Apple to release iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch today

Comments

• Reply 161 of 217
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Ok figured it out. I liked the switch better. The mute functionality made no sense at all with this switch when the volume control is right there but okay.
  • Reply 162 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalonGold View Post

Did all that, only see the original 6... Anybody got any ideas? Any way i cut it, i only see the crappy 6 old text tones.....

"The reports are true: iOS 4.2.1 does not include text tones on anything earlier than an iPhone 4."

So apparently, if you have a iPhone 3Gs (which you can STILL buy in an apple store) you DO NOT get the new text message sounds! WTF...

I love apple to no end, but what... the sound files are just WAY to much for the iPhone 3Gs to handle? That is PURE BS!
  • Reply 163 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Hunh? I tried that and it didn't work. I don't see a home button unless you mean the main button that on the device.

Yeah, that's called the Home Button...
  • Reply 164 of 217
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i don't know if anyone cares but me but pandora can stream via airplay from ipad and phone to apple tv. also find iphone/ipad works pretty cool
  • Reply 165 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

LIVE WIDGETS suck the life out of a Battery. A co-worker has android with LIVE WIDGETS and he is constantly worrying about battery life.

Lock Screen - with email and calendar info - Don't want it... that is personal / secure info that I DON"T WANT ON A LOCK SCREEN.

Time would be nice to have... but not critical.

Get a Nokia N8 if this is critical to you.

I don't understand why a lock screen can't just be a lock screen. Why does it need to do stuff? It's locked. You keep adding stuff to it and it's really just another mode for your OS.
  • Reply 166 of 217
    Just upgraded the iPad. About 15 minutes, no problems.

MobileMe calendar folks (iPad) take note. You will need to reconfigure the calendar sync in your mobile me settings and delete the old caldev account. I also deleted any subscribed cals. Now it works just like the iPhone 4 so we don't need the workaround. Just turn on calendar sync in your MobileMe account and all is well. Apple will send you an email warning you of this change but I was curious so I figured it out before I got the email.

As for the screen lock thing on the iPad, so much silliness. Look, it is YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE that you like the hardware switch to remain as rotation lock--not your right to have it that way. It makes no sense across devices when the iPhone uses a similar switch differently. Apple I'm sure intended to change this with ios4 because it makes it consistent behavior with the iPhone. What do you think is more intuitive for most apple buyers (hint: they don't even know this forum exists). Seriously, you're complaining about double tapping to use the software orientation lock? Is this what your life has devoved to? Common people! Let's use our noggins just a little bit.

Upgrading the iPhone now and I heard a ding thats it's done. Gotta go.

Peace.
  • Reply 167 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I am surprised that you consider "Find My iPhone" to be worth $100/year. Are you sure that you didn't want anything else? If that is the case, then I think your best solution is clear is clear: cancel your MobileMe subscription the first chance you get. Problem solved. This should make you HAPPY. You'll be saving $100 on the only thing you found useful from MobileMe.

Thompson

He might still need MobileMe if he doesn't have another iOS device capable of running find my phone. Application info says you need either another iOS device with both running the app or a MobileMe account.

Kinda hosed if you don't happen have 2 devices.
  • Reply 168 of 217
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I forgot to say thank you for the help guys!
  • Reply 169 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    That was painless.

Literally took less than 15 minutes start to finish. Sync/download/install

done
  • Reply 170 of 217
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Yar, Matey! Off the plank with ye! Arrrgggh!

Best response I've seen to trolling about piracy.
  • Reply 171 of 217
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Initial playing around with apps seems to indicate that much has been fixed with this release! I will have to put some time into it of course but it does look very good in a 3G at the moment.
  • Reply 172 of 217
    Ok, so where the heck is AirPlay on 10.6.5 QuickTime Player?! I want to send web videos to an Apple TV or an iPhone/iPad!!!
  • Reply 173 of 217
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    What else on my 3G?

Ok it's snappier but any other benefits?

I can't upgrade till late Jan
  • Reply 174 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Ok, so where the heck is AirPlay on 10.6.5 QuickTime Player?! I want to send web videos to an Apple TV or an iPhone/iPad!!!

Double click on the home button, scroll left and press the air play icon
  • Reply 175 of 217
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Btw, why is it taking 7 hours to download here in Japan?

EDIT: Restarted the download...7hours now.

EDIT: Got it in only 7 minutes after another restart.

• Reply 176 of 217
    Just out of interest I went to Apple support forums to see any feedbacks on 4.2 before I update. Guess what - bugs galore. Have a look, no end of problems. What is happening to Apple these days that they keep issuing buggy software, or bricking devices? Not enough testing before release.

Just seems too much aggravation nowadays to jump in too quick with the updates. Best to wait awhile for the fixes, but annoying just the same. Come on Apple, you can do better than this. My iPhone 3G a case in point
  • Reply 177 of 217
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Got it at last, - it took some 5 hours to download on my 50mbit connection. Good server speed there Apple, well done.

it took less than 10mins here. strange.
  • Reply 178 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Just out of interest I went to Apple support forums to see any feedbacks on 4.2 before I update. Guess what - bugs galore. Have a look, no end of problems. What is happening to Apple these days that they keep issuing buggy software, or bricking devices? Not enough testing before release.

Just seems too much aggravation nowadays to jump in too quick with the updates. Best to wait awhile for the fixes, but annoying just the same. Come on Apple, you can do better than this. My iPhone 3G a case in point

Considering the number of people updating all at the same time, some people with jailbroken devices, some people who are too impatient to let the update process complete, I'm actually surprised there aren't more problems. The only apparent real problem seems to be with Exchange servers, and there is a workaround. Seems like a pretty good update process, comparatively.
  • Reply 179 of 217
    I'm sure Jobs said during iOS4.x demo that you'll be able to search a webpage for content, just like pressing Command+F in Safari on a Mac. Did anyone figure out how to do that yet?
  • Reply 180 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm sure Jobs said during iOS4.x demo that you'll be able to search a webpage for content, just like pressing Command+F in Safari on a Mac. Did anyone figure out how to do that yet?

I think this feature is only for Safari on the iPad. Search is still not available on the iPhone or iPod Touch.