Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no mention of AirPrint

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    Update works perfectly on VMware OSX Guests, I tried it this morning no problem.

For anyone who wants to know how to get OSX working in VMWare Workstation on Windows 7 for iPhone Development I have made a blog post about it on our site.

http://www.kintek.com.au/web-design-...opard-on-a-pc/
  • Reply 82 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Grrr... Mail 4.4 boots out the Letterbox plugin. I know it'll likely be just a few days before there's an update, but it begs the bigger question: Why do we still need a plugin to view our email windows side-by-side? Apple's own MoblieMe has this feature. Why not their desktop software?!?

Here is a link that shows how to fix Letterbox plugin For Mail.app 4.4 http://newmacuser.com/mailapp-letterbox-fix/
  • Reply 83 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Video as requested. Quality(1080p) will improve once youtube is done processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6ikp1ZWf0

Hey thanks for posting the video. I knew it had something to do with update that was released today. People that had the update previously still likely have the functionality still. They really must have pulled it from the build they released today.

You said something about a mini update. Where the hell do you find that in the developer account online? Never heard of that before.
  • Reply 84 of 110
    Apple.ca or Apple.com shows the 10.6.5 combo updater as:

* Version: 10.6.5

* Post Date: 10 November, 2010

* Download ID: DL1324

* File Size: 977.21 MB

When I go to download it, my download shows only 203 MB.

Anyone else having this problem?

I always like to update from the Combo Updater but don't want to until the download shows the same size as what it's supposed to be.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    "Resolves an issue in which Wikipedia information may not display correctly in Dictionary."

This was the first "fix" that I not only noticed, but repeatedly reported. Thanks AAPL!
  • Reply 86 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Just out of curiosity ... since leopard why opt for the combo updater?

Combo is the only way to go.... Sing it with me, everyone.

Combo

The only way to

Gooooo

Seriously I will never to delta updates ever again. Combo FTW.
  • Reply 87 of 110
    And I can't believe you all went 3 pages without confirming, as I have, that indeed:

It's Snappier™ !!
  • Reply 88 of 110
    Will the real 10.6.5 Combo Update please stand up?

Here ya go:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324

It's almost 1GB. But that's because it can upgrade a 10.6.0 machine all the way up in one go.
  • Reply 89 of 110
    10.6.5 so far has been a good release for me. Anything involving graphics has become smoother, especially Top Sites. I can now use the 4x6 arrangement without Safari stalling. I don't have Airprint requirements, so no comment on that.
  • Reply 90 of 110
    I have installed 10.6.5 and i have the 4.2 GM and i can print from my phone no problem. i dont have one of the e-print HP's just an officejet 8500.
  • Reply 91 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

My network is setup the same as yours except I connect my printer directly to my TimeCapsule via usb.

Also, once you set up a printer, your device remembers it - that's why my printer was already selected.

can you tell me which build of 10.6.5 you have? The build release by Apple does not support the features you are having luck with UNLESS the printer is one of 4 HP printers. Even some of their other eprint printers *such as the 8500a, do not work. You must have a build prior to 10H574.....
  • Reply 92 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

can you tell me which build of 10.6.5 you have? The build release by Apple does not support the features you are having luck with UNLESS the printer is one of 4 HP printers. Even some of their other eprint printers *such as the 8500a, do not work. You must have a build prior to 10H574.....

I dont think the Airprint support is required in the base OS. I have the 574 build. I have itunes 10.1 b2 and 4.2GM of IOS on the iphone and ipad. I print fine with this setup and DO NOT have an eprint printer.
  • Reply 93 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Actually, I want to know if its snappier...

But it is. It is!
  • Reply 94 of 110
    After 10.6.5 update USB randomly stops working on my MacPro and I have to hard reset.
  • Reply 95 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

Yeah, just email them the document that you were going to print out.

Not always an option, there are still situations where having to print out is still necessary (I wish I could never print anything again, but we're not there yet). And what about things like needing to print out something like a map for someone? Just because you don't need a feature doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
  • Reply 96 of 110
    10.6.5 is not currently compatible with PGP disk encryption. It bricked my MBP. See this support thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....3776&tstart=15
  • Reply 97 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ns57 View Post

10.6.5 is not currently compatible with PGP disk encryption. It bricked my MBP. See this support thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....3776&tstart=15

Beware anyone who offers advice about updating without first checking for compatibility issues or having a working backup or restore option available
  • Reply 98 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

The idea of a tablet is ... you don't have to print ... time has come to go paperless.

However - in the other direction

Go TO printing and paper - FROM tablet

Of clay

After 5,000 years we're finally coming around the circle

We're moving into the Digital Age

And so many of you want to hang on to the Old Ways ?

Sheez, why not just go back to Scrolls, Parchment, or chisel it in stone ?

Here's two good reasons to give the trees a break

Do you know the USA's #1 export to China ?

Paper

Yes - our old junk recycled paper, by the boatload, in convoys

China found it's cheaper for them to buy our trash than grow their own and process from scratch

Plus - our old crap is such a high grade, they can't make paper of that quality for a cheaper price

Shit Dudes, wake up - do the math, Chinese have, and bet they didn't use an abacus either

Other Reason ...

9-11

Remember the photos, videos, etc as the Twin Towers fell ?

What was the ONE thing that survived ?

Floating all over the place, would not go away, was a tidal wave

Paper - Paper - Paper

Two Massive Buildings fall - thousands of People die

But the damn paper lives on and on

Remember a TV Ad by Xerox, IBM, (?) - had a group of folks sitting around a conference table trying to figure how to cut more money from their Company's Expenses. One guy, while looking over a stack of reports/etc, asks "What about this, all this paper? How much could we save here?"

And THAT commercial was 10 or 15 years ago

We have to get off this Dead End Path of trees/printing/paper

(and get a hard ass too, skip the extra thick puffy Charmin - go European Crepe - but those with 'roids may be forgiven and excused, ha ha)

The USA's junkie habit of Paper is perhaps the best example - along with Gasoline/Cars/Varoom and Toys/Games/Entertainment - of our waste and culture of constant consumer consumption that's the primary cause of our "problems" the past few years, but has been building for 40+ years, and will be our downfall if we don't change our ways, and fast.

Get Wise - Get Hip

Think Different™

Go Digital

(good, glad to get this rant off my chest)

• Reply 99 of 110
    paper is here to stay for a while at least, unless you can get me 100+ eink pages to print to (as opposed to one reader page, so I can browse through it) I 'm going with paper because I want to save my eyes.
  • Reply 100 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think you only need the Mac to be on when you add the printer -- for a printer on your Airport.

I think the Airport gets the drivers from the Mac at setup time.

Oh, cool, thanks!