The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 377
    This simply reflects how a wealthy person can use their platform to feed their obsessions. Jobs has a man crush and he worked seven years to bring the Beatles library to Apple. The financial community thought so much of this deal and AAPL dropped $2. Yawn! Edit, $3.
  • Reply 62 of 377
    Apple = The company that cried wolf. I like the Beatles, but Apple should know that people hang on every word that comes out of Cupertino. I agree this is not an event worth the hype it got. I don't know if Apple was forced into this or chose. But, while it may be a victory for Jobs, the way they handled it pissed me off. I know that Apple is often guilty of hyperbole (the magicalness of the iPad). But, believe me, I will curb my enthusiasm for future announcements from Apple. I guess I will remember this day forever. The day that Apple cried wolf. Fool me once...
  • Reply 63 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ohcomeon View Post

I think what should be noted is that the film 'Live at the Washington Coliseum, 1964' is being streamed. This, I think, is a pointed to the announcement we can expect.

Watching it now. Awesome. I don't understand why people are being so negative. This is huge!
  • Reply 64 of 377
    Thats IT?!? ... OMFG what a joke - so iTunes has another band in their collection. Who gives a sheit.

Am I the only one waiting for "one more thing"?

Total disapointment
  • Reply 65 of 377
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I forgive apple for their one sentence of over-hype leading up to this announcement.

Beatles? Cool.

Beatles on iTunes? My cat's breath smells like cat food.
  • Reply 66 of 377
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seeaitch View Post

...why everyone has made this such a big deal for so long.

I think a lot of people here do not understand the historical and musical significance of the Beatles, nor do they understand the personal significance this has to Steve Jobs, who is a big Beatles fan. To get the Beatles on iTunes is symbolically huge. Most musicians will understand and acknowledge the genius of the fab four. If you don't get it you must be under 40 and I guess you just have to ask your parents (!)

Apart from that, most Beatles fans probably already have vinyl, tapes and cd's, and now a lot of them will buy the digital downloads.
  • Reply 67 of 377
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

This simply reflects how a wealthy person can use their platform to feed their obsessions. Jobs has a man crush and he worked seven years to bring the Beatles library to Apple. The financial community thought so much of this deal and AAPL dropped $2. Yawn! Edit, $3.

Apple is down 0.65% today because of a lackluster announcement about the Beatles. But Exxon is down 1.5%? OMG The Beatles are affecting Exxon stock, too. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE. Oh wait, it?s not, the DOW and NAS are down today for reasons other than what happens on the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 68 of 377
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!

They were the #3 selling band in 2009. They will now be the #1 selling band in 2010. You apparently know very little about the music industry

Quote:

In 2009, 39 years after breaking up, they sold the third-highest number of albums of any act in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan, with 3.3 million copies sold.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz15SZPr85w

• Reply 69 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Are all of the trolls and 14yr olds done posting yet? No? I'll wait.

I believe this was the first Troll comment in this thread (and here I am feeding you). The others are rightly expressing their disappointment, not baiting other posters into responding. So, "I don thing that word a means wha you thing it means"
  • Reply 70 of 377
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

More in the "meh" line, but then, without The Beatles, George Harrison would have never made enough money to finance "The Life of Brian"... so: yay!

What puzzles me is that the Apple homepage still reads "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget." Is today tomorrow, or will there be another, equally exciting, development tomorrow? AC/DC? Frank Zappa? There is still so much stuff missing...

Tomorrow (Wednesday) they should at least change it to "Yesterday!"
  • Reply 71 of 377
    Non event. Wake me when it's over...then again, don't. Just pour me a shot of Jameson!
  • Reply 72 of 377
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Lame. Anyone who loves the Beatles has ripped their CDs back in the late 1990s. This would have been a killer app for the iTunes Music Store's debut back in 2003, but for now, this is incredibly lame.

What this really is, is an overt way for Steve Jobs to say that he finally won the Apple Computer vs. Apple Corps. legal battle.
  • Reply 73 of 377
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    This is great news. All you naysayers are off the mark, sorry.

Apple is going to create a whole new revival of their music with this news. For millions of people they will get to understand just how incredible that band was, and how it was received back then. People get excited about bands these days, but it's as nothing to what went on back then.

Let alone the fact that in a few weeks we'll hear how many songs have been sold. Which will be a not bad retirement plan for a few generations of the four families...!
  • Reply 74 of 377
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're missing the point. This announcement has obviously ruined some people's lives forever.

How insensitive of me.
  • Reply 75 of 377
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

What's the big deal? You could always walk into Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc, and get all the Beatles albums you want and then rip them right into iTunes.

Seriously, I just don't get it. Now I could understand if you couldn't get Beatles music anywhere else...

You essentially just called the entire concept of the ITMS irrelevant and I am fairly certain there is not a single person working in any aspect of the music industry that would agree with you.
  • Reply 76 of 377
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BGPu View Post

How many did they sell the year before when they weren't pushing 2 box sets and individual releases of their remastered albums?

I can't really answer your question. And I personally was not aware that they were pushing anything lately.

However, I would hazard to guess again that it was still in the millions.

As reported, to the question "How many albums have the Beatles have sold over"

Quote:

Over 500 Million Albums...
    • Search for "Best Selling Artists" or "The Beatles" at Wikipedia.com, theres the proof there.

• During the period 1964 - 1985 the answer is 75 million (74,786,835 million to be exact).

• During the period 1991 - 2008 the answer is 57 million (source: SoundScan results quoted in Randy Lewis, "Beatles' catalog will be reissued Sept. 9 in remastered versions," Los Angeles Times, April 8, 2009).

• My informed estimate is that during the period 1986 - 1990 they sold approximately 1.5 million albums per year, for a total of approximately 7.5 million.

• Thus the answer to the question is approximately 139.5 million albums since 1964.

• 1.1 billion +

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_albums_did_the_Beatles_sell

UPDATE: Based on the reactions of many here, which seem to reiterate their malcontent for anything that Apple offers, and as evidenced by their initial reactions to the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, et., I would suggest my sales projections, i.e., of 10 million songs, are pessimistic.

It is amazing how success brings out the jealously factor.
  • Reply 77 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

I believe this was the first Troll comment in this thread (and here I am feeding you). The others are rightly expressing their disappointment, not baiting other posters into responding. So, "I don thing that word a means wha you thing it means"

See the following:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

Yeah because the world is full of poseurs who like what they are told to like and what they think will make them cool if they say they like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

Big f*cking deal.

So no the band that nearly destroyed rock 'n roll is available on iTunes.

What a waste of time.

• Reply 78 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

*meh*

Perfectly put!
  • Reply 79 of 377
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    If Jobs likes this stuff, fine. I'm sure a lot of other people do too.

But why did Apple make a BIG announcement for the rest of us who might just see them as a bunch of seriously over-rated hippy-dippy baby-boomer billionaires? Lennon and Harrison had some talent but Paul McCartney hasn't penned a decent tune since around 1970. As songwriters, Steve Earle and others kick his ass all over town but Apple never made any big announcement for them. Smells like a money-making thing to me.
  • Reply 80 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I can't really answer your question. And I personally was aware that they were pushing anything lately.

However, I would hazard to guess again that it was still in the millions.

As reported, to the question "How many albums have the Beatles have sold over"

UPDATE: Based on the reactions of many here, which seem to reiterate their malcontent for anything that Apple offers, and as evidenced by their initial reactions to the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, et., I would suggest my sales projections, i.e., of 10 million songs, are pessimistic.

It is amazing how success brings out the jealously factor.

Na, looks to me that most of the users here are big Justin Bieber fans!!! Wooo Hoo, I bet you guys can't wait to get the new 50 Cent album too!!!