The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ed isn't up on his bands... he believes that Gino Vannelli is the lead singer for the Beatles.

He just wanted to STOP... and tell you what he thinks about it...

(Lyric connection, to anyone who doesn't know who Gino Vannelli is)
  • Reply 102 of 377
    ...and this is the first time they are selling their music digitally? Wow, they are stupid too. Hopefully no one buys their music on iTunes. They think they are sooo special. Fuck the Beatles.
  • Reply 103 of 377
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You need to re-read this thread.

The comments you're talking about are mostly ridiculing Apple's hype. Today is certainly not a day that we'll never forget. Forgive us for not worshiping the Beatles enough to make the sentence true for us.

This isn't to slam the Beatles or Apple. Rather, just commentary on that one sentence of hype.

Apple's hype?

All that Apple did was announce on their web site that, "Tomorrow is just another day. That you will never forget. Check back tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes."

Apple didn't call a press conference. If there was any hype at all, it came from the media and the blogess sphere.

And based on the reactions so far, it would appear that it will be a day you will never forget. Good or bad.

However, there are more people on this planet that will appreciate this announcement than the idiots that continually troll here. And that will be proven by the end of the first day's sales.
  • Reply 104 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Oh please, everyone knows that the real Paul Mcartney died back in the 60's and that the current one is an impostor, that explains his lack of musical talent. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W51fsg&cad=rja

What happens when you play the iTunes file backwards? Oh, wait...
  • Reply 105 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So this is their big announcement?! This is what caused so much speculation and excitement? A popular band finally comes to iTunes and they deem it worthy of their websites front page?.. WTF

Don?t get me wrong the Beatles are great and all, but I think Steve Jobs classes them as way more important than they are to Apple?s bottom line, it?s not like Apple even makes much money out of selling music.

Now how about announcing something good like the rest of the world finally gets all of the TV shows and movies that the American customers gets at the same price (fat chance)?. Now that would be big or something like the Apple TV gets an app store!

Sarek,

This announcement today will be more significant the older and older a person is. For many of us out here this is absolutely huge. No matter if we even buy the tunes or not. The Beatles had such an impact it may not be easy to understand by a lot of people that didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's. Now this move to iTunes will surely effect how some bands choose to go digital or to offer up songs on iTunes.

Have a fantastic day

Rick in Austin
  • Reply 106 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

So no the band that nearly destroyed rock 'n roll is available on iTunes.

Please IP ban this person on the grounds of music ignorance and all around douchery.
  • Reply 107 of 377
  • Reply 108 of 377
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Oh please, everyone knows that the real Paul Mcartney died back in the 60's and that the current one is an impostor, that explains his lack of musical talent. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W51fsg&cad=rja

That'd explain the robot-like pablum he's been discharging ever since Wings :lol
  • Reply 109 of 377
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?

Meh

Because you want your want to store and play them on a disk, but don?t want to rip all the discs from the Box Set and don?t care about physical contents of the box set?
  • Reply 110 of 377
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Ii got the first comment in on St. Pepper on the UK store. Said it was cr*p.

Wow...

You must be so proud of that accomplishment.
  • Reply 111 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Apple's hype?

All that Apple did was announce on their web site that, "Tomorrow is just another day. That you will never forget. Check back tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes."

Yeah, well when Apple claims something will be unforgettable, it does kinda hype things up a bit.
  • Reply 112 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

This is the most important music news of 2003.

Exactly.
  • Reply 113 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

That'd explain the robot-like pablum he's been discharging ever since Wings :lol

Q: Name a dog with wings.

A: Linda McCartney! *rim shot*
  • Reply 114 of 377
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    good, i'm glad this is over. now steve can get some sleep.

meh.
  • Reply 115 of 377
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

The Beatles total sales estimates range between 1 - 1.3 BILLION albums.

As I quoted, the answer was 1.1+ billion.
  • Reply 116 of 377
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I stood in line to buy their very first 45 rpm, memorized every lyric. Now I don't care for them. Reminds me too much of Viet Nam war and drug crazed hippies - I wish I could forget.
  • Reply 117 of 377
    For the first post that I've made in months... (I'm amazed that I remembered my credentials!)

I'm still quite glad to see that this has finally happened. There are some Beatles albums that I would like to have but have not been able to come by in any music retailer around these parts. (For whatever reason, I prefer purchasing music on a physical medium in a store as opposed to online.)

No matter what you might think of the Beatles, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone (young or old) on the street--whether they listen to music or do not--who does not know who the Beatles are. A lot of bands and musicians would love to have that kind of "household word" recognition.
  • Reply 118 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because you want your want to store and play them on a disk, but don’t want to rip all the discs from the Box Set and don’t care about physical contents of the box set?

Nope, because I'd rather rip them to my iTunes library in 320k or better from the actual CDs. Or at least I think that's what you were asking?
  • Reply 119 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Q: Name a dog with wings.

A: Linda McCartney! *rim shot*

Oh how funny you are.............Asshole.
  • Reply 120 of 377
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?

Meh

Well it would consume more than $20 of my time ripping the cds and then I would have to store all those discs somewhere..