Apple to release iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch today

Comments

• Reply 181 of 217
    Poorly implemented download for the average user, overall.

Took too long (45 mins) to download and install, on just my iPad, and nothing except audio worked until I realized that I hadn't downloaded and upgraded the AppleTV software as well. Apple could have made that simple point obvious (e.g., with some sort of pop-up screen when AppleTV was turned on after installing 4.2).

I'll bet there are a lot of non-tech geeks who are similarly frustrated tonight. And that probably gave up.

Apple's instructions on (and integration of) this stuff is becoming sloppier and sloppier as its platforms proliferate. SJ needs to be careful: as far as the average user is cncerned, he could be falling victim to the very same issues that he assailed Android for.
  • Reply 182 of 217
    **** make airprint work on your network. I did it with my 3Gs, Brother printer, Windows 7 and Itunes 10.1 !!!!!!! It works !!!!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1047779
  • Reply 183 of 217
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    After a few restarts of the update I got it to download in 7 minutes here in Japan.

Btw, where do I click to do text searches in Safari web pages?
  • Reply 184 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

Jailbreakers are pirates.

if you're serious

if you're not
  • Reply 185 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I have the same Apple case and I never need to turn it sideways to see what I'm doing.

But luckily there are options out there regarding cases and now for your convenience a software lock.

I don't use a case so this software lock is a new annoyance.

Why can't it just be set in options what you want that switch to do?

Does Steve have a 'magical' use for this in the future that will get in the way of a user-decides option?

Seems like a simple bit of coding for Steve's Apploompa's to write into the settings - they managed to make the home button multi-functional, why is this switch a one option only button?

• Reply 186 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

But that is too confusing for most iPhone users.

Hi SendMe/ Newtron/ Steve-J/ Bill-G ... WELCOME BACK!
  • Reply 187 of 217
    Bummer. AirPlay doesn't work from Mac/PC --> iPad/ iPhone/ iPod touch
  • Reply 188 of 217
    Is the new jailbreak out for the official release?

I buy original apps only but need 2 very important things on my iPad. SB settings and Frash.

I really want to use the new system, I only can find links to the iOS 4.2 GM jailbreak rather than the official release (4.2.1?).

If I am wrong, please let me know where I can download it thanks.
  • Reply 189 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This is great news. Finally a unified OS for all iOS devices.

I see iOS 6.0 as the unifying OS for iOS and OSX. Lion is the last release of OSX as you cannot top a Lion in the cat world. There's a few more categories of iOS devices to join before that happens though.

ARM has to release their next generation chip designs to manufacturers too (i.e. 64-bit niceness and the next generation of multicore).

You may be proved right in your predictions.

But the Tiger is the king of all cats.

The Amur Tiger is huge and makes

a lion look like a pussy cat.
  • Reply 190 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Is the new jailbreak out for the official release?

I buy original apps only but need 2 very important things on my iPad. SB settings and Frash.

I really want to use the new system, I only can find links to the iOS 4.2 GM jailbreak rather than the official release (4.2.1?).

If I am wrong, please let me know where I can download it thanks.

There is a jailbreak-developer only software available which is tethered and quite complicated. Saurik has announced 4.2 Cydia build is ready, waiting for kernel something-or-other.

I think it will take several more days for a stable untethered jailbreak to be developed, maybe a few weeks for Greenpois0n etc to be updated accordingly.

I need full mirroring (DisplayOut software through Cydia) by December 12th. I don't mind a tethered jailbreak as long as DisplayOut works. Should be ready by then.

4.2.1 is a big release I'm sure all the jailbreak developers and Cydia, etc. developers will be working hard over the next few weeks for us.
  • Reply 191 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Got it at last, - it took some 5 hours to download on my 50mbit connection. Good server speed there Apple, well done.

You may find that the problems were not at AppleServer's side but at your ISP.

I live in Cape Town and started downloading about an hour after it came available. The prediction was 3 hours.

I have a 6Mb line and 2 DSL ISPs. I switched from one to the other and it took less than 15 minutes to get it down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

And wasn't this supposed to enable access to iTunes shared libraries? (so I could stream from iTunes to my iPhone/iPad, rather than have to sync all the time) All I can see is the ability to send video to my Airport Express, which would really be such a useful thing to do... No option too I note to send it to my Apple TV, but then I guess that's because I the original model which Apple no longer supports.

I have not experimented with Apple streaming yet but I stream very successfully using a free App called Zumocast.

One installs it on your iOS devices and also on your Mac or PC. You dont have iTunes functionality but I find the streaming works very well. My only point of concern is how easily it drills through firewalls.

So far so good with 4.2.1. Its on my iPad, Iphone, my wifes iPhone and my kids iPod's

Time will tell
  • Reply 192 of 217
    Updated iPad to 4.2.1 Gotta go to work now, play with it later.

iPhone 4 will keep at 4.1 JB'ed

iPhone 3GS will keep at 4.1 non JB'ed

iPhone 3G will update to 4.2.1 non JB'ed for my mom sometime later.

Peace
  • Reply 193 of 217
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pomme

Jailbreakers are pirates.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

if you're serious

if you're not

I understand both sides of the Jailbreak community arguements but that doesn't discount the fact that there is a very large proportion of thieves in the Jailbreak community. To deny this is silly. More pathetic is that most Stolen apps, for iOS, are extremely low cost, often less than a donut and a cup of coffee.

On the flip side there are many freely distributed apps for Jailbroken iOS devices that really fill in where Apple is resistant to go. In a sense Apple fuels the Jailbreak community by restricting the sale of some types of apps. I have no problem with jailbreaks for additional functionality that Apple doesn't permit or even for developers looking for a different distribution model. Many jailbreakers want nothing more, the unfortunate thing is that jaiobreakers open up the device to thieves.
  • Reply 194 of 217
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Just out of interest I went to Apple support forums to see any feedbacks on 4.2 before I update. Guess what - bugs galore. Have a look, no end of problems. What is happening to Apple these days that they keep issuing buggy software, or bricking devices? Not enough testing before release.

Yes Apples public releases have been extremely pathetic with respect to iOS. However I find mac OS/X getting better with every release, so I don't think the whole comPany is going to hell. Somebody though needs to crack the whip in the iOS devision.

By the way no software is perfect but it has become pretty obvious that Apple seems to care more about iOS release dates than anything.

Quote:

Just seems too much aggravation nowadays to jump in too quick with the updates. Best to wait awhile for the fixes, but annoying just the same. Come on Apple, you can do better than this. My iPhone 3G a case in point

As another 3G owner I feel your pain, what Apple released with respect to 4.2 has left me extremely disappointed. There is no reasonable explanation for that screw up. What was worst was listening to everybody making up excuses for Apples lack of attention.

All of that being said 4.2.1 is looking pretty good on my 3G. Now if only iPad 2 would come out.
  • Reply 195 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I understand both sides of the Jailbreak community arguements but that doesn't discount the fact that there is a very large proportion of thieves in the Jailbreak community. To deny this is silly. More pathetic is that most Stolen apps, for iOS, are extremely low cost, often less than a donut and a cup of coffee.

On the flip side there are many freely distributed apps for Jailbroken iOS devices that really fill in where Apple is resistant to go. In a sense Apple fuels the Jailbreak community by restricting the sale of some types of apps. I have no problem with jailbreaks for additional functionality that Apple doesn't permit or even for developers looking for a different distribution model. Many jailbreakers want nothing more, the unfortunate thing is that jaiobreakers open up the device to thieves.

For me, personally, I need to conduct demos of iPhone4, and possibly in a few weeks, iPad, in action. Having proper video mirroring is absolutely essential for this.

There will always be piracy and there is no way Apple can come out with every feature the jailbreak community develops.

So like I said, for me, I just need Cydia, load up DisplayOut, and that's more or less it. Maybe some OpenSSH for curiousity's sake. But I would be very wary of loading up any other apps/hacks since I want minimal, minimal performance and stability hits from jailbreaking.

For many reasons I don't pay for every single piece of media I download. But for apps, I don't see the point just going out and pirating like crazy just for the sake of it. If I use it, I pay for it, and enjoy the upgrades and functionality. This is for official App Store apps. I don't think I've downloaded one pirated app for "testing". For Cydia apps, I paid once for DisplayOut and I think that is enough. I may pay again but the Cydia system for recognising purchases, etc. is still a little screwy. So I can't say I'm going to be 110% honest on that because I don't want to keep paying for something I already paid for. Plus you need to pay for again to use on a different device, which is not what it is for the App Store, you can use the same app purchased once only on multiple devices.

Ironically my use of iPhone4 and iPad is quite simple. Web, browsing, some entertainment, a few key apps, and that's it.

My morals are never 100% but I thought it important to share my experience.
  • Reply 196 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

LIVE WIDGETS suck the life out of a Battery. A co-worker has android with LIVE WIDGETS and he is constantly worrying about battery life.

Lock Screen - with email and calendar info - Don't want it... that is personal / secure info that I DON"T WANT ON A LOCK SCREEN.

Time would be nice to have... but not critical.

Get a Nokia N8 if this is critical to you.

If you don't want them that's fine, there should always be an option to disable them.
  • Reply 197 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

There is a jailbreak-developer only software available which is tethered and quite complicated. Saurik has announced 4.2 Cydia build is ready, waiting for kernel something-or-other.

I think it will take several more days for a stable untethered jailbreak to be developed, maybe a few weeks for Greenpois0n etc to be updated accordingly.

I need full mirroring (DisplayOut software through Cydia) by December 12th. I don't mind a tethered jailbreak as long as DisplayOut works. Should be ready by then.

4.2.1 is a big release I'm sure all the jailbreak developers and Cydia, etc. developers will be working hard over the next few weeks for us.

Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 198 of 217
    I have to say I am royally peed off at the removal of the screen lock button. Sometimes Apple can be so arrogant it is ridiculous.

They have completely changed the function of a device that people have already bought, this is ridiculous. There is no good reason at all that they could not have it as a user option. I have never, ever heard of any company ever doing this with any product ever. Well done Apple, another first!

Imagine if Ford suddenly had an over the air update and next you get in your car the horn actually turned on the radio and turning on the radio opened the trunk!

Regardless of what other method is in place to provide this function, the very fact that Apple have changed this without giving a single thought to the people currently using the device is sheer arrogance.

I really liked having the lock where it was, and I use it a lot because I use my iPad for reading lots of pdf's. It is just more of a hassle to use to now.
  • Reply 199 of 217
    Yes f'in SWEET I can multitask Atomic Web browser on iPad and my cookies are remembered appropriately. This is HUGE for me.
  • Reply 200 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalonGold View Post

"The reports are true: iOS 4.2.1 does not include text tones on anything earlier than an iPhone 4."

So apparently, if you have a iPhone 3Gs (which you can STILL buy in an apple store) you DO NOT get the new text message sounds! WTF...

I love apple to no end, but what... the sound files are just WAY to much for the iPhone 3Gs to handle? That is PURE BS!

Ah, I see - now it makes sense that you couldn't see them. Except that, as you say, it makes no sense at all to restrict these little audio files to the iPhone 4. I've only recently joined the iPhone party and love the iPhone 4, but this isn't the first time Apple has made a cheap attempt at forcing an upgrade on customers. As you say, the 3GS is still on sale - but anyway, don't existing customers with perfectly capable phones deserve to be treated the same as those who just happen to be out of contract and can afford the latest hardware?