.



    3) The Sprint Evo 4g had the front-facing camera before the iPhone 4. The front-facing camera on the Evo is incredibly easy to use, arguably much easier to use than the FaceTime app on the iPhone.





    And, I guarantee you that Apple will rip-off the idea of using 4g data speeds in a phone from competitors once Apple releases the next version. But, I'm sure you'll turn a blind eye to that one as well.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro;


    1) No, I compared the iPhone's display elements with those of PalmOS, and there is direct evidence of blatant rip-off. It doesn't matter that 8 year-old technology appears older than 3 year old technology. The fact that Apple ripped the technology off is self-evident proof enough.



    SNIP



    If you go back another decade you will find that Palm started out as a Newton developer. If you want to talk about prior art to any mobile OS, look no further than Apple's Newton OS.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    1) No, I compared the iPhone's display elements with those of PalmOS, and there is direct evidence of blatant rip-off. It doesn't matter that 8 year-old technology appears older than 3 year old technology. The fact that Apple ripped the technology off is self-evident proof enough.



    2) The dual-microphone technology was incorporated by the Nexus One long before the iPhone 4 came out.



    3) The Sprint Evo 4g had the front-facing camera before the iPhone 4. The front-facing camera on the Evo is incredibly easy to use, arguably much easier to use than the FaceTime app on the iPhone.





    And, I guarantee you that Apple will rip-off the idea of using 4g data speeds in a phone from competitors once Apple releases the next version. But, I'm sure you'll turn a blind eye to that one as well.



    "rip-off" /= patent infringement. "previously seen feature" /= patent infringement.



    "Apple will rip-off the idea of using 4g data speeds in a phone" LOL. What else was 4G designed for!?



    Maybe you should drop the "pro" from your user name.
Sign In or Register to comment.