Apple posts Black Friday sale teaser

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In advance of the biggest shopping day of the year, Apple has posted a teaser for a Nov. 26 Black Friday sale on its website, telling customers to come back to the Apple Online Store on Friday for a special "holiday shopping event."

The teaser, which is part of Apple's online holiday gift guide, invites customers to "wrap it up this Friday" at the company's "special one-day Apple shopping event."

"You?ll find dozens of great iPad, iPod, and Mac gifts for everyone on your list," reads the teaser, which displays a holiday gift box made up of various Apple products.

Apple has traditionally offered modest discounts on Black Friday (2009, 2008, 2007, 2006), leaving its authorized resellers to come up with steeper discounts. Last year, Apple offered $101 off MacBook Pros and iMacs, while resellers slashed prices by as much as $300.

The iPad is expected to be a top gift this holiday season. According to analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets, Apple recently increased iPad orders in anticipation of strong holiday sales.

Brian White of Ticonderoga securities believes Apple has one of the hottest product lineups ever. "We believe the most coveted gift this holiday season will be the iPad," White wrote in a note to investors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Might I remind people that Apple's Black Friday sales have always been underwhelming in the past. Don't expect anything "super amazing" this year besides some modest discounts (and why would they, they have the hottest Christmas gift of the year, the iPad)
  • Reply 2 of 31
    This is Apple's way of trying to generate interest in saving 4%-8%.

Any saving is nice if you were going to buy anyway, but the "deals" Apple typically offers are no reason to open your MacBook and click "Buy".
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I love APPLE dont get me wrong but their shitty black friday sale really ain't no sale! and we all know that. "iPad $489 on Black Friday!" catch my drift!!!
  • Reply 4 of 31
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    25% off the new Apple TV and I'am sold! Oh well, a guy can dream no?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

This is Apple's way of trying to generate interest in saving 4%-8%.

Any saving is nice if you were going to buy anyway, but the "deals" Apple typically offers are no reason to open your MacBook and click "Buy".

Man, you get the same deal going to the eduction website today!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

25% off the new Apple TV and I'am sold! Oh well, a guy can dream no?

You dream about saving $25 !?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    does this add onto education discount? i can already save 200 bucks on a macbook pro with student education discount. with black friday, im hoping another 100 bucks off... but i doubt its going to happen.

hoping at least the magic mouse drops to 50bucks from 69
  • Reply 8 of 31
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

It's better than nothing no?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Expect a nice discount from APPLE. Doesn't mean that if you have the initiative and time that you won't be able to find a better price.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

You two are pretty funny : )

And $25 is $25! That's lunch and then some.

Or 25 TV show rentals.

Or a down payment on a second Apple TV.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Might I remind people that Apple's Black Friday sales have always been underwhelming in the past. Don't expect anything "super amazing" this year besides some modest discounts (and why would they, they have the hottest Christmas gift of the year, the iPad)

Massive discounts devalue the brand. Apple's typical Black Friday discounts are very modest, typically less than 10%.

Big-time discounting is for companies having problems selling heir products at full retail. That is not a problem for Apple. Why should they discount their products when they sell well the other eleven months of the year?

Let's face it. After the holiday season is over, most retailers will gripe about sales, yet Apple will post Yet Another Record Quarter.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It would be nice if Apple dropped their Australian prices to match the US, after all our dollar is at parity.

Price have not been updated, they seem stuck in a timewarp, a 99c US song is $A1.69, a 99c US App is $A1.29 reflecting the value of the $A at the initial time of pricing.

99c US = $A1
  • Reply 13 of 31
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Let's face it. After the holiday season is over, most retailers will gripe about sales, yet Apple will post Yet Another Record Quarter.

True!

On that note, does anyone remember a holiday season where the final evaluation in Jan or Feb was not described as disappointing? I know there are sometimes positive reports in the middle of the season or right after "Black Friday," but it seems that if you wait, the sales are always reported as less than expected or less than before...
  • Reply 14 of 31
    A teaser on the Apple website, huh? A sale, they say? What do I get, a free Beatle with every MBA?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Black Friday Sale - They'll toss in a second FREE white Apple sticker.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It would be nice if Apple dropped their Australian prices to match the US, after all our dollar is at parity.

Price have not been updated, they seem stuck in a timewarp, a 99c US song is $A1.69, a 99c US App is $A1.29 reflecting the value of the $A at the initial time of pricing.

99c US = $A1

It is probably to cover the shipping costs....
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In advance of the biggest shopping day of the year, Apple has posted a teaser for a Nov. 26 Black Friday sale on its website, telling customers to come back to the Apple Online Store on Friday for a special "holiday shopping event."

The teaser, which is part of Apple's online holiday gift guide, invites customers to "wrap it up this Friday" at the company's "special one-day Apple shopping event."

"You?ll find dozens of great iPad, iPod, and Mac gifts for everyone on your list," reads the teaser, which displays a holiday gift box made up of various Apple products.

Apple has traditionally offered modest discounts on Black Friday (2009, 2008, 2007, 2006), leaving its authorized resellers to come up with steeper discounts. Last year, Apple offered $101 off MacBook Pros and iMacs, while resellers slashed prices by as much as $300.

The iPad is expected to be a top gift this holiday season. According to analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets, Apple recently increased iPad orders in anticipation of strong holiday sales.

Brian White of Ticonderoga securities believes Apple has one of the hottest product lineups ever. "We believe the most coveted gift this holiday season will be the iPad," White wrote in a note to investors.

Heard MBA selling for 35% off list price. who knows?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I have to say, every single year, Apple's black Friday sales get way overhyped, and the actual discounts are borderline pathetic/insulting. Yea I'm going to run out and buy a $2000 computer because there's a $100 discount. What a joke.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    I'm finally getting an iPod touch this year. It's amazing the amount of time my wife and I have spent trying to find the "best" deal. We're talking price differences of $5-10!! Just buy the silly thing!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

It's better than nothing no?

No, it is not. It's an insult to the buyer's intelligence and pocketbook. This is right in line with "the day you will remember forever" and you get the Beatles catalog. Don't get me wrong, it was a long overdue event, but not one that will find a permanent place on my calendar, while the world was waiting for them to disclose something truly useful like a streaming service, etc.

The RDF strikes again.